Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shaiunna Hare (2) killed by python

Shaiunna Hare (2) killed by python

Two years ago, a python snake killed a toddler as she slept in her crib in Sumter County.
    Now, the girl's mother Jaren Hare and her boyfriend Charles Darnell are about to go on trial for the child's death.
    The death of 2-year-old Shaiunna Hare shocked Central Florida and made national headlines.
    With the trial nearing next week, people in the community are getting frustrated.
    “You take a small child that age, there is no way that child could've moved the snake, gotten the snake off of them,” said Lisa Johnson. “So there is going to be a lot of emotion. I'm afraid the courthouse is going to be swamped.”
    Prosecutors said the Burmese python had escaped from its cage several times before it wrapped around Shaiunna and killed her.
    Hare and Darnell could face up to 50 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...heads-to-trial
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Yeah, there was one because I commented on it a long time ago with my old name because they bought food for the snake (when it was fed) at me ex-husbands pet store that he worked for...but I just looked for it and didn't find it.

The parents have been found guilty: http://www.watoday.com.au/environmen...ml?from=smh_ft

Parents found guilty after hungry python kills toddler

A central Florida couple has been convicted in the death of a toddler strangled in her crib by a pet python.

A jury found 21-year-old mother Jaren Hare and her live-in boyfriend, 34-year-old Charles Jason Darnell, guilty on Thursday of manslaughter, third-degree murder and child neglect.

They each face 35 years in prison. Both previously rejected plea agreements for 10 years in prison.

Authorities say an 2.44-metre albino Burmese python wrapped itself around two-year-old Shianna Hare's head on July 1, 2009.

Darnell testified that he discovered the snake missing from its terrarium and went into the girl's room, where he found it on the child with bite marks on her head.

He stabbed the snake until he was able to pry the child away.

Testimony revealed the snake had not been fed for a month before the attack.

Defence lawyers argued that the death was an accident, and there was no way to know that the tame pet would kill a child.

The Humane Society of the United States said that including this death, at least 12 people have been killed in the US by pet pythons since 1980, including five children.

Burmese pythons are not native to Florida, but they easily survive in the state and can reach a length of eight metres and weigh more than 90 kilograms.

Some owners have freed pythons into the wild and a population of them has taken hold in the Everglades National Park. One killed an alligator and then burst when it tried to eat it.

Scientists also speculate a number of Burmese pythons escaped in 1992 from pet shops battered by Hurricane Andrew and have been reproducing since.
    Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 07-16-2011 at 02:13 AM.

I don't understand how the snake escaped from its enclosure. My last flatmate had a pet snake. He also owned two cats. My flatmate would often go for a month without feeding it (according to him this is normal). Sometimes the cats would sleep near the snake enclosure and I would see the snake striking at the wire top, trying to get out to eat a cat, but it couldn't push up the top.

I don't think that they should have been found guilty. To me, it sounds like a bizarre and awful accident. They should have ensured the safety of the enclosure. But, I don't think that anything they did sounds malicious or purposeful. I very much doubt that there is any chance of recidivism. Their punishment is the guilt that they will live with for the rest of their lives. Isn't that enough? It seems so harsh to send them to jail for decades because their pet killed their child.

Often, children are killed or maimed by the family dog. I'm sure that somewhere, at some point, someone has been charged and sent to prison because their dog killed their child. But, as far as I can remember, when I read a news story about someone's dog killing their child, the parents don't end up doing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    I don't understand how the snake escaped from its enclosure. My last flatmate had a pet snake. He also owned two cats. My flatmate would often go for a month without feeding it (according to him this is normal). Sometimes the cats would sleep near the snake enclosure and I would see the snake striking at the wire top, trying to get out to eat a cat, but it couldn't push up the top.

