Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dead Brazilian boy sits up in coffin at his own funeral and asks for water before dying again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dead Brazilian boy sits up in coffin at his own funeral and asks for water before dying again

A two-year-old boy sat up in his coffin and asked for water before laying back down again lifeless, according to a Brazilian news website.

In a case that seems almost too incredible to be true, ORM claimed that Kelvin Santos stopped breathing during treatment for pneumonia at a hospital in Belem, northern Brazil.

He was declared dead at 7.40pm on Friday and his body was handed over to his family in a plastic bag.

The child's devastated family took him home where grieving relatives held a wake throughout the night, with the boy's body laid in an open coffin.

But an hour before his funeral was due to take place on Saturday the boy apparently sat up in his coffin and said: 'Daddy, can I have some water?'.

The boy's father, Antonio Santos, said: 'Everybody started to scream, we couldn't believe our eyes. Then we thought a miracle had taken place and our boy had come back to life.

'Then Kelvin just laid back down, the way he was. We couldn't wake him. He was dead again.

Mr Santos rushed his son back to the Aberlardo Santos hospital in Belem,where the doctors reexamined the boy and confirmed that he had no signs of life.

He said: 'They assured me that he really was dead and gave me no explanation for what we had just seen and heard.'

The boy's family decided to delay the funeral for an hour in the hope that he would wake up again, but ended up burying him at 5pm that day in a local cemetery.

Convinced that his son was victim of medical malpractice, Mr Santos has now registered a complaint with the police who have launched an investigation
    He said: 'Fifteen minutes after rushing him away for resuscitation, they came and told me he was dead and handed me his body. Perhaps they didn't examine him properly. Dead people don't just wake up and talk. I'm determined to find out the truth.'

The local state department today confirmed the boy had been admitted to hospital in a critical condition and was declared dead after suffering cardiac-respiratory failure.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1x43VhYjB

Oh, wow. That would be such a mind f*ck.
    I don't think the family will get very far with a malpractice suit. They left the hospital with his deceased body, and carried it back in deceased.

i dunno if i believe that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Geez, if something like that happened with my child I wouldn't be able to bury him for a few days because I'd constantly worry he'd awake again!

yeah, i don't think i buy it either.

I could be wrong, and I doubt a dead person could actually formulate words, but aren't there cases of the dead moving at least?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

yes, rigor mortis can cause a dead person to sit up straight. at least i was told that by a kid who worked in a funeral home. holly or kwd could confirm, i'm sure.

That is what I was thinking.. where is kwd??

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

From what I've hear rigor could do that. My mom was friends with one of the funeral home directors in town. He was working on a body and rigor caused it's arm to fly up and it knocked his cigarettes out of his pocket. He decided to stop smoking after that.

I really doubt he said anything. This smells like bullshit.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I really doubt he said anything. This smells like bullshit.
    Agreed. And what, do other countries not do anything to bodies to prepare them for burial? They just lay them in coffins and put 'em in the ground? Sounds very fishy to me as well.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mortis88 View Post
    Agreed. And what, do other countries not do anything to bodies to prepare them for burial? They just lay them in coffins and put 'em in the ground? Sounds very fishy to me as well.
    Actually LOTS. America is rare in the steps we take with our burials, and to most people, we're the weirdos.

I still remember my Israeli aunt getting so annoyed at the Jewish funeral process in the states. She was like, "In Israel, we strip you, take you out, throw you in the plot Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust."

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Actually LOTS. America is rare in the steps we take with our burials, and to most people, we're the weirdos.

I still remember my Israeli aunt getting so annoyed at the Jewish funeral process in the states. She was like, "In Israel, we strip you, take you out, throw you in the plot Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust."
    Cool. I always wondered how it worked in other places.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I used to think that people were usually embalmed not long after passing but grandma, my mom, brians mom and jammies mom, none of them were embalmed but maybe it was because they were cremated? Im not sure.

It's interesting what other cultures do with people who have passed. I do have a friend that lost her youngest son to gangrene (?). He was 4, diabetic and had twisted his ankle. They took him to the hospital and they wrapped it, and they wrapped it too tight. A few days later, they took him back in because he was sick. They unwrapped his leg, found the gangrene and that afternoon, his systems started fialing him. They transferred him to a childrens hospital a few hours away and he passed that night.
    It was incredibly sad. When he passed, his momma wouldnt let go of him. The hospital saw just how bad her grief was and they knew they werent going to get that baby from her. They gave her and her husband the hospital room for the night but if he wasnt to be cremated, then they would have to do a closed casket funeral for him because the embalming process was going to be put off for too long.
    She didnt care, she just wanted one last night to hold her son and grieve. It was incredibly sad.

