Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Orange County Ca homeless being targeted by serial killer

Orange County Ca homeless being targeted by serial killer

James MacGillivray, 53, Paulus Smit, 57, and Lloyd Middaugh, 42

ORANGE COUNTY, Calif. (KTLA) -- Police in Orange County are warning the local homeless population that a serial killer is targeting them, after three similar murders in a two-week period

All three victims were stabbed to death, and each crime scene was extremely gruesome, authorities said.

The first murder happened on Dec. 21 in Placentia. Officers found James McGillivray, 53, dead from multiple stab wounds outside a shopping center in the 100 block of North Bradford Avenue.

"They just kill[ed] him like an animal, or something like that," hair salon owner Henry Portillo said.

Police found Lloyd Middaugh, 42, Dec. 28. He was stabbed to death on the riverbed trail near Tustin Avenue in Anaheim.

The body of Paulus Cornelius Smit, 57, was found Dec. 30 in the 18100 block of Imperial Highway in Yorba Linda, near the Yorba Linda Library.

Antoinette Smit, Paulus' mother told KTLA that she saw her son, two weeks ago at a family reunion. He called her a few days later to wish her a merry Christmas.

"That was the last time that I spoke with him," Antoinette Smit said.

Detectives in Anaheim, Brea and Placentia held a news conference Wednesday saying the killings are connected. Brea police patrol Yorba Linda.

Orange County law enforcement agencies and the FBI have formed a task force to catch the killer.

Authorities are now handing out fliers to alert the local homeless population.

Police have surveillance video from the murder scene in Placentia.

The video depicts the last moments of McGillivray's life.

In the part of the video released to the media, the killer approaches McGillivray as he sleeps on the sidewalk.

Authorities say the man then brutally stabbed McGillivray until he stopped moving, and the surveillance camera caught the entire vicious attack.

Shortly after the attack, the surveillance footage shows a 2000 to 2003 white Toyota Corolla. Police believe the car belongs to the serial killer.

The suspect is described as a man dressed in black and in his 20s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a thin build.

Anyone with information, or who sees any suspicious activity should contact Anaheim police at 714-765-1944.

not a great photo, but this is from the surveillance video.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

This story makes me so sad.
    With all the horrible things they have to deal with, add a serial killer on top

Must be out of hookers.

The worst part is that it's not even like another homeless person who has turned homicidal and is beating up/robbing/killing other homeless folks.

Instead, this is a shrewd serial killer who's only goal is to make homeless people dead and get away with it.

But if they got his Corolla, it's only a matter of time before they track him down. It's not like this was a fill and flee crime at a gas station or something, this is a serial murder investigation! Every Corolla owner in that area will eventually be looked at by the FBI.
    I wear caps with flat brims and sunglasses with white frames. I...DROOL...

He has possibly struck again:

The body of a middle-aged homeless man was discovered early Monday behind an audio and tire shop by an employee opening for business, and detectives are investigating whether the death is tied to a string of fatal stabbings believed to be the work of a serial killer preying on homeless men.
    The shop where the body was found is about a quarter-mile from the Santa Ana River, where transients are known to frequent.

The discovery was made just after 9 a.m. when a worker spotted the body lying near the right passenger door of a brown truck that locals said the victim was known to sleep in, said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Investigators had covered the truck with a large sheet Monday afternoon while waiting for a coroner's official to arrive.

Bertagna said there were no obvious signs of trauma, but there was a large amount of blood in the truck. The other victims linked to the killer all died of stab wounds.

"Obviously, for us this is just like any other investigation," Bertagna said. "It's no different than any other homicide."
    Santa Ana police have been in contact with a joint task force created last week in response to the killings of homeless men in neighboring cities. Police said they believe the slayings are probably the work of one person.

The killings began shortly before Christmas.

Santa Ana police said they are still trying to determine the nature of the latest man's death and said it's too early to connect it to the others.

"We are trying to determine whether this is a homicide or a death by natural causes," said Cpl. Jim Rose.

The body was found near 1st Street and Harbor Boulevard.
    Across the county, at the urging of authorities, many of the homeless are seeking beds at emergency shelters, or making sure to sleep in groups outdoors, and taking pains to make themselves less conspicuous on the streets and in riverbeds.

Each of the three homeless stabbing victims, authorities say, was alone when attacked. James Patrick McGillivray, 53, was killed near a shopping center in Placentia on Dec. 20; Lloyd Middaugh, 42, was found near a riverbed trail in Anaheim on Dec. 28; and Paulus Smit, 57, was found outside a Yorba Linda library Dec. 30.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ess-death.html

Placenta can be a rough place.

Police in Southern California said Saturday they believe a man in their custody is responsible for all four recent killings of homeless men in Orange County.

