Thread: Video Shows Officer Shooting of Unarmed Man

Video Shows Officer Shooting of Unarmed Man

Stanley Gibson. poor guy. he was a disabled vet with cancer who was facing eviction with his family

LAS VEGAS -- Las Vegas police have identified the four officers involved in a shooting that left an unarmed man dead. Stanley Gibson was shot Sunday night while apparently trying to find his apartment complex, but ended up lost.

The officers involved in the shooting that killed Gibson have all been placed on routine paid administrative leave. They are Officer Jesus Arevalo, Officer Malik Grego-Smith, Sgt. Michael Hnatuick, and Lt. David Dockendorf.

On Sunday, Gibson reportedly pulled into the wrong apartment complex on his way home. He was apparently trying to find his apartment after recently moving, but ended up in the wrong complex. According to family members, he was disoriented after being off medication. Neighbors thought he was acting suspicious and called police.

Larry Krantz lives in the complex and recorded video of the incident. "The wheels were spinning because he couldn't go anywhere. After that, we heard a pop, then we heard about six pops after. That's when the bullets were hitting his vehicle," he said.

Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie said officers on the scene negotiated with Gibson for 30 minutes before the shooting happened.

A source with Metro says that a breakdown in communication "on scene" may have led to Gibson's shooting. Sources say that one officer fired a non-lethal bean-bag gun into the car and a second officer thought the noise was Gibson shooting at them, which is why he fired at Gibson.

Late Wednesday, a representative from the ACLU said the agency, along with the NAACP, are in favor of a federal investigation into recent officer shootings.
    http://www.8newsnow.com/story/163260...of-unarmed-man

An unarmed man gets lost and they shoot him to death??? I just don't get it. Since when are cops told to start shooting just because they hear what sounds like a gunshot? You take cover, identify the threat, then engage it. You don't just open fire on the first black guy you see. Idiots.

If you can't distinguish a bean bag gun from a real gun, then they should switch over to stun guns instead. Oh wait, there was that cop who confused his stun gun for his real gun and shot an unarmed guy in the back....so even that wouldn't work. Damn cops.
    I wear caps with flat brims and sunglasses with white frames. I...DROOL...

Yea this one got to me. The guy is a disabled vet who made a wrong turn. sad

I can't even imagine. You're lost, confused, and experiencing side effects or withdrawl or whatever. Then all of sudden cops are yelling at you and shooting you with non-lethal AND lethal projectiles. NOT COOL!

Thread Information