Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sky Metalwala 2,missing since 11/06/11

Sky Metalwala 2,missing since 11/06/11

The father of missing 2-year-old Sky Metalwala was charged with leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle in 2009, Redmond, Wash., prosecuting attorney Larry Mitchell told ABCNews.com today.

The FBI has joined the search for the toddler who has been missing since Sunday morning after his mother, Julia Biryukova of Redmond, said she left him alone for an hour in an unlocked car in Bellevue, Wash.

Biryukova told police she was driving with her two children when she ran out of gas on 112th Avenue, a two way street that borders Interstate 520. So she and her 4-year-old trekked about a mile to a nearby gas station, Northtowne Chevron Service, leaving Sky in the car, she said.

Police said she then called a friend who dropped her off at her car about an hour later. But when they returned to the 2-door silver Acura, Biryukova said, the boy was gone.

There was no sign of forced entry, according to police, who stopped searching the wooded area near the car Sunday.

A gas can wasn't found in Biryukova's car, a detail that "could mean a lot of things," Bellevue police spokeswoman Carla Iafrate told ABCNews.com.

They are now searching the area near Biryukova's home.

"Currently, we're searching in the area around the mother's apartment. Since the last time she saw the child was in her car and [prior to that she] was in her apartment," Iafrate said.

Police said family member have been cooperating with investigators.

Prior Charge for Sky Metalwala's Father

Solomon Metalwala, a Kirkland, Wash., resident, pleaded guilty to leaving a child unattended in 2010 after a December 2009 incident in which Sky, who was 3 months old at the time, was discovered sitting alone in the couple's car in a Target parking lot.

"A citizen noticed and had called the police," prosecutor Mitchell said. "They eventually made contact with the mother and father who were in the store shopping. There was some discussion about leaving the child unattended."

Solomon Metalwala paid a fine, did 40 hours of community service and completed a parenting class, so the case was dismissed in February of this year.

The child's uncle, Sam Metalwala, told ABC affiliate KOMO-TV in Seattle the boy's parents are going through a divorce after being married for seven years. And for now, all the family can do is hope for a new lead.

"They just told us to wait by the phone, so we're just waiting by the phone to see," he said.

Solomon Metalwala could not be reached for comment.

According to The Associated Press, the couple had been together for 14 years. They married in 2003 and separated in 2010, the same year Biryukova, 30, filed for an order of protection for herself and her children, the AP reported.

She claimed Metalwala, 36, had become abusive.

"He became furious like I have never seen him before, he grabbed me by my hair (in front of our 3 1/2 year old daughter), dragged me into our hallway, threw me down on the floor and then threw me against a decorative column we have in the entrance of our home," Biryukova wrote in court documents obtained by the AP. "He continued to assault me with his feet -- by kicking me and then he took out his car keys and continued to scratch me in any area he could."

According to the AP, Metalwala claimed she had mental health issues and he didn't trust her to care for the children.

Searching for Sky Metalwala

Sky is half Indian and half Caucasian, with brown eyes and dark buzz-cut hair. He was last seen wearing a dark green hooded sweatshirt with blue and gray striped Carter's pants, the same outfit he's pictured in above.

Anyone who sees a child matching this description is asked to call 911 immediately. Police are urging anyone who might have traveled along 112th Ave N.E., between I-520 and NE 24th Ave N.E., Sunday morning between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. is to call Bellevue, Wash., police.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bellevue-wa...5#.Trjo9dSIjEY

http://www.facebook.com/find.sky?sk=app_167969729896883

Quote Originally Posted by rachy View Post
    No pics of her son, sounds like she got what she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
    No pics of her son, sounds like she got what she wanted.
    i noticed that she has a lot of picture's of her daughter and not her son.

she has some on her flickr account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metalwala/

Boy vanished amid parents' bitter divorce

The search for a 2-year-old boy who disappeared Sunday morning after his mother left him in a parked car in Bellevue has shifted to the area near the child's home, police said Monday.

The Sunday disappearance of 2-year-old Sky Elijah Metalwala came only four days after his parents endured 11 hours of mediation aimed at ending a bitter divorce in a compromise that awarded custody of the couple's two young children to their mother but allowed visits with their father.

Sky's mother, Julia Biryukova, said the toddler disappeared after she left him alone in her unlocked car in Bellevue on Sunday morning after she ran out of gas.

