Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Cool beans. Christmas is coming up, I may see who will buy me one, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

I will always love books, but paperless is a convenience and part of the tech revolution. It's a necessary evil so to speak. I've embraced it and love my iPad mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

I read books on my kindle, my ipad, my phone, and on several different pc's. I still enjoy reading old fashioned paper books too. Best thing about the classic kindle is the battery life. It will carry you through most any storm if yo have it charged up. I find the regular IPad too heavy to hold for a long read. Need a pillow or something to rest it on, but the backlight is nice. The droid is great because I always have it. No getting stuck somewhere without something to read, but I have to wear my glasses if I want to read on it. Worst thing about old style books is the fact that your stuck with the font size they chose, and you miss out on that instant gratification you get when you download an ebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I never thought about size with the old iPad, but now that I see and feel the difference it's amazing. Mini rocks. I have the kindle app, but I've never tried the kindle. I do like the way it looks like an actual page in a book vs. a computer screen. Good point with style preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

I have a Kindle Fire (the "old" one, as it happens now). Mainly bought it to be the "poor man's iPad", and really expected to use it more for games and web surfing in bed and stuff. Then I realized I get to "rent" a book free each month with my Amazon Prime membership, and so I read the hunger Games trilogy.

Had an acquaintance get some novels published, and Amazon had a deal on his books (where he actually got most of the price) so bought those for the Kindle.

Boyfriend and I got into the show Game of Thrones (I had decided to splurge on the premium channels and he wasn't sure until we got into GoT) and so I've been reading that series on the Kindle too. The books are huge, so it's much easier on a person to read the Kindle version.

The other day I decided to play through Final fantasy IX again but couldn't find my guide... all I had to do was find a PDF of it online and send it to myself. ow it's on the Kindle!

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Yeah, I wouldn't use it for games or anything, I'd only just use it for reading. I might make my brother buy me one for Christmas. Wheeeee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

Question: as a reader, what do you think would be a fair price that you would be willing to pay to buy a book by someone unknown? and by that I mean not only unknown just to you, but generally unknown because this is their first book? I'm curious about prices for both kindle/ebook and paperback. Would a book that was priced too cheaply make you wonder about it's quality? or assuming it was not over-priced, would you be willing to pay a decent/commercially competitive price even though it was by an unknown, assuming that the subject matter and description appealed to you?

In case it affects your decision: this would be a book of short stories, historical fiction inspired by true crime.

I pick up free books on my Nook all the time. I have found some gems.

As far as buying an 'unknown' book, I download the sample first before deciding to buy. The sample usually gives me enough to know if A. I am interested at all and B. How much am I willing to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by statro View Post
    Question: as a reader, what do you think would be a fair price that you would be willing to pay to buy a book by someone unknown? and by that I mean not only unknown just to you, but generally unknown because this is their first book? I'm curious about prices for both kindle/ebook and paperback. Would a book that was priced too cheaply make you wonder about it's quality? or assuming it was not over-priced, would you be willing to pay a decent/commercially competitive price even though it was by an unknown, assuming that the subject matter and description appealed to you?

In case it affects your decision: this would be a book of short stories, historical fiction inspired by true crime.
    If it was priced low I would assume it because the author wants to get the work into many hands. If it was not overpriced I'd still buy it if it interested me. I'd give him/her at least one shot.

Of the two, I'd be more inclined to buy an unknown author if it's really cheap.

I love Kindle. I was resistant for a while but after having one for a couple of years I'd hate to be without it. I love having a library that fits in my purse.

I'm currently reading Electric Barracuda by Tim Dorsey. I had a friend turn me on to Dorsey earlier this year when I was in a reading funk and everybody else was on a 12 Shades kick. I. LOVE. Serge. He is the funniest psycho ever. I've got two more books in the series after this one and I'm sad at the thought of it ending.

Loved The Hunger Games. Although we did get it on audio for night work as background noise after I read it the first time and after a while (second or third listen) Katniss did work my nerves with her Memememe-ness. I was known to bust out with a katniiiiiiiiissssssssssss or Peeeeeeeeetaaaah out of the blue in mockery.

I loved 11-22-63. Also a great audio listen. It is one of my fav King books taking second to Duma Key....well and the whole Gunslinger series. Second best 'stand alone' King book

I need to get the hunger games. I keep forgetting to download it.

I posted in the Confessions thread about a book that I am currently reading. I just started reading it, but it is a good read. It's also very cheap, $2.99. It may have already been posted in here, but if so and you haven't bought it yet, BUY IT! Recommend it to your friends and family. It was written by a friend's mom. I don't want to place names in a public forum, but the friend is a great person and breeds adorable children. Her mom is also the cutest! Buy it!

