Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Goes On: Organ Donation Thread

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Life Goes On: Organ Donation Thread

Do you have a question about organ donation? Are you a donor? Do you not understand why others are/aren't? Do you wish to add a clause saying that you will not donate to anyone who molests children and/or eats animals? If so, you've come to the right place.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    I think some people have a problem with it bc they want the body to look nice for viewing. Also, some think doctors will not try hard enough to save them if they know the patient is a donor. Sounds crazy, but I've heard it said before.
    Viewings are 100% possible when someone is an organ and/or tissue donor. The only time this would be affected is if the donated tissue was the face. I guess I should include that because there have been several cases of face donors. Otherwise, a viewing for a funeral is 100% possible. I think people get misconstrued because they find out someone was an organ and/or tissue donor and had a closed casket. This occurred because the family chose it, or the person had trauma that caused their death didn't allow for an open casket. But, because people heard the person was a donor, it must have been because of it (sarcasm).

Doctor's have no idea when a patient is an organ donor. EMS personnel do not look at ID's prior to bringing a patient into the ER. They are too busy trying to save the patient's life to know or care if the patient is a donor. Likewise with the ER staff. The ER staff busts a nut trying to save the patients life. If the patient came into the ER because of, say, a car accident, the local LE probably has the ID. They need the ID to contact the next of kin. Sometimes LE will come to the ER to see if any labs have been drawn (as an example) because they suspect the accident occurred under the influence. The cops don't interrupt the life saving measures that are taking place to inform the ER staff the patient has a green sticker on his/her license.
    When a patient has been intubated and placed on the mechanical ventilator they may become brain dead. This is NOT declared in the ER. Diagnostic testing must be complete in order to declare brain death. Most hospitals have a policy where diagnostic testing must be completed 12 hours apart, prior to brain death being declared. This is only to appease the organ donor haters because if someone doesn't have any brain activity right now, they ain't gonna have it in 12 hours.

beli- I know you didn't express these as your own personal beliefs and were only sharing what you have heard.

What if one is a Time Lord and has two hearts? As with kidneys, can we just donate one if a loved one is in need? I'm sure an episode has addressed this, but I can't recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Oh and I will say to Dana, that you would never even know anyways who your organs went to. I don't even believe it to be fair that a moral compass is used to decipher who should be able to cntinue on living and who shouldnt. Very slippery slope and not a very good one to use.

Lines should be drawn in the sand and there should be no rules other than imo, a look at their past health issues and how they dealt with them. I think organs should be placed with people who are genuinely doing everything to live and are fighting for that chance and we have to leave that decision to their Dr's on whether they get to be on a transplant list or not.
    Makes sense and agree. Sadly, I don't believe doctors get to choose. Or maybe I've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy Aren't there certain things that disqualify you from getting a transplant?

The hospital that my friend was at, the one with the fever (it was 105), they said his organs couldnt be donated but I never asked specifics on it but am curious about this.

I would like to know:

1. When a person is on life support and clearly no brain activity, how do they know that person's organs are okay or safe for a transplant?
    2. How long can the organs be left without oxygen being pumped into them before they are considered not useable?
    3. When the donated organs are taken out, and the family still wants an open casket, are there certain measures that have to be taken because basically a bunch of stuff was taken out and now their is alot of room in there? I just imagine like a body being caved in because things have been taken out.
    4. A friend of mine received a kidney years back, he had complete kidney loss and was on dialysis. They called him in and he was given one kidney. He got really sick and they found out that the kidney was bad. Makes me wonder about the screening process or if the kidney like 'died' en route to the patient?
    5. Are there any certain body parts that absolutely cannot be used no matter how healthy or sick the organ donor was when they were deceased?
    6. Does a person have to be on life support in order for surgeons to get the parts? In other words, a person dies at home and an ambulance picks their body up and taken to the morgue and they know he is a donor........can they still take parts from the person?

Im going to back up what Morbid is saying: EMS workers and doctors do not concern themselves with who is an organ donor and who isnt. From what i have seen, once a person is declared brain dead and is on life support, then the discussion begin with the family about organ donation.

I set people up for surgeries and i know that "organ donation" isnt a question asked to patients before any kind of surgery. The only question that is asked is whether they would take blood or blood products if necessary in a life saving situation.

Just to state it, i would donate anything except my eyes - corneas, because im just scared of eyeballs, and i just... no. i want to keep my eyes. take anything else.

