Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ship aground off Italy; 3 bodies found, 69 missing

Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    How much is the average cruise ticket? $4k? I've never been on one.
    Costs vary quite a bit based on cruiseline, destination, length of cruise and type of cabin. About 15 years ago, I went on a 3 day cruise to Ensenada that cost $300!

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Because cruise ships are fucking massive and if you're in the wrong part that sinks, you're pretty much totally fucked. There's no escape plan because everything will be filled with water.
    I think we should throw Nuts on a cruise ship and sink it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Re: the lack of culture thing, Wahckjob, that's always been what alienated me about going on a cruise, but now I think I would go on one just because it would be good for me to be forced to do nothing but relax and limbo and drink mai tais for a week somewhere tropical. My adventures are always fun but never relaxing.
    They are really good for relaxation purposes. They have a lot of activities on cruises, so you can do things if you want to, but you certainly don't have to. And you can still take other vacations where you go immerse yourself in different cultures. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

A mix up or someone trying to make sure he did time?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...air/?tag=strip

Experts and lawyers representing survivors of the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship said Saturday that traces of cocaine were found on a sample of the ship captain's hair.

Fuel removal on Italy cruise ship underway

Prosecutors are investigating Schettino for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning his ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated. Thirty-two people are believed to have perished, including 15 whose bodies have not been found.

A statement on Codacons' website also contended that Schettino had told investigators he had taken tranquilizers but that no traces of that medication were found in either the hair or the urine.

Codacons said its experts are contending that the container holding the urine sample wasn't properly sealed. It said the results as they stand indicate a "strange, passive contamination", in which cocaine somehow got onto Schettino's hair even though he wasn't using the drug.

The prosecutor's office in Grosseto, Tuscany, was closed Saturday, as was the law office of the attorney defending Schettino, who is under house arrest in his home near Naples.

The consumer group on Friday also asked prosecutors to order DNA testing of the samples to confirm they are indeed those of Schettino, to eliminate the possibilities the samples were accidentally mislabeled or switched.

It is also seeking clarification as to which hair strands were taken, and whether they were snipped at the roots. Zerbi said the samples were taken on Jan. 17, a few days after the accident.

The Concordia's hull was speared by the reef after the ship cruised close to the island of Giglio in what many contend was a publicity stunt. Schettino has contended that the reef was not on maritime maps, but the reef is well known to sailors. He also insisted he didn't abandon the cruise liner.

The Concordia was carrying some 4,200 passengers and crew on a week's cruise on its standard route when it crashed into the reef during dinner a couple of hours after leaving an Italian port.

The boat started badly listing to one side almost immediately, causing passengers to panic and try to scramble aboard lifeboats. But the evacuation wasn't ordered until about an hour later, and some passengers jumped overboard to swim to Giglio when several of the lifeboats couldn't be deployed because of the ship's tilt.

Divers have been searching sections of the wreckage where some of the missing were last seen in hopes that more bodies can be recovered. After much delay, in great part because of stormy weather, pumping operations have been under way for a week to remove some 500,000 gallons of fuel from the ship's tanks.

The Concordia is lying on its side close to the port of Giglio, which is part of a protected Tuscan archipelago in pristine waters famed for whales, dolphins, fish and coral.
    However, cocaine was not found within the hair, or in his urine, which would have indicated that he had used the drug. The lawyers are demanding a repeat of the tests, claiming the samples from Capt. Francesco Schettino may have been contaminated or mislabeled.

Italian consumer protection group Codacons is representing some survivors of the shipwreck of the cruise liner, which rammed a reef near a Tuscan island the night of Jan. 13. Under Italian law, those attaching civil suits to a criminal case must be informed of, and allowed to monitor, evidence and other developments in the probe.

The results found by a court-appointed expert are "very strange," spokesman Stefano Zerbi told The Associated Press by telephone. The group is raising the possibility that the samples "more than anything else, had been badly preserved and contamination might have resulted," Zerbi said.

I never realized how close to land he was running.

Here is the idiot captain

Long read but these families are going to get screwed.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../21/236292.htm

wow.

Before the wreck, same chick, she survived.

Last edited by PCP777; 02-21-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Damn...they are totally screwed. :(

So, I read the Kindle single which had some eye witness accounts of the wreck and I have a much clearer understanding of why people died and had trouble getting off the ship.

It turns out that the ship was listing 60 degrees. Sometimes when I push my sailboat in a race, I'll get it to heel to 40 to 45 degrees and it's crazy hard to walk anywhere and you hear all sorts of shit falling down below. Now magnify that to a 60 degree tilt AND turn off all the lights and increase the size of the vessel 38 times. (yes I did the math!) So you're in a huge and cavernous cruise ship, easy to get lost, and even if you make it out to the high side deck the tilt is way to far to walk on and all the high side life boats are stuck. In the confusion the passengers had no idea they were only 70 yards from shore. It was very cold as well so people died of exposure. Add panic as people had no idea the shipp would go over and thought she would capsize. The crew was NOT communicating and panic set in.

But to my earlier point the only survivors after the first day that were left in the ship were a Korean couple who slept through the whole thing.

$1.99, good little read.

http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Voyage-W.../dp/B007BBJR7I

Thread Information