Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hannah Smith (14) suicide after online bullying

Hannah Smith (14) suicide after online bullying

A schoolgirl has been found dead after being subjected to a tirade of online bullying.

London's Daily Mail reports that internet trolls on controversial website Ask.fm told Hannah Smith, of Leicestershire, to "drink bleach" and "go get cancer".

14-year-old Hannah Smith's body was found by her parents on Friday.

After the relentless bullying, Hannah posted a handwritten message.

"You think you want to die but in reality you just want to be saved," she said.

According to the Daily Mail, her devastated parents posted the terrible news online and attacked the social media site for not doing more to tackle bullies and called for it to be banned.

Hannah's father Dave Smith wrote on Facebook: "On Friday morning my daughter was found hanged last night i seen her ask fm account and someone had been telling her to die. The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site. My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all. Wats left after hannah took here own life."

Leicestershire Police confirmed they are not treating Hannah's death as suspicious.

Ask.fm, which launched in 2010, has been heavily criticised by anti-bullying charities because it allows users to post anonymous comments or questions - often of a sexual or insulting nature - on the pages of children as young as 13.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...line-bullying/

RIP Hannah

Hannah put this photo online on Thursday, the day before she killed herself
    Last edited by luvit; 08-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.

simple solution... do not let your kids use the internet if they are sad, sensitive people.

i am sick to death of people blaming the internet for their kids killing themselves. if it wasn't the internet, it would be the mean girls at school. kids do this not because of the technology used, but because of their inability to process real life situations.

eta: sorry dad (and the person writing the article)...

"On Friday morning my daughter was found hanged(.) last (Last) night i (I) seen (saw) her ask fm account and someone had been telling her to die. The person that (who) created this web site should be done for (charged with) mansluaghter (manslaughter) (sic)(.) any (Any) parents that (who) have children(:) please dont (don't) (sic) let them go on this site. My heart is broken in 2 (two) and (it) is gonna (going to) take along time to repair(.) i (I) just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im (I'm) goin (going) through rite (right) now and (I) love u (you) all. Wats (What's) left after hannah (Hannah) took here (her) own life. (?)"

seriously, it's every other word... why bother to put (sic) in twice if you don't add it all the other times?
    Last edited by animosity; 08-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I was thinking the same thing, ani, when I read this. He was her parent! And he's taking no responsibility for his own actions, or lack thereof. A lot of parents are relying on entertainment and the Internet to raise their children. And then blame it when something like this happens.

14 is the new 20.

Cute girl. Teenagers have so many raging emotions and hormones... they can't properly process appropriate responses. It's what makes them annoying teenagers.

Her parents should have been a bit more involved. There had to have been signs of a problem if she was upset enough to end her life. Poor thing.
    Last edited by Shins; 08-05-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Aww not another one :(
    r.i.p Hannah.

Very sad. But I do agree, you can't really blame a website for this. You can't expect it to be shut down because a user ended her life. If she was depressed, and a few comments pushed her over the edge, it could have happend anytime. It could have been an argument with her dad.

I feel for him tho, he just wants answers, and it's probably easier for him to place the blame on others rather than his daughters problems.

I don't agree there are always signs tho. Sometimes ir's the ones you would never expect that suicides. I'm not blamig the parent/s at all here, but parents should always keep an eye on what their kids are doing online!

R.I.P. Hannah

If they knew their daughter was being bullied on that site they should have taken her away from it by blocking it. Life is hard enough for a teenager, we cannot control much but as parents we can control the internet usage and eliminate some of the issues. My heart breaks every time I read about another young life gone too soon. RIP Hannah.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

I had to look up what ask.fm was. I have never heard of it until this story. Do any of you guys use it or have heard of it?

http://ask.fm/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

I've never heard of ask.fm. But have heard of ask.com which seems to be kinda similar?

Quote Originally Posted by M Joy View Post
    I've never heard of ask.fm. But have heard of ask.com which seems to be kinda similar?
    it seems like formspring. that shit was just a disaster waiting to happen.
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

RIP Hannah.

How insane that her dad wants Ask.fm to be charged with manslaughter. How about you parent your child and monitor her Internet use? I'm not trying to blame the father but its not the website owner's fault that the site was being abused to harass her.

I only heard of Ask.fm today when looking up another Hannah (Anderson) who was abducted from SCA. She has one. It does seem just like formspring. I'm under the impression, by reading some today, that most girls submit their own questions/comments because most of the questions/comments went on and on about how hot/amazing the person was.

One ask.fm question I read today said, "Why do you hang out with your friends? You are so beautiful and popular and they are so lame. You could have much better friends because you are so cool." The girl replied, saying her friends were loyal. Anyway, as I read it, I decided that she wrote the question so her friends would read it. Just seems like a teenage mean girl thing to do.

Nah. That's like a member on this site commiting suicide because they don't like how they're talked to. Nope. It's the fucking internet. Get control of yourself (or your kids).
    Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Yet another reason why I won't let my kids fuck with the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

i mean, you get to ask anonymous questions? something like this was bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    i mean, you get to ask anonymous questions? something like this was bound to happen.
    And no good can come of that with a 14 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

what's spring form?

one thing i've always noticed about these bully suicide internet things, is that there always seems to be people offering positive feedback too. i mean - why focus on the bad shit where there is good shit you can focus on. it's not like every comment from a billion users says to fuck off and die. it's usually only one or two trolls making hateful comments... except in the case of 'the we hate so-n-so' facebook pages. but you can always block and report those.

ps: i hate bowie page... i wanna read it. kinda jealous that you have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

formspring was exactly like ask.fm. ask question anonymously. you got to choose which question you would post on your profile, i think. its been so long since i seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    formspring was exactly like ask.fm. ask question anonymously. you got to choose which question you would post on your profile, i think. its been so long since i seen it.
    Actually, I think that Ask.fm is Formspring, except it stopped being popular so they redid it under a new name and slightly different design.

Quote Originally Posted by damn_brat View Post
    Actually, I think that Ask.fm is Formspring, except it stopped being popular so they redid it under a new name and slightly different design.
    ohhhhh, okay. i didn't know what it was until this article

I've heard of ask.fm. My teenage half sisters have used it. And it seems like a lot of teen girls use it. Stupid site if you ask me.

I feel like saying this girl was "bullied" isn't very accurate.

I don't put trolls and bullies in the same category. Usually bullies are more calculated and personal, while a troll is just random.

It's so easy to troll on that site.

It's easy to troll anywhere.

Type word vomit.

Done.

True. Internet is a dark, scary place.

Thread Information