Anaheim police said at a news conference that investigators have tied 23-year-old Itzcoatl Ocampo of Yorba Linda to the killings.

Ocampo was detained Friday night after a fourth homeless man was found slain in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45995726.../#.TxIiuPlW1ac
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Police in Southern California said Saturday they believe a man in their custody is responsible for all four recent killings of homeless men in Orange County.

Anaheim police said at a news conference that investigators have tied 23-year-old Itzcoatl Ocampo of Yorba Linda to the killings.

Ocampo was detained Friday night after a fourth homeless man was found slain in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45995726.../#.TxIiuPlW1ac
    I hope they have the right person. This story has made me so sad. People forget that the homeless population is filled with individuals that have severe emotional and mental problems. They are the most vulnerable.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Great news! I hope its the right guy.
    Like tfd said, the homeless are so vulnerable

Orange County prosecutors could seek the death penalty against an Iraq war veteran suspected in the stabbing deaths of four homeless men since Dec. 20.

Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, of Yorba Linda, was being held Sunday without bail on a murder charge in the Orange County Jail, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s online inmate information site.

He is expected in court on Wednesday, records show.

Police arrested Ocampo on Friday after the fatal stabbing attack of a homeless man behind an Anaheim Carl's Jr. at 3110 E. La Palma Ave.

Police say the drama was seen by more than two dozen witnesses who chased the suspect, saw him shed clothes and directed police to him, said Anaheim police Sgt. Bob Dunn, a spokesman.

“Unfortunately somebody died, another homeless man lost his life, but witnesses being there really did allow us to capture a murderer,” Dunn said.

During a Saturday afternoon press conference, police said they believe Ocampo is the same person responsible for a month-long string of transient slayings in Orange County. The stabbings set a community on edge and prompted a local and federal police task force to track down a serial killer.

Police connected Ocampo to the stabbings of James McGillivray, 53, in Placentia on Dec. 20; Lloyd Middaugh, 42, in Anaheim on Dec. 28; and Paulus Cornelius Smit, 57, in Yorba Linda on Dec. 30.

Surveillance video taken prior to McGillivray's slaying in Placentia showed a male wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt.

“We are extremely confident that we have the man who is responsible for all four murders of homeless men in Orange County,'' Anaheim police Chief John Welter said Saturday.

The fourth killing left a homeless man who went by the name John dead near the spot he frequented daily. Local residents on Saturday paid a moving tribute to John, believed to be a Vietnam War veteran.

Media reports identified him as John Berry, but authorities have not officially identified him as they are still trying to contact family members, Dunn said.

Ocampo was a 2006 graduate of Esparanza High School, according to media reports. He was believed to have been a U.S. Marine who fought in Iraq.

High school friend Brian Doyle told the Los Angeles Times that Ocampo had been kicked out the military. A Marine Corps spokesman did not return calls to The Times, seeking his service records.

Ocampo's first name is Nahautl for obsidian serpent, the name of the fourth Aztec emperor, who reigned from 1428-1440.

An uncle, Ifrain Gonzalez, told The Times that Ocampo came home from the war in 2010 with some mental illness issues. He had been living with two siblings in a home that Anaheim police searched after his arrest.

Police would not confirm his background.

“It may play into our investigation,” Dunn said. “We’re not ready to talk about it just yet.”

Investigators, meanwhile, continue to probe the homeless killings. Police want to find the owner of a white, four-door 2000 to 2003 Toyota Corolla that was seen in the surveillance video. They don’t believe the person is a suspect, but still would like to question him or her about the car, Dunn said.

“There are leads follow up on,” Dunn said.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...137380083.html
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

These have to be the most pointless murders ever.
    I hope this guy gets his teeth kicked in

Yeah if you slaughter a family at least it frees up some housing.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    These have to be the most pointless murders ever.
    I hope this guy gets his teeth kicked in
    Why, so we can pay for him to get new ones the way the state replaced Richard Ramirez's after a vigilante crowd jumped him?

'He was sick': Suspected serial killer quizzed by police over deaths of four homeless men was 'seeing and hearing things' after serving in Iraq

The man police are 'extremely confident' is responsible for the murders of four homeless men is an Iraq war veteran who is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after combat, family members have said.

Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, of Yorba Linda, was arrested on Friday after the body of a fourth man was found stabbed to death. It was the fourth in Orange County since mid- December.

An uncle of the young man told the LA Times that he had been seeing and hearing things ever since he came back from serving in Iraq.

'When he came back from Iraq, he was sick,' said Ifrain Gonzalez.

Gonzalez told the paper Ocampo was born in Mexico and moved to California with his family when he was one-years-old.

Friends of Ocampo also said he had been thrown out of the military, though this has not been confirmed.

