Thread: Will Patterson (18), a Baylor freshman, was found dead in backseat of his burning car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will Patterson (18), a Baylor freshman, was found dead in backseat of his burning car

McLennan County (KCEN)-McLennan County Sheriff's Office has confirmed that the body found in a burning car near Waco in McLennan County Thursday morning is that of Baylor University freshman, Will Patterson.

The burning Cadillac was discovered just before 7 a.m. in the 400 block of Eastland Lake Drive by a passerby.

The McLennan County Sheriff's Office, Downsville and Robinson Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene to find the car burning and a body in the backseat.

Earlier Thursday evening university newspaper, The Baylor Lariat, reported that Cadillac belonged to Patterson.

The Lariat reported Patterson had been missing Thursday morning.

Officials say the body was so badly burned that race, age and gender could not initially be determined.

The fire is being considered questionable, but it has not been determined if the fire was intentional or accidental at this time.

Patterson played high school football for Churchill High School in San Antonio. He graduated in 2011.

Baylor University released a statement Friday saying, "We are deeply saddened to receive this news about Will, who was a freshman film and digital media major from San Antonio. We have extended our deepest condolences to Will's family and will continue to extend to them every measure of care that we can during this very difficult time. We are also providing support services for students on our campus who are grieving the loss of their friend and classmate."

Friends of Patterson told KCEN HD that Patterson was involved with the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

On Friday the members of Phi Gamma Delta released a statement Friday saying, "The members of Phi Gamma Delta extend our deepest sympathies to the Patterson family. We share in their grief at the loss of our friend Will, and offer our full support as we all struggle with this tragic loss. We also want to thank the Baylor administration and our fellow students for their support"

http://www.kcentv.com/story/16898796...de-burning-car

MCLENNAN COUNTY - Sources close to the investigation tell News Channel 25 authorities have surveillance video showing 18-year old Baylor student Will Patterson purchasing containers and fuel from a nearby store the morning he died when his car caught fire. Reports of the car fire came in less than 15 minutes after the fuel was purchased.

The McLennan County Sheriff's Office received a preliminary report from Southwest Institute Forensic Science on Tuesday, but the finding for cause of death is still pending. Police do not suspect foul play.

"There's not something out there that people need to be worried about," said Chief Deputy Randy Plemons. "This was an isolated incident."

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was called in to help the Sheriff's Office with the investigation.

"We're trying to determine if there was any type of accelerant, or anything of that nature that would be in the vehicle," explained Plemons. "We're trying to verify what that was."

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon in Patterson's hometown of San Antonio at Woodland Baptist Church.

http://www.kxxv.com/story/16925977/b...rning-of-death

Update: Death ruled a suicide. :( I can't even begin to imagine what was going through his mind or what on earth made him choose to take his own life in this horrific way.

A San Antonio teenager who was found dead in his burning car near Waco, where he was attending college, committed suicide, according to a recently released autopsy report.

William David Patterson, 18, died Feb. 9 of thermal burns and smoke inhalation, the report from the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences said.

The document was released through McLennan County Justice of the Peace Kristi DeCluitt's office Wednesday morning.

?We just got the news about 30 minutes ago,? said Evan Frost Patterson, 23, Will Patterson's older brother, around noon Wednesday. ?We're still very sorry about Will, and we're very sad and upset by it. We love him, and we miss him.?

A Churchill High School graduate and Eagle Scout, Will Patterson was a freshman studying film and digital media at Baylor University. He was also pledging the Kappa Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta, like his older brother had done, and maintained a 3.6 GPA, according to his obituary.

According to authorities, surveillance video showed Will Patterson buying fuel containers and fuel minutes before the McLennan County Sheriff's Office was called to the shoulder of Eastland Lake Road for a burning Cadillac.

Lori Fogleman, a Baylor spokeswoman, said she could not say whether or not Patterson had showed signs of being suicidal or sought help through the university's health services.

?But regardless of the police investigation, what matters here is that this was a terrible tragedy,? she said. ?Our heart breaks for his family in San Antonio and his friends and peers here at Baylor.?

She added that the fraternity is not under investigation in connection with Patterson's death.

Bryan Baker, the fraternity chapter president, had no comment.
    Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1yPcW1gDF

At least his family has some closure.

He chose to die by fire?? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

That has to be one of the worst ways to go. Man, I always wonder how they manage to stay in that fire instead of feeling that and flipping out!

Maybe he knocked himself out somehow beforehand. Yeah staying in a burning car would be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Self immolation fascinates me. Rip William.

My cousin is a freshman at Baylor.

What an awful way to go. I really hope he did somehow knock himself out beforehand, or that he died from smoke inhalation.

I wonder how the autopsy determined it's a suicide versus murder or some kind of freak accident? I know nothing about forensics so this is fascinating to me.

I feel so sorry for him, and his family too.

I dunno - I just have a feeling with being in such an enclosed space that the heat and fire got to him first before the smoke inhalation. I really hope I'm wrong; such an awful way to take your life

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Huh? you're a woman?

I live in Waco and has been following this pretty closely. KWTX reported that died of "thermal burns and smoke inhalation". Either way, that's a tough way to go. Not to mention it was in his recently purchased Cadillac. I can't imagine his train of thought.

RIP Will

Im sorry, I lol'd at the comment about him doing it in such a car as the one he did.
    im not trying to be mean, I just thought Wtf?

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    i'm horrible. my first thought was *i suppose he wanted to be cremated.*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    I have to agree....of all the ways to kill yourself, why by fire? I'm a big baby, I'd have to do it quick and somewhat painless. I wish I knew what the thought process is of people who choose this.

RIP Will.

This is an interesting site about the man who set himself on fire on the courthouse steps in New Hampshire last summer:

http://thomasjamesball.com/

It gives a peek into the mindset of one victim of self-immolation.

RIP Will
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nestlequickie again"

Thank you for posting that! Very interesting stuff.

Yeah, I'm months late on a response and I guess I'm not sure if you're referring to me ("the comment about him" is a vague remark) but just for the record, I didn't mean "OMG he ruined a Cadillac!" I was merely communicating my inability to relate to his decision to BUY a fancy/expensive car to just kill yourself in. I was pointing to his bizarre state of mind. He clearly had some issues and I feel awful for the Patterson family, but, if your comment was directed toward me did you seriously read what I wrote as being more sympathetic toward the car than toward Will? Regardless, I don't think a "LOL" face belongs anywhere in this thread.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

What an awful way to go.

Thread Information