Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

The Book Thread

Hey everyone! I hope you are all well!

I got a Kindle a little while ago. It's the one without the keyboard and I love it. I find the price of books is pretty cheap and I love reading from it. Now I know why you Kindle owners all love them so!
    I've downloaded a few cheap horror stories from the Kindle store and have been getting my reading mojo back finally.

Hope you all had a good xmas!

ETA: 12 books read so far this year.
    Last edited by Tarren; 02-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

It might help if I added what I've been reading

I'm reading The Turn Of The Screw after reading a book loosely based on it called Florence and Giles which I got from the Kindle store. I'm actually finding it hard going at the moment but will persevere.
    Last edited by Tarren; 12-27-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

my fire won't let me post

I think you just posted.

I want to read Liquid Fear and Chronic Fear by Scott Nicholson.

II am on my phone now. Finished The Night Circus. Finished Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders. Not good. Reading When She Woke and Phoenix Rising.

What did you think of The Night Circus? I liked it but wasn't overly happy with the ending. When She Woke looks interesting.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    I just read the Vampire Journals by Morgan Rice. There are 7 thus far in the series and I read them in less than a week. They were not Twilighty.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

I did not like The Turning of The Screw. I had to read it for a Tales of Terror class. I'm currently sloooooowly making my way through George RR Martin's Clash of Kings.

I'm not enjoying it. I can't seem to get into it at all. I'm finding it almost impossible to get into. :(

Taarreeeeeennnn.

I got a Kindle for Christmas, but I' trying to finish a couple of books I got for Christmas before I get into it. I'm mostly enjoying going download crazy. Have you got anything to recommend?

I'm reading You Belong to Me by Karen Rose. Easy read from my Momma! Huzzah.

Before the crash I was trying to read Room, but I couldn't get into it. I shall try again!

Hey Flooba!

What do you like? I usually go to the Kindle store and find books I've read then do the "people who bought this also bought" thing and choose from there. I only really download from the Kindle store now as I can't get Calibre to work properly on my laptop. I only really use my Kindle for reading these days as I find it's better for my eyes than my other reader.

There are tons of cheap and free books there.

I've read a few by Karen Rose in the past.

Has anyone read the story of the guy who cut off his own arm? I want to read it, is it any good? I can't remember what it was called.

ETA I found it by googling "guy who cut off his own arm"
    Last edited by Tarren; 12-28-2011 at 04:56 AM.

127 Hours?

My husband got me a touch screen nook for Christmas. His ulterior motive was to steal my old one, but I'm fine with that!

I'm reading After the End. Another zombie apocalypse story. Finishing Game of Thrones is next on my list!

I tried reading the latest not so ghost written Tom Clancy book and it's closer to the originals but sounds too much like a bad cover song.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyyyMan View Post
    127 Hours?
    Yes, that's the one.

I finished Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell last night. I am still pleased that even though there are now 18 books in the series, I'm still not bored with it.

I just bought a few books from the Kindle store.

Liquid Fear and also Chronic Fear by Scott Nichlolson.

Mrs McGilvery by Colin Dobson

Torment: A Novel Of Dark Horror by Jeremy Bishop

And a freebie, Desert Places by Blake Crouch.

There are good and bad things from the wonderful world of kindle. Like finding a great new indie author, but, who needs an editor very badly.

My charger died on me and I found myself reading a hardback copy of "I Slept With Joey Ramone" while holding a flashlight in bed at night. It just wasn't the same.

*I have the Cruz Reader and use the Kindle App.

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post
    There are good and bad things from the wonderful world of kindle. Like finding a great new indie author, but, who needs an editor very badly.

My charger died on me and I found myself reading a hardback copy of "I Slept With Joey Ramone" while holding a flashlight in bed at night. It just wasn't the same.

This is quite possibly the most depressing thing I've ever read. I will always prefer the real thing to a digital, I just think digital is convenient for transport.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post

I have this awesome thing that would alleviate your problem. A lamp.

And yeah Bowie, I prefer actual books. But for space and transport Kindle rocks it. I have to say my kindle is pretty much as easy on my old tired eyes as a paper book.
    I think the page turn buttons aren't made for my hands though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarren View Post
    And yeah Bowie, I prefer actual books. But for space and transport Kindle rocks it. I have to say my kindle is pretty much as easy on my old tired eyes as a paper book.
    I think the page turn buttons aren't made for my hands though.
    That's exactly why I bought one for my mom: because she travels a lot. And I wish I had one around too because I am reading a huge book and it would be much easier to travel with that.

But in my home, solid is the way. I take a lot of notes from nonfiction stuff for my own work and I find it impossible to look at that and ingest it from a computer the same as I would from a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarren View Post
    I have this awesome thing that would alleviate your problem. A lamp.
    But Tarren, that would involve getting out of bed or sitting up and turning it off. Wait a minute, you might be right and I could just get the, "Clapper" to go with it!

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    That's exactly why I bought one for my mom: because she travels a lot. And I wish I had one around too because I am reading a huge book and it would be much easier to travel with that.

But in my home, solid is the way. I take a lot of notes from nonfiction stuff for my own work and I find it impossible to look at that and ingest it from a computer the same as I would from a book.
    This! This is the reason I won't use e-text books. I can't learn and absorb the same from them as I can with paper. Somehow highlighting with a highlighter is different from mousing over to highlight text on a computer.

Thread Information