Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hana Williams (13) was forced to live outside by her adoptive parents, and eventually starved to death

Hana Williams (13) was forced to live outside by her adoptive parents, and eventually starved to death

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. -- The parents of 13-year-old Hanna Williams were taken into custody Thursday evening accused of starving their daughter and keeping her locked outside.

Hanna Williams was found dead in her backyard on May 12, naked and wrapped in a sheet. She had been living with her adoptive parents since coming to America from Ethiopia in 2008. After months of investigation, her adopted parents have been charged in connection with her death.

Skagit County Prosecutor Richard Weyrich said the ranked among the worst he's ever prosecuted. Larry and Carri Williams were charged Thursday with homicide by abuse.

In the charging documents, Carri Williams talked about how much she disliked her two adopted Ethiopian children. A 10-year-old boy and Hanna.

"She died of hypothermia and you know part of that is having lost so much weight over the past year, months...she had lost 30 pounds," Weyrich said.

According to charging documents her adopted parents, Carri and Larry Williams starved her for days, put her in a locked closet, shower room and forced her to sleep outside in the barn in the cold. She wasn't allowed to use the bathroom in the house, instead a porta-potty behind the barn. In addition, Hanna was struck daily with a plumbing tool, a tube with a round ball on the end.

"The constant striking and not speaking to her would have different effects on a person," said Weyrich.

Specifically, last Christmas when Hanna was forced to watch the family celebrate Christmas from outside and only let in when her parents had guests.

All of the William's biological children and adopted son have been removed from the home. In the documents, a book entitled "To Train a Child Up," was referenced. Weyrich says it includes punishment techniques the Williams' mimicked. There have been other child abuse cases linked to the book across the country.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/Ethiopian-ad...130852443.html

EDIT:Oops.. Misread: She died of Hypothermia, not being starved to death. But the starving contributed.
    Last edited by boogieman; 09-30-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Assholes. She could have starved to death in Ethiopia. I wonder how they came to adopt kids from there, and why she hated them. Poor little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

After Hana's death, CPS convinced a judge to pull Hana's eight brothers and sister - ages seven to 17 - from their Sedro-Woolley home. Those children are all now in temporary foster care, including one other sibling adopted from Ethiopia. The parents have requested a hearing to fight to get their children back.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/130830448.html

A Skagit County couple was put behind bars on September 29, charged with murdering one of their adopted children and brutally assaulting the other.

On May 12, 13-year-old Hanna Williams died of hypothermia after she was found unconscious in the back yard of the family`s Sedro-Woolley home.

Prosecutors said they wanted to make sure they had a solid case before they brought charges. That happened late this afternoon.

Larry and Carrie Williams were both charged with one count of murder by abuse for the death of Hanna, and one count of first degree assault of a child, for a pattern of assault against their ten-year-old adopted son. According to court documents, they caused their son physical pain or agony that was equivalent to torture.

At the Williams? home on September 29, an angry man believed to be the children?s grandfather refused to comment about the arrest of Larry and Carrie.

Court documents paint a horrific existence for the two children adopted from Ethiopia.

When emergency crews got to the house the night Hanna died, they found she had a large lump on her head and several fresh red bloody markings on her hips, knees, elbows and a face. The back of her legs and thighs had bruised or scarred markings.

http://www.abugidainfo.com/?p=18897
    Last edited by deeply shaded; 09-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Hana Grace-Rose Williams came to Washington state from Ethiopia in 2008 with ringworm, cold sores, parasites and hepatitis B. But none of those things killed her.

Instead, Skagit County authorities say, 13-year-old Hana died because her adoptive parents chronically starved her, abused her and left her outside on a cold May night with inadequate clothing.

On Thursday, more than four months after her death from hypothermia, Carri and Larry Williams, of Sedro-Woolley, were arrested and charged with homicide by abuse in connection with the death of their adopted daughter. They remained in the Skagit County Jail Thursday night on bail of $500,000 each.
    Skagit County Prosecutor Rich Weyrich said in charging papers the couple engaged in a pattern of assault or torture on Hana.

The couple repeatedly denied her food, locked her in a dark closet and beat her with a long plastic tube, according to an affidavit from the Skagit County sheriff's office.
    They also made her sleep in a barn, shower outside with a garden hose and even sit outside while the family celebrated Christmas inside.

If guests came over, the affidavit says, Hana was allowed to sit at the table but was given only bread to eat.

Hana lost nearly 30 pounds in the last two years of her life, and her thinness meant her body wasn't able to retain enough heat that night in May, according to an autopsy report. Hana died May 12 when the temperature dipped to 42 degrees.

A report on her death concluded she'd died from "a culmination of chronic starvation caused by a parent's intentional food restriction, severe neglect, physical and emotional abuse and stunning endangerment."
    Hana had been adopted through an international agency in 2008 along with a 10-year-old boy, also from Ethiopia.

