Thread: "Where the Wild Things Are" author Maurice Sendak (83) died of complications from a stroke

"Where the Wild Things Are" author Maurice Sendak (83) died of complications from a stroke

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012..._from_a_stroke

Maurice Sendak, the children's author and illustrator best known for the 1963 classic "Where the Wild Things Are," died Tuesday in Danbury, Conn., reportedly of complications from a stroke. He was 83.

The Brooklyn-born author, the son of Jewish immigrants from Poland, lost many family members in the Holocaust and spent time in bed with health problems as a child. After seeing the Disney movie "Fantasia" at the age of 12, an experience that influenced his work throughout his career, he decided to become an illustrator.

His colorful career

During the 1950s, Sendak illustrated children's books by other authors before starting to write his own stories. When "Where the Wild Things Are" came out in 1963, its monstrous characters raised concerns from some parents, but the book quickly brought him international acclaim, including the prestigious Caldecott Medal. The book was adapted into a feature film in 2009.

Sendak wrote and illustrated many other books, including the controversial 1970 work "In the Night Kitchen," about a boy who dreams of helping a baker create a cake in a bizarre kitchen. The book's hero, Mickey, is naked in illustrations throughout the book, and it has frequently been challenged and banned. Other Sendak works include "Outside, Over There" (1981), the story of a girl who is left to care for her younger sister and reluctantly goes to her rescue when the child is abducted by goblins.

Sendak's work extended beyond printed media. He was an advisor to the Children's Television Workshop during the initial development of "Sesame Street" and worked on several animated stories for the show, including an adaptation of his book "Bumble Addy." In 1975 he produced an animated TV special, "Really Rosie," which featured the voice of Carole King. Inspired by a little girl Sendak observed singing and dancing outside during his childhood in Brooklyn, "Really Rosie" has become a staple of children's theater troupes.

Sendak created a stage version of "Where the Wild Things Are" in 1979 and designed opera and ballet sets for such groups as Houston Grand Opera and the New York City Opera. He also collaborated with "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner on an English version of the Czech children's opera "Brundibar"; his illustrated book version, featuring text by Kushner, was named one of the 10 best illustrated books of 2003 by the New York Times Book Review.

Accolades and more

In addition to his Caldecott Medal for "Where the Wild Things Are," Sendak's many accolades include a 1970 Hans Christian Andersen Award for children's illustration, a 1982 National Book Award for "Outside Over There," a 1983 Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal, and a 2003 Astrid Lingren Memorial Award.

Sendak lived with psychoanalyst Eugene Glynn for 50 years before Glynn's death in 2007.

In one of his last public appearances, the outspoken author was a guest of Stephen Colbert on "The Colbert Report" in January. The two traded wisecracks and Sendak gave capsule reviews to children's classics by other authors, including "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss, which he liked, and the 1985 book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," which he had little use for.
    Story: 9 most subversive children's books ever written

During the Colbert interview Sendak remarked, "I didn't set out to make children happy!" And yet he did, for many years.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/473359.../#.T6kqo9X1mIA

Last edited by Olivia; 05-08-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added article
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Awww. RIP Maurice.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

:(

Maurice's Facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mauric...ak/50795125546

Lots of great photos.

Randomly, the book I knew him best for was this super creepy novel in which a little girl with a sickly mother is looking after her own baby sister, and the baby sister is abducted by trolls, who leave a weird mud baby in her place. It creeped the shit out of me as a child.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outside_Over_There

Some creeper got it tattooed on them.

Randomly, the book I knew him best for was this super creepy novel in which a little girl with a sickly mother is looking after her own baby sister, and the baby sister is abducted by trolls, who leave a weird mud baby in her place. It creeped the shit out of me as a child.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outside_Over_There

Some creeper got it tattooed on them.
    I haven't read this, but it sounds slightly like a darker version of the Labyrinth.
    Last edited by g r ee n ey e s; 05-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Now that I reread it, I suspect that it was my mom's passive aggressive way of telling me to buck up and accept my brother.

Maurice Sendak's books are amazing. What a great talent.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I thought maybe he came back to life.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    The more you folks talk about literature, the more I feel like I read nothing as a child.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Oh Ron...

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I read this book to my kids before bed sometimes. They love it. May he RIP.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I haven't read this, but it sounds slightly like a darker version of the Labyrinth.
    I was thinking the SAME THING!

A little late to the party, but this one is particularly sad. His stories bore some of my childhood's fondest yet creepiest memories.

RIP Maurice

Thread Information