Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Paterno (85) died of lung cancer

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    While i am not sad by this death i think some of you are relegating this as just a guy who coaches football. If that was the case, nobody would be sad. In that community Joe has done a lot of good outside of the football field for a long time. Thousands of players were impacted by him. He also was one of the first and only coaches that put academics ahead of athletics. Penn state players have had one of the highest graduation rates amongst college football players. He was very charitable to that university on the academic side. This is why this is a hot issue and people care and are sad by his death in that community. Not just because he coached football.
    This is all cause of a few football games. Shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

His legacy is no joke.
    On and off the field.

Too bad he tarnished it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    This is all cause of a few football games. Shut up.

What are you talking about? Whether you like it or not, athletics are vital to many universities. They bring in a lot of money to academic departments. In terms of a community aspect they bring people together and help form bonds within the community within the university. They also give many kids the chance to get a higher education and be exposed to an entirely different world. Tons and tons of kids have made something of themselves because of it and not just playing sports, but in all areas of life. To simply make this about playing a game is beyond stupid and is ignorant.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

What are you talking about? Whether you like it or not, athletics are vital to many universities. They bring in a lot of money to academic departments. In terms of a community aspect they bring people together and help form bonds within the community within the university. They also give many kids the chance to get a higher education and be exposed to an entirely different world. Tons and tons of kids have made something of themselves because of it and not just playing sports, but in all areas of life. To simply make this about playing a game is beyond stupid and is ignorant.
    I'm kidding. I just wanna get you going so I can cut & paste your argument. Thanks!

While i am not sad by this death i think some of you are relegating this as just a guy who coaches football. If that was the case, nobody would be sad. In that community Joe has done a lot of good outside of the football field for a long time. Thousands of players were impacted by him. He also was one of the first and only coaches that put academics ahead of athletics. Penn state players have had one of the highest graduation rates amongst college football players. He was very charitable to that university on the academic side. This is why this is a hot issue and people care and are sad by his death in that community. Not just because he coached football.
    This. He was considered a stand up guy for generations. Sad to see all that washed away.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Oh. Well add in that it also keeps former alumni active so that they become boosters that give money to universities for academics and athletics. Also without the big revenue from football, other sports that nobody cares about like womens sports and wrestling, tennis, golf etc would be no more. It also keeps schools in the media so you can look at it as a form of advertising for prospective students. It can be a factor in terms of bringing in the smartest kids the area has to offer because many kids choose their colleges not just entirely on academics but because of the fun/social experience that college can bring.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    This. He was considered a stand up guy for generations. Sad to see all that washed away.

Yes. I agree.

Yea but I havent seen anyone argue that Paterno wasnt a legacy

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    Yea but I havent seen anyone argue that Paterno wasnt a legacy

They are though. In this thread and throughout the net people don't understand why he is a big deal because they just think he is a part of some stupid game that means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    If someone never even heard of him until this scandal broke, I don't expect them to be in any way sympathetic for the guy. I just hate when he becomes someone who "just won football games" to people that are hating him.

I mean people say "It's not like he cured AIDS" like that's the only thing one can do in life worthy of recognition.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    I had never heard of him until this broke. I understand what Chauncy is saying. It really is sad that all the good he did will forever be marred by the fact that he didn't speak up. Why he decided not to, we will never know.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Well most people Ive argued this with have knowledge of Penn States history as well as the scandal.

I have to go back and re-read this thread to see where someone said he wasnt a legend.

Eta: nevermind, sorry tfd

If someone never even heard of him until this scandal broke, I don't expect them to be in any way sympathetic for the guy. I just hate when he becomes someone who "just won football games" to people that are hating him.

I mean people say "It's not like he cured AIDS" like that's the only thing one can do in life worthy of recognition.
    Exactly and Penn State isn't some hick school in the south. It isn't some place where football is the only thing going on. There are a ton of other university options in that area. There are a lot of bright minds over there and if it was simply about winning in football, there wouldn't be this sadness around that community. The people there know he did wrong, but they also recognize how important he was for that university and community........thus you have these mixed emotions over there that are leaning towards the positive and putting more focus on his entire life/legacy and not just this incident.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    Well most people Ive argued this with have knowledge of Penn States history as well as the scandal.

I have to go back and re-read this thread to see where someone said he wasnt a legend.

Eta: nevermind, sorry tfd
    I was like, "I never said that!" I don't follow college football so maybe that's why. Doesn't mean he's not a legend.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    I was like, "I never said that!" I don't follow college football so maybe that's why. Doesn't mean he's not a legend.
    I know, I just thought people generally knew the history he carried around in his back pocket.

