Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prosecutor Ray Gricar missing and presumed dead at center of Penn State child rape case

Prosecutor Ray Gricar missing and presumed dead at center of Penn State child rape case

The Mystery Of Ray Gricar, The Prosecutor Who Failed To Prosecute Jerry Sandusky (And Who Might Be Dead)

On April 15, 2005, Ray Gricar, the Centre County district attorney, left his office in the county's brick-and-limestone courthouse, got into his red Mini Cooper and drove away. He called his girlfriend, Patricia Fornicola, around 11:30 a.m. to say that he was traveling on Route 192. That was the last anyone heard of Ray Gricar.

Fornicola reported her boyfriend missing that night. The next day, Gricar's car was found in a Lewisburg, Pa., parking lot with his cellphone inside. Three months later, fisherman on the nearby Susquehannah River discovered Gricar's county-issued laptop in the water, wedged against a bridge. The hard drive was missing. Three months after that, police found the drive on the riverbank, damaged so badly that no data could be recovered. Four more years would pass before investigators would reveal the internet searches someone had run on Gricar's home computer before his disappearance: "how to wreck a hard drive," "how to fry a hard drive," and "water damage to a notebook computer."

The details about the prosecutor's disappearance were, to say the least, suspicious and alluring. Newspapers around Pennsylvania picked up the story. America's Most Wanted profiled Gricar. The Discovery Channel launched an investigation. And strange theories proliferated. Someone claimed to have seen Gricar sitting in the Oprah studio audience. Another person snapped a photograph of a man who looked like Gricar eating at a Chili's in Nacogdoches, Texas, four months after his disappearance. The local police even agreed to work with a California psychic in the hopes of turning up a lead.

No leads presented themselves. In July of this year, Gricar's daughter successfully petitioned a court to declare Gricar deceased and bring the saga to an end. But the saga will not end. That's because Gricar is the man who may have let Jerry Sandusky off the hook in 1998, when reports first surfaced of Sandusky's sexual misconduct (showering with an 11-year-old boy). From The New York Times yesterday:

[A]s the Sandusky investigation moves forward, questions will be asked anew about why Gricar did not pursue charges against him 13 years ago. A small but strident minority believes Gricar did not want to tackle a case that involved a hometown icon. Others who knew and worked with Gricar say he was a meticulous, independent and tough-minded prosecutor who was unbowed by Penn State, its football program and political pressure in general
    Gricar was, according to people who knew him, a cautious but hard-nosed prosecutor who didn't shy away from high-profile cases. His disappearance came right after he'd broken up a major heroin-trafficking ring, the county's biggest drug bust at the time. It's hard to imagine a guy willing to take on heroin dealers who wouldn't go after a pederast.

Maybe Gricar was killed or committed suicide or intentionally dropped off the grid. If anyone would know how to hide his trail from investigators, it'd be a district attorney. The natural conspiracist in all of us craves a good story. And if Gricar's disappearance has something to do with Sandusky, that'd sure make for a greasy little secondary narrative in this colossal trough of turpitude. For now, though, it'll have to remain a mystery.

