Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Life Goes On: Organ Donation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-suddenly.html

Mother facing death receives kidney from her son the day after he dies from sudden illness

Zona McGee had suffered kidney disease for more than 20 years and was searching for a donor
    Her son Ryan fell ill earlier this year and died last week without warning
    Ryan's kidney was a match for his mother and a transplant was carried out the day after his death

A Nashville mother who had to watch her son die from an agonizing brain condition has spoken of the bittersweet moment she was told his kidney would be a match for her failing one.

Zona McGee battled kidney disease for two decades and had been on the transplant list for more than three years.

She underwent a life-saving transplant last week just a day after her own son's untimely death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2ceUNoYk1
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    20-year-old Ryan McGee was diagnosed with a brain condition called Chiari earlier this year, which affected his cerebral spinal fluid.

He died on August 11. The next day, his mother received his kidney.

Doctors were unable see if Ryan was a match for his mom whilst he was alive in case he inherited her disease.

However, as an organ donor, he had told doctors that if anything happened to him he wanted her to have his kidney.

It turned out that he was in fact a perfect match.
    'At first, I said I couldn't do it, but I know he would have been so mad at me,' Zona McGee told Nashville's News 2.

'When I went into that surgery, I knew he was with me. I was not afraid. I just felt like, 'Okay, Ryan, you're here with me. We're doing this together,'' said Mrs McGee.

Mrs McGee had written about her experiences on waiting for a kidney donor to come forward in a personal blog.

She tells of the anguish of having to deal with her own condition whilst watching her sick son Ryan deal with his sudden illness.

In her final entry at the start of July she wrote, 'I really need to be strong and healthy so I can be here for my son. I urgently need a kidney donor and now more than ever! '

She said that she is able to find comfort in the death of her son by knowing he helped save so many lives and would eventually like to meet those people, especially the person who received his heart.

A video containing some pictures of Ryan and his family has been posted to YouTube.

Many of his friends and family are finding comfort in his death thanks to the new lease of life his donated kidney will bring to his mother.

His sister Crystal Bowron shared her thoughts, 'He was an organ donor and our mother was able to receive a lifesaving kidney transplant thanks to him. He also gave life to many others through the donation of all of his other organs and tissue. Just knowing he touched so many lives of people I will never even know.... it's amazing. Ryan was an unbelievably sweet.'

Ryan's friend Geno posted a comment stating he found solace in his friends' death.

'These past few days have been unreal for so many people. Hearing the news about Zona's kidney transplant has allowed me to sleep these past few nights. I can't think of a better and more meaningful end to such a wonderful life,' he wrote.

Zona's son, Ryan, did not have to die. I feel so heart broken for her. Ryan knew he was dying and the doctors ignored him. Chiari Malformation is very misunderstood and is often miss diagnosed and often written off as nothing (I know first hand). The entire hospital staff failed this kid and his mother. I am sorry for the loss of your life and will continue to raise awareness and I am thankful you were able to give the gifts of your organs to others. Rest in Peace.

http://zona-lifeonthewaitinglist.blo...-son-ryan.html

Oh, holy shit.

That's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I haven't yet, but will. However, I also know it's slim to none that I will actually have my organs donated.

I have to get donating blood again... While talking with a friend from the bar who donates regularly, I found out we both have "baby blood". I'm an ass for not doing it unless I have a break during school.

This woman actually goes with her motorcycle group and they are in this program that if anyone from their group or any of their family members suddenly need blood, they can access as many pints as needed, priority, based on the total amount the group has donated. Pretty cool set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I've never donated blood or plasma either. There are so many things I can do legally now , ye haw where do I begin?
    I haven't even registered yet...

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaGunn View Post
    I haven't yet, but will. However, I also know it's slim to none that I will actually have my organs donated.
    Why do you think this? Because you don't want to or because you don't think they will be usable? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Why do you think this? Because you don't want to or because you don't think they will be usable? Just curious.
    Because her corpse will be less fuckable without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    Because her corpse will be less fuckable without them.
    Ohhhh, this is that cutiepuff/lovethedead person I've been reading about.

..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    Ohhhh, this is that cutiepuff/lovethedead person I've been reading about.
    Yeah, the one you were MDS friends with.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

watch out now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    Yeah, the one you were MDS friends with.

I probably still am. I've accepted every friend request on my MDS profile page. I received a PM from them once, too. I think it was the "ilovethedead" account.

I am an organ donor and the only thing that makes me squeemish and not keen on doing would be the cornea donation. That is until I read about eye caps and vitreous fluid in that mortician magic thread.

*squeamish.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMichaelBaden View Post
    I am an organ donor and the only thing that makes me squeemish and not keen on doing would be the cornea donation. That is until I read about eye caps and vitreous fluid in that mortician magic thread.
    Welcome, Doc!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Welcome, Doc!

Nice to meet ya!

