Thread: The State of Science Standards 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The State of Science Standards 2012

American science performance is lagging as the economy becomes increasingly high tech, but our current science standards are doing little to solve the problem. Reviewers evaluated science standards for every state for this report and their findings were deeply troubling: The majority of states earned Ds or Fs for their standards in this crucial subject, with only six jurisdictions receiving As. Explore all the state report cards and see how your state performed.

More info here.

http://www.edexcellence.net/publicat...ards-2012.html

Graded map

And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Wow. Way to go, red states. Oh, wait. That would be an A- and you're not that smart. Can't blame liberal media on this one.

http://io9.com/5881494/your-state-sucks-at-science
    That last bit should be a point of major concern for every person in the country, because as the report notes, a shocking majority of the states' standards are in fact "mediocre to awful." We're talking about purple, green, and grey states, here [click for a bigger version of the map]. States like Tennessee, where, according to the report, "half the biology course options in high school do not entail evolution."

But the undermining of unifying scientific concepts isn't the only hurdle the country is facing. The report also calls attention to vague goals, a shoddy implementation of the concept of scientific inquiry into lesson plans, and a lack of instruction in mathematics, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

My first DP. :(
    Last edited by Artemis; 02-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    My state sucks at everything in education. I love what I do, really
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Arizona is an awful place. They are worse than Texas. At least Texas has Austin and Houston to counter some of the stupidity.

i have to agree so hard with this. its fucking sad what goes on in the classroom and i cant do anything about it. i have ZERO technology - any tech that i use, i bring it in myself. I do not have a smartboard, no computerized lab tools, no laptops (just mine), only half the electrical outlets work, the gas outlets dont work or are faulty and the lab hasnt been renovated since 1954.
    its fucking sad. supposedly they are being renovated next summer (not this summer) but the school board is a bunch of ..... and i doubt they can get their one brain cell to get that off the ground.

i had an awesome lab when i worked in jersey city. but that was a catholic school.

i went to new mexico to a teacher workshop to learn how to properly teach IB biology. We were split into groups, where we had to create a lesson plan to teach evolution. there was a man from Tennessee and he was not participating... "i dont teach evolution"
    and i was like "how can you NOT teach evolution??"
    "my kids dont wanna believe they came from MONkeys"
    *facepalm*

he also semi told me off - that it was disgusting that i taught evolution in a catholic school and thats whats wrong with the catholic religion and new jersey in general . i should have killed him while i had the chance.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    i have to agree so hard with this. its fucking sad what goes on in the classroom and i cant do anything about it. i have ZERO technology - any tech that i use, i bring it in myself. I do not have a smartboard, no computerized lab tools, no laptops (just mine), only half the electrical outlets work, the gas outlets dont work or are faulty and the lab hasnt been renovated since 1954.
    its fucking sad. supposedly they are being renovated next summer (not this summer) but the school board is a bunch of ..... and i doubt they can get their one brain cell to get that off the ground.

i had an awesome lab when i worked in jersey city. but that was a catholic school.

i went to new mexico to a teacher workshop to learn how to properly teach IB biology. We were split into groups, where we had to create a lesson plan to teach evolution. there was a man from Tennessee and he was not participating... "i dont teach evolution"
    and i was like "how can you NOT teach evolution??"
    "my kids dont wanna believe they came from MONkeys"
    *facepalm*

he also semi told me off - that it was disgusting that i taught evolution in a catholic school and thats whats wrong with the catholic religion and new jersey in general . i should have killed him while i had the chance.

This shit is embarrassing. Can't we just separate from the red states? Or at least the Confederate flag waving ones? They want out so bad, let em fucking go.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information