According to police, Biryukova said she walked with her 4-year-old daughter to a Chevron station about a mile away. She called a friend who picked her up before she returned to her car.

When they arrived at the silver Acura Integra more than an hour later, Sky was gone, police said.

Police said there was no sign of forced entry into the car nor was there a gas can or any indication of car trouble. Police said the car started right up.

An extensive search of the area near the 2600 block of 112th Avenue Northeast, where the car had been parked, was suspended Sunday evening. Police resumed the search Monday morning in the area surrounding Biryukova's Redmond home, according to Bellevue police. The FBI also has joined the search.

The boy's father, Solomon Metalwala, said police also searched his Kirkland home.

Officer Carla Iafrate, spokeswoman for the Bellevue Police Department, said both parents are cooperating in the investigation.

"No arrests have been made at this time," she said. "All possibilities of what may have happened to the child are being investigated."

She said there are still "many unanswered questions."

Investigators are asking anyone who may have traveled along 112th Avenue Northeast, between Highway 520 and Northeast 24th Avenue Northeast, from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Sunday to call Bellevue police at 425-577-5656.

The couple's 4-year-old daughter, Maile Metalwala, has been taken into protective custody and placed in foster care, according to a spokeswoman for the state's Child Protective Services.

Efforts to reach Biryukova, 30, and her attorney were unsuccessful. Her younger brother, Stanley Biryukova, said she was crying frantically when she called him Sunday afternoon and explained what had happened.

"I'm hoping they'll find the child," he said.

It wasn't the first time Sky had been left unattended in a car, according to court documents.

The child's parents were charged with reckless endangerment in 2009 after leaving Sky, then 3 months old, in their car while they shopped at a Target store on a 27-degree day. Paged inside the store, the couple said they had left the baby in the car for about 20 minutes because they didn't want to wake him up, but surveillance video showed it was closer to an hour.

Both took parenting classes and completed community service before the case was dismissed in February of this year, court documents show.

Metalwala, 36, said Monday that the incident was a learning experience.

"I really made a mistake," he said during a news conference at his attorney's Bellevue office. "And I learned a very valuable lesson."

Metalwala's family is from Pakistan, and Biryukova, who is Ukrainian, immigrated with her family from Russia when she was 12, court records say.

The two met at Bellevue High School when Biryukova was 15 and Metalwala was 21, according to court records. She became a U.S. citizen at age 19.

In a declaration made by Biryukova, the couple were married on Feb. 10, 2003, in the kitchen of Metalwala's family home in Kirkland because he was facing deportation to Pakistan.

The couple began experiencing financial troubles around the time Sky was born in September 2009. They were hounded by bill collectors and faced foreclosure on a house and condominium, court records say.

Biryukova was committed to three mental-health facilities, the first time on her 29th birthday in March 2010, according to court records. But a psychologist's evaluation concluded three months later that she was not psychotic and suggested she agreed to be committed only "under spousal duress."

One psychologist who evaluated Biryukova wrote later that year that although she was dealing with "a severe form of obsessive compulsive disorder, I do not believe that interferes with her ability to be a compassionate, effective parent to her children."

According to court documents, Metalwala filed for divorce on June 4, 2010, and the proceedings have been bitter, punctuated by accusations on both sides. Both have filed for protective orders against each other, and each has had custody of the two children at times.

Biryukova accused her husband of being controlling and physically and emotionally abusive.

"The most, most recent have been his threats to kill me if I say anything against him or if in any way I proceed with action of seeking custody of our two small children," Biryukova wrote in court documents in June 2010. "I live in constant fear for my life and my children's life."

Metalwala denies the allegations of abuse and says Biryukova invented them to spite him and manipulate the divorce proceedings.

He claimed in court documents that she is mentally unstable and has obsessive compulsive disorder that prevents her from being able to keep food in the house or allow the children to sleep in their beds.

Court records also show that Child Protective Services (CPS) had investigated the couple.

In one instance, Biryukova reported her husband had left bruises on their daughter by striking her, and a social worker told the court there was evidence to support the allegations. A full CPS investigation, however, showed the complaint to be unfounded, according to Metalwala's attorney, Leslie Clay Terry III.

Terry said the mandatory mediation in which the couple participated last week was intended to bring a close to the bitter divorce. Both parties had compromised, he said, and an agreement that granted custody to Biryukova but allowed visitation with Metalwala was signed by both.

"On Friday, she called and said she'd felt pressured and wanted to void it," Terry said.