Ocampo was chased down by a group of bystanders on Friday night after he allegedly stabbed his latest victim - who was described by friends as a Vietnam War veteran in his 60s named John - in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant.

On Saturday, mourners wept and placed flowers at the scene of death of this death.

Three other homeless men have been found stabbed to death in north Orange County since mid-December, and a task force of police officers, sheriff's deputies and FBI agents had been looking for the single suspect they believed was responsible for all three.

'We are extremely confident that we have the man that is responsible for the murders of all four homeless men in Orange County,' Welter said.

He was found between 8pm and 9pm Friday in a Carl's Jr. parking lot at the intersection of La Palma Avenue and Imperial Highway in Anaheim, police said.

Marilyn Holland, an Anaheim resident who befriended the victim and regularly brought him oatmeal raisin cookies, said he was uncharacteristically nervous since police warned him to stay vigilant in the days after the killings began.

'He told me he thought he was being followed,' Holland said.

'I told him after pay day I was going to get him a cellphone, so he could call 911 if anything happened. Normally he would refuse help but he was willing to accept the phone because he was scared.'

Holland was paid Friday but didn't get the chance to get the phone to her friend.

Several witnesses reported an assault in progress, and officers arrived to find the homeless man dead near a trash bin in the restaurant parking lot.

Witnesses followed a man who ran from the lot and led police to him, Anaheim police Sgt. Bob Dunn said.

'We were having dinner in the area and saw about 40 police cars scream into the parking lot. I ran over and hugged my friend, screaming, "Please tell me it's not John!" But it was,' Holland said, fighting back tears.

Police set up a large containment area at the crime scene in a search for the killer and scoured nearby neighborhoods, including a mobile home park, Dunn said.

A police bloodhound traced the scent from Ocampo's belongings back to the scene where the attack occurred, about 10 miles northeast of the Disneyland Resort, authorities said.

Ocampo was being held without bail on suspicion of murder, Dunn said.

A task force of law enforcement officers from Anaheim, Placentia, Brea, the Orange County Sheriff's Department and the FBI had been formed to investigate the killings of the three other homeless men.

James Patrick McGillivray, 53, was killed near a shopping center in Placentia on Dec. 20; Lloyd Middaugh, 42, was found near a riverbed trail in Anaheim on Dec. 28; and Paulus Smit, 57, was killed outside a Yorba Linda library on Dec. 30.

Police and advocates have been urging those living on the streets to head inside or buddy up in the wake of the killings.

The identity of the Friday night victim was not officially released but nearby residents said the man, known as John, was well known.

Krista Schegetz, who had known John for five or six years, told the Orange County Register she had warned him about the killings.

'When the second one happened, I didn't know if he'd heard,' said Schegetz. 'I know he reads the paper. But I wasn't sure and I said just please be careful.

'He was very solitary. When I first met him, I asked him if there was anything he needed, and he said "I have everything."'

'He was the nicest guy you can imagine,' Kevin Christensen told the Register. 'I wanted to warn him there was a serial killer loose, and he said "Don't worry about it."'

John's murder comes after the deaths of three homeless men in ten days last month. Each man, found dead in Orange County, was alone at the time of the killings and stabbed repeatedly.

James McGillivray, 53, was found killed with multiple stab wounds outside a shopping center in Placentia. Eight days later, Lloyd Middaugh, 42, was found along a riverbed trail in Anaheim.

Paulus Cornelius Smit, 57, was found stabbed to death on December 30 in a stairwell outside a library. His daughter told NBC he had been stabbed 15 to 20 times in the chest and that his bicycle had been stolen.

'He was a proud man,' Julia Smit Lorenzo, who said her father enjoyed making bicycles from scratch, recounted. 'He wouldn’t walk away from a situation or into one. It looks like he was ambushed.'

She added: 'He was street smart. Homelessness was one thing I overcame. He succumbed to it.'

It is not yet known for certain if the killings are linked, but a task force is investigating a connection.

'Each victim was stabbed multiple times,' Anaheim Police Deputy Chief Craig Hunter said. 'There are some additional similarities between the victims that we are not going to discuss.'

No information was released on the man they took into custody, but Hunter said 'in a very general sense' he matched the description of the man suspected for the earlier deaths.

But police are not assuming they have solved the serial killings. 'We are certainly not letting down our guard,' Hunter said.

Authorities had released grainy photographs from surveillance video of a man in dark clothing wanted for questioning. Video also showed a white Toyota Corolla driving past the scene an hour before the murder.

Police had urged homeless people to seek shelter and visited homeless camps across Orange County to warn transients of a serial killer is on the loose.

On Friday, the Orange County sheriff's deputies union had announced a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

Tom Dominguez, president of the Association of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs, told City News Service: 'This guy is a serial killer preying on some of the most vulnerable people in society.