I don't know if thats always the case but thats what she was told in this case. Also, her and her husband sued our hospital over this. Not sure of the outcome.

I'm not buying it either but if that were to happen I would immediately trip balls and start drinking. Heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

they don't embalm you if you're creamted--no need to. but i'm pretty sure it's illegal (maybe not everywhere) to bury someone in the states without embalming them first, or having them cremated. i know 'green burial' is something more people are getting into, but i don't know much about it.

actually after some internet research it sounds like it is legal to bury without embalming, and it's even legal to cross state lines without embalming. i guess i shouldn't believe everything i learned at my local funeral home when i was in middle school.

http://www.funeral411.com/Embalming_DSKZ.html

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    they don't embalm you if you're creamted--no need to. but i'm pretty sure it's illegal (maybe not everywhere) to bury someone in the states without embalming them first, or having them cremated. i know 'green burial' is something more people are getting into, but i don't know much about it.

actually after some internet research it sounds like it is legal to bury without embalming, and it's even legal to cross state lines without embalming. i guess i shouldn't believe everything i learned at my local funeral home when i was in middle school.

http://www.funeral411.com/Embalming_DSKZ.html
    Everyone should read the book The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford because she addresses a ton of the shady as fuck things funeral homes will tell you. They're the ones that started all the rumors about the state a body must be in to be buried because they wanted to sell more services. And even though it's illegal to lie, they will do tons of shit to misrepresent.

The book makes an excellent point that the three most expensive things you'll ever do in life is buy a house, have a baby, and plan a funeral. And for two of those things, you have plenty of planning time, whereas a funeral, you have about three days. To do one of the most costly things you'll do in a lifetime. And you're under severe emotional stress.

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar
    My two cents, embalming isn't necessary unless the body is held out of refrigeration after 24 hours i.e. services with public viewing or if transferring to another country that requires it. As far as the Jewish customs (orthodox or conservative) embalming is never done. Bodies are washed, shrouded and buried or transferred (in ice packs or dry ice)to Israel within 24hours.

As far as this article, I think the family was caught up in their grief and their imagination took over.

That was amazing kwd.

I have to agree with Bowie about the whole financial part of funerals. When grandma passed, it was like 2 weeks before I was given access to the money I needed in order to have her cremated and actually they went ahead and did the cremation before I had paid for it AND allowed me to come in and see her without charging me. I think I saw her at least 4 or 5 times, I can't remember.
    With mom, they wouldnt do the cremation until I paid and so I rushed like crazy trying to get the money together because it bothered me that she was in that refrigerator. I can't remember how long it took but I think it was roughly a week maybe. And it was the same funeral home and they wanted 150 to view her. After begging and begging, they finally let me see her without charging me.
    I swear that having to deal with a loss that was so enormous and THEN having to deal with the finances is so incredibly difficult. I wonder how many people have relatives that have been cremated and then couldnt pay and the funeral home keeps the ashes? Wonder how many times that happens?

the difference between what i paid for my father's service and what my mom paid for my grandmother's was obscene. i had to deal with a lazy, disorganized funeral director but at least his prices were not hideously padded the way the more professional funeral home my mom went through were. she paid thousands more for my grandmother, and the only real difference was that she had a service in a church and already owned the plot where i had to buy one.

thanks for the info, bowie. i'll have to look into that book it sounds fascinating.

On the subject of funerals and whatnot, A Family Undertaking is a really good PBS documentary about the options that are available when a death occurs. It's mainly about home funerals, but I discovered that some of the services provided by a funeral home that I thought were required, are in fact, optional. It used to be available on Netflix streaming, but I think it's just dvd now. bummer... I would watch it again lol

My mom and Brians mom passed before the new year and so when jammies mom passed, the prices were lowered by 500$. They had changed all the pricing on the 1st. I was a little upset but didnt say anything because I was helping with my MIL's situation but it did bother me.

My FIL decided that instead of paying the 300$ for the container for her body to be cremated in, he decided to build hers. Ugh, it sucked. I had to call and make sure I had all the exact specifications just to make sure there were no hiccups. Myhusband had such a hard time with building that damn box. Plus when we went to the viewing, they had put that box in the bed of my Truck and omg, i hated seeing that and asked for them to get it out as soon as possible. Creeped me out.

And here's just a little wiki about the book bowie mentioned. I havent read it yet but here is the link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Way_of_Death

I don't believe this at all. If my child supposedly sat up and talked, no way in hell I'd bury him just hours later.

Aw I was gonna add my 2cents but kwd said it first... and much better than I would probably would have... haha.

Thread Information