Metalwala said he is praying that his son simply is being hidden somewhere and that he is safe.

He has a message for whoever may have him.

"Please, sir or ma'am, if you have Sky, please bring him to the police, fire department or the hospital. Thank you for taking care of Sky this long, but please return him."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...issing08m.html

Why keep leaving the boy alone?

Poor little boy. It doesn't sound like he was ever loved very much. Why do they keep saying there was no forced entry when the car was left unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    Poor little boy. It doesn't sound like he was ever loved very much. Why do they keep saying there was no forced entry when the car was left unlocked?
    Because there is no good written reporting anymore. I only have one child, so I cannot relate to liking one child better than another (which I know happens), but I cannot understand hating one child so much that you continually put him in peril. He's just a baby for christ's sake, what could he have done? I can see leaving a teenager in the desert however.

Quote Originally Posted by irishkat View Post
    Because there is no good written reporting anymore. I only have one child, so I cannot relate to liking one child better than another (which I know happens), but I cannot understand hating one child so much that you continually put him in peril. He's just a baby for christ's sake, what could he have done? I can see leaving a teenager in the desert however.
    He's a boy. Maybe they only like girls. They started having financial problems when he was born. Maybe they blame him for that. Or maybe they're both just batshit crazy. I hope someone took him because they wanted a little boy to love. I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses today.

*nevermind
    My first double post
    Last edited by poppy213; 11-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Missing boy's father takes polygraph, results inconclusive

By KOMO Staff Published: Nov 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM PST Last Updated: Nov 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM PST

?Play Video
    Sky Metalwala BELLEVUE, Wash. -- The father of a missing Bellevue toddler took an hours-long polygraph test on Monday night, but the results were said to be inconclusive.

An attorney representing Solomon Metalwala said he believes the reason for the inconclusive results is his client's fatigue. Attorney Clay Terry said Metalwala is "exhausted" as he hadn't slept much since his son disappeared on Sunday. Metalwala will take another polygraph test on Tuesday to clear his name, Terry said.

declaration filed by the boys' father in February 2011, Biryukova began demonstrating "very odd behavior" in 2008 when she became obsessed with cleaning. He said she had mental health problems and was involuntarily committed to a mental clinic in 2010.

But Biryukova has claimed it is her husband who has issues. In June 2010, Biryukova filed for a protection order on behalf of herself and their two children, saying the man had a severe anger problem, was verbally abusive and that he had beat her for the first time the previous Christmas. The reason was that she had allowed Sky - just 4 months old at the time - to sleep later than expected, she said.

But Solomon Metalwala claims his wife's statements are mere symptoms of her illnesses and hold no truth. He said Biryukova "constantly attacks me in her extra long declarations," which, he believes are "designed to intentionally put me in a bad light."

"I just want my kids to be safe. I want Sky to come home," the man told KOMO News on Monday.

The couple had been together for 14 years, married since 2003 and separated in March 2010, court records show. They have since filed for divorce, and are currently in the middle of a bitter custody battle.
    Last edited by poppy213; 11-08-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: to remove stupid ads

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    He's a boy. Maybe they only like girls. They started having financial problems when he was born. Maybe they blame him for that. Or maybe they're both just batshit crazy. I hope someone took him because they wanted a little boy to love. I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses today.
    Could be he's a dick.

Of course all the Sky's I've known were girls, maybe that says something.

I love it how he says he can't understand why she left him in the car and what her reasoning would be when he was arrested for the exact same thing in 2009. I know why, they both suffer from being idiots.

an hours-long polygraph test

Questions plague hunt for Washington toddler; foul play suspected

The case of a toddler missing in Bellevue, Wash., after, his mother said, she left him unattended in a car for an hour has turned into a search through the parents' troubled marriage, with accusations of beatings, lies and mental illness vastly complicating the search for 2-year-old Sky Metalwala.

"She's done something with Sky -- I don't know what," a distraught Solomon Metalwala told reporters as police moved from searching the area of the car where Julia Biryukova said she left her son to combing the trash bins around her Redmond, Wash., apartment.

"What is she thinking? If she's not in her right mind, anything can happen," Metalwala said at a news conference at his lawyer's office.

Metalwala said he was available for a lie detector test Tuesday, a day after police said his emotionally distraught condition had left him unable to produce conclusive results Monday. Biryukova refused to take a test, sources familiar with the case said.

