Thread: Joanna Romos (11) died after she suffered blunt force trauma in a fight

Joanna Romos (11) died after she suffered blunt force trauma in a fight

An 11-year-old girl who died in a fight in Long Beach on Friday suffered blunt force trauma to her head, and her death was ruled a homicide, coroner’s officials said Monday.

Long Beach police officers responded just before 6 p.m. Friday to a hospital after being notified that Joanna Ramos, who was unconscious and not breathing, had been brought into the emergency room by her family. She was taken in for surgery, placed into intensive care in critical condition, and died just before 9 p.m.

She had no visual signs of trauma to her body, police said.

Joanna and a fellow student from Willard Elementary School had been in a fight after school in an alley. With seven others looking on, the girls took off their backpacks, put their hair in a bun, said “Go” and started hitting each other.

The fight lasted about one minute. It did not involve weapons and no one was knocked to the ground, police said.

Once the fight was over, both girls left the area and went their separate ways.

More from NBCLosAngeles.com

Later, Joanna had a bloody nose and wasn't feeling well so she was taken to the hospital, her family said.

Several classmates of both girls told NBC4 that the girls were fighting over a boy. Joanna's friends said the two simply could not get along.

Detectives have interviewed the other classmate and onlookers. They were also trying to identify other witnesses and anyone who knows what led to the fight.

No arrests have been made.

While the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office will determine the cause of death, police will continue to do interviews.
    Officers will present their findings to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, which will review the case and determine if any charges will be filed.

Police said no one has alleged or suggested that Joanna was being bullied.

None of the students interviewed told detectives that school officials were made aware of the impending fight.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ruled-homicide
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

This stroy is insanity to me.
    They ruled it a homicide, but havent arrested anyone.

Joanna:

It's very sad for Joanna and her family, but I also feel bad for the other little girl. She is only a kid and she will most likely never forget that fight..

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

What do you wanna bet that this girl had some sort of unknown medical issue and the fight brought it out.

I think it's sad that its being called a homicide until they do an autopsy. They are 11 yrs old! The article alone said no one even hit the ground. It was basicaly a push and shove and throw a few weenie punches,

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    What do you wanna bet that this girl had some sort of unknown medical issue and the fight brought it out.

I think it's sad that its being called a homicide until they do an autopsy. They are 11 yrs old! The article alone said no one even hit the ground. It was basicaly a push and shove and throw a few weenie punches,
    Totally, and the stigma behind that fight is going to fuck with that little girl forever.

i know I read somewhere that some girls tried to break up the fight but some boys were holding those girls back and egging on the two girls that were fighting.

Evil little boys.

It came out today that the girl died from blunt force trauma to the head because during the fight the other little girl grabbed her by the hair and brought her head down to knee her inthe forehead. It was that knee to the head that killed her. It caused a bloody nose and led to the vomitting and headaches that her mom took her in for. And that led to them finding she had a blod clot in her brain because of the hit.

I actually applaud the mom for taking her in to the hospital so quick. If I was throwing up and said i had a headache my mom would have told me to walk it off

A knee to the head? That's hardcore for gradeschool girls. Wonder where she learned that move?
    I wear caps with flat brims and sunglasses with white frames. I...DROOL...

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    It came out today that the girl died from blunt force trauma to the head because during the fight the other little girl grabbed her by the hair and brought her head down to knee her inthe forehead. It was that knee to the head that killed her. It caused a bloody nose and led to the vomitting and headaches that her mom took her in for. And that led to them finding she had a blod clot in her brain because of the hit.

I actually applaud the mom for taking her in to the hospital so quick. If I was throwing up and said i had a headache my mom would have told me to walk it off
    Mine too LOL

The first rule of Fight Club is.....

Joanna Ramos Death Ruled A Homicide, School Community Is Shaken

LONG BEACH, Calif. ? Cecilia Villanueva sat helplessly in the backseat and watched her 10-year-old daughter turn blue as her husband raced them to the hospital in a panic.

Earlier, the fifth-grader, Joanna Ramos, had come home from school vomiting and complaining of a headache after a fight with another girl.

Before she passed out on the family couch, she told her mother an 11-year-old girl had punched her in the head.

"I could see her lips turning purple and I got so scared. I tried to do CPR," her mother said Tuesday, choking back tears. "I tried my best, but when we got to the hospital they said her heart was stopped. They tried, they tried so hard."

