Thread: Corrie Bruun (31) - died after aspirating gastric contents during a bariatric surgery

Corrie Bruun (31) - died after aspirating gastric contents during a bariatric surgery

Corrie Elizabeth Bruun

March 11, 1980 - January 24, 2012

Corrie was born March 11, 1980 in Salem, Oregon to David and Jeanne Bruun. She graduated from South Salem High School, and worked for six years as a teaching assistant for Headstart. A member of Salem Evangelical, she was involved in her community as an advocate for Headstart and working with Stitches and Xtreme Tours Ministry, which works with homeless youth. Corrie had a passion for kids.

Corrie loved Jesus with all her heart and is now with him. She would want all to know that all who call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. She had an amazing voice, and her dream was to sing. She lived her life with passion and had a heart of gold.

Corrie was preceded in death by her father, David Bruun. She is survived by her four sons, Jimmy, Noah, Isaiah and Josiah of Salem; mother Jeanne Bruun of Salem; brother Ted (Suzanne) Bruun of Franklin, Tennessee; and sister Wendy (Steven) Schmaltz of La Center, Washington.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, January 28, 12 pm at Salem Evangelical Church. Arrangements under the care of Howell-Edwards-Doerksen Funeral Home.

Published in StatesmanJournal on January 28, 2012
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sta...&pid=155661463
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...599832&sk=info

Her death might have been caused by a bariatric surgery gone wrong. Can anybody confirm? Because I don't live in the States I can only see a preview of the article:

On or about January 19,2012, Corrie Bruun came under defendants'care for bariatric. 3 surgery. Conie Bruun remained under defendants' care continuously ...
    http://www.kaiserbadnews.com/Download?ftuId=1619812

Yes, it's a medical malpractice suit against Kaiser Permanente after she "aspirated gastric contents." Her stomach should have been empty because you're not supposed to eat for 12 hours before surgery. I don't know, sounds like she may violated fasting protocol and then lied about it (or told the truth and they proceeded w/the surgery anyway). I don't know about California, but they're pretty serious about that here in Florida. I'm hypoglycemic and they flipped out when they found out I sucked on a dissolvable glucose tablet on my way to the hospital (surgery wasn't scheduled for hours yet). They moved my surgery to the back of the line that day, which I thought was a bit dramatic (and possibly punitive), but hey.... I'm here.

Last edited by KimTisha; 05-29-2020 at 04:58 AM. Reason: fix linx
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information