The case of the toddler allegedly left strapped in his car seat has gained international notoriety even in an unfortunate time when it can be hard to keep track of the various instances of missing children.

Biryukova told police that her car quit running Sunday and that she left Sky in the car at the side of the road as she walked with her 4-year-old daughter to a gas station. She said she returned about an hour later to find him gone.

But several questions have plagued the investigation. Why did the car start easily when police tried it? Why was at least one door left unlocked?

"Given the limited amount of information we have, the fact that there's really no solid leads to follow up on in regard to where he might be, absolutely, we suspect foul play," Bellevue Police Maj. Mike Johnson told KING 5 television in Seattle.

"Someone close to this family knows what happened to this child," he said.

It turns out that the child's disappearance came just two days after Biryukova sent word that she would not agree to a shared custody and visitation arrangement negotiated a week ago during a 12-hour mediation session in their contentious divorce, said her husband's lawyer, Leslie Clay Terry III.

Instead, Terry told The Times, Biryukova wanted Metalwala, whom she has accused of beating her and abusing the children, to give up any significant visiting privileges until he underwent further parenting classes.

The couple already had been ordered by the court to take 10 weeks of parenting training after leaving Sky in a vehicle in the parking lot outside a Target store in 27-degree weather for 55 minutes in December 2009. The incident was reported after a passerby found the child crying in the vehicle, according to court records.

The records show a tumultuous history, with Biryukova filing for a protection order against her husband in March 2010, at the same time they began to dissolve their 14-year marriage. She alleged then that Metalwala had beaten her and told her she should be working on the street as a prostitute; later, she accused him of harming the children as well.

A state Child Protective Services case worker initially sided with Biryukova. But Terry said the case against his client eroded when it was more thoroughly investigated, and that Metalwala passed a polygraph examiner's questions about whether he had hit or sexually abused his children.

The protection order was dismissed, he said, and Metalwala was officially allowed to see his children again, though he hadn't succeeded in doing it through much of the last year.

Metalwala has said the marriage began to disintegrate when Biryukova developed what appeared to be an obsessive-compulsive disorder that finally landed her in the hospital for a mental evaluation.

"They were very happily married and everything seemed to be going very well, and then suddenly something happened to her," Terry said. "She would clean the same thing over and over again. She got to the point where she would not let her husband and children in the house because she claimed they would make it dirty." Metalwala and the children, he said, would often have to eat dinner at a nearby restaurant.

"She wasn't even feeding them. She didn't want to cook in the house, because she didn't want the kitchen to get dirty," the lawyer said. "She threatened to kill herself. She said she had dreams of the children dying."

In 2010, he said, Biryukova was committed for a mental health evaluation, and released some time later with a doctor's conclusion that she was capable of caring for her children. It was when Metalwala filed for divorce that March and tried to get custody of the children, Terry said, that Biryukova filed for the protection order.

In court papers, Biryukova said her husband attacked her in front of her daughter.

"He became furious like I have never seen him before, he grabbed me by my hair in front of our daughter, dragged me into our hallway, threw me down on the floor and then threw me against a decorative column we have in the entrance of our home," she wrote in her application. "He continued to assault me with his feet -- by kicking me and then he took out his car keys and contrived to scratch me in any area that he could."

Terry said that although courts routinely grant such orders on a temporary basis, this one was dismissed after it was subjected to a full hearing.

Terry said his client is hoping desperately that his son can be found. "We want the child back," he said. "Although we have concerns about the validity of the story of the mother, we can't discount the fact that it may be true," he said.

"This is the important thing. Although we find the story to be extraordinary in its content, because there's a possibility that it's true, someone may have kidnapped this child, and someone else may have seen something that would give us a clue."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...-car-seat.html

Marking...this makes me sad :<

The moms last post was a Justin Bieber video.

Cops: Only mom, sis had seen missing boy recently
    'Absolutely, we suspect foul play,' officer says; mom's apartment searched

BELLEVUE, Wash. — Aside from the mother and sister of a missing Washington state toddler, no one has reported seeing the boy in the past two weeks, police said Tuesday.

Detectives have questioned relatives, family friends, neighbors — everyone close to the family of 2-year-old Sky Metalwala, said Bellevue police spokeswoman Carla Iafrate.

Police initially said Tuesday that only the mom had reported seeing the boy in the past two weeks, but they clarified at a news conference that his 4-year-old sister also told detectives the boy had been in the car.