Joanna was pronounced dead on Friday night after undergoing emergency surgery for a blood clot on her brain, her 17-year-old sister, Vanessa Urbina, said.

The Los Angeles County coroner's office labeled the case a homicide and said Joanna died of blunt force trauma to the head. Police said they have made no arrests and were conducting an investigation that will be presented to prosecutors when it's completed.

The girl's family and friends are stunned and struggling to understand how a schoolyard fight over a boy could end in death for a bubbly girl who loved to dance and sing, religiously followed soap operas on TV, and had a penchant for curling her long, dark hair. Joanna would have turned 11 on March 12.

Villanueva said she is certain her daughter didn't tell her the whole story, and she is wary of believing the rumors that have been circulating among Joanna's classmates.

"I told the doctor what happened and he said, `One punch is not enough, the way that she is right now,'" Villanueva said. "My daughter told me one punch, only, just one. And the doctor said, `Hmmm, I don't think so. One wouldn't cause too much damage.'"

Police have said the fight in an alley after school on Friday lasted less than a minute, involved no weapons and no one fell to the ground.

Villanueva, 41, said that before Joanna lost consciousness, she told her mother the other girl was her "enemy" but offered no further explanation.

"I said, what happened, and she said, `a girl punched my head,' and I said why, and she said, `I don't know Mom. We are enemies,'" Villanueva recalled. "I asked her, you don't have any enemies. Why, Joanna? She told me, `I don't want to talk, I'm tired and I want to go to sleep.'"

"After that she didn't say anything no more," the mother said.

While the circumstances of Joanna's death are tragic and extremely unusual, medical experts said a blow in just the right spot can often prove fatal.

"This is rare, in that I've never seen it in a female, certainly not in a female adolescent," said Dr. Keith Black, a neurosurgeon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Black, who was not involved in Joanna's medical care, sees such injuries all the time among older patients, and said a blow to the head from one young girl to another could "absolutely" be sufficient to cause enough trauma to lead to death.

Punches to the head can often lead to delayed bleeding if a vein is torn, and that can lead to a clot when blood collects on the surface of the brain.

In a Tuesday column printed in The Press-Telegram of Long Beach, the trauma surgeon who treated Joanna in the emergency room said she suffered bleeding inside her skull and arrived at the hospital in grave condition. She went into cardiac arrest four times before she was finally pronounced dead, he said.

"Her eyes were `fixed and dilated,' the worst sign possible. To a layperson, they look like the lifeless eyes of a little child's doll," Dr. Mauricio Heilbron Jr. of St. Mary's Medical Center wrote in the column.

The death has rattled the school community at Willard Elementary, located in a working-class neighborhood just a few miles from a more affluent area of homes that front a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

School officials believe the fight occurred near the school in a 15-minute window between the time school let out and the start of Joanna's after-school program at 2:30 p.m., said Chris Eftychiou, a spokesman for the Long Beach Unified School District.

Joanna didn't have any visible injuries or show any signs of distress for about an hour, but she eventually told staff she felt unwell and was picked up by a relative, he said.

Symptoms ? such as headache, nausea, lethargy ? may not set in for hours and people can mistakenly think that they're fine, Black said.

Typically, he said, the hit to the head would have to be fairly significant to cause a blood clot and often involves the head hitting walls or the ground, but a punch is enough.

Fights involving young children, including girls, are increasing nationally, in part because of the wired world children now live in, said Travis Brown, a national expert on bullying and school violence.

Children used to have a disagreement at school and would have a night or a weekend to cool down, but social media and text messaging mean students can continue their dispute 24 hours a day.

"There was a time when a kid had a way to escape the things at school, but now there's no escape," Brown said. "That stuff just escalates to a point where it gets out of hand. This is an everyday occurrence."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1306642.html

You just watch, there is gonna be screaming and yelling on both sides saying the girl she fought needs to be legally punished. Fuck, Ive gotten into fights in school, never busted in the head but this is so unreal to me.

This was a stupid ass fight that ended up lethal. I seriously hope to hell they dont charge that other girl.

It sounds like both the kids were really young and didn't really know what they were doing. I don't think it's right to pursue homicide, manslaughter, or any wrongful death charges against the other girl. Maybe assault or something, and some serious disciplinary action at home and school. But none of this trying her as an adult and sending her away to prison for years on end. It was an unfortunate and avoidable circumstance that led to this accident, but I do think it was an accident and should be treated accordingly.
    I wear caps with flat brims and sunglasses with white frames. I...DROOL...

Thread Information