While it might be hard for the Penn State kids to wrap their head around the good and bad of Paterno, they need to read those grand jury transcripts one more time.

I had never heard of him until this broke. I understand what Chauncy is saying. It really is sad that all the good he did will forever be marred by the fact that he didn't speak up. Why he decided not to, we will never know.
    Let's get this straight because i also see people that don't really understand all of what happened. Not saying this is you btw. Many believe he did nothing at all when he found out about the allegations. It was reported to him by someone else first off. He didn't see anything. He went to the higher ups as he was required to do via university rules and reported it. He did all that right. What he did wrong was leave it at that. He should have done something when it was realized that the higher ups didn't report it to police. Whether that was putting pressure on them to do so, or going himself to the police with the allegations. That is where the fuck up was.

It's reprehensible that he didn't. Athletics are vital to many schools. My grad program was at a school, that like many others, glorifies the athletes and their coaches. They can do no wrong and are glorified for their game. Many students have a chance at a good education because of their prowess and some of them take advantage of that and actually forge a back up plan while they play for the school by majoring in something that will provide them a decent life.

I'd never heard of Paterno and avoid most discussions of sports and athletic events. I know one adult man that was repeatedly raped by a Catholic priest as a child. It has ruined his life, to say the least. He is my age and although he has had more resources to deal with it than most (i.e. therapy, family, school, a huge financial settlement), none of it will ever replace what was taken from him as a young person.

I guess, to me, child rape, in and of itself is horrific enough. But when one uses their position of power and influence to further gain access to young people, it compounds how truly brutal the action is to the victim. If the entire community celebrates your abuser as a hero, it makes you that much worse for feeling badly about what happened to you.

Here you have a person that was in the ideal situation to speak up. He was idolized and respected. Why he didn't makes no sense to me. It never will. Could his relationship with one person have mattered to him so much that he was willing to look the other way at something that would drive most of the rest of us to blind rage? I can't think of anyone I would shelter in such a situation.

Let's get this straight because i also see people that don't really understand all of what happened. Not saying this is you btw. Many believe he did nothing at all when he found out about the allegations. It was reported to him by someone else first off. He didn't see anything. He went to the higher ups as he was required to do via university rules and reported it. He did all that right. What he did wrong was leave it at that. He should have done something when it was realized that the higher ups didn't report it to police. Whether that was putting pressure on them to do so, or going himself to the police with the allegations. That is where the fuck up was.
    Exactly and he's JOE PATERNO.
    He had more pull in that school than any of those higher ups.
    Its already been said, He did it right procedure-wise, but thats it.

Exactly and he's JOE PATERNO.
    He had more pull in that school than any of those higher ups.
    Its already been said, He did it right procedure-wise, but thats it.
    How he could sleep at night leaving it there is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Peavey View Post
    It sounds like he only covered himself from a legal standpoint (and not a moral one).

Like he asked his lawyer "what do I need to do so that I can't get in any trouble, legally?"

...and left it at that.

yeah, fuck this guy.

It sounds like he only covered himself from a legal standpoint (and not a moral one).

Like he asked his lawyer "what do I need to do so that I can't get in any trouble, legally?"

...and left it at that.
    Life. From many people's perspective, I'm doing it wrong.

...and left it at that.
    Right and as human beings we have more of an obligation to protect children than just the legal aspect.
    Since he cared so much about male youth, he should have understood this even more

Could have been a few reasons for this. First off he is old. Not as sharp when you are that age. Also, he is a system guy that follows university rules. He simply could have been out of touch, reported it and since the higher ups didn't pursue it, he let it go and continued with what he does which is a taxing job. I'm not defending him btw, but just giving reasons as to why he did what he did because i don't think it was an issue he fully grasped. I don't think it was some thing where he knew what horror this type of thing was and he couldn't sleep at night the past 9 years because of it knowing a predator was on the loose. If he did, there is no doubt it would have been reported because it was the right thing to do. His history shows he did things right. Also just for the selfish reasons that it could bite him in the ass and cause even greater shame to the university. If he realized all this he would of reported it. I honestly think he was a 75 year old man that was very naive and didn't understand the full gravity of the situation.

The only thing I can think is that he was from a different era. I have to think he somehow believed that these things just don't happen. Kids aren't raped by people who are in a position of trust, and my friend would never do such a thing, just as a priest, or boy scout leader or... Once you are firmly in the denial zone then it gets easier to pretend you did what you needed to do.

Either that, or he's a total monster who cared only about success and his reputation.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information