I wish I could donate blood. My father was in a terrible accident years ago and severed an artery. He only survived because of blood donation and, like him, I have an uncommon type.

But, the stupid blood bank won't take me because they have homophobic restrictions in place. I'm not gay or male, but I do have an on-off relationship with a man who's had a relationship with another man in the past. Even though they always used protection, he's tested negative for every STI, and we use condoms, the blood bank will not accept blood from him or anyone he sleeps with regardless of the safety measures. It doesn't matter if you're a gay man who's obsessively careful about using condoms, you're instantly excluded and so is any woman who has slept with you during the past year. It seems like the policy is based on that stereotype of gay men as exceptionally promiscuous, leather-clad, popper sniffing, bukkake enthusiasts whose only possible method of intercourse is anal. It isn't 1983 anymore and it's time for an update IMO. Personally, I'd feel safer with the blood of the very respectable gay couple who live on my street than some of the heterosexual women I've known. I mean, I'd understand a restriction on anyone, gay or straight, who's having unprotected sex with people who aren't their long-term partner. But, the exclusion applies to all sexually active gay men regardless of whether safe sex is practiced. Meanwhile it's fine to donate blood if you're a female who uses condoms with any number of dodgy hetero men.

From the FDA website:

Defer for 12 months from the most recent contact a female who has had sex during the past 12 months with a man who has had sex with another man in the past 12 months.
    Also as of December the restrictions have been eased up on gay men who wish to donate so maybe you can roll up your sleeve:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/health...ation-changes/

Originally posted by animosity:

Hmu next time, we'll have some soapy gins and then draw each other naked. Until we get kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
    I wish I could donate blood. My father was in a terrible accident years ago and severed an artery. He only survived because of blood donation and, like him, I have an uncommon type.

But, the stupid blood bank won't take me because they have homophobic restrictions in place. I'm not gay or male, but I do have an on-off relationship with a man who's had a relationship with another man in the past. Even though they always used protection, he's tested negative for every STI, and we use condoms, the blood bank will not accept blood from him or anyone he sleeps with regardless of the safety measures. It doesn't matter if you're a gay man who's obsessively careful about using condoms, you're instantly excluded and so is any woman who has slept with you during the past year. It seems like the policy is based on that stereotype of gay men as exceptionally promiscuous, leather-clad, popper sniffing, bukkake enthusiasts whose only possible method of intercourse is anal. It isn't 1983 anymore and it's time for an update IMO. Personally, I'd feel safer with the blood of the very respectable gay couple who live on my street than some of the heterosexual women I've known. I mean, I'd understand a restriction on anyone, gay or straight, who's having unprotected sex with people who aren't their long-term partner. But, the exclusion applies to all sexually active gay men regardless of whether safe sex is practiced. Meanwhile it's fine to donate blood if you're a female who uses condoms with any number of dodgy hetero men.
    They've recently revised them. As long as your guy hasn't had sex with another Male in the past year, you should be good to go. It's not quite there yet, but they're working on it:
    http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVac.../ucm108186.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DrMichaelBaden View Post
    From the FDA website:

Also as of December the restrictions have been eased up on gay men who wish to donate so maybe you can roll up your sleeve:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/health...ation-changes/
    JINX!

The US is seemingly more enlightened than Australia. In Australia, the restriction is still in place. This isn't surprising, gay marriage is still illegal here. Australia could've been a really great country but decades of conservative politicians have made sure it's totally LAME.

Quote Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
    The US is seemingly more enlightened than Australia. In Australia, the restriction is still in place. This isn't surprising, gay marriage is still illegal here. Australia could've been a really great country but decades of conservative politicians have made sure it's totally LAME.
    Oh crap. I forgot you're in Australia. Yeah, we're not THAT far ahead. It was only revised in the last couple of months. I'm sure you'll eventually catch up

It's bullshit that they changed the law to defer blood donation for 12 months. That is effectively saying that if you are a gay man you can choose between sexual contact with your partner or donate. Not both. There are no restrictions on women or men who have sex with the opposite gender, and it's not even possible to accurately answer the questions they ask about your partners with certainty. But if you ar gay and have had a partner for the last ten years, no dice? Fuck that alligator.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    It's bullshit that they changed the law to defer blood donation for 12 months. That is effectively saying that if you are a gay man you can choose between sexual contact with your partner or donate. Not both. There are no restrictions on women or men who have sex with the opposite gender, and it's not even possible to accurately answer the questions they ask about your partners with certainty. But if you ar gay and have had a partner for the last ten years, no dice? Fuck that alligator.
    Before they couldn't donate at all if they had EVER had sex with a Man in their life. So believe it or not, this is progress.

Where's the jerk off emoticon?

I wish I could donate my organs, but I have no doubt they're shot to shit. I've tried to donate blood twice, but because my heart beats like a little scared rabbit all the time it's a no go. No one wants any part of this lemon I pass off as a body lol

Thread Information