The boy was reported missing Sunday morning in the city of 122,000 across Lake Washington from Seattle. They say the mother, Julia Biryukova, told them she was taking Sky to the hospital at the time because he wasn't feeling well.

Police have focused their efforts around the home of his mother, who told investigators she last saw him in her stalled car as she and her daughter walked away for an hour to get gas.

"Given the limited amount of information we have, the fact that there's really no solid leads to follow up on in regard to where he might be. Absolutely, we suspect foul play," Maj. Mike Johnson of the Bellevue Police Department told NBC affiliate KING5 TV . "Someone close to this family knows what happened to this child."

It wouldn't be the first time Sky Metalwala had been left alone in a car. When he was just 3 months old, court records revealed, his parents left him in their sport utility vehicle in a Target parking lot for 55 minutes on a 27-degree day. They only came out of the store to get him after police arrived and asked for the vehicle's owner to be paged.

The toddler's disappearance Sunday in Bellevue, a city of 122,000 across Lake Washington from Seattle, came at the height of a custody fight between his parents, Julia Biryukova and Solomon Metalwala. They separated in March 2010 amid back-and-forth protective orders and allegations of abuse and psychiatric problems.

Last December, a social worker determined that there was a "preponderance of evidence" that Metalwala had struck his daughter hard enough to cause bruising, court records show.

The social worker also said Sky had troubling bruises, but because the boy could not talk, it wasn't clear where he got them. However Metalwala's attorney, Leslie Clay Terry III, said Monday that the case worker had only interviewed the mother and that Child Protective Services later conducted an investigation that cleared Metalwala.

"He was exonerated completely," Terry said.

Last week, at a mandatory mediation session, a tentative agreement was hammered out that would allow Metalwala to have some visitation with Sky and his older sister, his lawyer said.

Biryukova reported that her car ran out of gas in Bellevue on Sunday morning, police said. She said she left Sky in the unlocked vehicle and walked with her daughter, who is 4, about a mile to a gas station. When she returned to the car, Sky wasn't there, she said.

Investigators searched a 20-block area and even went door to door but found no sign of him. There was no gas can at the car, police said. Investigators planned to remove the car's gas tank to see how much gas was in it, in addition to processing the vehicle for fingerprints, Officer Seth Tyler said.

Biryukova had consented to have her vehicle and home in nearby Redmond searched, but KING5 TV said she had declined to take a polygraph test.

Biryukova did not immediately return a call seeking comment. Her younger brother, Stanley Biryukov, said Julia was crying frantically when she called him Sunday afternoon and explained what had happened.

"I'm hoping they'll find the child," he said.

The older child has been placed in protective custody.

Metalwala said his estranged wife's story was bizarre: Why didn't she call for help, knock on a nearby door, or take the child with her?

"I don't understand why she would leave a little baby in the car," Metalwala said. "The whole story is puzzling."

Metalwala took a polygraph test Monday evening but the results were "inconclusive right now," his lawyer said, adding that his client was too tired to give an accurate result and would take another test on Tuesday.

In December 2009, Redmond police cited both parents for reckless endangerment at the Target parking lot. A shopper who heard the baby crying in the SUV called police, and a responding officer reported that the car felt cold.

Paged inside the store, the couple said they had left the baby in the car for 15 to 20 minutes because they didn't want to wake him up. Surveillance video of the parking lot later proved it had actually been 55 minutes.

The case was dismissed early this year after the pair completed a year of probation, 40 hours of community service and a 10-week parenting class.

The couple had been together for 14 years. He was 21 and she was a high school sophomore when they began dating, according to one of her court declarations. In another declaration, her mother, Nadia Biryukova, wrote that they married in 2003 in her kitchen just before he was to be deported to Pakistan.

In court documents filed in connection with their divorce, Julia Biryukova said their relationship deteriorated in 2008 after they bought an expensive home in Kirkland and couldn't keep up with the payments on that property and a condominium they also owned.

The couple separated in March 2010, court records show. In June 2010, the same month Metalwala filed for divorce, Biryukova, 30, filed for a protection order on behalf of herself and their two children.

She said Metalwala, 36, had a severe anger problem, was verbally abusive and that he had beat her for the first time on Christmas Day, just weeks after the incident at the Target parking lot. The reason was that she had allowed Sky to sleep later than expected, she said.