Hahhaa Zo, I said the same thing about my eyeballs too but really, once we are dead we wont feel the tugging and pulling and ripping out that comes along with the donation.
    See, if we (meaning you and me that like our eyeballs and are freaked out about it) are dead, we know the difference so let's unite here together in front of all our morbid death seeking online friends that yes, we dont want our eyeballs taken but when we die they can do whatever.

Also, when I die I think it would be wonderful for all of you to show up at my funeral service and talk to my family members but when you do, address me by 'WTBB' or 'White trash bitchy blonde' and also introduce yourselves to my family and friends using your screen names here. Oh, and bring my boob pics with you in a nice frame and proclaim to my family how much you all loved me on the 'death site'.

This would be awesome.

Im not a pro, but

The hospital that my friend was at, the one with the fever (it was 105), they said his organs couldnt be donated but I never asked specifics on it but am curious about this.

I would like to know:

1. When a person is on life support and clearly no brain activity, how do they know that person's organs are okay or safe for a transplant?
    2. How long can the organs be left without oxygen being pumped into them before they are considered not useable?
    3. When the donated organs are taken out, and the family still wants an open casket, are there certain measures that have to be taken because basically a bunch of stuff was taken out and now their is alot of room in there? I just imagine like a body being caved in because things have been taken out.
    4. A friend of mine received a kidney years back, he had complete kidney loss and was on dialysis. They called him in and he was given one kidney. He got really sick and they found out that the kidney was bad. Makes me wonder about the screening process or if the kidney like 'died' en route to the patient?
    5. Are there any certain body parts that absolutely cannot be used no matter how healthy or sick the organ donor was when they were deceased?
    6. Does a person have to be on life support in order for surgeons to get the parts? In other words, a person dies at home and an ambulance picks their body up and taken to the morgue and they know he is a donor........can they still take parts from the person?
    depends what the person died from: if the person was shot, or in a car accident then more than likely, (depending on the victim's lifestyle) their organs are fine for donation, because they died of some unrelated disease. like if they committed suicide by shooting themselves in the head, then their heart, lungs, kidneys ect would be fine for donation as long as they were found in a state in which they could be put on life support.

life support only does the things your brain can no longer do for the person, breath and pump oxygen into the body - the organs should be able to continue to function. the heart does not operate under neural control. it has its own electrical system, (i.e how people can have a beating heart while brain dead) so as long as that can function, then it should be viable for donation.

as far as time frames and such, im not sure on details - but i know that it needs to be within a relatively short amount of time, 24 hours maybe? 36?

Hahhaa Zo, I said the same thing about my eyeballs too but really, once we are dead we wont feel the tugging and pulling and ripping out that comes along with the donation.
    See, if we (meaning you and me that like our eyeballs and are freaked out about it) are dead, we know the difference so let's unite here together in front of all our morbid death seeking online friends that yes, we dont want our eyeballs taken but when we die they can do whatever.

Also, when I die I think it would be wonderful for all of you to show up at my funeral service and talk to my family members but when you do, address me by 'WTBB' or 'White trash bitchy blonde' and also introduce yourselves to my family and friends using your screen names here. Oh, and bring my boob pics with you in a nice frame and proclaim to my family how much you all loved me on the 'death site'.

This would be awesome.
    anyone that knows me, knows i wanna keep my eyeballs hahahahah - anyways, im sooo fucking blind, no one wants my fucked mis-shapen corneas. theyd open their eyes and be like WTF!!! lol

From Dana in the Colby thread:

Thank You. Yes!

I'm actually not completely opposed to hunting, I would MUCH rather people do that than consume farm factory products. It's healthier too. When I think hunting for fun, I think canned hunting too. That came to mind when I wrote that too. And people who run down animals for fun. 2 dog were killed intentionally not too long ago, the family was devastated.

