Thread: Affair Between Student and Married Teacher Leads to Teen's Murder in Tennessee

shiki

Affair Between Student and Married Teacher Leads to Teen's Murder in Tennessee

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. —  In a tragic twist to a familiar story, a teenager who had sex with his married 30-year-old teacher was fatally shot outside the woman's home, and authorities have charged the woman's husband.

"You see all this stuff with teachers involved with their students. It just comes up time after time on the national news," said Norman McLean, father of suspect Eric McLean. But this time, he said, someone "actually died over it."

McLean's wife, Erin, had completed half of a one-year teaching internship at West High School, where she met the 18-year-old Sean Powell last fall.

Powell's mother, who gave him up for adoption a dozen years ago but re-established contact in 2005, said her son acknowledged having an affair with a teacher.

"He wouldn't let me answer my cell phone," Debra Flynn recalled. "I said, 'Why?' He said, 'Well, Mom, I'm going out with this girl.' I said, 'So what?' He said, 'She is a counselor at school.' I said, 'Oh, my God, Sean."'

(Story continues below)
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259226,00.html

shiki

Re: Affair Between Student and Married Teacher Leads to Teen's Murder in Tennessee

more info: http://www.lineofduty.com/content/view/84897/108/
    Knoxville News-Sentinel

Knoxville, Tennessee

Eric McLean called E-911 about an intruder in his house 7 minutes before he allegedly killed the 18-year-old man who was romantically involved with his wife, an investigator said.

McLean, 31, is in jail without bond on a charge of first-degree murder. Authorities charged McLean with the slaying of Sean Powell, who was shot while sitting in a car in front of the McLean residence.

Relatives of Powell and McLean contend Powell, a former West High School student, was having an affair with 30-year-old Erin McLean, his former student teacher.

Knoxville Police Department Investigator Andrew Boatman said Powell appeared Saturday night at the door of the 2424 Coker Ave. residence of the McLeans.

"He (McLean) told him (Powell) he didn't want him on the property, but he came in anyway," Boatman said.

Eric McLean called E-911, Boatman said, to report "an intruder" in his home.

"The (911) dispatcher asked him why he was having a conversation with the intruder," Boatman said. "He said, 'I believe this kid has been stalking my wife.'

"He told the dispatcher it was all right, that the guy was leaving."

Seven minutes later, at 9:22 p.m., Erin McLean called E-911 to report her husband had just shot a man, Boatman said. Police found Powell shot once in the head sitting in the older model Mercedes his adoptive parents had bought him on his 18th birthday.

"At this point, I don't believe there was any kind of struggle in the house," Boatman said.

Jeffrey Crum, who pastors at the New Faith Fellowship church at 2402 Coker Ave., said Powell came into the church just before the slaying. Crum said Powell, whom he recognized from pictures after the shooting, asked to use the rest room between 8:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.

"He was real nice and polite; a real clean-cut kid," Crum said.

Powell also asked Crum's wife if he could use her cell phone. Powell used the phone to call a woman, but Crum was unsure of exactly what was said.

"The kid said something about we were really rocking Friday night, so he must have been around to hear our Friday night service," Crum said.

Police armed with a search warrant Monday seized several items from the residence, Boatman said. Confiscated items included notes and letters, he said.

Boatman said police had to get a search warrant for the house because Erin McLean "invoked her rights" to refuse police into the home.

"She won't talk to us," Boatman said. "She immediately asked for an attorney and wouldn't answer any questions."

McLean was an aspiring teacher engaged in a teaching internship at West High School that began in August. She was slated to teach English classes until the end of the year for the unpaid post.

After the slaying, however, the University of Tennessee put her on indefinite leave and told her to stay away from West High.

Boatman said Powell was in McLean's class. Powell turned 18 in October and left the school Nov. 20.

"Right now, we're trying to establish a time frame and determine if there was involvement before he turned 18," Boatman said.

Re: Affair Between Student and Married Teacher Leads to Teen's Murder in Tennessee

It's gonna be tough for the husband to get off on those charges. The kid was in his car! It can't be self defense in any way shape or form really!

The wife won't get charged with anything unless they can prove they started the affair before he turned 18. Immoral yes, but I don't believe illegal.

shiki

[quote author=death roe link=topic=5755.msg241293#msg241293 date=1174390280]
    It's gonna be tough for the husband to get off on those charges. The kid was in his car! It can't be self defense in any way shape or form really!

The wife won't get charged with anything unless they can prove they started the affair before he turned 18. Immoral yes, but I don't believe illegal.
    [/quote]

agreed. Its just so lurid. Poor kid. If she started the affair before the child turned 18 then that's one thing but if he was 18 then I don't see how they can charge the wife with anything. I think its fucked tho. I hope she feels like shit. Her actions have led to the ruin of many lives.

Re: Affair Between Student and Married Teacher Leads to Teen's Murder in Tenness

shiki

update:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. —  A teacher accused of having sex with a former student who was shot to death outside her home tried to commit suicide five days later with a drug overdose, Nashville police said.

Nashville's 911 call center was contacted on March 15 by a Knoxville police officer, who said Erin McLean's family there believed she had taken an overdose.

Paramedics and a Nashville officer went to the home where McLean was staying and reported that it appeared she had attempted to commit suicide with prescription drugs, police spokeswoman Kristin Mumford said.

Mumford said McLean was taken to a Nashville hospital and later released.

The teacher's husband, Eric McLean, is charged with murder in the shooting death of 18-year-old Sean Powell outside the McLeans' home March 10. Powell was a former student at West High School in Knoxville, where Erin McLean was a teaching intern.

Eric McLean's relatives say Erin McLean was having a romantic relationship with the teenager.

Thread Information