"He became furious like I have never seen him before, he grabbed me by my hair (in front of our 3? year old daughter), dragged me into our hallway, threw me down on the floor and then threw me against a decorative column we have in the entrance of our home," Biryukova wrote. "He continued to assault me with his feet — by kicking me and then he took out his car keys and continued to scratch me in any area he could."

The abuse escalated after that, with Metalwala telling her to go live on the street and work as a prostitute, she said.

"The most, most recent have been his threats to kill me if I say anything against him or if in any way I proceed with action of seeking custody of our two small children," Biryukova added. "I live in constant fear for my life and my children's life. Please investigate and help me!"

He responded that she had mental health problems and was involuntarily committed to a mental clinic in 2010.

"The accusations against him were totally false," his lawyer said.

Earlier this year a social worker reported that a doctor found her to be in good mental health and an appropriate caregiver for the children.

One psychologist who evaluated Biryukova wrote in July 2010 that though she was dealing with "a severe form of obsessive compulsive disorder, I do not believe that interferes with her ability to be a compassionate, effective parent to her children."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45208406/ns/us_news-life/

Is she in jail? If not, why?

And OMG if she had 2 weeks to come up with a story - she sucks at story-telling.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Police: Mother's car was not out of gas

The car belonging to a woman who said her 2-year-old son disappeared after she ran out of gas in Bellevue had enough gas to be driven "a considerable distance," police said Wednesday afternoon.

The car belonging to a woman who said her 2-year-old son disappeared after she ran out of gas in Bellevue had enough gas to be driven "a considerable distance," police said Wednesday afternoon.

The woman, Julia Biryukova, said she ran out of gas in Bellevue on Sunday morning and left her son, Sky Metalwala, in the unlocked car before walking with her 4-year-old daughter to a gas station.

Bellevue police Maj. Mike Johnson said an examination of the car Wednesday revealed it still had a "sufficient" amount of gas. He declined to say how far the car could be driven because the information is part of the investigation.

He said police are now trying to determine whether the car may have experienced some other problem. They plan to test drive the car on Thursday.

Earlier, Johnson said Biryukova's refusal to take a polygraph examination "looks suspicious."

Johnson said police plan to administer polygraph examinations to the people closest to the mother and son. However, Johnson said Biryukova has refused to take a polygraph examination.

"That looks suspicious, and we're puzzled by that," said Johnson, who added that Biryukova's attorney has said, "Julia is devastated and is in no condition to take a polygraph."

Johnson said the boy's father, Solomon Metawala, would take a polygraph Wednesday. He said Metalwala, the estranged husband of Biryukova, has thus far "cooperated fully."

Biryukova told police her car ran out of gas while she was driving her ill son from their Redmond home to a Bellevue hospital Sunday morning. She said she walked with her 4-year-old daughter to a gas station about a mile away to retrieve gas, leaving Sky sleeping in his car seat. When she returned, she said Sky was gone.

"You're on the way to the hospital, why would you leave your kid in the car? It certainly is suspicious," Johnson said.

Police said the car started when initially checked by officers, who did not find a gas can nearby. A gas station clerk told police he couldn't give Biryukova any gas because she didn't have a container.

While Biryukova owns a cellphone, she told investigators she left the phone in her purse at her apartment Sunday morning, he said.

Attorney speaks out

Biryukova, who hasn't been interviewed by police since Sunday evening, is answering questions through her attorney, Veronica Freitas, Johnson said.

"It's certainly not ideal from a law-enforcement perspective, but it's the situation we find ourselves in," Johnson said. "... She is concerned about protecting her interests; she's hired an attorney, and we're being respectful of that."

Freitas sharply challenged the police characterization of Biryukova as uncooperative and said the mother has helped police in every way possible.

"She gave them her home, car, computer, cellphone. She talked to them for hours. What else is she supposed to do?" Freitas said Wednesday.

Freitas said she advised Biryukova not to take the polygraph test because Biryukova is emotionally overwhelmed and the tests are notoriously unreliable.

She told reporters to turn the question around and ask police what police officers do when they are accused of wrongdoing. She said they refuse to make a statement until they've turned to their police union and gotten a high-priced lawyer.

Even then, investigators sometime have to wait months to question officers directly, she said.

Johnson said police also plan to use DNA swabs to eliminate possible suspects. They plan to take samples from Biryukova's car and apartment to determine who may have come in contact with Sky.

