Thread: Beastie Boys Co-Founder Adam Yauch (47) passed away after battling cancer

Beastie Boys Co-Founder Adam Yauch (47) passed away after battling cancer

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...attling_cancer

Adam Yauch, a member of the seminal hip-hop trio the Beastie Boys, has died. He was 47 years old.

The Brooklyn-born musician known to fans as MCA was first treated for a cancerous growths in his parotid gland and a lymph node in 2009 and subsequently underwent surgery and radiation therapy, which forced the delay of the Beastie Boys' most recent album Hot Sauce Committee Part Two. His illness has also kept the group off the road, and Yauch missed the group's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago.

Yauch first met his musical comrade-in-arms Michael Diamond (a.k.a Mike D) when he was still in high school; inspired by the manic punk energy of bands like Black Flag, the pair conceived the Beastie Boys as a noisy hardcore band. The group originally featured friends John Berry and Kate Schellenbach (the latter of whom later formed Luscious Jackson). The Polly Wog Stew EP gained them some attention, as did gigs opening for the likes of Bad Brains and the Misfits.

Berry departed the band and was replaced by Adam Horovitz (Ad-Rock). Around the same time, the crew put together a song called "Cookie Puss," which was based around a recorded prank phone call to Carvel. The song became an accidental sensation in New York's underground dance scene, and the Beastie Boys began to build a reputation for blending humor and hip-hop in their sound.

The Boys signed to a then-nascent Def Jam Records after meeting co-founder Rick Rubin, and when Schellenbach departed due to creative differences, the Beastie Boys the world came to know were born. In 1986, they released the crossover smash Licensed to Ill, which became the first hip-hop album to top the Billboard album chart, and featured the breakthrough MTV hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)."

The Beastie Boys soon developed a reputation for being not unlike their personae in the "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" video, but they gradually shed their bad-boy image and became sonic students of the game. From 1989′s Paul's Boutique on, the Beastie Boys stood as one of the most innovative crews in all of popular music. Thanks to producers the Dust Brothers, Paul took sampling to a whole new level, while 1992′s Check Your Head found them searching for the perfect balance between their hardcore roots and their next-level vision. That ideal was found on 1994′s Ill Communication, featuring the band's breakthrough "Sabotage."

The three Beastie Boys all had divergent interests as the group evolved, and Yauch's passion turned to film early in his career (later, he also became heavily involved in Buddhism and Tibetan causes). Working under the pseudonym Nathanial Hornblower, Yauch directed many of the band's music videos, including "So What'cha Want," "Intergalactic," and the more recent "Make Some Noise." He also founded Oscilloscope Laboratories, a studio and distribution arm that was first developed to put out his high school basketball documentary Gunnin' For That #1 Spot and also has put out films like Kelly Reichardt's acclaimed drama Wendy and Lucy and the beloved Banksy stunt flick Exit Through the Gift Shop.

When Ad-Rock and Mike D accepted the Beastie Boys' induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago, they read a letter from Yauch thanking both his bandmates and the group's fans: "I'd like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike," he wrote. "They walked the globe with me. It?s also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours."

Yauch is survived by his wife, Dechen Wengdu, and their daughter Losel.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/05/04/a...tie-boys-dead/
    Last edited by Olivia; 05-04-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added article

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! say it ain't so.

Ack!!!!!! No freaking way *cry*

yeah that sucks, I had nooo idea he had cancer.

Ugh...

I wish I had some brass monkey to pour out for him right now.
    I was born to hustle roses down the avenues of the dead.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54545&dateline=129369  0205

I HAS AN UPSET.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

it's a sad day for music. I love the Beasties. I actually rapped a speech at my friends wedding to Paul Revere and made it all about the bride and groom. Rip MCA.

Well I am just straight up crushed.

Fuck this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

omg omg omg omg omg omg breaks my heart. Fuck cancer, man. I seriously did not know he was sick.

Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Leave it to my bf to keep it classy.

Dammit.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    What the fuck is this!?!? Holy shit, is everyone in it!?!
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    What the fuck is this!?!? Holy shit, is everyone in it!?!
    LOL - It was the promo for Hotsauce Committee. It just goes to show how loved and respected they were as artists and ground breakers.

Thread Information