Thread: Ruben Garcia Castillo (16) shot by store clerk who mistakenly thought he was being robbed

Ruben Garcia Castillo (16) shot by store clerk who mistakenly thought he was being robbed

*This story happened a few years ago but i came across it in the Homicide Report today and thought it was a weird story.
    I havent looked for any updates yet

Ruben Garcia Castillo, 16, was short in stature, playful and outgoing.

He had come to Los Angeles from Guanajuato state in Mexico about a year ago to work here and study English, said his brother Saul Garcia Castillo, 34. The two brothers worked together at a tire shop a block from the Normandie Ranch market.

Ruben was a regular customer of the market, and had a friendly, bantering acquaintance with its manager, Soloman Berhane, 38, area residents said. That afternoon, 2:30 p.m. June 11, Ruben told his brother he was going to run down to the store to pick up some batteries, his brother said. "Cuidate," Saul told him, wary of the street.

Ten long minutes passed, the brother recalled. Saul was tied up with a customer, fixing a tire, but wondered why Ruben was taking so long. Then he saw an ambulance and police cars down at the market. Apprehensive, he sent a friend to see what happened, and continued working. The friend returned and said, "Your brother has been shot."

Garcia had walked into the market and surprised Berhane, who was absorbed in the task of counting money. Hearing Ruben's voice, and believing that he was being robbed, Berhane grabbed his weapon from under the counter and fired, then "realized he had shot a longtime customer," said Det. Matt Mahoney of LAPD.

Berhane called 911 and tried to give aid to Garcia, police said. Garcia died at the scene. Berhane, who neighbors said is of Jamaican extraction, was booked for manslaughter, and later released on $100,000 bail.

Police called the incident a compounded tragedy. Berhane appeared horrified by what he had done, and desperate to try to save Garcia, they said.

At the crime scene shortly after the shooting, officers wouldn't allow older brother Saul to pass. They questioned him, asking if Ruben was a gang member. "He worked in a tire shop!" Saul told them. Ruben, he noted, was wearing blue work coveralls when he was shot. It was a half an hour before he realized Ruben was dead. Saul Garcia said he is confused by what happened, and is waiting for Berhane's first court appearance to get an explanation.

Saul was back at work the next morning fixing tires between phone calls to various family members to make arrangements. One call he had not yet made was to the siblings' parents in Mexico. Ruben was the youngest of 15 children. Saul said his heart constricted at the thought of making that call.

The store was closed and shuttered. Neighbors expressed dismay at the new graffiti, which suggested a threat of gang retaliation "the wrong response", said one, given what he called a tragic event involving members of two immigrant groups.
    http://projects.latimes.com/homicide...rcia-castillo/
    Last edited by HockeyGirl; 12-15-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    Ruben was the youngest of 15 children.
    Why even bother telling his folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

can you imagine having 14 brothers and sisters?!
    My hands are full with one

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I'm an only child, so no. Not at all.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

He heard a voice and believed he was being robbed??? Maybe because he was counting money and the voice he heard he didn't understand?

Oh, and the victim wasn't here to "learn English". He was an illegal. They're all here to learn English in that respect.
    I wear caps with flat brims and sunglasses with white frames. I...DROOL...

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmdeeznuts View Post
    He heard a voice and believed he was being robbed??? Maybe because he was counting money and the voice he heard he didn't understand?

Oh, and the victim wasn't here to "learn English". He was an illegal. They're all here to learn English in that respect.
    He was working here, troll.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

You really are a douche. I thought it was just stupidity at first but now I'm certain. Ruben was a child. Illegal or not, it doesn't make this any less tragic.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    He was working here, troll.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

You'll find that most illegals are here to work.

Say, you guys wouldn't be trying to goad me into making comments that would get me banned would you?

Tsk Tsk.

Goad you into making comments? If you want to be all DEM ALIENS SHOULD LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH GOOD, THIS IS AMERICA, go for it. I don't think you get banned for being stupid.

You'll find that most illegals are here to work.

Say, you guys wouldn't be trying to goad me into making comments that would get me banned would you?

Tsk Tsk.
    No one understands what our country would be like without those willing to do the shit we think we are too good for. I don't want to live in a place that new people don't desire to be. Everyone starts at the bottom, it doesn't make them less, just new. Irish need not apply wasn't that terribly long ago. Don't be small minded. I don't buy you're that dumb. I think you are attempting to be controversial.

I didn't appreciate the way in which they tried to slide it buy us in that article that this was somehow NOT an illegal, and instead just a "hard working immigrant trying to learn English."

It's still tragic and wrong that this happened, even to an illegal. But the truth is this boy shouldn't have been in our country in the first place.

I didn't appreciate the way in which they tried to slide it buy us in that article that this was somehow NOT an illegal, and instead just a "hard working immigrant trying to learn English."

It's still tragic and wrong that this happened, even to an illegal. But the truth is this boy shouldn't have been in our country in the first place.
    A person is a person, regardless of their immigration status. I hate it when people who were lucky enough to be born American, by a lucky rlole of the dice, get so uppity. You act like you somehow earned your spot. Face it, you got lucky. I can't blame anyone who comes here with the hopes to provide for their family. Stop beings so small-minded.

"There but for the grace of God, there go I."

Usually that statement has some validity, but not when it comes to comitting crimes. It's like saying "If you were born in a criminal's body, you'd commit crimes too." Doesn't really adequately justify it. You're still a criminal regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by irishkat View Post
    A person is a person, regardless of their immigration status. I hate it when people who were lucky enough to be born American, by a lucky rlole of the dice, get so uppity. You act like you somehow earned your spot. Face it, you got lucky. I can't blame anyone who comes here with the hopes to provide for their family. Stop beings so small-minded.
    Yeah, that. I did just laugh out loud at "even to an illegal," though, so thanks for that.

Uh, you can and most are hard working illegals here. Plus this was a 16 year old who possibly came to the country when he was 5. Several of my friends came here illegally with their parents when they were quite young. They're the hardest working people I know. "Illegal" is something that exists because it's so incredibly difficult if you're not a white anglo to get citizenship in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Yeah, that. I did just laugh out loud at "even to an illegal," though, so thanks for that.
    I just about freaked out. I thought I had written, "even to an illigal" somewhere. I was going to have to use the Twinkie Defense. Thank god, now I can save it for another time.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    A criminal is still a criminal? Fuck off dude. Seriously.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

My Grandpa was one of 16 children. I was one of 3, that was enough for me! My sister is pregnant with 6 and 7.

Thread Information