Thread: Claire Squires (30) collapsed and died while running in the London Marathon

Claire Squires (30) collapsed and died while running in the London Marathon

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...ondon_Marathon

Tributes and donations have poured in for a woman who died near the London Marathon finishing line yesterday.

Claire Squires, who was running for the Samaritans, collapsed on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course, she was given medical attention but died at the scene.

People have visited Ms Squires' JustGiving page to leave tributes to the 30-year-old.

Claire - May you see the goodwork you have achieved from your place of peaceful rest.

? Sean O'Reilly

You were an inspiration, God bless you x x.

? Helen Jackson

Claire, I didn't know you but like so many others I am heartbroken by your story. Life is so unfair! My thoughts are with you and your family!

? Beth Fletcher

She has raised close to ?22,000 from donations on her JustGiving page where she left this message:

As you know i (sic) am running the london marathon it was just going to be for fun. but its a fab opportunity to raise money for my charity the samaritans if everyone i know could donate ?5.00 that would be a great help and change lives.

Tests will be carried out to establish how Ms Squires died in the coming days.

The organisers of the London Marathon released a statement sending their "condolences" to Ms Squires friends and family.

The organisers of the Virgin London Marathon would like to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

We would like to emphasise that our immediate concern is for the family of the deceased. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them at this difficult time.

http://www.itv.com/news/2012-04-23/t...ndon-marathon/
    Last edited by Olivia; 04-26-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Hairdresser Claire Squires (30) collapses and dies on final bend of London Marathon

cry

(middle)

Thousands of people touched by the death of a 30-year-old woman running the London Marathon today impulsively donated more than 40,000 to the charity she had been raising funds for.

Claire Squires collapsed at Birdcage Walk, near St James's Park, on the final stretch of yesterday's 26.2mile course.

The committed fundraiser was given medical attention at the scene but died a short time later, a statement on the marathon's official website said.

Miss Squires, a hairdresser from North Kilworth in Leicestershire, had initially raised more than 500 on JustGiving.com.

But today, in an astonishing display of public generosity, that figure has rocketed to over 40,000 thanks to strangers touched by news reports of her death.

Her fundraising page on the site encouraged her friends to sponsor her.

She wrote: 'Hi guys, as you all know I am running the London Marathon. It was just going to be for fun, but it's a fab opportunity to raise money for my charity the Samaritans.

'If everyone I know could donate ?5 that would be a great help and change lives.

A statement on the London Marathon website read: 'We would like to emphasise that our immediate concern is for the family of the deceased.

'Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with them at this difficult time"

Today, a flurry of tributes flooded JustGiving.com in the wake of the 30-year-old's sudden death.

Yesterday's race was believed to have been Miss Squires' second attempt at the London Marathon.

She has previously climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania to raise money for the RAF Association.

Miss Squires died with the finishing line only one bend away.

Birdcage Walk borders St James's Park and is the last road that runners have to travel before reaching Buckingham Palace where they turn onto The Mall on which the finish line is located.

Competitors do not reach Birdcage Walk until after completing 25miles of the marathon.

Catherine Johnstone, Chief Executive of Samaritans, said today: 'We are devastated following the tragic death of one of our marathon runners and are supporting the family through this very difficult time. Our thoughts are with everyone who knew her.

'We appreciate all that our marathon runners do. It is with their support, commitment and fundraising efforts that that we are able to offer our vital service for people with no where else to turn.'

A London Ambulance Service spokesman said: 'Our staff attended a 30-year-old woman today on Birdcage Walk as part of the event and took the patient to hospital as a priority.'

Yesterday's death was the tenth since the London Marathon began in 1981.

Five of the previous fatalities were a result of heart disease in runners apparently unaware that they had a problem.

Four of these were cases of severe coronary heart diseases.

The last competitor to die was a 22-year-old fitness instructor in 2007.
    Last edited by HockeyGirl; 04-24-2012 at 08:17 AM.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ondon-Marathon

Can a mod merge these, or delete mine...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

im sorry Puzzld, I didnt see your article this morning

You couldn't be expected to... No new posts button, no search. Life is hard.

Her Just Giving site http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2

She's got over 400k now

RIP Claire

ETA: apparently the forum no longer recognises the pound sign. Discrimination

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post
    Her Just Giving site http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2

She's got over 400k now

RIP Claire

ETA: apparently the forum no longer recognises the pound sign. Discrimination
    Heheh, total discrimination!!

It's nice that she's received so many donations in her honor as well. RIP Claire

I read she was doing it in honor of her brother who passed away

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    I read she was doing it in honor of her brother who passed away
    I read somewhere this morning that her brother died from an overdose and she chose to raise money for The Samaritans in his honour.

Apparently her Just Giving page was getting so many hits this morning that the website crashed. Just Giving have also announced that they are going to waive the fee they charge for credit card donations.
    Last edited by leapfreak; 04-24-2012 at 08:22 AM.

She was so young!!

And healthy..

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    She was so young!!

And healthy..
    Maybe not.

Yeah I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

And so pretty :(

RIP Claire

I feel incredibly sad for her parents and family, too.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I ran a half-marathon a few years ago and felt like I was going to collapse during the last half mile. That was after a year of training and I still felt like my lungs were on fire. I don't know how they do it and what kind of toll it takes on the body. My body did a weird sodium dump and I had salt crystals all over my face after I finished.

Very sad that she passed but a sweet thing that so many are giving in her honor. Just sucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

Interesting about her brother -
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...d-brother.html

At the time of her death, Claire Squires, 30, had raised ?500 for Samaritans but an outpouring of public support has since seen more than 40,000 people donate almost ?600,000 to the charity.
    The hairdresser’s parents are now having to come to terms with the shock of losing a second child following the death of their son, Grant, aged 25.
    Miss Squires had witnessed the impact of her brother’s death on her family when he took an overdose just a week after seeing his girlfriend, Heidi Richardson, killed in a car crash.
    Miss Squires’s mother, Cilla, has described how she was forced to watch her son inject heroin. An inquest heard that Mr Squires took a mixture of heroin and anti-depressant drugs while staying at a friend’s house. After he collapsed, three friends tried to revive him by forcing him to drink salted water.
    When their attempts failed, they lifted him into a car and drove him to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. A pathologist said the water had collected in Mr Squires’ lungs which could have caused him to “drown”.

I did a half marathon last year and felt like I was gona collapse too. The photos of me after it are horrendous, I'm actually grey in the face, think I got a bit dehydrated!

Thread Information