Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lauren Scruggs (23) survives walking into plane's propeller

Lauren Scruggs (23) survives walking into plane's propeller

Model, editor seriously injured by plane's propeller

Courtesy CaringBridge.org

Lauren Scruggs lost her left hand and suffered severe facial injuries Saturday night.

By M. Alex Johnson, msnbc.com

Updated at 6:27 p.m. ET
    : Friends say Lauren Scruggs is now resting in intensive care with her family after further surgery Monday.

Original pos
    t: A Dallas-area model and editor lost her left hand and fractured her skull after she walked into the propeller of a small airplane following a flight to view Christmas lights over the weekend.

Lauren Scruggs, 23, of Plano was in serious condition Monday at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas after the incident Saturday night. Scruggs, a fashion model, founded and edits LoLo Magazine.

Scruggs landed at Aero Country Airport in the McKinney area, about 30 miles from Dallas, about 9:30 p.m. Saturday after viewing North Texas Christmas lights from a small private airplane, The Dallas Morning News reported. The pilot wasn't hurt.

A family friend, Jane? Harrell, said Scruggs was struck on the left side of her body.

"Following multiple surgeries, Lauren has received facial and shoulder reconstruction, as well as the loss of her hand," Harrell said in a statement on a website set up by Scruggs' family and friends.

Scruggs is responding to voice commands and is able to move her legs and arms, according to an update posted on the site Monday morning.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...anes-propeller
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 12-05-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Title edit
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I was reading about this earlier and I can't help but be like how the fuck did this happen and I bet anything texting was involved.

'I love you': Fashion editor, 23, utters first words and comes to terms with her horrific injuries after walking into a spinning plane propeller as family pray for her recovery

Stylist who worked on hit show Gossip Girl had been on short flight to see Christmas lights
    Former model was able to tell doctor her name and tell family she loved them
    Recovering in hospital after she had her hand amputated

Model and fashion blogger Lauren Scrubbs is beginning to learn the extent of the horrific, life-changing injuries she sustained after walking into a spinning airplane propeller and has even been able to utter a few words since surgery.

The 23-year-old - who sustained graphic wounds to her head and shoulder and underwent emergency surgery to have her hand amputated - is beginning to come to terms with what happened to her as she recovers in ICU surrounded by her family.

A spokeswoman said on the weblog Caring Bridge set up in her honour: 'As Lauren begins to wake up, she is learning the extent of her injuries.'

'Brittany (her twin sister) was able to explain to her that she was in an accident, sustaining multiple injuries. She seemed to acknowledge what Brittany explained and confirmed it with a hand squeeze.

'She is able to open her right eye to see while her left eye is still bandaged. Please continue to pray for the vision of her left eye, as we will not know the status of her sight for some time,' stated the website.

It also revealed that when the doctor asked the 23-year-old what her name was, she was able to say 'Lauren'.

When her sister and mother told her they love her she told them, 'I love you too.'

Miss Scruggs, who created her own style website, was injured as she climbed out of a two-seater plane at Aero County Airport in McKinney, Texas, after a flight to see Christmas lights across the state two days ago.

According to RadarOnline, Lynn Lunsford, Mid-States Public Affairs Manager with the Federal Aviation Administration,said that an integral part of the investigation into exactly what happened is why the propeller was still moving when Scruggs got off the plane.

'It appears that the pilot left the engine running at idle while she exited the plane to switch places with another passenger. That's one of the aspects of the investigation,' she told RadarOnline.

The pilot has not yet been identified but he is thought to have been a friend of Lauren's and recently purchased the plane.

The 23-year-old, from the suburban area of Plano in Dallas, was taken to the Parkland Memorial Hospital where her devout Christian family, including her mother Cheryl, father Jeff and twin sister Brittany, gathered at her bedside.

A close family friend, who wished to remain anonymous, told MailOnline: 'I don't know anyone more gracious and sincere than Lauren. She always puts her family and friends first and everyone just flocks to her.

'But if there was someone who could make the best of this situation and come out on top, then she can.'

Family friend Janee Harrell said: 'Speaking for the entire Scruggs family, your prayers are greatly appreciated and felt every moment.

'Many of you know, our beautiful Lauren was in an accident. After exiting a propeller plane, an accident occurred where she walked into the front of the prop.

'Struck on the left side of her body, Lauren's hand, head, and shoulder area were hit.

'Following multiple surgeries, Lauren has received facial and shoulder reconstruction, as well as the loss of her hand.

'We are currently praying for healing on the left eye and brain. She is in a stable condition with ongoing surgery. Keep praying!'

In a later blog post, Ms Harrell wrote that Lauren was 'currently resting peacefully in ICU'.

She added: 'Earlier in the night, there was a victory. With her eyes closed, Jeff [her father] asked Lauren to respond by squeezing his hand, moments later that is exactly what she did! Praise the Lord.

'Tomorrow, Lauren will be heading back into surgery so that the doctors can finish up the work on her left hand area. Pray that the surgery goes flawlessly, as well as there will be no infections.'

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) were investigating the incident.

In an email to MailOnline today, an FAA spokesman wrote: 'According to our preliminary information, the woman was a passenger in a 2011 Aviat Husky.

'She had just exited the aircraft when she walked into the propeller around 9.30 pm on Saturday at Aero Country Airport. We are still investigating and will interview the pilot and any other witnesses.'

The identity of the pilot would not be revealed while the FAA investigation was ongoing but he was believed not to have been injured. He is also believed to be a family friend.

The plane is believed that have been fairly new and the pilot was in the process of changing passengers when the accident happened.