I'm sorry if my wording isn't right. I'm trying to make it clear that I don't expect people to share these views with me (which I've said many times). I don't like that people have attacked me off of assumptions, that really has happened numerous times. I even said I respectfully agree to disagree. It's not a big deal. I'm not sitting on this side of the computer saying "Man, these people are stupid! They are murderers who are evil and deserve to die!" Not at all. I'm a very compassionate person, but it burns me up inside hearing stories (I've heard SO many) of people getting a 2nd set of organs because they ruined theirs, then they do the same to the 2nd batch. If I give my organs away, I want to know that the people are contributing to society and helping build our future for the better.
    I am completly against canned hunting and think it's disgusting. I also don't like poachers but when times are really tough and people need to feed their families I am not going to go off and say they are assholes for trying to provide for their fmailies. Still, the rule applies in my book that all parts are used. People who poach or legally hunt only for hides or horns piss me off.
    I do understand where you are coming from on wantng your organs to be appreciated and all i can say to that is that even if a person was in prison for murder, and even tho I feel they are shit off my shoes, they still have a right to live. Im actually really suprised at myself for feeling that way. The dr's don't know the moral integrity of their patients that need organs so basically being an organ donor means you are just an organ donor and you cannot stipulate who gets what and why.
    All anyone can do is hope for the best for that person.
    Oh and that heartbreaking time when the fmaily has to figure out of they want to donate, for me personally and not speaking for anyone else but even though i know someone will benefit from my loss, it's hard to set aside the emotions and thoughts of your loved one being 'cut up for parts'. That would be me that would be so upset that i wouldnt be able to make a decision fast enough.

Here's my thing with the clusterfuck the Colby thread turned into. You know how anti capital punishment people say "If one innocent person dies, it's not worth it"? Why is it ok if you withhold a live saving organ from someone, someone who meets all moral/ethical standards you hold, on the off chance the person who gets your organ is an asshole?

I know it's not exactly the same thing, just trying to draw a parallel.

i didnt really get into the Colby thread, but is there someone REALLY saying that they dont want their non meating eating organs going to a meat eater.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me it aint so.

listen, once youre dead, that its it. yes, i dont want my eyes torn out of my head, but if it is, well what the fuck am i gonna do about it... NUTHIN.

i can see that you wouldnt want your organs going to some child toucher or killer or asshole - but what can you really do? maybe, getting your organ will turn that fuckface's life around - but just saying, if youre a kid toucher or serial killer, youre probably not high on the recipient list for whatever circumstances - no insurance, or lifestyle that isnt conducive to organ transplantation. Like, if i died, and my heart went to Dick Cheney, i would have punch one million dead afterlife babies... but what the fuck are the chances. and chances are you dont know or do not give any fucks.
    whatever man, youre dead. let go. walk into the light or some shit.

I am a donor, they can take what is not damaged from my abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I am a donor, they can take what is not damaged from my abuse.
    I'm actually sad to learn skin donations come from the back, and tattoos prohibit that. I got Rican thighs though, maybe they'll make an exception haha

All anyone can do is hope for the best for that person.
    Oh and that heartbreaking time when the fmaily has to figure out of they want to donate, for me personally and not speaking for anyone else but even though i know someone will benefit from my loss, it's hard to set aside the emotions and thoughts of your loved one being 'cut up for parts'. That would be me that would be so upset that i wouldnt be able to make a decision fast enough.
    That's why it's so important to decide this for yourself and set it in stone so your family doesn't have to make the decision. I think it's a relief to families when the decision is already made.

I still don't know if I'd rather donate my body for education purposes or just keep myself as an organ donor.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    Like, if i died, and my heart went to Dick Cheney, i would have punch one million dead afterlife babies... but what the fuck are the chances. and chances are you dont know or do not give any fucks.
    whatever man, youre dead. let go. walk into the light or some shit.

Well, alright then.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    1. If a patient is declared brain dead and has no pre existing conditions, they do a number of tests to check lab levels for the organs. Specific tests indicate the health of the organ. If the cause of brain death is trauma related, then those areas affected by the trauma are not suitable for transplant.

2. It depends on the organ. You have only about 6 hours to transplant a heart from the time it leaves the donors body. They all must be packed on ice. Kidneys have about 12 hours, and the time for other organs varies as well.

3. Surgeons only do what is necessary to remove organs, in most cases very small incisions. The body is then sewn back together with minimal change to it's appearance. Also, the funeral homes are very adept at making a body look "natural" for viewing, no worries.

4. I'm sorry about your friend. Did you know that you only need about 1/5 (one fifth) of one kidney to function normally? When you have kidney disease, what they call ESRD or end stage renal disease, you're in for a ton of craziness. The diseased kidneys can't filter out the byproducts of metabolism and the kidney can't clean the blood like it is supposed to. Organs work best in the body they originate in. Putting them in another body, no matter how "close" a match they are, is not the ideal situation. The screening process is very thorough with regard to the medical testing, but a thorough history has to be obtained from the donor family and the recipient family in order to help ensure better success.

