Thread: Elizabeth Nass (19) and Rose Mayr (19) tweeted feet pics from a railroad bridge then were killed by a CSX freight train derailment.

Elizabeth Nass (19) and Rose Mayr (19) tweeted feet pics from a railroad bridge then were killed by a CSX freight train derailment.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012...ain_derailment

CSX Train Derails In Historic Ellicott City, Killing 2 Young Women

Police have identified the two victims killed in the CSX train derailment in downtown Ellicott City overnight.

Elizabeth Conway Nass, 19, and Rose Louese Mayr, also 19, were killed when an eastbound freight train hauling coal came off the tracks of a rail bridge near Main Street in the historic downtown area around midnight. Both women were from Ellicott City.

The two women apparently were posting to Twitter just before they died.

"Drinking on top of the Ellicott City sign..." Nass tweeted at 8:40 p.m. Monday, about three hours before the crash.

A preliminary investigation indicates that the women, believed to be on a walkway alongside the tracks, were crushed by falling coal.

Howard County police said that 21 of the train's 80 cars derailed or overturned about 12 miles outside of Baltimore, falling off the tracks that run along the Patapsco River to the east.

The train was en route from Grafton,W.V., to Baltimore.

"It was like midnight, I heard the train coming," recalled Lauren Ward, 23, who lives in a third-floor walk-up apartment in a building about 75 yards from the bridge. "It was really loud screeching. My dresser was shaking in my bedroom. I remember thinking, "It derailed"

In the wreckage, rescue workers found two bodies, later identified as Nass and Mayr.

The Associated Press reports that Nass was a student at James Madison University in Virginia. She made the dean's list in the fall of 2011 and was a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's JMU chapter.

Mayr was a student at the University of Delaware, according to AP. She recorded a song by an Ellicott City musician titled "Not Yet."

Two train operators were on board the train, but neither was injured. The cause of the derailment remains under investigation. In addition to CSX investigators and Howard County police, National Transportation Safety Board personnel also are on the scene.

According to Jim Southworth, NTSB's lead investigator, there was a head-in camera on the train. The footage hasn't been reviewed and Southworth could not say if the train struck the women.

A preliminary investigation indicates that the women were buried under coal that fell onto the walkway.

It is unknown if the train operators saw the women on the bridge, but Southworth said there is no indication that they applied the brakes.

The 3,000-foot long train was carrying 9,000 tons of coal and traveling at 25 miles per hour, officials said.

Authorities said the fallen cars and coal crushed several vehicles parked in a county-owned lot beneath the tracks. Cranes are being brought in to remove the train cars from the vehicles and investigators are searching for additional victims. The rail bridge is reportedly about 20 feet off the ground.

Crews are working to clean up the spilled coal. Police said no hazardous materials were spilled. WJLA reports that representatives from the Maryland Department of the Environment are working to find out how much coal landed in the river and what the environmental impact might be.

Main Street and Frederick Road are closed from Ellicott City into Baltimore County.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g.html?hpid=z1

RIP silly girls...
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 08-22-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Last edited by nestlequikie; 09-20-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: re-added picture
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Jesus, talk about wrong place, wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

'You, me, a handle of Burnett's': Last tweet of two tragic college students, 19, killed in freak crash by train that derailed and buried them under TONS of coal
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz24GLT5nwA

RIP girls.

How awful to be buried by coal. Railroad tracks just are not the place to hang around no matter what time of day.

RIP Elizabeth & Rose

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I am terrified of trains. There is no way I'd be drinking near one...yikes. Especially not Burnetts...NASTY. RIP girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

A few months ago I was in the car with my hubby and we had to stop for a train... cars in the other 2 lanes pulled right up to the white line but my hubs stopped about 3 car lengths before it. I was all like 'why the heck are you stopping so far back' and he was all like 'because I've seen a train derail before and if this one does it's going to wipe out those cars and everyone in them' as he points to the cars at the white line.... I can't believe that thought had never occurred to me before. Trains are no joke and I now realize how super lucky my friends and I are since we used to hang out and drink near the tracks all the time when we were younger! Yikes! RIP girls :(

What are the chances of that happening eh?

This happened near me. The investigation is leading to the belief that the girls were partially responsible for this accident. apparently the engineer hitting the brakes when he saw the girls on the tracks caused the rearmost cars to lurch forward and derail the cars in front of them... WF were 19yo kids doing drinking on the tracks? Natural selection at work...

