Thread: Marina Keegan (22) was killed in an automobile accident.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Marina Keegan (22) was killed in an automobile accident.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...obile_accident

DENNIS - A Wayland woman died Saturday afternoon in a one-car accident on Route 6.

State police confirmed Marina Keegan, 22, of Wayland died in the rollover crash around 2:20 p.m. near Exit 9B on the highway. Michael Gocksch, 22, of Centerpoint, N.Y., was driving the 1997 black Lexus ES300 and was taken to Cape Cod Hospital. He is in stable condition, according to police.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.

Preliminary investigation by state police troopers Joseph Rabbit and Daniel Cavanaugh, along with information from eyewitness accounts, said the vehicle "drifted off the road and into the right side guardrail. The vehicle then careened back across the road, crashed into the left side guardrail and rolled over at least twice before coming to rest in the road," according to a police statement.

State police said speed does not appear to be a factor. Dennis police declined to comment.

Route 6 eastbound was closed for about two hours. Traffic was rerouted off the highway into Dennis and caused significant delays, according to police. The road was reopened at 5:45 p.m.

The accident occurred on the stretch of highway commonly known as Suicide Alley, named so because of the high number of fatal accidents that have taken place there in the past.

From 1970 to 1989, 36 people were killed along the 12.8-mile stretch, according to Times archives.

The stretch of road drew attention after a 1989 accident in which Lois Ann Scholomiti and her two children, Lauren and Nicholas, lost their lives in a head-on crash.

That crash caused state officials to increase safety measures, and accidents have dramatically decreased in years since.

But the danger persists. In August 2009, Angela Champ, 19, of Harwich died there after a head-on collision.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...cid=sitesearch

She was in the 2012 Yale graduating class and had recently published this article to be used in her class commencement exercises. It's heart wrenching to read as she was clearly such a bright and optimistic young lady.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...te-loneliness/

RIP Marina.
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 05-28-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: To add article URL

her facebook? - http://www.facebook.com/marina.keegan

she was beautiful and seemed like a great girl.
    Last edited by beli; 05-28-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Such a beautiful girl, and she writes very well. Tragic. Rest in peace, Marina.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Article created.

RIP Marina
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Very fitting writing piece. Such a talented young woman. It's such a shame that her life was cut short.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

Boyfriend fell asleep at the wheel...

May 29, 2012

WELLFLEET — "She loved, loved, loved the sea."

Marina Keegan sailed in Wellfleet Harbor off Chequessett Neck Road, where her family owned a home. She walked the trails on Great Island. She always bought black raspberry frozen yogurt, no cone, at the town pier.

Marina Keegan garnered national attention for an essay in the Yale Daily News in September: http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...s-have-doubts/

The 22-year-old writer died in a rollover crash Saturday afternoon on Route 6 in Dennis. She had graduated from Yale University the week before the crash.

"She always has been a child of the sea," Keegan's mother, Tracy, said by phone from Wayland on Monday.

The name "Marina" means "of the sea," Tracy Keegan said. Her daughter had once confided that if anything happened to her she wanted to be cremated and have her ashes spread over Cape Cod Bay.

"That's how much she loved it," Tracy Keegan said.

Tracy and Kevin Keegan were waiting for their daughter to arrive in Wellfleet on Saturday. Instead, the family found state police at their doorstep with news that Marina had been in an accident. She was a passenger in a 1997 black Lexus that had drifted off the road and into the right guardrail. The car had then careened across two lanes and hit a guardrail on the left, and then rolled over at least twice.

The driver, Keegan's boyfriend, Michael Gocksch, 22, of New York, was released from Cape Cod Hospital on Saturday, a hospital spokesman said. Gocksch fell asleep at the wheel, according to Kevin Keegan on Monday.

The case remains under investigation, a state police spokesman said Monday evening. Speed does not appear to have been a factor. Both wore seat belts. Marina was reclined in her seat, in a way that may have contributed to her death, her father said.

"My heart's broken," Kevin Keegan said.

Marina was headed to Wellfleet, in part, to revise the musical "Independents" with two collaborators. She wrote the script for the musical, about a group of burned-out young adults partying on a family-owned Revolutionary War re-enactment ship. The musical will play at the New York International Fringe Festival in August, Mark Sonnenblick said by phone on Monday. Sonnenblick wrote the lyrics.

