Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: James Hackemer (29) was killed after fall from Ride of Steel in Buffalo

Wait for it..... wait for it...

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    Sorry PCP, but the Superman Death Coaster looks way better than your Titan ride.

I used to LOVE 6 Flags, but the two around here are SUPER ghetto. The people there are complete trash. I couldn't be paid to go there anymore.
    Chaunce and I go there.

I might have missed it but what is the height requirement on this ride? He probably didn't cut it, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

yeah...i dunno about the places in the bay area but magic mountain was super ghetto when i went last. then again, it could have been ghetto when i was younger and i just didn't notice it before. i love rollercoasters.

that said, one of the scariest rides ever was the high roller on the top of the stratosphere in vegas. the big shot was nothing compared to this.

from what i hear, it's no longer there but they've replaced it with even more frightening rides that hang off the side of the building.
    Last edited by whackjob; 07-12-2011 at 10:01 AM.

No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

That's a different coaster at DL, the Minderaser. Probably their second best coaster. The main difference is that that one goes upside down and your feet hang out. Some of the articles have some pics of the Superman/Ride of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    And the lawyer, Larry Bendesky, said he was looking into whether anyone was responsible for the girl's death.
    Since then, the couple has switched law firms.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    What kind of a seatbelt is it? Does it go across the chest, or is it one strap across the lap?
    It goes across your lap. There's nothing to secure you from the waist up. So, if you have no legs you could probably slip out quite easily, because you do get lifted from your seat when you go over the first hill (which is super high).

Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    Sorry PCP, but the Superman Death Coaster looks way better than your Titan ride.

I used to LOVE 6 Flags, but the two around here are SUPER ghetto. The people there are complete trash. I couldn't be paid to go there anymore.
    Having worked at a theme park, I often contemplated why all the guests and a good chunk of the staff feel the need to behave like animals as soon as they get inside of the gates. I figure a large portion of the people came in trashy. But the rest of them are reduced to base behavior due to the fact that it's hot, crowded, and because they are spending a crap load of money and therefore feel they have the right to tear it up and act wild. It's like Lord of the Flies up in there. And the children. Oh, the children.

Sorry for the triple post. *noob shame*

Quote Originally Posted by robocommie View Post
    It goes across your lap. There's nothing to secure you from the waist up. So, if you have no legs you could probably slip out quite easily, because you do get lifted from your seat when you go over the first hill (which is super high).
    Jeez. I totally get that the employees are sometimes young and hungover and maybe not bright, but wouldnt it be common sense for all parties involved to see that this was not going to work? James/his friends/family/employees/anyone watching him get on?
    The family says they dont blame anyone. i would probably be blaming someone

idk, it kind of reminds me of the lady who wore her burka on a Go-Kart.

darien lake's website says the height requirement for this ride is 54" or taller:

http://godarienlake.com/rides/thrill-rides/

Ride of Steel – Currently Closed

One of the tallest coasters east of the Mississippi, climbing approximately 208 feet and reaching speeds in excess of 70 mph. Must be 54″ or taller. Guests who are 76″ and above or with certain body proportions may not be able to ride.
    Please use the test seat outside the station house line.

Yeah, there's definitely a height requirement. I think they just ignored it because they didn't want to be mean or discriminate.

I'd be blaming too, Hockeygirl. I'm astounded by his family's good attitude. I'm sure they'll still sue, as they will should.
    For sure, it was very foolish for those ride attendants to let him on. Most of the blame should be assigned to them and the park for not emphasizing safety standards enough. IMO there should be extensive training and even refresher seminars but instead training is minimal at best. I hate to say it buuut...he and his family should have thought twice about him getting on that coaster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    darien lake's website says the height requirement for this ride is 54" or taller:

http://godarienlake.com/rides/thrill-rides/
    maybe the dude had a good prosthetic...

Quote Originally Posted by robocommie View Post
    Yeah, there's definitely a height requirement. I think they just ignored it because they didn't want to be mean or discriminate.

