Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tarren View Post
    Watchers by Koontz is still one of my fave books Leap and reminds me of you. :D

I've decided to leave the sequel to Liquid Fear and read something else. Maybe 11.22.63 by Stephen King. I can't make up my mind.
    lol why does it remind you of me?

I don't know hahahah. I thought you'd read it and liked it?

I decided to read Torment: A Novel Of Dark Terror and I'm really enjoying it so far.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

I'm not proud to admit this, but I'm reading Tyra Banks' Modelland. It's horrible. Terrible. Insipid. But strangely compelling.

I don't know hahahah. I thought you'd read it and liked it?

I decided to read Torment: A Novel Of Dark Terror and I'm really enjoying it so far.
    I did. Didn't you lend it to me? It's the one with the weird dog right?

I received a new book from Amazon to review this morning. It's called The Return Man by VM Zito. It's an end of the world/zombie book apparently. Here's the synopsis

"The outbreak tore the USA in two. The east remains a safe haven. The west has become a ravaged wilderness. They call it the Evacuated States.
    It is here that Henry Marco makes his living. Hired by grieving relatives, he tracks down the dead to deliver peace.

Now Homeland Security wants Marco, for a mission unlike any other. He must return to California, where the apocalypse began. Where a secret is hidden. And where his own tragic past waits to punish him again.
    But in the wastelands of America, you never know who - or what - is watching you . . ."

It sounds pretty good and I love zombie/end of the world books and films.

I think I may have Leap. Yep, it's got the creatures in it who escape from the laboratory. Einstein

That book you mentioned sounds interesting, I love those kind of books and that genre.

I finished Torment and I'm now reading Desert Places: A Novel Of Terror.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

I'm on a Steampunk kick and reading Cherie Priest's The Clockwork Century series. It takes place in the US but the Civil War hasn't ended.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post
    I received a new book from Amazon to review this morning. It's called The Return Man by VM Zito. It's an end of the world/zombie book apparently. Here's the synopsis

"The outbreak tore the USA in two. The east remains a safe haven. The west has become a ravaged wilderness. They call it the Evacuated States.
    It is here that Henry Marco makes his living. Hired by grieving relatives, he tracks down the dead to deliver peace.

Now Homeland Security wants Marco, for a mission unlike any other. He must return to California, where the apocalypse began. Where a secret is hidden. And where his own tragic past waits to punish him again.
    But in the wastelands of America, you never know who - or what - is watching you . . ."

It sounds pretty good and I love zombie/end of the world books and films.

This one sounds really good. i would like to hear your review. I am so addicted to zombie apocalypse stories. I read so much, that I never remember titles or authors...

Here is a new Kindle freebie on Personal Transformation called, "The Greatest Book of All Time: Personal Transformation Experience to Accomplish Everything on Your Bucket List" by Clint Arthur It seems like an easy read with some nice activities to help with self esteem/love.

When I was reading a hardback book recently, I caught myself tapping the corner of the page and wondered why it wouldn't turn?

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Watchers by Koontz is still one of my fave books Leap and reminds me of you. :D

I've decided to leave the sequel to Liquid Fear and read something else. Maybe 11.22.63 by Stephen King. I can't make up my mind.
    Reading 11/22/63. It's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Hey everyone!
    I have read so much more since i got a kindle for Christmas. I totally poo-poo'd them before but waiting rooms/trains/sneaky lazy days at work have been transformed by this beauty hahaha.

Some of my fave free reads have been a holocaust diary http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Holocau.../dp/1414325460

A look at Broadmoor in Victorian Times http://www.amazon.com/Broadmoor-Reve...8918481&sr=1-1

And my fave one i have brought (so far have only brought cheapies) Diary of An On Call Girl http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Call-Gir...8918551&sr=1-1

Any freebies not in the top 100 i should look out for?

I still haven't read Mechanique. Instead I've been reading The Clockwork Century series by Cherie Priest. It's steampunk alternate history. In this case, the Civil War hasn't ended (and it's the late 19th century) and a gas that zombifies people has afflicted Seattle following an earthquake. The main protagonists are always strong women and there's no romance. They're fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayalet View Post
    Hey everyone!
    I have read so much more since i got a kindle for Christmas. I totally poo-poo'd them before but waiting rooms/trains/sneaky lazy days at work have been transformed by this beauty hahaha.

Some of my fave free reads have been a holocaust diary http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Holocau.../dp/1414325460

A look at Broadmoor in Victorian Times http://www.amazon.com/Broadmoor-Reve...8918481&sr=1-1

And my fave one i have brought (so far have only brought cheapies) Diary of An On Call Girl http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Call-Gir...8918551&sr=1-1

Any freebies not in the top 100 i should look out for?
    I love my Kindle. I've read tons of books on it, mostly cheap and free from their list.