I don't think that they should have been found guilty. To me, it sounds like a bizarre and awful accident. They should have ensured the safety of the enclosure. But, I don't think that anything they did sounds malicious or purposeful. I very much doubt that there is any chance of recidivism.
    If only we hadn't lost the earlier thread. IIRC There was more to it than just the snake getting loose. It had happened before, people had warned them yadayada. I remember thinking that someone wanted that child dead and that the snake was a handy weapon. But I could have seen it on Law and Order.

Anyway,
    A jury found 21-year-old mother Jaren Hare and her live-in boyfriend, 34-year-old Charles Jason Darnell, guilty on Thursday of manslaughter, third-degree murder and child neglect.

They each face 35 years in prison. Both previously rejected plea agreements for 10 years in prison.
    Too bad that whomever prosecuted them didn't handle the Casey Anthony case.

Of course, they may be paying for Casey's crime. I hate to be on the next Florida jury that doesn't convict in a kids death.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    If only we hadn't lost the earlier thread. IIRC There was more to it than just the snake getting loose. It had happened before, people had warned them yadayada. I remember thinking that someone wanted that child dead and that the snake was a handy weapon. But I could have seen it on Law and Order.

Anyway,

Too bad that whomever prosecuted them didn't handle the Casey Anthony case.

Of course, they may be paying for Casey's crime. I hate to be on the next Florida jury that doesn't convict in a kids death.
    I get confused with real life stories thanks to L&O

I don't think that they should have been found guilty. To me, it sounds like a bizarre and awful accident. They should have ensured the safety of the enclosure. But, I don't think that anything they did sounds malicious or purposeful. I very much doubt that there is any chance of recidivism. Their punishment is the guilt that they will live with for the rest of their lives. Isn't that enough? It seems so harsh to send them to jail for decades because their pet killed their child.

Often, children are killed or maimed by the family dog. I'm sure that somewhere, at some point, someone has been charged and sent to prison because their dog killed their child. But, as far as I can remember, when I read a news story about someone's dog killing their child, the parents don't end up doing time.
    I had a 6 foot argentine boa. She was STRONG. I used to put heavy ass cinderblocks on top of her cage and she would still get out of her cage at night. She would push the top until the block moved and then get out and crawl into bed with me on cold nights and wrap around my leg. the first few times she did it she nearly gave me a heart attack. I also didnt have any children at this time. and she was fed once a week. People who dont feed except but once a month piss me off. She used to get 2 rats every week.

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    Didn't I read some where that the reason it got out was that the top of the cage was only covered by a blanket? Or did I dream that?

wibbly wobbly timey wimey Seraphim's Avatar
    http://www.dreamindemon.com/2011/07/...by-pet-python/

But the prosecution hammered home that yeah, the couple was stupid alright, but they were also criminally negligent. Just before Gypsy tried to eat the toddler, she had escaped like she had before and was found in the hallway by Darnell. He put the python in a mesh bag and back into its tank, located 12-feet away from were Shaiuanna was sleeping, then went to bed.
    Then they brought out the actual tank for the jurors to see. “Ridiculous,” the prosecutor stated as he pointed to a tank that had a quilt placed on top as a lid, fastened with clothespins. He called the couple ”irresponsible caregivers” and called Shaiuanna’s death “needless, senseless and careless.”
    The jury agreed with the prosecution with one juror later saying the decision was unanimous and one the other jurors were all 100 percent comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Didn't I read some where that the reason it got out was that the top of the cage was only covered by a blanket? Or did I dream that?
    It was something lame like that anyway.

Shit. A blanket tied on with a rope? Now I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by jessielee View Post
    I had a 6 foot argentine boa. She was STRONG. I used to put heavy ass cinderblocks on top of her cage and she would still get out of her cage at night. She would push the top until the block moved and then get out and crawl into bed with me on cold nights and wrap around my leg. the first few times she did it she nearly gave me a heart attack. I also didnt have any children at this time. and she was fed once a week. People who dont feed except but once a month piss me off. She used to get 2 rats every week.
    The snake would climb into your bed? How does one distinguish between 'I love you' and 'I'm trying to kill you' with a reptile? Can reptiles care for their owners, or express love? I don't know, this is why I'm a dog person.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ticle-1.946913
    A Florida couple whose killer python crushed the woman's 2-year-old toddler to death in her crib will each serve 12 years in prison, a judge said Wednesday.

