Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Time Breastfeeding Pic on Time Magazine Stirs Debate

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    wut? Did she not understand the first time you said you weren't pregnant?

Some girl asked me when I was out on a first date once. I was too embarrassed to go out with the guy again. Now, I'd be like, "It's due in June, and it's a little burrito," but I was so dev.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    I tend to carry my weight in my stomach and stay pretty thin all over. I have been asked multiple times if I'm pregnant I had one mom at a daycare ask me repeatedly. She would even gasp and rub my belly. The last time, I slapped her hand away and yelled at her. After 5 times in one month, you would think the bitch would know better!
    That's me too, weight in the stomach. It's not permanent though, it's always bloating for me. I've been having stomach issues lately (probably from too much coffee) and my bloating has me looking 4 months pregnant. No one has asked me when I'm due.... yet.

5 times? Wow, she sounds like a bitch. I know once you have kids, it can be hard getting your stomach back. If you know a person has kids, just assume it's that and keep your mouth shut.

I tend to carry my weight in my stomach and stay pretty thin all over. I have been asked multiple times if I'm pregnant I had one mom at a daycare ask me repeatedly. She would even gasp and rub my belly. The last time, I slapped her hand away and yelled at her. After 5 times in one month, you would think the bitch would know better!
    what the hell is wrong with women?!? I swear, if I see someone and she was fucking crowing for god's sake, I STILL wouldn't ask if she was pregnant. ALWAYS let the preggers initiate it. Period.

Man, I was pretty sure my dermotologist was preggers but didn't want to be rude so I waited for her to mention it. I would never say that because I know how awkward it is.

This bothers me. My cousin that lost her baby when he was 8 weeks, she still had a little baby pooch on her belly but was otherwise very thin and little. After the baby passed, she still got people asking her if she was pregnant. That bothered her and it made me sad to think that it was just something else that would bring her emotionally down.

I think unless you proclaim to the world about your pregnancy, people assuming and making comments is and can be abrasive and very hurtful if the woman is not pregnant.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    There wasn't much going on behind the eyes if ya know what I mean. But I totally have a pooch so I get why people wonder I also have stomach issues so I get super bloated. It's awful and painful and I look 5 months pregnant.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

There wasn't much going on behind the eyes if ya know what I mean. But I totally have a pooch so I get why people wonder I also have stomach issues so I get super bloated. It's awful and painful and I look 5 months pregnant.
    I have the same problems. Midsection weight gain, bloating, and my hands a feet swell, too. I look like a pear on toothpicks!

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    This bothers me. My cousin that lost her baby when he was 8 weeks, she still had a little baby pooch on her belly but was otherwise very thin and little. After the baby passed, she still got people asking her if she was pregnant. That bothered her and it made me sad to think that it was just something else that would bring her emotionally down.

I think unless you proclaim to the world about your pregnancy, people assuming and making comments is and can be abrasive and very hurtful if the woman is not pregnant.
    My boyfriend's sister lost her baby at 6 months recently. :( That's traumatizing, I couldn't imagine people asking those questions when going through the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
    My boyfriend's sister lost her baby at 6 months recently. :( That's traumatizing, I couldn't imagine people asking those questions when going through the pain.
    I can't imagine not decapitating people with my bare hands in that situation.

I have seen the future and I'm fairly relieved to say, it looks nothing like me.

Quote Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
    I didnt know if I clarified it right but she delivered the baby and they knew he would have problems but they had no idea just how bad. They asked her at 6 months pregnant if she wanted to term the prgnancy but she couldnt and she felt it was way to far in to do that. i dont blame her, im not sure what i would do.
    he was born and he looked beautiful, all pink and healthy but sadly he wasnt.
    % holes in his heart, his heart was kind of turned sideways, almost backwards in his body and his kidneys didnt work. my cousin went each day agonizing over what to do and finally at 8 weeks he started declining even with the hel of machines. She had to let him go. It was very hard for her im sure.

She questions herself all the time if she made the right decision to let the pregnancy go to term because she said he was in pain and a lot of it. I think he lived to 8 weeks because he was a fighter but the poor thing was so swollen and you just knew he wasnt going to have a normal or anything close to a normal life.
    She held him for over 2 hours when they turned the machines off. That was the first time she ever got to hold her baby without tubes and wires and machines. I think it was a bittersweet moment. The hospital nurses did a little plaster cast of his hand and it was so sweet. He was still alive when they did it but after he passed is when my cousin got to see the cast and the baby was making a peace sign in the cast. I thought that was llike his little sign that he was sayin 'peace out' to everyone.

How sad :tear: One of my friends I met in Texas lost a daughter at 4 days. She knew the baby had a condition and wouldn't make it long, but she carried her to full term. I would have done the same thing, not finding out until late in the pregnancy about the condition. That takes a lot of strength.

My boyfriend's sister knew she had a placenta issue, but they figured she would just deliver with a c-section since it made a vaginal birth impossible (placenta attached to wall, making it so the baby wouldn't come down the birth canal). The baby passed away unexpectedly and she had a c-section to deliver. She had the nursery almost completely done. She knew she was having a girl, a sister for her 1 year old son. So, so sad.

Modest? Titty flashing (other than in New Orleans) issues?
    Wait until you have a baby.

Roll your eyes at people with screaming newborns in Target and Wal-Mart?

Judge anyone about their child-rearing methods?

