Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Paterno (85) died of lung cancer

Joe Paterno (85) died of lung cancer

Joe Paterno
    , the man who for decades was synonymous with Penn State football and was known by the college football world as just "JoePa", has died. Paterno, 85, had been receiving chemotherapy as part of his treatment for lung cancer, and complications from that treatment claimed the longtime Penn State coach's life on Saturday.

Paterno was the head coach of Penn State for 46 seasons before being fired in November as his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal came under greater scrutiny. Combined with the time he spent as an assistant, Paterno spent a total of 61 years on the Penn State sidelines. He left behind a legacy that, on the field of play, was unparalleled in Division I football. Paterno holds the all-time Division I record for football coaching wins with a 409-136-3 record, and he won two national championships while going undefeated in five different seasons.

[STATS: JoePa's lifetime coaching record]

Under Paterno, Penn State was a perennial powerhouse, known for decades as "Linebacker U" for its propensity to develop All-American linebackers. Paterno coached such great linebackers as Dennis Onkotz, Jack Ham, Shane Conlan, LaVar Arrington, Paul Posluszny, Dan Connor, and Sean Lee, along with many others.

Additionally, running back John Cappalletti won the Heisman Trophy in 1973 under Paterno, and Cappalletti was one of seven Penn State players to win the Maxwell Award for most outstanding college football player. All in all, 68 players were named first-team All-American by at least one of the major news services under Paterno; 13 of those players were two-year winners.

Paterno's longtime defensive coordinator and the architect of the defensive schemes that came to typify Penn State football was Jerry Sandusky, who's now more well-known for the allegations of underaged sexual abuse against him made by men who were involved in Sandusky's charity, The Second Mile, as boys. Sandusky is still awaiting trial for those allegations, and he pled not guilty to the charges in December 2011.

In an interview with the Washington Post released just a week before Paterno's death, he expressed remorse for not having done more to stop Sandusky's alleged crimes, and he also said he was "just sick about" the situation. Investigators did not bring charges against Paterno, and instead mentioned that he had fulfilled his legal obligations by notifying his superiors about an alleged assault when he was first notified in 2002.

After Paterno was fired in 2011, Penn State named Tom Bradley -- who, coincidentally, was Sandusky's replacement at defensive coordinator -- interim head coach. Bradley went 1-3, including a loss to Houston in the TicketCity Bowl, and was not retained as a coach when Penn State hired Bill O'Brien in January.

Paterno was well known for encouraging his players to excel in the classroom and earn their undergraduate degrees at Penn State, and his name will live on at Penn State after his firing and death. Paterno and his wife Sue were major financial supporters of Penn State University, as they donated millions of dollars for the Paterno Library on campus, and Paterno helped establish the Paterno Liberal Arts Undergraduate Fellows Program.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/34497800
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Man, you're quick. Was just posting. It seemed like he was doing okay- maybe he didn't have any fight in him.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Man, you're quick. Was just posting. It seemed like he was doing okay- maybe he didn't have any fight in him.
    Hah. I saw something a couple hours ago about them calling the family together. Was circling like a vulture, I was. I'm sure this whole mess knocked whatever fight he had left out of him.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Hah. I saw something a couple hours ago about them calling the family together. Was circling like a vulture, I was. I'm sure this whole mess knocked whatever fight he had left out of him.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. And CNN still has "serious condition" as their headline.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/21/us/pen...html?hpt=hp_t3
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant. And CNN still has "serious condition" as their headline.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/21/us/pen...html?hpt=hp_t3
    They're letting Gingrich and South Carolina distract them...

they are saying he has not passed away yet....on espn they had it scrolling at the bottom saying family have gathered at the hospital bc he wanted to see them and say his last goodbyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

MSNBC says he's still alive but gravely ill.

cake posted on my link that some students are saying that he has been dead for 1-2 hours, but it wasn't leaked....who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    This is when people start talking about karma. Cause dying at 85 is totally horrible.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

CBS has not been the same since Cronkite died.

Even as students and fans continue to hold vigils around Joe Paterno‘s statue outside of Beaver Stadium, the man for whom it honors continues the fight for his life.

According to the Washington Post‘s Dave Sheinen, with Sally Jenkins listed as a contributor to the report, the Paterno family is weighing whether to take the ex-Penn State football coach off a ventilator. The report is noteworthy as Jenkins was granted the first interview Paterno had given earlier this month.