http://deadspin.com/5857966/the-myst...-might-be-dead

There is also an article in the NYtimes that I can't post here.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sp...tery.html?_r=2
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Jerry Sandusky grew up as an only child living in an apartment over the Brownson House in Washington, Pa., a youth athletic center that also served as a second home for many local children. Two decades later while a linebacker coach at Penn State University he founded his own home for wayward boys, calling it The Second Mile.
    The charity's name came from the collection of moral lessons from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, specifically from Matthew 5:41: "And whosoever shall compel thee to go one mile, go with him two."
    The state Attorney General's office on Saturday charged Mr. Sandusky, 67, with 40 sex charges against boys from 1994 to 2005, all of whom he met through the Second Mile Foundation he founded in 1977. Started as a small home for six troubled boys outside State College, it has grown to a statewide organization whose mission is to help "young people to achieve their potential as individuals and community members by providing opportunities for them to develop positive life skills and self-esteem."
    Mr. Sandusky and his wife Dottie have six adopted children and had cared for foster children, which led them to start the nonprofit. Mr. Sandusky was inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame in 1999 and received awards for Second Mile including the 1993 NAACP Human Rights Award, the 1995 YMCA Service-To-Youth Award and the 1996 SGMA Heroes Award. President George Bush nationally recognized it as a philanthropic "Point Of Light" in November 1990.
    "After we had taken in some foster children," Mrs. Sandusky told Sports Illustrated in 1982, "we saw the opportunities that some kids just hadn't had. But we'd gotten to the point where we couldn't take in any more, so Jerry started thinking about starting a group home."
    It was also within the charity that Mr. Sandusky "found his victims," a grand jury presentment stated. "Through The Second Mile, Sandusky had access to hundreds of boys, many of whom were vulnerable due to their social situations."
    Mr. Sandusky retired from Penn State in 1999 to devote his time to Second Mile, where he would stay on until 2010. Efforts to reach the foundation's CEO Jack Raykovitz were not successful, but he released a statement to the Patriot-News Friday.
    "We have many policies and procedures designed to protect the children involved in our programs, including employee and volunteer background checks, training and supervision," he said. "As a result, other than occasional bumps and bruises, we have never had an incident impact the safety, health or well-being of children during our programs, and we will continue to do everything in our power to maintain the trust placed in us by the families and professionals with whom we partner to keep that record intact."
    Second Mile does work with at-risk children statewide, though most of it is in central and south-central Pennsylvania. It issues motivational and educational training cards called "Nittany Lion Tips," sponsors four-day conferences for high school sophomores on community leadership and week-long camps for children with behavioral and academic problems, and has a mentor program that matches collegiate volunteers with at-risk elementary students.
    Mr. Sandusky usually met his victims, the grand jury report said, in their second year at Second Mile camps at the Penn State campus, when they were 7 to 12 years old. They would often stay over at the Sandusky home, sleeping in the basement, and attend Penn State football games with him. He would then provoke sexual encounters with the boys in the basement room, Penn State showers and other athletic facilities, it said.
    There are multiple links between the charity and Penn State. Mr. Sandusky was given full access to university facilities in his 1999 retirement agreement, and the presentment says a 1998 investigation of an alleged encounter between Mr. Sandusky and a boy in a football shower was reviewed with the knowledge of then-university counsel Wendell Courtney, who remains counsel for Second Mile.
    After a graduate assistant reported seeing Mr. Sandusky anally rape a boy in the football building showers in 2002, Penn State athletic director Tim Curley told the assistant the incident had been reported to Second Mile. Mr. Curley told the grand jury that he informed the Second Mile CEO, Mr. Raykovitz, about the report and told Mr. Sandusky he was prohibited from bringing youths onto campus.
    Mr. Sandusky has long been the foundations's lead fundraiser. In 2010 it suffered a $228,000 loss in cash flow, which the foundation warned was hurting its youth programs.
    "The children we serve have often experienced many broken promises in their young lives; that's why our mantra has always been 'No broken promises, ever.' We need to continue to be the family they can count on," Second Mile's 2010 annual report said.
    It had $2.2 million in revenue versus $2.4 in expenses according to a January 2011 report to the Internal Revenue Service. Though it has little presence in the Pittsburgh area -- other than an annual Pitt vs. Penn State golf fundraiser -- one of its goals for his year is to "expand our professional partnerships and service, particularly in the Southwest Region," according to the charity tracker GuideStar.
    The roots for Second Mile come from the state's southwest too.
    Mr. Sandusky's father, Art Sandusky, served as live-in director of the Brownson House athletic center in Washington for many years. The facility's athletic field was named in honor of the elder Mr. Sandusky.
    The Sandusky family moved into the center in 1953, when Jerry was 9. It was the kind of place where children could keep out of trouble at a time when there were few after-school programs available.
    David Johnson, Mr. Sandusky's high school football coach, said Mr. Sandusky occasionally came home to Washington, including in recent years when his father and mother passed away.
    He said he has "all the respect in the world" for Mr. Sandusky and doesn't know what to make of the charges now leveled against him.
    "As far as I'm concerned, it's not true until I see more evidence," Mr. Johnson said.
    Ken Bonnell, a high school friend of Mr. Sandusky's, agreed. "I don't want to believe it," he said. "But it sure doesn't look good for Jerry."
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

well if this prosecuter let Sandusky off the hook than he deserves whatever comes to him.

I mentioned in the Sports Thread that after reading the Grand Jury testimony by those boys who explained in such detail what he did to them sexually I hope Sandusky gets what is inevitably coming to him in prison

'We want Joe back!' Penn State students riot as university fire Coach Paterno AND force president to quit amid sex scandal
    Joe Paterno, in charge for 46 years, will never coach another game
    Penn State president Graham Spanier also forced out by Board of Trustees
    Thousands of students flock to university campus to chant Paterno's name
    Two school officials accused of a covering up the sexual abuse
    Authorities will investigate whether Penn State officials violated federal law
    One boy said he was assaulted at least 20 times at Jerry Sandusky's home
    Pennsylvania's top police officer says Paterno should have done more

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-Spanier.html

These people should all be assigned the Grand Jury report as mandatory reading in their school. It's fucking sick. Two people reported seeing that Sardusky actively raping little boys and Paterno and the rest of the staff did NOTHING. If someone came to me and said, "I saw so and so FUCKING A 12 YEAR OLD IN THE ASS IN THE SHOWERS", I wouldn't be like 'so explain yourself' and then Sardusky basically was like 'boys will be boys, we were just wrestling!' which is the same as 'yes', and then they didn't even fire him, let alone turn him over to proper authorities to investigate it.