Quote Originally Posted by CanaryDiam View Post
    A few months ago I was in the car with my hubby and we had to stop for a train... cars in the other 2 lanes pulled right up to the white line but my hubs stopped about 3 car lengths before it. I was all like 'why the heck are you stopping so far back' and he was all like 'because I've seen a train derail before and if this one does it's going to wipe out those cars and everyone in them' as he points to the cars at the white line.... I can't believe that thought had never occurred to me before. Trains are no joke and I now realize how super lucky my friends and I are since we used to hang out and drink near the tracks all the time when we were younger! Yikes! RIP girls :(

Another example of how I have learned to save my life and protect my family through MDS. My wife was talking about this case this morning.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by InediblePanties View Post
    This happened near me. The investigation is leading to the belief that the girls were partially responsible for this accident. apparently the engineer hitting the brakes when he saw the girls on the tracks caused the rearmost cars to lurch forward and derail the cars in front of them... WF were 19yo kids doing drinking on the tracks? Natural selection at work...
    Not feeling so bad for them anymore.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Yeah I read that in a couple stories too, that the reason the trained derailed was because of them. Still sad nonetheless, but it would have been a terribly sad coincidence if they were just wrong place/wrong time. Unfortunately though it looks like they caused it. :( RIP Girls.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanaryDiam View Post
    I stop way far back too. But that's only because I have seen Final Destination too many times and I worry about shrapnel flying off the tracks and chopping off my head.
    She transitioned from a stupid asshole to a dumb bitch.

Seeing someone on the tracks is a heart-stopping moment for an engineer and/or conductor. Engineers won't usually pull the emergency brake card until they are absolutely certain they can't miss hitting someone (or they hear the thud that indicates they did). They will be wailing on the horn in hopes that folks will get the hell out of the way.

Autopsy finds 2 women killed in Md. train derailment couldn’t breathe under coal
    By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2:15 PM

ELLICOTT CITY, Md. — Two young women were killed when a freight train derailed and toppled so much coal on them they couldn’t breathe, authorities said Thursday.

The bodies of Elizabeth Nass and Rose Mayr were found buried under coal but still seated on edge of a railroad bridge in Ellicott City, police have said. They were not hit by the train, Howard County police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn said.

Llewellyn said an autopsy found the women died from accidental asphyxia.

Both were 19-year-old college students. Nass attended James Madison University in Virginia and Mayr was a nursing student at the University of Delaware.

Tweets and photos from the women indicated they were drinking on the bridge as they enjoyed a summer night together before heading back to school. “Drinking on top of the Ellicott City sign,” read one tweet. “Looking down on old ec,” read another.

Their funerals are set for Friday and Saturday.

CSX said Thursday it resumed train operations along the railroad line at 4 p.m.

Howard County spokeswoman Alexandra Bresani said the street underneath the railroad bridge would remain closed until the on-site investigation and removal of the coal was finished.

“We’re making good progress but it’s quite a bit,” CSX spokesman Gary Sease said, noting most of the 21 derailed cars dumped their entire 110-ton load in the accident.

The bridge the women were on is easily accessible from the picturesque downtown of Ellicott City, which is about 15 miles west of Baltimore, and generations of young people have played and partied along the tracks.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the wreck. Federal investigators have said the train was going the authorized speed of 25 miles per hour with an engineer-in-training at the controls before the wreck.

Investigators have also said the train’s emergency brakes were applied automatically — not by the three-man crew — but they don’t know why 21 cars of the 80 cars derailed.

National Transportation Safety Board investigator Jim Southworth has said the train’s two locomotives did not derail and that the crew reported they “felt nothing, and they saw nothing before emergency braking occurred on their train.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...425_story.html

When I read this in the local paper, it immediately reminded me of a local story I ran across while reading the obituaries and seeing their memorial ad.

http://archives.timesleader.com/1995...NDAY_BY_S.html

I am so terrified of trains, I can't even cross the small bridge here in town. I tried once and was literally frozen in fear. I had to physically pick my legs up to step back off the very first tie of it. I can only imagine what a fool I looked like.

RIP girls.

Elizabeth's FB looks to be removed already.
    Last edited by apricotbaby; 08-24-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added tidbit re: FB

"We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people." - Sean Kennedy

Thread Information