I'd be blaming too, Hockeygirl. I'm astounded by his family's good attitude. I'm sure they'll still sue, as they will should.
    For sure, it was very foolish for those ride attendants to let him on. Most of the blame should be assigned to them and the park for not emphasizing safety standards enough. IMO there should be extensive training and even refresher seminars but instead training is minimal at best. I hate to say it buuut...he and his family should have thought twice about him getting on that coaster as well.
    Can you really have them assume responsibility when they make $7.50 an hour to push buttons on a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    maybe the dude had a good prosthetic...
    i believe he did. at least the picture i saw of him with both prosthetics (that's not the right plural...), they appeared to be pretty nice.

i was just answering someone's question about a height requirement. but also, rides with a lap restraint also require lower limbs for the restraint to work properly, right?

It said in the other article that he wasnt wearing his prosthetics when he got on the ride

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    i believe he did. at least the picture i saw of him with both prosthetics (that's not the right plural...), they appeared to be pretty nice.

i was just answering someone's question about a height requirement. but also, rides with a lap restraint also require lower limbs for the restraint to work properly, right?
    It was mine, thank you. Doubt this dude was 54 inches with no legs, but the operators probably let him get on because they didn't want to get yelled at for discrimination. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    but the operators probably let him get on because they didn't want to get yelled at for discrimination. Seriously.
    Truth! One article said that amusement park goes out of their way to be military friendly so people were speculating he got what they thought was preferential treatment

Can you really have them assume responsibility when they make $7.50 an hour to push buttons on a ride?
    Nope. As I said before, working there totally sucks. Management is terrible. I place the lion's share of the blame on PARC (the owners of DL), DL's local management, and HR--who should have worried less about starting wars with employees for petty crap like putting stickers on our nametags and more about TRAINING.

By the same token, isn't James also partially responsible for his death? I'm sure he was able to read the height requirement and judge whether or not he was secure in the restraints. There has to be some personal responsibility, and perhaps that's the angle his family is looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by MBPearls View Post
    By the same token, isn't James also partially responsible for his death? I'm sure he was able to read the height requirement and judge whether or not he was secure in the restraints. There has to be some personal responsibility, and perhaps that's the angle his family is looking at.
    Um yes. Except
    he described the aftermath of the attack, a hazy period in which he lost tremendous amounts of blood, had two strokes and was in a coma for six weeks at a series of hospitals.

The blood loss caused brain damage. Afterward, he had to relearn to eat and speak.
    I wonder if he had regained all of his cognitive abilities? The articles I've seen don't say, but many people don't after something like this.

Also, has anyone considered suicide by roller coaster?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

When we were at Universal a few weeks ago I remember reading the signs and thinking it was odd that they mentioned on most of them that prosthetics should be removed. So it probably said that on the sign, but still had a height requirement. Too bad he obeyed one rule but ignored the other :-/ Donna knew this guy.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Yeah I knew James. I heard about this accident on Saturday but didn't find out it was him until tonight, on the news. I even reactivated my facebook real quick to make sure. Sure enough, I got to his page and there were all the RIPs.

Fyi, his facebook name is Jmytom Hackemer, not James Hackemer, in case you're looking.

Also, I apparently know the park spokeswoman, too. I didn't know Cassie Okon worked there. Weird.

Anyway, I feel terrible for his whole family, and for the teenagers that let him on the ride. Even before I knew it was James, I was like, they probably saw that he was a war veteran that got his legs blown off and didn't know how to say no, you don't meet the height requirement.

Stories like this make me thank god that even though my husband was injured in Iraq he never lost any body parts, though he came close. RIP Soldier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Shut up, dick.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Also, has anyone considered suicide by roller coaster?
    Now that's a scary thought. Seems there would be a lot of variables in something like that. I mean, I get surprised by a lot of suicide methods because if you fail, you're going to have a ton more issues than you did going into the attempt. Seems like you'd want to do something that is surefire way to die or that won't leave you in a Terry Schiavo state forever.

This was not a suicide.

Thread Information