Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: computer help

Quote Originally Posted by morbidT View Post
    I sprayed my keyboard with a can of air. It seems to be helping. I haven't noticed the "I" missing from anything since.

I do have Norton 360. Can I, or do I need AVG or Advanced System Care?

I don't have Norton on my desktop and only use AVG. It doesn't seem to have any problems.

I'm completely challenged when it comes to this stuff and appreciate everyone's help!
    Personally I hate Norton, it's a resource hog. I would get the AVG, run a deep scan, then install the ADC, and run it. The ADC will make your machine run noticeably faster.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    Personally I hate Norton, it's a resource hog. I would get the AVG, run a deep scan, then install the ADC, and run it. The ADC will make your machine run noticeably faster.
    So, I should have all of these WITH my Norton?

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    ..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

So, I should have all of these WITH my Norton?
    No, I would personally dump the Norton unless you've paid for it. It is invasive and a resource hog. AVG does the same job for free and it doesn't slow down your system half as bad. Before I went deep off into sailing, I would build and tune gaming rigs. If you right click above the clock in your toolbar, you can see the Task manager and see all the processes that is running. We found it unacceptable to see more than 25 processes. I see people with over 80 running at the same time. Norton typically launches all sorts of crap that you just don't need.

She's on my FB, I can reach out to her. You might just Google "Key Loggers" Also, AVG free is awesome and free. For non techies, another good free program to fix your PC is Advanced System Care. It fixes registry errors, looks for malware etc and generally fixes a bunch of crap. Between the two of those and spybot that someone else mentioned it should check out your machine. First thing I would do, to eliminate hardware, would be to plug in a USB keyboard and see if the problem replicates.
    I've spoken to Beefy and she's on the case as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post
    I've spoken to Beefy and she's on the case as we speak
    Awesome.

We use Norton... It's what they give us at work, so I "like" it better than AVG. But you definitely don't want both trying to run at one. They will slug it out and stop your computer from any meaningful activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

If you decide to go with a different virus program besides Norton make sure to uninstall Norton first! Having two virus programs will make everything run really slow.

No, I would personally dump the Norton unless you've paid for it. It is invasive and a resource hog. AVG does the same job for free and it doesn't slow down your system half as bad. Before I went deep off into sailing, I would build and tune gaming rigs. If you right click above the clock in your toolbar, you can see the Task manager and see all the processes that is running. We found it unacceptable to see more than 25 processes. I see people with over 80 running at the same time. Norton typically launches all sorts of crap that you just don't need.
    Okay. I don't have Norton on the desktop, so I will go with this. I paid for it on the laptop, but I have noticed all the programs running, my laptops bogs down, and the fan runs constantly (loud). My Flash Player thing also crashes all the time. So, it might be worth getting rid of it all together. I also get this little box that pops up that says something about high CPU usage.

I did the key logger thing. I have no idea if I had one or not. I didn't really understand the 'report' thing and wasn't even sure it was done running. I've been waiting since about 4pm for it to tell me it was done. I figure it's done now.

Thanks everyone for halping a stoopid girl out!

..... it wasn't anything personal, she just mistook him for a serial killer......

I hate Norton, like AVG much better.
    One of the best sites to use for downloading programs for anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-virus, root kit detectors etc. is Majorgeeks.com.

Holy shit! I don't understand that site, at all.

Holy shit! I don't understand that site, at all.
    On the left, there are lists of the different programs purposes, then you click on whichever type of program you need and it will bring you to a list with descriptions. Also, sort by "popularity" to find the best ones. I've used them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    On the left, there are lists of the different programs purposes, then you click on whichever type of program you need and it will bring you to a list with descriptions. Also, sort by "popularity" to find the best ones. I've used them for years.
    Okay. I see what you are talking about now. So anything on that site is good? Like, if I click on popularity and it pops up the stuff, any of that stuff is kosher?

Yes, you can trust anything on their site. The majority of the programs are free.

If it's free it's for me!

Thank you!

Thread Information