Think pacifiers, formula and cereal before 4 months are wrong?

Think co-sleeping is creepy and cloth diapers are the worst?

As both a mother and a grandmother, I have learned that the way to find the right way for you to parent your child is to wait until you have a baby and figure it out for yourself.

PS: I am not advocating leaving the baby's father out of the equation entirely either. "You" in some cases could and/or should mean BOTH of you.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I can advocate that I hate cloth diapers because I used to work in daycare and had to change them
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

My mom thought co-sleeping and cloth diapers were creepy.

Co-sleeping was something we didnt really want but because of the situation caring for grandma, we shared a room with Dallas and so he always slept between us. It was hard to deal with at times.

Cloth diapers are weird to me, only because I think it would have been a lot more work for me when I was already juggling kids. I think my mom had me in them when I was younger but i personally don't find the idea appealing for me as a parent.

I plan to be able to afford to be as careless and indifferent to the environment as possible when I have a baby and thus use disposables. THIS ISN'T THE 1800S

my mom said that cloth diapers made me but breakout, so she didn't use them. i assume i was probably allergic to her detergent, which they realized years later. i've never heard anyone else say that about cloth diapers. i like to think that there is a time and place for both. i can only imagine the amount of garbage you create for yourself with disposable.

Cloth is super easy, and cheap. It's also virtually chemical free. Win/win. I've done both, disposables with Millie and cloth with Avi, cloth has been WAY more cost efficient. However, if you don't stay at home, I really don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha_XO View Post
    Cloth is super easy, and cheap. It's also virtually chemical free. Win/win. I've done both, disposables with Millie and cloth with Avi, cloth has been WAY more cost efficient. However, if you don't stay at home, I really don't recommend it.
    I don't know if this is 100% right but from what I've seen you post, you parent Avi quite differently to how you started off with Millie? I was just wondering what made you change what you do/how you do things?

I think even when I stayed at home (I only got to stay at home with Dallas) I still wouldnt have done cloth diapers only because im thinking about having to actually clean poo out of them. Im a little naive, ill admit about the cloth diapers because I imagine it to be such a process where I could just instead use disposables and those wonderful wipes.

The worst thing than having to use diapers is hving them in the garbage. I was so thankful that at our first townhouse, there was a dumpster real close so having diapers in the garbage was rare.

I imagine the mommas who use them have simple ways of doing it tho and have it down to a science.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I don't know if this is 100% right but from what I've seen you post, you parent Avi quite differently to how you started off with Millie? I was just wondering what made you change what you do/how you do things?
    Honestly? Having more confidence in myself as a mother. I listened to everything people told me when I had Millie, and it's why I failed at breastfeeding her. It still makes me nauseous when I think about my lack of support and I still remember the day that I officially gave up. I wish I had kept going and persevered. I wish I would have never taken one piece of bad advice. With Avi, there were multiple times where I could have given up but I was determined and I knew that if I kept going, it would be fine. My nipples were raw, blistered, and bleeding for about the first 3 weeks, and I just kept on. If I hadn't had Millie first and experienced the pain of giving up, I probably would have given up then as well. But luckily, I knew all of the boobie traps and ignored the ped when he told me to feed him every 3 hours and not on demand. I ignored my mil when she told me to give him bottles at night. As far as cloth, I already had my routine down as a mother, as far as cleaning and laundry went, I knew another load or two of diapers wouldn't kill me. These choices were daunting when I first had Millie.
    As far as cosleeping, I parent as to what each child needed. Millie slept with us for the first month or two, but then happily slept in her mini crib next to us. She slept through the night straight away so she never needed to be parented all night. Avi has always needed a little more, he's very high needs, so I give him what he needs to get through. Cosleeping was an easy adjustment, no regrets.

As far as everything else, it's the same, same positive discipline, same healthy eating, no spanking, etc...

I really don't understand how seeing a boob offends you, as a woman. Especially when it's being used to feed a child, ya know, the actual natural purpose for boobs. Even nip slips don't register as something for me to bat an eye at. Hell, my boob fell out of my bathing suit here in Dubai, but there were a bunch of Europeans around and no one even seemed to notice lol...I laughed and tucked it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by nerysinci View Post
    I really don't understand how seeing a boob offends you, as a woman. Especially when it's being used to feed a child, ya know, the actual natural purpose for boobs. Even nip slips don't register as something for me to bat an eye at. Hell, my boob fell out of my bathing suit here in Dubai, but there were a bunch of Europeans around and no one even seemed to notice lol...I laughed and tucked it back in.
    My boob fell out of my shirt yesterday and all that happened was the guys at Smart and Final were a lot nicer to me.

I was breastfed until I was three and I slept with my parents until I was four. I actually remember being breastfed. I'm not sure if it screwed me up or made any great difference to my life and our relationship. She wasn't into attachment parenting, she was just a hippie and I guess that kind of relationship felt natural to her. I'm happy she stopped before I started preschool.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha_XO View Post
    Yes. The parents who used them in the daycare only did them for a few months with us. It just seemed really inconvenient to bring enough for the day or week, make sure to take them home everyday, bring the container, etc. We had one parent who would get so mad at us because sometimes we had to put the baby in disposables because they didn't bring enough. We were always battling with this guy. He wanted us to do things that we just couldn't do because of licensing.
    Last edited by TheFavoriteDaughter; 05-20-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Thread Information