Jaren Hare, 21, and boyfriend Charles Darnell, 34, were convicted last month of murder, manslaughter and child neglect.

The horrific tragedy unfolded two years ago in Oxford, Fla., when the couple's pet Burmese python slithered into Hare's daughter's crib and strangled the child.

The python, Gypsy, was severely underweight and tried to eat the child whole, a medical examiner testified.

Snake handlers also testified that the couple didn't house the 8-and-a-half foot python properly.

It's 200 gallon tank only had a quilt for a lid and was kept just 12 feet from baby Shaianna Hare's room, which did not have a door.

Hare's mother testified against her, saying that she warned the couple about the killer snake and even offered to buy it and lock it up properly.

Jurors shot down the defense's claim that the slaying was an accident.

"Even under the most remote circumstances, it was possible that the child could be injured. And it was their duty to make sure that there was no possibility that a 2-year-old would be bitten or in any way harmed," the jury's foreman told Florida's WFTV television.

The couple faced up to 35 years in prison.

Experts testified that the couple's Burmese python, was malnourished and hungry when it attacked the child. (AP)

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2taqjzIoM

The snake was just being....a snake. The parents were just being....stupid assholes.

Fibro Fog has taken over. I am in a constant state of dyscognition so please excuse my retardation.
    'The worst things in the world are justified by belief'- Raised by Wolves SOI

"Your life is short, it's the longest thing you'll ever do/ the worse the curse was that your dreams came true/
    God is a mirror in which each man sees himself/ Hell is place where you don't need anyone's help"

~You got to cry with out weeping. Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice~

The snake would climb into your bed? How does one distinguish between 'I love you' and 'I'm trying to kill you' with a reptile? Can reptiles care for their owners, or express love? I don't know, this is why I'm a dog person.
    I never saw this question, but yeah. I mean, not like a dog or cat, but they do know who feeds them and who they can trust. I had another snake who used to bite everyone but me. She would hang around my neck and nuzzle me, but she hated anyone else. But a hungry animal is a hungry animal. I think I told this story in another thread, but I had a friend whos snake slept with her every night. After a while it stopped eating and would lay in the bed stretched out long instead of coiled up. She took it to a vet and he told her "your snake isn't eating and stretching itself out because its preparing for a larger meal. You" the snake stopped sleeping in her bed after that. So while they know who you are and who has the food, everything is potential food. Your snake may trust you, but you should never trust your snake.

Why didn't they feed the snake for a month?

Why would they think a quilt would keep the snake in its container? Why didn't they have a door to their daughters room?

If this was truly an accident then these parents should be incarcerated during their breeding years. We don't need that kind of stupid reproducing.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by jessielee View Post
    I never saw this question, but yeah. I mean, not like a dog or cat, but they do know who feeds them and who they can trust. I had another snake who used to bite everyone but me. She would hang around my neck and nuzzle me, but she hated anyone else. But a hungry animal is a hungry animal. I think I told this story in another thread, but I had a friend whos snake slept with her every night. After a while it stopped eating and would lay in the bed stretched out long instead of coiled up. She took it to a vet and he told her "your snake isn't eating and stretching itself out because its preparing for a larger meal. You" the snake stopped sleeping in her bed after that. So while they know who you are and who has the food, everything is potential food. Your snake may trust you, but you should never trust your snake.
    oh you!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

FALSE

Examples:

[Collected on the Internet, December 2007]

I'd be the first to admit that this sounds like one of those internet horror storys that always happen to a friend of a friend of a friend of... The person that told me says it was her sister.

The sister has a pet python which stopped eating. After a while she got concerned and took it to the vet who could find nothing wrong. He wasn't worried and explained that snakes like this can go quite some time without eating and suggested she take it back home, keep a close eye on it and if it still wasn't eating in a week or two to bring it back in again.