It's weird they canned Paterno but the guy who saw them in the shower is coaching the team this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
    It's weird they canned Paterno but the guy who saw them in the shower is coaching the team this Saturday.
    The janitor?

Hyper he didn't do a thing when he saw the guy raping the kid. He didn't even try to stop him. And he was 28, not some little scared kid. What a disgrace.

Mike McQueary. No pun intended.

He is an evil Ginger
    Last edited by Just Me; 11-10-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: cause I suck

Oh, you're talking about the guy who saw him anally raping a kid who hasn't turned up on the victim list, right? The only like, totally 100% complaint came from the elderly janitor war hero, and I mean, to me, the first time is inexcusable but I see the things people convince myself. But if the SAME GUY'S name comes up from some old dude who has nothing to do with anything and is crying in your office about it, how the fuck do you not contact the police immediately and fire the fuck out of him??????

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    I haven't read about the janitor. So a janitor saw it multiple times and went to administration?
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    I haven't read about the janitor. So a janitor saw it multiple times and went to administration?
    No. A janitor walked in on a child getting oral sex, after another person had already reported seeing the guy raping a kid.

Here, ruin your night:
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/...d-jury-report/

The file is damaged and won't open. I'm not sure I really want to read it anyways.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

http://www.wgal.com/pdf/29737452/detail.html

You should. It should be required reading for every fucking student defending football over these kids' lives.

http://www.wgal.com/pdf/29737452/detail.html

You should. It should be required reading for every fucking student defending football over these kids' lives.
    It still won't open for me.
    I read the "highlights" on a website. I don't think I need to in order to be disgusted and horrified. Definitely not defending football over it.

It still won't open for me.
    I read the "highlights" on a website. I don't think I need to in order to be disgusted and horrified. Definitely not defending football over it.
    Opening fine for me. I know YOU aren't, I just think it's the sort of thing people need to read because it properly explains what is going on, whereas news articles can be convoluted, tainted by opinion and slanted.

Basically, Penn was operating on Catholic Church Molester Policy.

Also, child molesters do a fuckload more wining and dining with their victims than any guy I've dated lately.

The file is damaged and won't open. I'm not sure I really want to read it anyways.
    Opens for me. It's actually the people in it who are damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

McQueary won't coach Saturday because of threats.

http://www.cumberlink.com/sports/pen...cc4c03286.html

My computer won't open some PDF files for whatever reason. I probably need to update my Acrobat.

Bowie, you said it better than I ever could have.
    I hear about Sandusky molesting those kids but it wasnt until i read that grand jury report did I feel ill and want to see sandusky, paterno and all the others who sat on this information suffer.

My friend text me yesterday and said how old and frail paterno and his wife looked when the news cameras were at their house bombarding them.
    He said it was sad how scared they looked, and i said i wish i felt sympathy for him. i feel none. No matter what a legacy he had at penn state, it means nothing now

He's the "winningest" coach but when you've been coaching for 100 years that doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
    He's the "winningest" coach but when you've been coaching for 100 years that doesn't necessarily mean quality.
    yup
    everyone defending him is hanging their opinion on his legacy.
    Those wins dont mean crap

In really suprised Mcqueary wont be coaching. are they going to fire him too?

He's sad that the next two months of his life are going to suck. Those kids are sad that their entire lives are fucked up because he and the rest of the admin at Penn ignored a predator.

In 2011, following a two-year grand jury investigation, Sandusky was arrested and charged with 52 counts of sexual abuse of young boys over a 15-year period. He met his molestation victims through The Second Mile, who were children participating in the organization, and several of them testified against Sandusky in his sexual abuse trial

Four of the charges were subsequently dropped. On June 22, 2012, Sandusky was found guilty on 45 of the 48 remaining charges. Sandusky was sentenced on October 9, 2012 to 30 to 60 years in prison. On October 18, 2012, Sandusky's lawyers appealed his conviction in Centre County Court in Pennsylvania. They claim that they did not have enough time to prepare for their client's case.On October 31, 2012, Sandusky was moved to Pennsylvania's SCI Greene "supermax" prison to serve his sentence.On January 30, 2013, Pennsylvania Judge John Cleland denied Sandusky's request for a new trial

Thread Information