Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    There are worse addictions to have. But don't buy books, read them from the library (when you finally get time away from the kid).
    I support the library, because I volunteer at the one in my neighborhood. It's been a wonderful experience.

Currently reading two books:

Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
    White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Just finished Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties Tom O'Neill , Dan Piepenbring

It's a long deep dive into the Manson murders. Well, no not really the murders, but everything going on around the "Family" at the time. Up to and including JFK and Ruby and of course sex drugs and rock and roll.

What a long strange trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Would you recommend it? Anything new from all the other Manson books?
    Its strange. If you think of Charlie and his girls and the victims as the doughnut hole... this is the doughnut. You spend a lot of time chasing Terry Melcher and Charlie's parole agent. You spend a lot of time chasing Charlie around San Francisco and points south. It's most definitely NOT a Manson bio. But you learn about the doctor who ran the free clinic... and then there's all the CIA stuff. If you like conspiracy theories and the Warren commission stuff... I gulped it down it 3 days, and I think you'd need to, because there's as many names as in a Russian novel. Lot's of links made that I've never seen made, but is it real? or all smoke and mirrors?

I enjoyed it, but I don't KNOW anything I didn't KNOW before.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

So Hench... is a book about superheros, villains, and the people who work for them. Strangely this deeply odd novel help clarify my feelings about cops. Like Boston I'm not a reflexive "back the blue" person, but the whole 1/6 thing really rocked the world of a lot of people. You can go along, thinking you are the good guy wreaking all the havoc you want, and as long as your people are behind you, you are invincible. Anyway Hench is a fun read, some of you weirdos might enjoy it. I know I did. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49867430-hench

Just finished:

Pure escapist nonsense. But fun.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    So Hench... is a book about superheros, villains, and the people who work for them. Strangely this deeply odd novel help clarify my feelings about cops. Like Boston I'm not a reflexive "back the blue" person, but the whole 1/6 thing really rocked the world of a lot of people. You can go along, thinking you are the good guy wreaking all the havoc you want, and as long as your people are behind you, you are invincible. Anyway Hench is a fun read, some of you weirdos might enjoy it. I know I did. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49867430-hench
    That summary speaks to me I work for a DME company, specifically trying to get insurances to pay for peoples medical equipment, and a lot of my day is full of "oh man, am I the bad guy?", fortunately I do get to help people sometimes. I'm definitely gonna put this on my to-read list!

Red face Caitlin Doughty-A delightfully death-concerned author

So I love Caitlin a lot, she hosts a youtube channel called Ask A Mortician. Thats how I found her originally. Very cool channel, lots of looks into how dead bodies are treated and some famous corpse info too. But anyway, her youtube is how I found her books. She's written 3 books, all of which I own, and all non-fiction. I finished From Here to Eternity, a really lovely book about different death practices around the world. Now I'm reading Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?. Technically a childrens book, but I've thought about the questions answered in this thing one time or another, and it's very nice! Plus there's fun little illustrations I haven't started on Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory yet, but I'm fairly certain I'll love it. She's got a lot of heart in her books, and doesn't shy away from adding her humor into it, which is nice.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RottenBoy View Post
    So I love Caitlin a lot, she hosts a youtube channel called Ask A Mortician. Thats how I found her originally. Very cool channel, lots of looks into how dead bodies are treated and some famous corpse info too. But anyway, her youtube is how I found her books. She's written 3 books, all of which I own, and all non-fiction. I finished From Here to Eternity, a really lovely book about different death practices around the world. Now I'm reading Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?. Technically a childrens book, but I've thought about the questions answered in this thing one time or another, and it's very nice! Plus there's fun little illustrations I haven't started on Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory yet, but I'm fairly certain I'll love it. She's got a lot of heart in her books, and doesn't shy away from adding her humor into it, which is nice.
    Interesting. I have never heard of her before...thanks so much for sharing!!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Interesting. I have never heard of her before...thanks so much for sharing!!
    It's a fun channel. I think I mentioned her before in here. I'm a big YouTube watcher since it's free to stream and there some awesome creators on there. Even A&E puts all of their episodes up there for free.

You should check her out. You'd like her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    It's a fun channel. I think I mentioned her before in here. I'm a big YouTube watcher since it's free to stream and there some awesome creators on there. Even A&E puts all of their episodes up there for free.

You should check her out. You'd like her.
    I will do that!!

Has anyone read Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates? It's a fictionalized account of the ife of Marilyn Monroe and the Netflix show based on it is coming out in September, so I wanted to read it first.