5. The transplant team and organ procurement professionals will decide what parts are suitable for donation so the final word lay with them. They look at the organs physically and check lab values and decide what can be donated and what can't.

6 Sorry, but they do. You can't die at home and transplant your organs. Organs must have a continuous blood and oxygen supply to be suitable for transplantation. Typically, only individuals who have been determined brain dead in a hospital intensive care unit, have the potential to be organ donors. However, tissue and eye donation can occur when someone dies at home.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Yea, I'd hate to save a dick (Cheney). It may make me an ass, but his life is less worthy than... well, anyone's. Heheh. But statistics win out for me.

How about selling organs? Legal or nay? My body, my choice.
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Anyone here see the documentary 65_redroses? Most depressing documentary ever made.

http://65redroses.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    *marking my spot*

I am an organ donor. It is something I feel very strongly about. My pops just couldn't do it. He had his own ideas about god and the afterlife (most of running along the lines of "malarkey"), but he was raised Jehovah's Witness and I guess some of that stuck with him even if he didn't realize it.

His argument was, what if Reincarnation DID exist? God would come to him to return him to earth and say "you dumbass, I can't send you back, you gave away all your organs!" I tried to explain it's just your soul and the body is a temple and all that blah blah blah but he wasn't having it. These "beliefs" also influenced his decision on cremation (God: well, I can bring you back as ashes in an ashtray but other than that, I got nothing. Dumbass.)

And for those that asked, when my friend's boyfriend died, they donated his eyes (fireworks mishap, that's all they could donate ). She told us at the wake and if she hadn't, you wouldn't have known any better. They have plastic implants and stuff to make the body up so it doesn't look like it's missing anything. They did an amazing job with John because in addition to the eye donation, his entire chest was pretty much a huge crater. Didn't know it to look at him though.
    RIP John
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

*marking my spot*

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    Since we aren't discussing it in the other thread anymore but do I even have to quote all the times dana posted something and then adamantly declared, "I didn't say that!!!"?

Chauncy, my brother in law uses a bow and arrow most of the time for big game. He uses a small cal rifle for the smaller stuff like dove and what not. It takes a lot of skill to shoot a bow and arrow. I tried it a few weeks ago and my arm was killing me afterwards.

I'm an organ donor. Really, I don't care who gets it and who doesn't. It's not for me to decide which lives are more valuable. I also believe in karma so if a piece of shit gets it, then I feel like they'll be taken care of in a couple of years. I'm trying to convince my mom to do a body world's donation. She wants to be cremated anyways or donated to science if she dies from something rare.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

I am an organ donor.
    My mother worked as a nurse and has very strong feelings AGAINST donation, and has flat out told me she would over ride my decision to donate. Im not sure that is actually possible but I made sure my SO knows my intentions just in case.

After reading the Colby thread, I will say that I am putting a clause in that danaskully is NOT allowed to be a recipient of my organs, on account of being a holier than thou douchetool, whose hypocrisy gives animal activists, vegetarians and vegans a bad name. Plus you are out your dam mind
    BTW... I did not see a direct answer from you Dana..would you acceot the organs of a "morally reprehensible" omnivore if transplantation were your only hope? I only saw you evade the question when it was asked to you- if I missed it elsewhere I apologize ( to everyone else, not you dana- you still suck out loud )
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Oh! I was trying to remember what I wanted to say in here.....blah, I suck. Anyways, Chauncy made the comment about the bow and arrow aspect of hunting. I don't like Bows, I don't like animals being hunted with them. My reasons are because animals don't always die immediatly after being shot with a bow. If a hunter doesnt get straight to the heart in one shot, the animal really does suffer.
    The arrows, when shot, pierce the skin and rip into flesh. Animals that have an arrow in them will run as fast as they can to get away and with each movement they make, the arrow rips up more tissue causing more pain. A lot of times, hunters have to walk miles following a blood trail to get to the animal and by the time they find it, it has suffered too much.

I believe in using guns with very accurate and spot on scopes. If an animal is giving it's life, take it as fast and painlessly as possible and don't shoot unless you know you can drop that animal with one single bullet.

Thread Information