Prosecutors on Thursday also charged the adoptive parents with assault of a child in the first degree in connection with their treatment of the 10-year-old boy. The boy is deaf, according to court documents.
    Both children were treated differently from the couple's six biological children, who ranged in age from 7 to 17, documents allege.

For instance, both were disciplined for being "rebellious," one family member told investigators. The punishment included eating outside, away from the family, and having cold leftovers topped with frozen vegetables.

Another person told investigators that Carri Williams locked up the food and served only small portions, at times withholding food from her adopted children.

The children were all home-schooled in a gated community on about 5.6 acres, court papers say.
    "The house is exceptionally clean and organized and did not have the appearance that eight children lived in this house," Detective Theresa Luvera wrote in the affidavit.

One person told investigators the couple had a book called, "To Train Up A Child," which teaches parents to switch their children with a plastic tube, starting at the age of 1. It also advocates putting children in cold-water baths for toilet training or putting them outside in cold weather, having them miss meals and sleep on the floor as punishment, the affidavit says.

The book, written by Michael and Debbie Pearl, is offered on Amazon.com for $7.95 but receives many negative reviews, such as, "I can't believe Amazon.com is allowing this book to be sold on their website. It encourages child abuse! This book teaches parents to treat their children worse than dogs!"

When Hana was locked in the closet, one person told authorities, the parents played the Bible on tape and Christian music.

The Williamses told detectives that Hana had become increasingly rebellious and on the night of her death refused to come inside the house. She began throwing herself on the ground and pretending she couldn't walk, they said.

The mother told authorities she found her daughter face down with mud in her mouth, not breathing.
    Other sources told investigators that Carri Williams complained about her adopted daughter and seemed happier after she died.

In her online funeral notice, Hana was described as a "very pleasant young girl with a great personality and a beautiful smile."

It said she liked knitting and crocheting, reading, drawing, playing soccer and riding her bicycle. After her death, the couple's seven other children were placed in foster care.
    The couple is likely to be arraigned next week, Weyrich said. If convicted, the Williamses face potential life sentences, court papers say.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...3_hana30m.html

WTF? Charge every asshole who knew about this and didn't intervene, too.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Very Christian of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

How the hell do people like this even get the opportunity to adopt these kids?? Seriously, do they just hand the kids over?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    How the hell do people like this even get the opportunity to adopt these kids?? Seriously, do they just hand the kids over?
    Not being gay. Those are the only people you need to keep away from children, duh.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Everything they did was horrible. They left her outside and she had to watch everyone else celebrate Christmas? Just that part makes me want to cry. Everything else they did...I don't even know what to say. These are awful parents and horrible human beings. Makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

And their friends. Don't forget their horrible friends who now have so much to say about how she was treated. I want to beat them with a hammer.

Why in the hell would you adopt not one but two children so you could treat them that way? I can almost understand treating a "natural" kid that way first... after all you might not have wanted the kid in the first place... (not that that would make it OK) but children you took into your home just to torture?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

They wanted the check that they came along with?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    This poor child moved from one hell to another. Hurts my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    They wanted the check that they came along with?
    If it was a foreign adoption, then it was most likely private. Which means they were the ones paying to have the children.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post

If it was a foreign adoption, then it was most likely private. Which means they were the ones paying to have the children.
    Agreed. I don't think it's likely they came with a check. In fact, they probably cost a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post

Yeah. I would be much less shocked (but no less appalled) if this were a foster situation... but it costs a bundle to do overseas adoption.

About 15,000 plus travel expenses and misc. fees.

http://www.hopeadoptionagency.org/fees/
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

How horrible. She was such a beautiful little girl. I will never understand why that book stays in circulation and parents keep reading it.

I also can not wrap my mind bringing a child here and treating them so horribly. My husband and I looked into adoption from Syberia (we were told we could never have children) and adoption is very expensive. So I just can't understand why someone wouldn't put their whole heart into it.

I also dislike when I read about child abuse and people come of the wood work with "stories" of what they witnessed. I would have gotten that child help when all she had was bread to eat....while others had a full meal. Just so awful

The fundamentalist attitude of “spare the rod, spoil the child” is what’s a work here. You have to “train up a child”. Beat the rebellion out of them. They’re all born with Original Sin and all. Sickening. The tenets of this book are horrifying. I would never treat my dog the way these people treat kids is not saying enough. NO sentient being should be treated in this manner. Hitting a kid with a plumbing tool…really?

What the fuck is wrong with people? Eurgh. I don't even know what to say. Poor girl

http://www.goskagit.com/news/local_n...a4bcf887a.html

Williams Trial: Mother guilty on 3 counts, father on 2

(Sept. 9, 2013) MOUNT VERNON -- A Sedro-Woolley-area couple is guilty of all but one charge against them in their adopted daughter's death and the abuse of their adopted son, a jury found Monday.

