Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by emmy_dreamy View Post
    This! This is the reason I won't use e-text books. I can't learn and absorb the same from them as I can with paper. Somehow highlighting with a highlighter is different from mousing over to highlight text on a computer.
    I actually have to write it out in my own crappy handwriting, even. I just find it easier to keep track of.

Apparently Amazon collects and stores things people highlight in Kindle books.

Not too sure that's a good thing, especially if you're reading a Mills and Boon and highlighting stuff.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post
    But Tarren, that would involve getting out of bed or sitting up and turning it off. Wait a minute, you might be right and I could just get the, "Clapper" to go with it!
    Mines on a table at the side of the bed, I have a reading light that clips on but I never use it. I read books on my Kindle like I would a paper book.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Phoenix Rising was a fun steampunk-esque detective romp. Clearly, the authors mean for it to be a series as they left two plot lines wide open.
    The Night Circus was very good, if a little too familiar following in the steps of The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and Johann Cabal: Necromancer.
    When She Woke is very difficult to read (but I did) because it's sent in a super conservative, super Christian, super anti-women, anti-free thought world.
    Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders (aka A Death of No Importance) was very disappointing.
    Now I'm reading the sequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Dreadfully Ever After. It's good, thus far.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    I recently finished "The Story of Beautiful Girl" by Rachel Simon. It was wonderful.
    Synopsis if anyone is interested:
    It is 1968. Lynnie, a young white woman with a developmental disability, and Homan, an African American deaf man, are locked away in an institution, the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded, and have been left to languish, forgotten. Deeply in love, they escape, and find refuge in the farmhouse of Martha, a retired schoolteacher and widow. But the couple is not alone-Lynnie has just given birth to a baby girl. When the authorities catch up to them that same night, Homan escapes into the darkness, and Lynnie is caught. But before she is forced back into the institution, she whispers two words to Martha: "Hide her." And so begins the 40-year epic journey of Lynnie, Homan, Martha, and baby Julia-lives divided by seemingly insurmountable obstacles, yet drawn together by a secret pact and extraordinary love.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Jen I really liked The Night Circus but I felt the ending let it down a bit.

I've had to give up on the Turn Of The Screw. I'll retry at a later date as I loved Florence and Giles. Really loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarren View Post
    Jen I really liked The Night Circus but I felt the ending let it down a bit.

I've had to give up on the Turn Of The Screw. I'll retry at a later date as I loved Florence and Giles. Really loved it.
    I felt like the ending of the Night Circus was written for cinema rather than a novel. It seemed like a cop-out.

I agree. Totally.

I also thought the ending of Florence and Giles was a huge let down as the rest of the book was so good. I still loved the book though.

I should be finished with Ready Player One today although I should have finished this ages ago. I've found it hard to read a lot of it at a time. I love the references to 80s pop culture but sometimes feel like they're every other sentence.

Ready Player One did get a bit tedious at points and I'm interested to see your reaction to that ending.

I'm at the bit where it's all gone 1984 and I'm not sure I like the way it's going. I was kind of liking the quest as it was. Should be finished later.

I finished Ready Player One and I liked it. It was a fun read albeit tedious in parts. Jen I thought the ending was ok but not my preferred choice. A bit too "safe" for my liking.

I've also just finished The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley. It was a ghost story which I gather was aimed at YA readers but I enjoyed it as an easy read.

Not sure what to read next.

Since it's been awhile since the old thread was active, here's a list of what I've read in the past few months:

Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson
    The Russian Debutante's Handbook by Gary Shteyngart
    Reality Bites Back: How Guilty Pleasure TV is Making Us Sexist, Shallow, and Socially Irresponsible by Jennifer Ponzer
    Worm: The First Digital World War by Mark Bowden
    Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter by Tom Bissel
    The Church of Scientology: The History of a New Religion by Hugh B Urban
    The Art of the Video Game by Josh Jenisch
    The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell
    Killing Time by Caleb Carr

I'm also looking for something good to read so I'm going to cruise some best of 2011 lists for good science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by jeneria View Post
    \
    I'm also looking for something good to read so I'm going to cruise some best of 2011 lists for good science fiction.
    Have you read any John Scalzi? I like Agent to the Stars, The Androids Dream, and Fuzzy Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Have you read any John Scalzi? I like Agent to the Stars, The Androids Dream, and Fuzzy Nation.
    I haven't. But I'm going to go check those out right now! Thanks!

Electronic books are inevitable. Just like CD's. Some titles are already only available digitally. Bye bye bookstores. Bye bye Tower Records. It's kind of amazing, really. I'm not all that old, yet I've seen music stores and book stores rendered obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Jen, I was looking at Containment by Christian Cantrell and it looks interesting. Here's the bumpf from Amazon.

Product Description

Product Description

As Earth's ability to support human life begins to diminish at an alarming rate, the Global Space Agency is formed with a single mandate: protect humanity from extinction by colonizing the solar system as quickly as possible. Venus, being almost the same mass as Earth, is chosen over Mars as humanity’s first permanent steppingstone into the universe.

Arik Ockley is part of the first generation to be born and raised off-Earth. After a puzzling accident, Arik wakes up to find that his wife is almost three months pregnant. Since the colony’s environmental systems cannot safely support any increases in population, Arik immediately resumes his work on AP, or artificial photosynthesis, in order to save the life of his unborn child. Arik’s new and frantic research uncovers startling truths about the planet, and about the distorted reality the founders of the colony have constructed for Arik’s entire generation. Everything Arik has ever known is called into question, and he must figure out the right path for himself, his wife, and his unborn daughter.

Not many reviews on it, but it's cheap. I don't know if it's available to you though.

I'm going to start Seed by Ania Ahlborn which was a freebie from the Kindle store.

I'm going to start Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti. I loaded it and about 63 other books onto my Kindle yesterday (mostly Linda K Hamilton and science fiction) including John Scalzi.

I'm reading Liquid Fear by Scott Nicholson and it's pretty good so far.

Instead of reading Mecanique, I decided to read Machine Man by Max Berry. It's a story about a man who wants to become transhuman and subjects himself to horrible amputations in order to build new metal limbs for himself. It's really disturbing. I'm going to teach it next quarter in my science fiction class (along with The Diamond Age, Robopocalypse, and Vurt).

That sounds interesting Jen. I like disturbing

Jen what was the name of that book with the wasps? Can you remember??

Sensation.

Cheers Jen.

I finished Liquid Fear. I might start the sequel later.

I just finished One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz. It was good and normally I love Koontz books but it did seem to drag. I started skim reading pages because he just appeared to ramble on and on.

I'm now starting Fever of the Bone by Val McDermid. It's part of her Wire in the Blood series. I've never seen the tv programme but my mum convinced me to read the books and they've been quite good so far.

Watchers by Koontz is still one of my fave books Leap and reminds me of you. :D

I've decided to leave the sequel to Liquid Fear and read something else. Maybe 11.22.63 by Stephen King. I can't make up my mind.

Thread Information