"We were planning to go to the Cape to be in the appropriate setting," Sonnenblick said.

Marina was unafraid as a writer, and very good at writing about her peers, he said. The musical, for example, touches on apathy among people in their early 20s and the need to engage with and be involved in society.

"That sense of activism and call to purpose flowed through her work," Sonnenblick said.

In mid-June, Marina was to take a full-time job as an assistant at The New Yorker, Tracy Keegan said. She'd written for The New Yorker blog, Page-Turner, last summer. She gained national fame in September with an essay she wrote for the Yale Daily News called "Even artichokes have doubts." The essay is about the career choices of college graduates. She received 15,000 hits on the Internet for the essay and was interviewed by National Public Radio. As a result of the essay's popularity, she also wrote a piece for The New York Times about college recruiting.

"Honestly, she was an astounding, amazing person," Tracy Keegan said. "She was able to bring a world view. She got involved in how to change things."

Marina Keegan suffered from celiac disease, which is a small-intestine disorder associated with intolerance for gluten. During her summers in Wellfleet, she founded a sand castle building contest to raise money for a celiac disease support group in Boston. The contest was held each August at either Newcomb Hollow Beach or White Crest Beach. Twenty or so teams competed, Kevin Keegan said. She raised about $500 each year and always managed to charm local merchants into giving prizes, including lobsters, her dad said.

Whether the sand castle was built by a family with serious intentions or two kids with a bucket, "everybody would win something," Tracy Keegan said. "She couldn't bear to have no one win a prize."

Read three Yale Daily News stories that Marina Keegan wrote:

- "Even artichokes have doubts" Sept. 2011 http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...s-have-doubts/

- "The opposite of loneliness" May 2012 http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20.../?cross-campus

- "Why we care about whales" Sept. 2009 http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...-about-whales/
    I am impervious to your mockery...

Her "You Tubes" are incredible. I do not know if I am doing this right..unfortunately you will have to copy and paste due to my lack of skill. There are many to choose from, but the one I posted I loved the best. If my link sucks...please take the time to pull her name up on You Tube and watch her. She is so animated. The world is less without her in it.

I promise to investigate how to copy links.

Last edited by nestlequikie; 05-29-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: To embed video in post.
    I am impervious to your mockery...

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Good find, she was talented. It takes enough balls just to get up in front of others, and she did it well.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Marina Keegan (22) died in a car accident just days after graduating from Yale

Marina Keegan, a journalist and playwright who won national attention for urging her fellow college students to resist the lure of Wall Street, died in a car crash Saturday afternoon in Dennis, Mass., just days after graduating from Yale. She was 22.

Ms. Keegan was riding in a car driven by her boyfriend, Michael Gocksch, a fellow Yale graduate, when it rolled over. She was pronounced dead at the scene; Mr. Gocksch was not seriously injured.

Ms. Keegan was to start working as an assistant at The New Yorker magazine in June. A musical she wrote with two other students, ?Independents,? is to be performed at the New York International Fringe Festival this summer.

At Yale, Ms. Keegan helped organize a protest challenging campus recruiting, known as Occupy Morgan Stanley. Students gathered outside the hotel where Morgan Stanley was holding an information session, chanting slogans like ?Take a stance, don?t go into finance.?

Ms. Keegan expressed a similar view in a column she wrote for DealBook on The New York Times Web site.

The column, which followed an article she wrote for The Yale Daily News, tapped into a national debate about the financial services industry.

?Maybe I?m overly optimistic, but I think most young, ambitious people want to have a positive impact on the world. Whether it?s through art or activism or advances in science, almost every student I spoke to had some kind of larger, altruistic goal in life,? she wrote.

?But what I heard again and again was that working at JPMorgan or Bain or Morgan Stanley was the best way to prepare oneself for a future doing public good,? she continued. ?Why do students believe this? Because the recruiters tell them it?s true. Personally, I think it?s ridiculous. Those skills can be gained elsewhere.?

Marina Evelyn Keegan was born Oct. 25, 1989, in Wayland, Mass., where her family lives. Survivors include her parents, Tracy and Kevin, and two brothers, Trevor and Pierce.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/bu...click&refEvita
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information