The Post, citing family sources, goes on to write that Paterno’s wishes are to not “be kept alive through extreme artificial means.”

Paterno was hospitalized Jan. 13 — the same day his interview with Jenkins concluded, ironically — due to complications from the chemotherapy he was enduring in his battle against lung cancer, and has remained at the State College medical facility for the past nine days. Reports of Paterno’s death that surfaced late Saturday night were almost immediately debunked by the coach’s sons on Twitter.

While described as gravely ill, Paterno was reportedly awake and able to communicate with family and friends who had been summoned to the hospital due to his deteriorating condition. A family spokesperson acknowledged that Paterno had “experienced further health complications” and “his doctors have now characterized his status as serious.”

In a tweet posted to his Twitter account, Jay Paterno, the coach’s son and former Nittany Lions quarterbacks coach, mentioned the show of support his father had received since news broke of his worsening condition.

“Drove by students at the Joe statue. Just told my Dad about all the love & support–inspiring him.”

That tweet was preceded by one that said, in part, “Joe is continuing to fight.”
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...lator/related/

Just got a breaking news alert on my phone - he's finally checked out.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1426/satur...eath-of-franco
    Last edited by strmmrgrrl; 01-22-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Meh.

Good riddance. If he get's the chance to play through this life another time, maybe he'll consider being a stand up person that doesn't allow children to be raped so he doesn't rock the boat. Fucker.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    I feel sorry for his family. They've been through hell (NOT SAYING THE VICTIM'S HAVEN'T DO NOT THINK I'M EXCUSING SHIT) and to have him go in the middle of all that...
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    I feel sorry for his family. They've been through hell (NOT SAYING THE VICTIM'S HAVEN'T DO NOT THINK I'M EXCUSING SHIT) and to have him go in the middle of all that...
    No, I think that those are mutually exclusive sentiments.
    If this were my kid that got raped and he'd remained silent, I'd have wanted his blood on my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Peavey View Post
    No, I think that those are mutually exclusive sentiments.
    If this were my kid that got raped and he'd remained silent, I'd have wanted his blood on my hands.
    Without a doubt. I haven't had any sympathy for him.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Yo, some people LOVE this fucking guy. FB was scary today.

Quote Originally Posted by Peavey View Post
    Good riddance. If he get's the chance to play through this life another time, maybe he'll consider being a stand up person that doesn't allow children to be raped so he doesn't rock the boat. Fucker.
    Oh it's worse than that. His supporters are trying to excuse him on the grounds that he just didn't want to rock the boat, but the asshole owned the damn boat. If he'd wanted the University President gone, he'd have been gone. He was the king of college station. A phone call from him could make charges stick, or go away. So yeah that washed away all the good he did.

Shame, too. He had a notable career. It's sad but not nearly as sad as the thought of those poor kids.

yay!
    I don't sell crack, I'm a prostitute.

Quote Originally Posted by okac View Post
    yay!
    Not for everyone.

The mindset that a fucking sport is more important than the well being of people, children specifically, enrages me.

I feel for his family for their loss. Other than that, no fucks will be given.
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

here's a long article

'This is a sad day': Jerry Sandusky - the man who ended Joe Paterno's career - praises former Penn State coach as thousands pay tribute to football hero with candlelight vigil
    Celebrated coach spent decades on the sidelines before career ended in disgrace
    Former assistant Sandusky awaiting trial on 52 criminal counts in sex abuse case that led to Paterno's oust
    Son Scott thanks Penn State community, saying 'Dad loves you all'
    Sports columnists way in on the longtime coach's storied - but tarnished - career
    Westboro Baptist Church vows to picket at Paterno's funeral
    Hospitalized on January 13 over complications from lung cancer
    Last press interview earlier this month was conducted at his bedside

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-tribute.html

Sandusky is a sociopath. Yeah, I know, Captain Obvious. But why would you release a statement? No one gives a fuck how you feel.

While i am not sad by this death i think some of you are relegating this as just a guy who coaches football. If that was the case, nobody would be sad. In that community Joe has done a lot of good outside of the football field for a long time. Thousands of players were impacted by him. He also was one of the first and only coaches that put academics ahead of athletics. Penn state players have had one of the highest graduation rates amongst college football players. He was very charitable to that university on the academic side. This is why this is a hot issue and people care and are sad by his death in that community. Not just because he coached football.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Thread Information