Miss Scruggs worked in the wardrobe department of the TV show Gossip Girl. She is also the editor of an online fashion magazine Lolo.com, which she started four months ago, and recently interviewed Twilight star Kellan Lutz at New York Fashion Week.

type of plane she was riding in

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...propeller.html

I heard about a woman who backed into a propeller once, disaster.

My Dad told me about a dude who walked into a propeller in Vietnam, also a disaster. Never walk towards the front of the plane.

That was a Diss Assed Her joke. But yeah, big spinning metal things were always something we avoided.

Cannot wait to see photos.

I'm getting a vanity leading to suicide in a few years vibe.

sustained graphic wounds
    Graphic wounds??
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

I'm standing by my conviction that she was texting.

The mother of model and fashion blogger Lauren Scruggs described today the horrific moment her daughter walked into a spinning plane propeller.

Cheryl Scruggs had accompanied 23-year-old Lauren to the private airport in Dallas, Texas on Saturday night so the young woman could enjoy a short flight over the city to look at Christmas lights.

On leaving the two-seater plane, it is believed that Lauren had turned to thank the pilot and was caught in the still spinning blade. Her left hand was severed and she suffered a skull fracture, brain injury and could still lose her left eye.

Mrs Scruggs said today: 'I was inside, and someone came in and told me she had gotten hit. I was there until the care flight got there. I was just able to hold her and… that's the toughest part of it all, just seeing her waiting there and waiting for the help. All I could do was tell her that I love her.'

Her father Jeff told Good Morning America: 'They're telling us it's going to be a long recovery. Obviously she's had a lot of trauma to her head, and she lost her left hand and her left eye is questionable. We're praying she'll regain her sight.

'What she'd tell you is her relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing in her life. Even though she cannot talk I know she's relying on Jesus right now.'

Her mother added: 'Lauren is a go-getter, her progress has been phenomenal. She is going to fight and she will fight through this. She will make it through.'

Miss Scruggs has undergone multiple reconstructive surgeries and is beginning to come to terms with what happened to her as she recovers in the ICU surrounded by her family.

Family friend Janee Harrell said: 'They landed and Lauren was getting off the plane so they could pick up another passenger. It was dark... we are thinking that Lauren came back to thank the pilot, and didn't see that the propeller was winding down.'

A spokeswoman said on the weblog Caring Bridge set up in her honour: 'Brittany (her twin sister) was able to explain to her that she was in an accident, sustaining multiple injuries. She seemed to acknowledge what Brittany explained and confirmed it with a hand squeeze.

'She is able to open her right eye to see while her left eye is still bandaged. Please continue to pray for the vision of her left eye, as we will not know the status of her sight for some time.'

It also revealed that when the doctor asked the 23-year-old what her name was, she was able to say 'Lauren'.

When her sister and mother told her they love her she told them, 'I love you too.'

Miss Scruggs, who created her own style website, was injured as she climbed out of a two-seater plane at Aero County Airport in McKinney, Texas, after a flight to see Christmas lights across the state two days ago.

Miss Scruggs was not drinking at the time of the accident, according to her parents.

According to RadarOnline, Lynn Lunsford, Mid-States Public Affairs Manager with the Federal Aviation Administration,said that an integral part of the investigation into exactly what happened is why the propeller was still moving when Miss Scruggs got off the plane.

'It appears that the pilot left the engine running at idle while she exited the plane to switch places with another passenger. That's one of the aspects of the investigation,' he told RadarOnline.

The pilot has not yet been identified but he is thought to have been a friend of Lauren's and recently purchased the plane.

The 23-year-old, from the suburban area of Plano in Dallas, was taken to the Parkland Memorial Hospital where her devout Christian family, including her mother Cheryl, father Jeff and twin sister Brittany, gathered at her bedside.

A close family friend, who wished to remain anonymous, told MailOnline: 'I don't know anyone more gracious and sincere than Lauren. She always puts her family and friends first and everyone just flocks to her.

'But if there was someone who could make the best of this situation and come out on top, then she can.'

Miss Scruggs worked in the wardrobe department of the TV show Gossip Girl. She is also the editor of an online fashion magazine Lolo.com, which she started four months ago, and recently interviewed Twilight star Kellan Lutz at New York Fashion Week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...propeller.html

It's pretty simple when you can get out and go in just about any direction but one. She chose poorly but it's a pilot fail to allow anyone out of the plane before it's shut down.

Model, huh?

I heard on the radio the pics are pretty gnarly, im dying to find them.
    They said it pretty much cut her head in half

Yikes.

I don't need to see that.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

I wanna see!

yeah, thats what they are all saying here too, that she was waving to thank the pilot and walked into it, but saw it right before it was going to hit and put her hand in front of her face.

poor girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Yea I mean, i do feel sorry for her, but a propeller is one of those things it seems like you couldnt miss

You could miss it but you'd have to be pretty fast.

I stand by my firm belief that no one wants to admit she was texting someone about her arrival and stumbled into it. Still a horrific accident, but I can't imagine how anyone would just wander into a propeller if they were paying 2% attention to their surroundings.

You can do dumb stuff without texting, look at Dr Romano.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
    I'm getting a vanity leading to suicide in a few years vibe.
    Oh yea.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

i dont think her "before" face is worthy of vanity suicide

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    i dont think her "before" face is worthy of vanity suicide
    Meow!

I mean, that's like your opinion...man.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Those are horribly unflattering pictures of her. She kind of looks like Jessica Simpson. I think my issue is that her brows are really dark and thick so they clash with her hair.

Thread Information