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Chaos-di...ds=Quiet+Chaos

Karen is a friend of mine. Read her book, it's free!
    Hey, everybody, I'm trying a new marketing experiment. My most recent book, THROUGH DARK SPACES, set in the hard rock gold mining industry here in western South Dakota, is FREE for Kindle until Thursday at midnight! If you have an iPad, you can download the Kindle app and read it that way.

Why, you ask, would an author offer her work for free? Because, in terms of amazon.com sales, much depends on who actually "sees" the book. There are so many books out there that, unless you can find a way to put your work in front of readers, you have little chance of being read. This is one not so subtle way to do that. So please share with all your friends across the country. I'd love for them to check out the book! You can find it at http://tinyurl.com/78dqns3.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Senior Member Sneakers the Wonder Dog's Avatar
    If I told you then I'd have to find a new place to hide
    Has anyone read any of the Charlie Parker series from John Connolly? Almost finished reading Wrath of Angels, it's a great read.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic83661_1.gif

Hey everybody! I am a huge book lover. I had so many books that I could have furnish a whole library.

Out of all the books I've read in my life, "dirty white boys" is hand down...IMO...the best book ever.

I also have tons of Buffy the vampire slayer comics.

Let me know what you are reading and what your favorite book is.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Hey everybody! I am a huge book lover. I had so many books that I could have furnish a whole library.

Out of all the books I've read in my life, "dirty white boys" is hand down...IMO...the best book ever.

I also have tons of Buffy the vampire slayer comics.

Let me know what you are reading and what your favorite book is.
    Have you read any of Gillian Flynn's books? Gone girl and sharp objects were good. I have life after life cued up on my kindle

I can't single out a favorite as I have read too many in 65 years. I did love gone with the wind and the stand by Stephen King)

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" .. Confucius
    "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation " ...... Henry David Thoreau

My favorite Stephen king book was "the long walk"

I also really loved Anne rice's the witching hour.

I will check out flynn's book next. I haven't read any that I know of.

Romance- Susan Elizabeth Phillips or Johanna Lindsey.

I'm not wearing any pants
    I really want to get the witching hour. LOVE Anne Rice and Stephen King...two of my favs.
    I started reading Rob Lowes book but have not started it back up yet. I got the host as a gift so i may start on that.
    I was also going to borrow one my friend has called Proof of heaven. About a neurosurgeon who ends up comatose and experiences heaven.

Read V.E. Schwab's Vicious.

I loved it.

Love them both, berm!! ^^

I read a lot. I have a Nook and some of the books you can share for 2 weeks with another Nook user. Let me know if anyone is interested in this and I will list the "Lend Me" books I have.

I just bought the new Stephen King novel - "Dr. Sleep" which is the sequel to "The Shining". I probably will start on it tonight or tomorrow.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Read "Gone Girl" by Flynn...I second Bella! Movie is filming in Cape Girardeau MO NOW!

I used to read both Lindsey and SEP, haven't read either in a while, will need to pick some of their stuff up.. I also love Jennifer Crusie. She has a pair of books: Welcome to temptation, and Faking it that are great.

Love them both, berm!! ^^

I read a lot. I have a Nook and some of the books you can share for 2 weeks with another Nook user. Let me know if anyone is interested in this and I will list the "Lend Me" books I have.

I just bought the new Stephen King novel - "Dr. Sleep" which is the sequel to "The Shining". I probably will start on it tonight or tomorrow.
    Please let me know what you thought of the Stephen King book. I almost bought it the other day, but decided to wait.

I just got finished with all the Mortal Instrument books. I guess it's classified as a teen series, but it was okay. After the 3rd, I started to get bored.
    I'm probably the biggest critic with books. I think when you read so many books over your lifetime you tend to be very harsh with books.
    I'm also a fast reader. I blame book reading for that. It's a useful skill.

I hate books that don't put somewhere on the title what book # it is in the series.

Has anybody here every bought a book...get home and start reading it and 1 page into it you figure out you have already read it? I do that often.

I don't have a nook or kindle yet. I still love the feel of a paperback in my hands. Maybe I will ask for one for christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahric13 View Post
    Read "Gone Girl" by Flynn...I second Bella! Movie is filming in Cape Girardeau MO NOW!
    I loved "Gone Girl" too! & Cape is not far from where I live.

I don't have a nook or kindle yet. I still love the feel of a paperback in my hands. Maybe I will ask for one for christmas.
    You can download a kindle (probably nook too) app for your PC, tablet or smart phone. Lots of free books to try out and see if you like it. I love the ability to read on my smart phone... get hung up at the doctor? waiting for someone? I've always got a book. Now my eyesight is lousy, so I thought I'd have trouble reading on the tiny screen, but you've got enough control of font size it's really doable.

I still love real books, but being able to head to a long appt. and not worry about finishing the book I have with me is great.

Thread Information