Johnson said police have a lot of leads to follow, although he added that none of the leads were "hot."

"The people who are closest to Sky and Julia are the people who know what happened to Sky," Johnson said.

Police have spoken to nearly every resident of Biryukova's sprawling Redmond apartment complex, and one neighbor recalled seeing Sky about two weeks ago, the last reported sighting of the toddler, Johnson said.

"Julia and her children led a very reclusive lifestyle and it was not uncommon for her not to be seen for periods of time," he said.

Girl's custody at issue

Meanwhile, during a court hearing in Kent on Wednesday, a court commissioner ruled the couple's 4-year-old daughter, Maile, will remain in foster care. She was taken into protective custody by Child Protective Services (CPS) on Sunday after her brother went missing.

The commissioner said she was concerned because the child's father had not seen his children since December and because there is a valid protection order limiting his contact with the children. The couple had been involved in a contentious custody battle before Sky disappeared.

Attorneys for Metawala and Biryukova had asked the court commissioner to place Maile with Metawala or one of his relatives.

However, CPS caseworker Heidi Stull said the agency had concerns about allegations against both parents. She said the agency was also concerned about the child's placement because her brother remains missing.

Stull said CPS officials learned Biryukova has left her children alone in the past. She also cited an earlier incident in 2009 when the parents left Sky, then 3 months old, alone in their car in a Target store parking lot. The parents were cited for reckless endangerment.

Biryukova did not appear at Wednesday's hearing.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...issing10m.html

Police: Mother's car was not out of gas
    I saw that one coming a mile away. I wish every bitch who killed her kid would be as dumb as this broad.
    Lurker checking in.

Sky Metalwala Case Holds Strange Similarities To 'Law & Order' Episode, Police Say

Washington state authorities are investigating a possible link between the disappearance of 2-year-old Sky Metalwala and the popular TV show "Law & Order: SVU."

Investigators say Sky's mother, Julia Biryukova, may have taken a page from an episode of the crime drama -- an episode that actually aired the day before Sky disappeared. In it, a woman in the midst of a divorce claimed she left her young son strapped in the backseat of her car when she went in a store to buy diapers. When she came out, the car and her son were gone.

The fictional Halloween kidnapping case ends when police connect the parents to the child's disappearance and recover his remains on a remote beach.

Police in Bellevue know about the possible connection and said they are investigating.

"I've heard about the 'Law and Order: SVU' episode that has great similarity to this case. I heard that it aired Saturday, the day before the disappearance of Sky," Bellevue Police Maj. Mike Johnson said.

"I know that there are several folks up in the operations center of the command post that have taken a look at that episode, and have commented that it is strikingly similar in nature," he added.

Biryukova has claimed that her son was ill Sunday morning and she was driving him from their Redmond home to a Bellevue hospital when her car ran out of gas. Biryukova told police Sky was asleep in his car seat, so she took her 4-year-old daughter and walked to a gas station about one mile away. There, she called a friend to come pick them up. When they got back to the car approximately an hour later, the child was missing, Biryukova said.

On Wednesday, Johnson said the story does not add up.

"[If] you're on the way to the hospital, why would you leave your kid in the car? It certainly is suspicious," he said.

Authorities also found it bizarre that Biryukova's car started when it was checked by officers. According to police, mechanics conducting a forensic exam of the car yesterday found plenty of gas inside the car's fuel tank.

"There was a sufficient amount of gas in that vehicle to run for a considerable distance," Johnson said. "What we need to consider, though, is whether or not there may have been another mechanical problem with the car that made it stop, and I don't have the answer to that yet."

Authorities have also revealed Biryukova has refused to take a polygraph examination.

"To be quite honest, that looks suspicious and we're puzzled by that," Johnson said.

Biryukova's attorney, Veronica Freitas, did not respond to a request for comment from The Huffington Post.

Johnson said Sky?s father, Biryukova's estranged husband Solomon Metalwala, has "cooperated fully" and voluntarily took a polygraph examination.

Despite their suspicions, investigators said they are not ready to name any suspects or persons of interest in the case. However, Johnson did say Biryukova's story "is falling apart day to day."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1086268.html

in this article it says she didn't have her phone,purse or money.

Johnson revealed that Biryukova said she was taking the boy to a hospital because he didn't feel well – even though she left her purse, wallet and identification at home. It wasn't clear how she expected to get gas for the car or have her son treated without the items, he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1086033.html

Thread Information