Thread: Dr. Marianne Cinat (46) was found dead in her swimming pool and an investigation is ongoing

Dr. Marianne Cinat (46) was found dead in her swimming pool and an investigation is ongoing

UCI Burn Center Director Found Dead in Pool

Marianne Cinat was 46 years old

ROSSMOOR, Calif. (KTLA) -- An investigation is under way after a trauma surgeon and Medical Director at UC Irvine Regional Burn Center was found dead in her backyard pool in Orange County.

A friend found 46-year-old Marianne Cinat in the pool behind her home in the 2800 block of Mainway Drive in Rossmoor just after 11 a.m. Saturday, according to Orange County Sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino

Coroner's officials were investigating the cause of death.

"The UC Irvine community is devastated by this loss," UC Irvine Medical Center spokesman John Murray told the OC Register. "Dr. Marianne Cinat was an outstanding surgeon whose skill and compassion touched the lives of hundreds of burn survivors and their families. She was a wonderful colleague, friend and mentor whose presence will be deeply missed. Our thoughts are with her family."

No further details have been released.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2011...ion_is_ongoing
    Last edited by Olivia; 06-21-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added article

Now its getting kind of weird...

Cinat, 45, medical director of the UC Irvine Regional Burn Center, was discovered late Saturday morning by a close friend at Cinat's home in unincorporated Rossmoor. She was fully clothed and had been in the pool for more than 10 hours before the call came in at 11:15 a.m., he said.

Cinat's sister Laura Cinat said Monday that they talked on Friday night for about an hour, and Marianne Cinat was in good spirits.

At 12:34 a.m., Laura Cinat sent a text message with a photo of her 7-year-old daughter. Marianne Cinat responded: "Adorable! Melts my heart."

The next day, Cinat was dead –- and her friends and family are left to sort out the mystery.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...d-in-pool.html

In the pool for 10 hours? Doesn't her family live with her? Wouldn't they have noticed her gone? It's extra sad when she had so much more to give to help others, all that training...

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post
    In the pool for 10 hours? Doesn't her family live with her? Wouldn't they have noticed her gone? It's extra sad when she had so much more to give to help others, all that training...
    Maybe she lived alone? I will be interested to see what happened.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6984653.story

Friends and family were no closer to knowing what caused a prominent Orange County surgeon to be found dead in her swimming pool after an autopsy Monday proved inconclusive.

The body of Dr. Marianne E. Cinat, 45, medical director of the UC Irvine Regional Burn Center, was discovered late Saturday morning by a close friend at Cinat's home in unincorporated Rossmoor, said Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

Cinat, who was fully clothed, had been in the pool for more than 10 hours before the call came in at 11:15 a.m., he said.

Nothing about the case stood out as highly suspicious, and further toxicology tests will determine the cause of death. Results will take five to eight weeks while the department continues its investigation, Amormino said.

How do they know how long she was in the pool? I assume inconclusive means they didn't find water in her lungs?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    How do they know how long she was in the pool? I assume inconclusive means they didn't find water in her lungs?
    I guessing they are estimating because the friend found her at 11am and her sister last spoke to her at 1230am the same day?

This might be a stupid question but when they say she lived in unincorporated Rossmoor, what does that mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area

I'm more used to hearing "unincorporated Adams County" and such, meaning areas that aren't really cities, but aren't really rural either.

Quote Originally Posted by MBPearls View Post

I'm more used to hearing "unincorporated Adams County" and such, meaning areas that aren't really cities, but aren't really rural either.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by MBPearls View Post

Thanks love. I google mapped her address because I am nosy, and it looks like most of the area hasn't been streetviewed although it looks quite developed.

Last edited by Olivia; 06-21-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added pic

mb explained it better than I could. Unincorporated areas are developed, they just dont have their own local government.
    I work for a City and our logo says "Incorporated in 1986" all though its been developed much longer than that

never thought i would see an update on this. All though its not much clearer

Coroner: UCI burn doctor drowned after head trauma

The prominent Orange County burn-injury surgeon found in her backyard pool in June drowned because of blunt-force trauma to her head, according to autopsy and forensic reports obtained under California Public Records Act.

Marianne E. Cinat, medical director of UC Irvine Regional Burn Center in Orange, had swelling and scrapes on her forehead, a small cut on her nose, internal bleeding in her front scalp and a small cut on the back of her head. Her respiratory system showed evidence of fresh-water drowning.

But while the way Cinat died is clear, Orange County coroner's authorities could not determine conclusively the manner in which it happened – meaning they have not declared if it was an accident, a homicide, a suicide or natural causes.

Investigators with the Sheriff's Department don't know exactly what happened to Cinat, but interviews, research and evidence in the case have given no reason to believe that it was a suicide or a homicide, department spokesman Dan Salcedo said.

Cinat, who was 45 when she died, lived alone in her single-family house in Rossmoor, an affluent community between Seal Beach and Los Alamitos.

A longtime friend of Cinat reported the death at 11:14 a.m. Saturday, June 18. The woman, a registered nurse, went to the home because the two of them had plans to attend a Melissa Etheridge concert in San Diego that day. After finding Cinat at the bottom of the pool, she pulled her out of the water and knew she was dead because her body was stiff.

The friend said they had been out to dinner the night before, where Cinat consumed two alcoholic drinks of rum and diet Coke. But when they parted ways, Cinat did not seem overtly intoxicated, the friend said.

Cinat's sister, Laura Cinat, said she spoke with Cinat on the telephone for about an hour later that night, and everything seemed OK.

Toxicology tests showed Cinat had no drugs in her system but did have a 0.11 percent blood alcohol concentration. The legal limit to drive a vehicle in California is 0.08 percent.

Investigators found an unfinished alcoholic drink inside Cinat's home on the morning she was found. Cinat was known to drink alcohol regularly even though she was told to quit both alcohol and caffeine because of a heart condition that affected her heartbeat rhythms.

That condition, called premature ventricular contraction, can cause fainting. Cinat's medical records showed that she had worn a special monitor for the condition from five to 10 years ago, but there was nothing to show that she had ever fainted.

Cinat was wearing shorts and a T-shirt when she was pulled from the pool. The coroner's examination showed no signs of trauma to her throat, neck or mouth and no indication of any sexual assault. Her heart and all of her other organs, aside from her lungs, showed nothing abnormal.

Cinat, a native of Michigan, was not married and had no children, according to the coroner's documents.

As burn center director and a surgeon at UC Irvine's medical center, where she also did her residency and fellowship, Cinat treated a wide range of patients who suffered catastrophic injuries. She also served in leadership roles for regional and national societies such as American College of Surgeons. Her research interests included resuscitation, evaluation of trauma and burn patients and new techniques in burn and wound management.

"Helping people seemed like a very natural thing to me," Cinat said in a feature about her on UC Irvine's website. "What's special about burn care is how it leads to long-term relationships. Some of our patients are in the hospital for several months. You develop a very special bond with them and their families. For me, providing holistic care for patients is what takes priority and what I love. I couldn't be a doctor if I didn't do that."

The Sheriff's Department file on Cinat's death remains open, in case new information arises, but for now no resources are being used to investigate it, Salcedo said.
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/cinat...n-coroner.html

Thread Information