Thread: William DiSilvestro - missing since 7 February 2011

http://www.middletownjournal.com/new...n-1150294.html

It was bitter cold in February the last time William DiSilvestro’s family saw him. As the days warmed, leads trickled in about his whereabouts, keeping sheriff’s detectives busy and the family hopeful.
    But a season later, Butler County Sheriff’s Lt. Mike Craft is realistic about the chances of finding “Billy D” alive and well.

“Because of the time that has passed, I do fear the worst,” he said, adding detectives have combed rural areas, including the banks of the Great Miami River, and have even conducted polygraph tests on persons of interest, but nothing has led to DiSilvestro.

Debbie Estes, his mother, is a former bartender in the New Miami and Hamilton area, who has gathered an army of friends to help look for her son.

“I have plastered his face everywhere,” she said last week. “I have him all over the Internet, I made a YouTube video ... I have even been to psychic.”

The 52-year-old mother is realistic. Estes knows it is not likely her son is alive. He has a bad liver, battled alcoholism, and is prone to seizures, which required medication, and had tried to commit suicide in the past.

“I have to find him, I can’t go on with my life if I don’t,” Estes said.

The mother does hang onto hope that perhaps her son chose to disappear and doesn’t want to be found or that his seizures have left him with no memory of who he is or how to get home.

“When Billy was working construction, he worked all over and it wouldn’t be unusual for me not to see him for months,” Estes said. “But that is not the way he was lately. He was drinking again. But he always called, eventually.”

DiSilvestro was last seen the day after Super Bowl Sunday in the 200 block of Ross Avenue, where he was dropped off by his grandmother. He left his cellphone at a friend’s house and had no money or medication, according to his family.

Several weeks after DiSilvestro was reported missing, searchers fanned out in Hamilton neighborhoods knocking on doors and passing out fliers featuring DiSilvestro’s picture and notice of a $500 reward.

Craft said detectives did get calls with information, but investigation led to dead ends.

New tip leads to massive search for missing Butler County man
    BUTLER COUNTY ?

A tip led Butler County Sheriff?s detectives on a massive search Wednesday, digging up a wooded area near New Miami in search of William DiSilvestro, who vanished more than four years ago.

But after a five-hour hunt with cadaver dogs, no sign of the missing Hamilton man was found at the St. Clair Twp. location pointed out by a confidential informant, according to Butler County Sheriff?s Office Capt. Mike Craft.

Debbie Estes, DiSilvestro?s mother, who has made it her life?s work to find her son, said she was told Thursday about the new lead. It is tough to handle that there was not resolution, she said.

?I just want to find him,? Estes said. ?But I know that is just one phase. I have seen that with Dave Markham (father of Katelyn Markham of Fairfield whose slaying remains unsolved). I have to know what happened. And it doesn?t matter how bad, I want to see it, everything.?

Estes has made it her life?s mission, when not spending time with her seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild, to hang fliers, post photos and videos on social media, plaster her son?s photo on benches and search on her own for her son, who would now be 32 years old.

?You know I still expect to see him come through the door, but the longer this goes on, I know that probably is not going to happen,? Estes said. ?If he were out there, I just don?t think he would do this to his family. Not contact us.?

It was bitter cold during the early morning hours of Feb. 7, 2011, when ?Billy D? left a Rossville neighborhood house after a party and was never seen again. DiSilvestro was 28 when he was last seen in the 200 block of Ross Avenue. He left his cellphone at a friend?s house and had no money, according to his family.

Sheriff?s detectives have followed multiple tips in their search for DiSilvestro. In July 2011, a rescue team spent two days searching murky canal water on Joe Nuxhall Boulevard. An inmate passed a tip that DiSilvestro had been killed, put in a barrel and thrown in the water. But the search only turned up hubcaps and discarded furniture.

Also in 2011, a retired Chicago police officer called detectives after seeing DiSilvestro?s face on a missing ad in a trade magazine. The man thought he saw DiSilvestro at a gas station between the Florida state line and Tampa, but he could not pinpoint the location.

Before her son?s disappearance, Estes, 56 was an avid gardener, a competitive pool player and a bartender in Hamilton and New Miami. Now she says she has trouble concentrating on anything other than finding her son and helping the families of other missing people.

Estes contributed to the book ?Letters to our Missing,? which features poems and letters from families across the country with missing lived ones. On Saturday, about 50 people gathered at Columbia Bowling Lanes in Hamilton and each released four balloons in Billy D?s memory.

Last week when remains were found in the the Great Miami River in Hamilton County, Estes held her breath, as she does anytime remains are found in the region. She soon learned the remains were not those of her son.

?I always think maybe this time is my time,? Estes said. ?It?s really hard.?

Anyone with information about DiSilvestro?s whereabouts is asked to call the sheriff?s office at 513-785-1300.
    http://m.journal-news.com/news/news/...-butler/nj9XT/

Thread Information