I downloaded the Broadmoor book, looks really interesting.

I was looking through their sci fi freebies last night and got a few.

I'm currently reading The World House by Guy Adams which was like 3 quid and is really good so far, and reminds me a bit of Jumanji.

I've stopped reading. I've lost it.. help me get it back...

I finally got around to reading Mechanique. And, quite frankly, it's a fucked up little circus tale to be sure.
    Now I'm read The Alchemist and Ganymede (book four of The Clockwork Century).

I so loved the season ending to, "A Game of Thrones", that I have discovered the books by George R.R. Martin. It is his series called, "A Song of Fire and Ice". Book 2 is called, "A Clash of Kings".

The story is given from the different characters viewpoints throughout. It works well with the pace. My favorite is character is....
    The story of Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen and another claimant to the Iron Throne, is pretty much separated until more POV characters join her in A Dance with Dragons. Living in exile on the continent of Essos, Daenerys's adventures showcase her growing ability as she rises from a pauper sold into a dynastic marriage to a barbarian warlord to a powerful and canny ruler in her own right. Her rise is aided by the birth of three dragons, creatures thought long extinct, from fossilized eggs given to her as wedding gifts. Because her family standard is the dragon, these creatures are of symbolic value before they have grown big enough to be of tactical use for her stated goal to reclaim the Iron Throne.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_...#Plot_synopsis

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by FloobaToob View Post
    I've stopped reading. I've lost it.. help me get it back...
    The Night Circus rejuvenated me last year when I went through a lull.
    Keeping with the circus theme, there's also the hilarious Johann Cabal The Necromancer and the very odd Mechanique.
    If you want to get angry read When She Woke.
    For just fun characters and plots, I recommend Cherie Priest's The Clockwork Century (Boneshaker, Clementine, Dreadnought, and Ganymede).
    If you're looking for celebrity insanity, read Tyra Banks' Modelland. Seriously, she's freaking nuts.
    My mom's really getting into Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series. It's like Syfy's Lost Girl but better. And she says it's way better than the Anita Blake series.

Tyra Banks scares me, can't lie.

If I didn't know she "wrote" Modelland, I'd think it was a wonderful piece of surrealistic satire. But knowing she "wrote" it just makes it bad and bizarre and yet, I couldn't put the damn thing down.

Anyone here read Hunger Games? I just got it and can't wait to start it. I've heard great things, but I've also heard it's really hard to put down. Tons of deadlines plus no self-control means I should probably wait. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Anyone here read Hunger Games? I just got it and can't wait to start it. I've heard great things, but I've also heard it's really hard to put down. Tons of deadlines plus no self-control means I should probably wait. :(
    I read the series. It was good, but I hated Catniss by the end. Others here have also read it and they had different reactions.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    I read the three books in like 2 days. Katniss is kind of annoying but not very...the rest of the books are decently entertaining. I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out to see just how much alike/screwed up the books are.

I'm in the middle of reading "The Wolf Gift" by Anne Rice. I'm a little torn.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I've heard good things about Hunger Games and want to read it.

I'm about halfway through The Return Man and enjoying it. I think anyone who likes zombies and end of the world stories would like this book. Mine is an uncorrected proof which I always find distracting and harder to read than published books so it seems to be taking forever to read. I don't think it's published until March.

I'm reading Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi.

Alright. I think I'll have to just demonstrate self control. Can't wait to start it. :/

*CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR STEPHEN KING'S 11/22/63*
    Also, can this message board do spoiler coverups?

This has been said too many times now for my opinion to seem anything other than parroting, but I was kind of disappointed by how much The Hunger Games seemed to parrot Battle Royale. I get King's point that there have been a lot of other forced fightings. Running Man, etc. This was just too similar. Maybe because both forced the youth to fight. I just thought it was way copycat. But I'm open for convincing. Maybe she'd truly never read/watched Battle Royale. There were some differences.

Also, I didn't get annoyed at Katniss, but maybe I will with the rest of the series.

Regardless, I dug the kid-friendly, Americanized Battle Royale. I guess.

Other books I'm reading:
    God, No! by Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller. I disagree with a lot of what he says, but I am intrigued with a good share of the atheism, pseudoscience, and skepticism stuff. Plus their illusion act is cool.
    American Gods I love it, but then I got stuck at a certain, non-riveting part of the book.

Oh, I enjoyed 11/22/63, but had quite a few disappointments:
    - Wish the apocalyptic part would have lasted longer
    - Felt like everything that changed by going back in time was a copout by just saying all of the elaborate "strings" caused problems vs an intriguing Butterfly Effect. Was he attempting to string theory?
    - Also I think introducing characters from one of his greatest books (It) didn't help. Once I got to that part, my expectations were set fairly high. It was cool, but I was expecting.

Thread Information