Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tornado Victim Christina Nicole Heichelbech, 16, found dead on her mattress 40 feet from home

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    These are good steps. I had a wind up radio, it broke. Flash floods? Have you heard about Dallas today? It amazes me that people drive through high water. I'm always mindful of the weather but like you, I'm out the front door with a scotch and a cigar when the sirens go off. I have all the Doppler and weather links on my android too. I need to fix my smoke alarms. Get new flashlights. Shit, my boat is way better prepared than my house.

I even make everyone when shoes in the house when a system is coming through....

I did hear about Dallas today. I'm also amazed at people driving through high water. Flash floods are when water comes out of no where, like around creeks, rivers, bridges, etc. There is a thread on here about some people being swept over a waterfall (there's video), that was a flash flood. The water looks "normal" so people come in or around it and then WHAM, FLOOD. People who are driving through a little bit of high water and then a big wave of water comes through and sweeps them and their car down the river, flash flood. You def need to get smoke detectors fixed. Flashlights and batteries are a must too! I like that you have everyone wearing shoes. I just keep mine close by. Be prepared

Poor girl. My mom loves weather tracking and is very cautious, I'm living at home for the rest of college and if she thinks it's going to be bad, regardless if we hear the sirens yet, she makes me hang out downstairs in her room so I'll be on the ground floor near the middle of the house lol. I was really hoping there wouldn't be any tornadoes or fatalities from this storm. We got a lot of wind, heavy rain, thunder and lightning that night. I usually get really excited for storms, I love listening to them. I grabbed a book and a snack and curled up in bed for when it went through here. :/ We have close friends across the highway who live in an old house that has a bomb shelter inside of the basement, lol, but we haven't ever felt the need to go over there thus far.

California will, 99% for sure, have a 6.7 or greater earthquake within the next 25 years. Or that's what my Earth System professor explained to us two semesters ago. That class was kind of hell for me, we learned about earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and things they cause. I would leave feeling so heavy inside, like the world was going to end and we were all going to die.

California will, 99% for sure, have a 6.7 or greater earthquake within the next 25 years. Or that's what my Earth System professor explained to us two semesters ago
    I've been hearing this exact same thing since I was about four years old and it hasn't happened. Seismologists guaranteeing it and everything. Still a ludicrous thing to me when people are like how can you live in Cali, EARTHQUAKES, when we have maybe one barely noticeable shake every two years that MAYBE knocks over a cereal box, and tornadoes and hurricanes are an annual event.

THE BIG ONE!!!! oooooOOOOooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOoooooOOoooooooooooH !

i think my favorite one so far was the one on easter sunday a few years back. it was a different sensation than "normal". there was a lot of seismic activity that year. but nothing crazy and well, that's the last time i remember noticing an earthquake. i like the element of surprise. not saying that these folks weren't a little surprised by the twister but it's not like we wake up in the morning and think hmmm..feels like earthquake weather.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    I've been hearing this exact same thing since I was about four years old and it hasn't happened. Seismologists guaranteeing it and everything. Still a ludicrous thing to me when people are like how can you live in Cali, EARTHQUAKES, when we have maybe one barely noticeable shake every two years that MAYBE knocks over a cereal box, and tornadoes and hurricanes are an annual event.
    I get that, but the thing is with tornadoes is that even the biggest monster funnels are only a mile wide and they skip and jump and typically don't last long. The chances of them hitting YOUR home are fairly remote. Hurricanes are a different story.

I thought there was pretty significant evidence that there was going to be a problem with the San Andreas fault was someday going to trigger a large event. They speak it like it's not if but when.

I get that, but the thing is with tornadoes is that even the biggest monster funnels are only a mile wide and they skip and jump and typically don't last long. The chances of them hitting YOUR home are fairly remote. Hurricanes are a different story.

I thought there was pretty significant evidence that there was going to be a problem with the San Andreas fault was someday going to trigger a large event. They speak it like it's not if but when.
    Nah, the thing about earthquakes is that the more small ones you have, the more pressure is released. The estimate of a massive earthquake could be tomorrow, could be in a hundred years. You can't live your life being afraid of odds like that. Actually, one of the biggest faultlines in the US runs under NYC. But they're not being told daily they're going to collapse. Why? Because they don't have little earthquakes that alarm people and send psychics running to consult crystal balls. When in reality, that means if something did trigger an earthquake in NYC, it would be fucking massive. But I wouldn't be like oh shit don't go to NYC because of that remote possibility!

You hear more people bagging on SoCal talking about earthquakes, IMO because they're trying to find something shitty about a place where it's 70 degrees most of the year, the people are pretty, and we have it pretty good. Tornadoes scare the fuck out of me and every year, there's a death toll in the states where lots of tornadoes occur. You don't see that every year in Cali with earthquakes. Unless you maybe mourn cereal boxes.

