Thread: Snake handling evangelist Mack Wolford (44) succumbs to snake bite

Snake handling evangelist Mack Wolford (44) succumbs to snake bite

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012..._a_Rattlesnake

(CNN) - When Mack Wolford, one of the most famous Pentecostal serpent handlers in Appalachia, is laid to rest Saturday at his West Virginia church, a week after succumbing to a snake bite, his friends may very well show up with boxes of copperheads, rattlesnakes and cottonmouths.

That's the Holiness Pentecostal way in tiny mountain towns like Matoaka, home to Wolford's House of the Lord Jesus church. When one believer dies from a venomous bite, others often insist that it's still God's will that Christians obey a phrase in Scripture they say mandates the handling of serpents.

Wolford's own dad was a serpent handler who died from a snake bite in 1983.

Mack Wolford, who was 44, made headlines this week after he was bitten by his yellow timber rattlesnake at an evangelistic event in a state park about 80 miles west of Bluefield, in West Virginia's isolated southern tip.

He enjoyed handling snakes during worship services, but it's a tradition that has killed about 100 practitioners since it started in the east Tennessee hills in 1909.
    http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...ion/?hpt=hp_c1

Last edited by Olivia; 06-03-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: To correct forum-based quoting errors - added article
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

natural selection

If only he'd had more faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    If only he'd had more faith.
    God had plans for him in heaven.

I wonder if they spoke parseltongue. I thought religious people hated HP.
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

The whole speaking in tongues thing has always scared me. I worked in a group home and we would take the clients to a church that they liked. I was sitting in the front and there was a lady who got up and she was raising her arms and talking in gibberish and her eyes were rolling in the back of her head.

Few years later, I was told that God does speak to people like that during worship or wherever else and I was like HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT THE PERSON IS SAYING?
    I was told that if it's a true speaking tongues session, then god would have provided a person to 'translate'.
    I don't know if this makes sense the way Im saying it but in my head it sounds right....lol

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    The whole speaking in tongues thing has always scared me. I worked in a group home and we would take the clients to a church that they liked. I was sitting in the front and there was a lady who got up and she was raising her arms and talking in gibberish and her eyes were rolling in the back of her head.

Few years later, I was told that God does speak to people like that during worship or wherever else and I was like HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT THE PERSON IS SAYING?
    I was told that if it's a true speaking tongues session, then god would have provided a person to 'translate'.
    I don't know if this makes sense the way Im saying it but in my head it sounds right....lol
    yeah, this. that is why i hate my old pentecostal (spelling?) church. there were these bitches there that would be "speaking in tongue" and would tell anyone else who couldn't do it was because they were not "holy" enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post

That's the kind of church Palin attends. Yea, they're fucking nuts. My friend took me to one back when I was coming out as an atheist. Definitely was NOT the way to change my mind. LOL.

But parseltongue is how Harry Potter and Voldemort talk to snakes. I was trying to make a joke.

My friend begged me to go along with her to her church's women's retreat. Like an idiot, I went. We went to this sermon that was more drama than anything else. They turned off all the lights, had a spotlight on the preacher, and had thunder and lightning effects. It was ridiculous. I'm trying not to fall asleep, and all of a sudden someone starts up the gibberish. They were really loud and it freaked me out. If I hadn't been 100 miles from home and without my car, I would have hauled ass out of there.

I think ya know, religion is already such a tricky topic because there are so many beliefs that we are all going to be wtf when we see something like that.

I personally belive in God and the bible, that's just me....doesnt make me any better or any worse and I respect each persons view and expect mine to be respected in return.
    So with that being said, I found the speaking in tongues to be kind of scary to me. I also think that the reason that I might have felt so uncomfortable was because it's possible in my mind that the few people that were doing it, maybe were faking it. I hate saying that but I really do believe that if God is speaking thru a person, he would make sure we all understood what he was saying.
    The snakes, fire, lighting, sound effects imo are not needed in order to teach church members about the religion and their belief.

Like I said, only my opinions. I do love going to churches that have amazing choirs! I love seeing people really enjoying the music and feeling it, it's pretty cool.

I went to a funeral for one of my ex's co-workers back in the day. It was held at an AME church.

The ladies of the church had these beautiful satin throws over their arms which I was extremely curious about.

Turns out that when the female members of the church 'fell out' during a service (either from grief when they screamed "Take me now, God!" or from collapsing after speaking in tongues), they used these throws to place over the female member's legs so they wouldn't be flashing beaver creek to the rest of the congregation.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

That's so crazy but I guess it's a good thing so no one sees the goods. I was trying to think of what church it was we took the clients to and I wanna say it might have been Pentacostle but I can't be sure.

I never saw it again after that. Of course, I was raised Mormon so everything I was taught there was wayyy different than anywhere else. Later when I got older and was on my own, I was going to a southern baptist church. It was small and very friendly but I think I was the youngest member there. I like smaller churches but I also like to be able to meet other people my age.
    I was invited to a friends church here and my friend was telling me that they have a large amount of younger people and a lot of tattoo'd and pierced people which I think is great and they dont care what you wear as long as it's respectful. Mormon churches, women are supposed to wear dresses and men are supposed to wear ties. Ugh, I fucking hated wearing dresses.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    what a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Quote Originally Posted by neenerneener View Post
    what a dumbass.
    lol apparently the snake didn't get the "no biting, we're gonna sing & dance today" memo.

God love them for thinking you can play with fire and not get burned. I am surprised that they have only lost 100 people 113 years. Wonder if those numbers are fudged?!

Thread Information