So Tuesday of this week she goes back to the vet who can still find nothing wrong and asks if there has been any unusual behavour. She says no. The only thing odd was that a couple of night ago she woke up to find the snake on the bed beside her. She just picked him up and put him back in his tank. Wondering if the snake was seeking warmth he asks if it was curled up on the bed. The girl says "No, that's what was odd. He was lying straight, up and down the bed."

"Oh." says the vet. "I'm afraid he'll have to be put down."

"Why? What's wrong with him?" my friend's sister asks.

"There's nothing wrong with him." The vet says. "He's just starving himself in preparation for a big meal. It's perfectly normal."

Confused she asks why he has to be put down.

"That night, on the bed."

"Yes?"

"He was measuring you!"

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/critters/snake...glITip8su9b.99
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

This story really unnerves me. I have a really bad phobia of snakes as it is... This one makes my skin crawl.

Surely no single person could be that fucking stupid, let alone two people in the same house. To me this sounds like one of those accidentally on purpose kind of things.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    oh you!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

FALSE

Examples:

[Collected on the Internet, December 2007]

I'd be the first to admit that this sounds like one of those internet horror storys that always happen to a friend of a friend of a friend of... The person that told me says it was her sister.

The sister has a pet python which stopped eating. After a while she got concerned and took it to the vet who could find nothing wrong. He wasn't worried and explained that snakes like this can go quite some time without eating and suggested she take it back home, keep a close eye on it and if it still wasn't eating in a week or two to bring it back in again.

So Tuesday of this week she goes back to the vet who can still find nothing wrong and asks if there has been any unusual behavour. She says no. The only thing odd was that a couple of night ago she woke up to find the snake on the bed beside her. She just picked him up and put him back in his tank. Wondering if the snake was seeking warmth he asks if it was curled up on the bed. The girl says "No, that's what was odd. He was lying straight, up and down the bed."

"Oh." says the vet. "I'm afraid he'll have to be put down."

"Why? What's wrong with him?" my friend's sister asks.

"There's nothing wrong with him." The vet says. "He's just starving himself in preparation for a big meal. It's perfectly normal."

Confused she asks why he has to be put down.

"That night, on the bed."

"Yes?"

"He was measuring you!"

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/critters/snake...glITip8su9b.99

That BITCH! I guess you can't even believe your real life friends! I thought just Internet friends made up crap like that. I'm calling that hooker! Ugh. People suck SO fucking hard. Life lesson, just when you think all people may not actually suck, BAM. THEY DO.

I'm calling bullshit on a snake recognizing the person who feeds it too. If a snake can't differentiate between a heating pad and food, I don't think they will show any preferential treatment of who is giving them the mouse. The only reason the person who owns the snake is less likely to be bitten is because the owner knows the snake and has adapted to its behavior and how that particular snake reacts to feeding and handling. Show me scientific data proving that a snake recognizes it's owner and I might be swayed. Otherwise, I call booo-shit!

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

It's sense of smell. They smell with their tongues. I don't know why. I'm not a scientist, but they do recognize certain people. She knew who I was. Also, they hate alcohol. If you smell like booze they will bite. I don't know why that is either. I never claimed to be an expert. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. You want scientific data, look for it. I'm not the one who asked.

I'm fucking pissed at that chick for telling me that made up story. I stopped letting my snake climb in my bed after she told me that shit and got rid of her shortly after that. I texted her and she still swears it totally happened. Snatch.

hahaha. her story was basically word for word with that snopes article. we ought to contact snopes and let them know we found the origin of the story!

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    hahaha. her story was basically word for word with that snopes article. we ought to contact snopes and let them know we found the origin of the story!
    Now that the initial anger has worn off its actually kinda funny. I got fakied. And she told me this story over 10 years ago. I don't even think there was a snopes then, so I couldn't have verified.

i'm sorry she scared you into getting rid of your pet though.

Thread Information