I'm happy that where I live, we really don't have much in the way of natural disasters. I've lived here for about 26 years, and the worst storm that I can recall is a hail storm that came through last year with some hurricane force winds. Blew some shingles off the roof and a branch off of a tree, but that was it.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

Nah, the thing about earthquakes is that the more small ones you have, the more pressure is released. The estimate of a massive earthquake could be tomorrow, could be in a hundred years. You can't live your life being afraid of odds like that. Actually, one of the biggest faultlines in the US runs under NYC. But they're not being told daily they're going to collapse. Why? Because they don't have little earthquakes that alarm people and send psychics running to consult crystal balls. When in reality, that means if something did trigger an earthquake in NYC, it would be fucking massive. But I wouldn't be like oh shit don't go to NYC because of that remote possibility!

You hear more people bagging on SoCal talking about earthquakes, IMO because they're trying to find something shitty about a place where it's 70 degrees most of the year, the people are pretty, and we have it pretty good. Tornadoes scare the fuck out of me and every year, there's a death toll in the states where lots of tornadoes occur. You don't see that every year in Cali with earthquakes. Unless you maybe mourn cereal boxes.
    Totally makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
    I'm happy that where I live, we really don't have much in the way of natural disasters. I've lived here for about 26 years, and the worst storm that I can recall is a hail storm that came through last year with some hurricane force winds. Blew some shingles off the roof and a branch off of a tree, but that was it.

Had to have my roof replaced this year due to hail and wind. Nice new pretty roof, thank you State farm!

I don't associate Texas with natural disasters, really. jUST WITH ANNOYING CALL CENTERS THAT CALL ME TEN TIMES A FUCKING DAY.

I don't associate Texas with natural disasters, really. jUST WITH ANNOYING CALL CENTERS THAT CALL ME TEN TIMES A FUCKING DAY.
    Ah, you must have filled out a form on line, I can help you with that.....

Ah, you must have filled out a form on line, I can help you with that.....
    I just went to the National Do Not Call Registry. In the meantime, I answer my phone with 'take me off this fucking list' and hang up.

I just went to the National Do Not Call Registry. In the meantime, I answer my phone with 'take me off this fucking list' and hang up.
    All kidding aside, 90% of our business is inbound. The outbound stuff are partials, where we call people back to complete internet orders. I wouldn't get shitty with the reps,just calmly ask to be DNC at the start of the call and they'll be happy to oblige. People who get shitty get their number passed around the room and put on the call back forever list.

Quote Originally Posted by wmdeeznuts View Post
    In my free time, I'm actually working on creating a custom tornado sensor array that I will attempt to launch up into the vortex of a tornado in order to gather data about it in the hopes of translating that data into more effective tornado prevention measures. But I keep being distracted by my quasi-hot, yet eccentric, storm-chasing ex-girlfriend...
    Wow! How cool. I hope you will name your array "Dorothy". And you should get some of your nerdy, geeky friends to travel back roads during severe weather warnings to help you launch her into a storm!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

All kidding aside, 90% of our business is inbound. The outbound stuff are partials, where we call people back to complete internet orders. I wouldn't get shitty with the reps,just calmly ask to be DNC at the start of the call and they'll be happy to oblige. People who get shitty get their number passed around the room and put on the call back forever list.
    Oh, honey. We are way past that. I have asked about three times nicely to be taken off the list. They literally call about five to six times a day, every day including weekends, starting at around 8 am. It's some company selling school information or something. Just because their number is a Texas number doesn't mean anyone manning the phones is from or in Texas.

Oh, honey. We are way past that. I have asked about three times nicely to be taken off the list. They literally call about five to six times a day, every day including weekends, starting at around 8 am. It's some company selling school information or something. Just because their number is a Texas number doesn't mean anyone manning the phones is from or in Texas.
    I would politely ask for a supervisor, they are idiots to waste their resources on calling you, aside from annoying you, it's a waste of manpower and telecom resources. Maybe a management member can disposition the call correctly. Sounds like an exceptionally poorly managed operation.

I would politely ask for a supervisor, they are idiots to waste their resources on calling you, aside from annoying you, it's a waste of manpower and telecom resources. Maybe a management member can disposition the call correctly. Sounds like an exceptionally poorly managed operation.
    They're all like Indian telemarketing scams. Have you ever talked to an Indian manager at a call center? I'd be better off just talking to myself.

They're all like Indian telemarketing scams. Have you ever talked to an Indian manager at a call center? I'd be better off just talking to myself.
    That's why more and more companies are bring the work back to the states.

Thread Information