Larry and Carri Williams were both convicted of first-degree manslaughter in Hana Williams' death, and of first-degree assault of a child for abusing the younger boy they adopted from Ethiopia at the same time as the young teenage girl.

Carri Williams also was convicted of homicide by abuse in the death of the teenage girl, who witnesses say was starved and tortured. The jury could not reach a decision on that charge for Larry Williams.

The couple, who cast blame at each other during the trial, shared a look before the jury entered the courtroom in what may be the last time they see each other for a long while. As they have throughout the trial, they sat at different tables a few feet away from each other and never spoke to each other in court.

Skagit County Superior Court Judge Susan Cook has final say on sentencing, which could be several weeks away.

After the ruling, Carri Williams, who had been free on bail during the trial, was handcuffed and taken into custody. She was cuffed by Skagit County Sheriff?s Detective Theresa Luvera, who interviewed the Williams children after Hana?s death. Later, Luvera hugged two state children?s workers who had been involved in the investigation.

Cook set Larry Williams' bail at $750,000 and Carri Williams? bail at $1.5 million.

Each charge is a Class A felony, carrying a maximum sentence of life in prison and/or a $50,000 fine. Skagit County Prosecutor Rich Weyrich is recommending 14 to 18 years for Larry Williams and 27 to 37 years for Carri Williams. Larry Williams spent almost two years in jail while the case was pending and could get credit for serving that time.

The jury started deliberating Thursday after a seven-week trial that Weyrich said was the longest he could remember in his 35 years in Skagit County.

When she released them from duty Monday, Cook thanked the jurors and told them, "Take care of yourselves."

At that, Larry and Carri Williams were led away.

Weyrich said he is undecided for now whether to re-try Larry Williams on the homicide-by-abuse charge, though Williams' lawyer Rachel Forde said she doubts it will happen.

An appeal is likely, lawyers for both parties said.

"That, you can count on," said Skagit County Public Defender Wes Richards, who represented Carri Williams. Richards and co-counsel Laura Riquelme declined to comment on anything else.

While Forde wouldn?t be assigned to represent Larry Williams in an appeal, she said she is confident it would go his way.

"He had to have caused Hana's death, and there's just insufficient evidence that he did," she said, calling it a "tragic accident" that her client is "completely heartbroken" about. No one intended for Hana to die, she said.

She also spoke up for her client's wife, echoing arguments defense lawyers made throughout the trial: the Williamses were bad parents, even abusive parents, but not criminals.

A key question in the trial had been Hana's age. The charge of homicide by abuse applies only if she was younger than 16 when she died.

Her adoption paperwork indicates she would have been about 13 at the time, but her parents said they thought she was older, and various experts who examined her body were unable to definitively place her age below 16.

Still, jurors found they still had enough evidence to convict Carri Williams of homicide by abuse.

Spectators have filled the courtroom benches most days of the trial, including some family and friends of the Williamses sitting behind their defense teams.

Members of Seattle's Ethiopian community drove up almost every day to sit on the prosecutors' side in silent support of Hana.

One who came often was Metassibia Mulugeta, who called the case "heart-wrenching and unbelievable."

After hearing the adopted boy testify one day, Mulugeta said he seemed to be thriving since leaving the Williams home.

"I don't care about the testimony," she said. "He's alive."

Hana's death gave her eight adoptive siblings freedom, Mulugeta said.

"Deprivation of food. Deprivation of socialization, within the family. Deprivation of sleep. Deprivation of total freedom. I mean, (Hana) was under control in every sense, and they both were," Mulugeta said. " ... How long could she have lived and endured that?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    And their friends. Don't forget their horrible friends who now have so much to say about how she was treated. I want to beat them with a hammer.
    Seriously. Nobody contacted the authorities over what was clearly child abuse, as she lost 30 lbs and was forced to sleep outside. They all want to talk about it now, but where were they when that child was dying? Fuck them.

I have heard of that book "To Train Up A Child" in relation to another case, but I don't remember what it was. Horrible asinine shit.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

More Christians practicing on how to be a good Christian.

Listen, if no one cares when a crazy noodle walks in and executes children with a gun, no one cares about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shins View Post
    More Christians practicing on how to be a good Christian.

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this post.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

I am not saying that friends etc didnt know what was going on, but could the "person" they elude to be the eldest, who was 17?

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    I am not saying that friends etc didnt know what was going on, but could the "person" they elude to be the eldest, who was 17?
    They keep saying "one person" this and "one person" that, which could be mutiple people or just one. And sure, it could be one or more of the other children in the home.

how could they treat anything that expensive so horribly?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thread Information