'We have to do whatever we can to stop him from killing anyone else. If a reward can get someone to talk and help find him, it's worth every penny and more.'

They have also been stopping and questioning motorists around the locations of the crimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eless-men.html

My boyfriend lives not too far from where one of the murders took place. Apparently, many people in the area have been terrified (in fear that the suspect would start killing just anyone). In addition to the murders, there have been a lot of break ins. The police had a neighborhood meeting and during the meeting... a house was broken into. A lot of security systems are being purchased at my bf's work. Fear sells.

PTSD is serious, it sucks so many had to die.

Itzcoatl Ocampo, suspected serial killer of Calif. homeless, was homeless himself

(CBS/AP) YORBA LINDA, Calif. - Itzcoatl Ocampo, a Marine veteran suspected in the deaths of four homeless men in Southern California, was, himself, homeless, according to his father.

According to Itzcoatl Ocampo's father, his son lost his job and home, and ended up living under a bridge before finding shelter in the cab of a broken-down big-rig he is helping repair.

Itzcoatl Ocampo visited his father, who is also homeless, warning him about the danger of being on the streets and showing him a picture of one of his alleged victims.

"He was very worried about me," Refugio Ocampo, 49, said Sunday. "I told him, 'Don't worry, I'm a survivor. Nothing will happen to me.'"

The suspect came back a changed man after serving in Iraq, his father said. His son expressed disillusionment and became darker as his family life frayed and he struggled to make his way.

The 23-year-old Ocampo is awaiting charges in connection with the serial killings of four homeless men since last December.

Police arrested Itzcoatl Ocampo on Jan. 13 after a locally known homeless man, John Berry, 54, was stabbed to death outside a Carl's Jr. restaurant in Anaheim. Bystanders gave chase, and police made the arrest.

Refugio Ocampo said that on Jan. 11, his son came to him with a picture of his first victim, 53-year-old James Patrick McGillivary, who was killed Dec. 20.

"This is what is happening," the father quoted his son saying.

Ocampo's family says Itzcoatl was never the same after he was discharged from service in 2010. When he received news of his friend's death in Afghanistan, he "was never the same," his family explains.

His family described a physical condition Itzcoatl suffered in which his hands shook and he suffered headaches. Medical treatments helped until he started drinking. His father said, "He started drinking like crazy, too much, way too much."

A neighbor and the father tried to get Itzcoatl to treatment, but he refused. Refugio Ocampo said he wanted his son to get psychological treatment as well. "He started talking about stuff that didn't make any sense, that the end of the world was going to happen," he said.

A High School friend said, "He went from being a tall, geeky kid, really fun loving...," he said, trailing off.

"If he did it, it wasn't right, obviously. But there's something wrong with him," Itzcoatl's father said.

In addition to Berry and McGillivray, Lloyg Middaugh, 42 was killed near a river bed trail on Dec. 28, and Paulus Smith, 57, was found dead outside a library on Dec. 30.

Anaheim Police Chief John Welter has said investigators are confident they have the man responsible for the string of murders that have been striking dear into Orange County's homeless since Dec. 20. Prosecutors have yet to file charges.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...eless-himself/

If he and his father are homeless, why would he target the homeless and warn his dad to be careful.

I DONT GET IT

Throw suspicion to someone else? Multiple personalities? Resentment for being homeless? Just being flat out crazy?

hmmm. i like your crazy theory

I'm sure something was going on in his mind that made him think he was 'protecting people'. This is based on every Criminal Minds about soldiers with PTSD killing hobos. THERE ARE SEVERAL.

Quote Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
    PTSD is serious, it sucks so many had to die.
    My brother recently informed me that those with PTSD weren't properly screened in the military and are weak. They simply can't handle what they signed up for. He was passive-aggressively referring to my husband who has PTSD. My brother assumes he "lives off the system" because he gets a check from the military. Pissed me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    My brother recently informed me that those with PTSD weren't properly screened in the military and are weak. They simply can't handle what they signed up for. He was passive-aggressively referring to my husband who has PTSD. My brother assumes he "lives off the system" because he gets a check from the military. Pissed me off.
    WTF, your brother sounds like a fucking moron, no offense. Isn't the whole point that the military is your job and you get paid for it?

WTF, your brother sounds like a fucking moron, no offense. Isn't the whole point that the military is your job and you get paid for it?
    Oh, none taken. He's an ass. He takes issue at the PTSD-related disability check that he receives. Just extra "tax dollars" going to the weak. Then he mentioned how he never had issues in the navy. He was on a boat in Italy. Sheldon did CI in Iraq. Nothing against navy people, but their cases truly are apples and oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Thread Information