Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Life Goes On: Organ Donation Thread

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I've donated my brain to the Concussion Legacy Foundation - after I'm finished with it naturally!

These folks are doing amazing research and they need lots of donor brains (concussed and otherwise) to keep doing it. When I read their study and saw the photographs of Aaron Hernandez's brain, I wanted to cry. His brain looked like a wilted, rotten cauliflower. If you ever wonder why [some] football players and professional athletes make millions.... that's why - and it's still not enough to compensate for destroying the single most important organ in your body.

https://concussionfoundation.org/get...earch-registry

I worry about my son. Growing up, he was an Adventurer par excellence and suffered eight diagnosed concussions between the ages of 5-18 years (mostly sports-related), and a ninth when he was 24 (auto accident). After he became a father, he stopped extreme sports, but he's still very active. He is forty-three now, and over the past few years, has begun to show symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Of course, it can't be diagnosed without a brain autopsy, but his doctor is concerned about the possibility based on his documented history of concussions. When he was young, we didn't know anything about the brain. We thought brain damage could never be reversed because we didn't understand the neuro-plasticity of the brain. If I knew then, what I know now, I would never have allowed him to start playing competitive contact sports at the age of six. Football, soccer, wrestling.... for 19 years, this guy was banging his head around on a weekly basis since he was SIX YEARS OLD! Ugh, it sickens me to think about it.

It is terrible to think about the damage that could have been caused to your son's brain engaging in sports all those years. The Foundation itself is doing tremendous work...such a great cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    It is terrible to think about the damage that could have been caused to your son's brain engaging in sports all those years. The Foundation itself is doing tremendous work...such a great cause.
    It really is tragic. A cousin of mine had a couple of concussions as a child and teen and I'm convinced that the damage done led to his suicide. I used to love football. Can't watch it now.

Good for you donating your brain KT.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    It really is tragic. A cousin of mine had a couple of concussions as a child and teen and I'm convinced that the damage done led to his suicide. I used to love football. Can't watch it now.

Good for you donating your brain KT.
    Very sad about your cousin, Puzz.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This made my day:

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    This made my day:

I that.

Thread Information