Any opinions? I'm also fascinated by classic Hollywood (think 1900-1960s) so if anyone has any recommendations on books that reflect that era, please send them my way. Especially true Hollywood crime.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

I heard "The Seven Husbands Of Evelyn Hugo" was really good. I have a copy, but I haven't read it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I'm heading to the library later today. I'm looking for new authors and stories that will draw me into them. I tend to read Stephen King type books but I really enjoyed Nina George, Fredrick Backman, and I recently read TC Boyle's 'The Women'.
    I'll take any suggestions!
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

I tend to read crime/cop drama like Connelley, John Sanford, etc. Do you like that type of stuff? I don't typically read the current best seller type books, but Puzz might have some good suggestions.
    I've read Sanford in the past. Connelley never drew me in with his writing. I'm not a best seller kind of reader either. I got caught up in Fredrick Backman long before the movie with Tom Hanks. I own all of Backman's books, I have a couple that are favorites.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    I've read Sanford in the past. Connelley never drew me in with his writing. I'm not a best seller kind of reader either. I got caught up in Fredrick Backman long before the movie with Tom Hanks. I own all of Backman's books, I have a couple that are favorites.
    I love Connelley, he's my favorite followed by Sanford. I've been reading David Baldacci because I can't find anything to read that I really like, but he's only meh in my opinion. I've never read anything by Fredrick Backman, I will have to check him out. I like John Krakauer too. He doesn't have a ton of books but I think all of his are good.

I've read John Krakauer and didn't realize it was his book until I just googled him. I read Into The Wild. I remember being caught up in it and not wanting to put it down. I'll be taking out his other books the next time I go to the library.

I've read John Krakauer and didn't realize it was his book until I just googled him. I read Into The Wild. I remember being caught up in it and not wanting to put it down. I'll be taking out his other books the next time I go to the library.
    Yes, he writes books about things like that, true stories but usually with an adventure slant to them. He wrote Into Thin Air about his own personal story about being on Mt. Everest during the 1996 disaster. It was a fabulous book.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-08-2023 at 08:37 AM.

I just finished The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. I thought it was pretty good. It's kind of a psychological thriller involving marriage, like Gone Girl.

I just finished 'The Last Bookshop In London' by Madeline Martin.
    It was a tough read at first but that's on me because I made it my car book and it's more of a curl up on the couch for uninterrupted periods of time book. It's set in World War II. Not sure what I'll read next. I'm going to venture into the closets later to pick a read. I buy all spring/summer at flea markets and garage sales and line the back of our closets with books. I wish I were exaggerating but I'm not. I own hundreds of books I've yet to read.

I just finished 'The Last Bookshop In London' by Madeline Martin.
    It was a tough read at first but that's on me because I made it my car book and it's more of a curl up on the couch for uninterrupted periods of time book. It's set in World War II. Not sure what I'll read next. I'm going to venture into the closets later to pick a read. I buy all spring/summer at flea markets and garage sales and line the back of our closets with books. I wish I were exaggerating but I'm not. I own hundreds of books I've yet to read.
    I love actual books, but after two back to back moves across the country I had to get rid of all of my books and I never started collecting again (always anticipating the next move). Then the pandemic hit and I got a tablet and I now only check out books online. I didn't think I would like it, but I love it now!

I love actual books, but after two back to back moves across the country I had to get rid of all of my books and I never started collecting again (always anticipating the next move). Then the pandemic hit and I got a tablet and I now only check out books online. I didn't think I would like it, but I love it now!
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't remember the last time I read an actual book. I listen to audiobooks. I browse the net. But books with words on paper, or even a kindle screen? Not so much.

I used to read all the time, now I never do. I have so many books I need to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I just started Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI and find it very interesting.

I bought a couple Preston & Lincoln Child books yesterday. Old Bone & the Scorpions tail. But I also bought a used book that I once owned, read, and loved and must've loaned out because I was looking for it in my stacks of books and couldn't find it. I ran into it yesterday: 'The Little Paris Bookshop' by Nina George.

I bought a couple Preston & Lincoln Child books yesterday. Old Bone & the Scorpions tail. But I also bought a used book that I once owned, read, and loved and must've loaned out because I was looking for it in my stacks of books and couldn't find it. I ran into it yesterday: 'The Little Paris Bookshop' by Nina George.
    That's neat. There are a couple of books like that for me as well. The ones you read and loved so much that you read them over and over again...or just want to maintain a copy to have it.

Thread Information