Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Indiana schools to stop teaching cursive writing

This is good, although I still wouldn't call it pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar
    I'd show you an example of my writings but I dont want to give you fine folks a headache. Reading it gets especially taxing when the letters "n" and "u" are involved because they look the exact same in my scratch.

There's just no relationship between penmanship and intelligence, or even necessarily organization. Look at architects: some of them can draw a perfectly straight line without a ruler but they can't write a legible word.

WAUKEE, Iowa -- Report cards could become a thing of the past for Waukee Middle School students. The old A through F grading system has been around for decades, but teachers and administrators in Waukee say it's failing their students.“With the letter grade, that's all parents get. That doesn't tell you anything. It doesn't tell you what specific skills they're working on,” said Waukee Middle School Principal Jill Urich.A group of teachers came to Urich with the idea a few years ago.

They wanted her to ditch report cards for progress reports.A progress report would give everything from an E to an X. E means the student exceeds expectations and has a high understanding of the skill. S means the student is secure and can apply the skill independently. D means the student is developing but needs some hints to promote understanding. B means they are beginning and the student has little understanding of the skill. N means they need continuous teacher support.

An X means they haven't been assessed.“Having them reflect on those specific skills versus just that they had looked at their paper and saw a C and threw it away. Versus now it's really reflective on their work and making the changes to become secure in that skill,” explained sixth grade English teacher Amy Quam.“Everyone's first reaction was “whoa!” You know, “Oh no,”” said parent Kathleen Kauth. She has one son in seventh grade and two more in elementary school.

Kauth said some parents and kids are concerned about what this change will mean.“It took us a good six months, talking about why a grade point was important and what it would look like to colleges and how they were going to be judging you to get into college,” Kauth explained.Seventh grader Libby Chelsvig said it's all very confusing.“So if they give you an S for secure you don't really know if it's an A+ or an A-. With a letter grade you know exactly what you are getting,” Chelsvig said.Everyone can give their input at the school board meeting Tuesday night in Waukee.

Urich knows there will be a lot of questions but is ready to answer them all.“The teachers out there would tell you that this is a lot more work, but it is the right work, it is better work,” Urich said.The Waukee school board is expected to announce the decision at their March meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar
    Ok, I am kind of back and forth on this whole subject. I teach Special Ed..and for some of my students, the goal is to just get them to write legibly. I understand the importance of the student being able to read cursive, but I don't think actually learning to write in cursive is important at all. In fact, my students in the high school where I did the second-half of my student teaching who STILL couldn't write legibly were all accommodated some how..whether it be with laptops or a portable word processor.

On the other hand, these are all students with IEPs and are provided with these accommodations because they need them to be successful in school. Not everyone is provided with these things, I get it. But I don't understand the importance of teaching children cursive when they have a hard enough time learning to print legibly. I feel like handwriting is handwriting, so long as you can read it.

I will also add that I have the most HORRIBLE handwriting ever...and it's a mixture of cursive and print. It has taken me a really, really long time to master my "teacher" writing...and it still kinda sucks. and it hurts my hand when I do it for long periods of time. :\
    Balls.

I like my handwriting, I think it's quite neat when I can be arsed. I don't use cursive day to day, it tends to get used if I'm writing something down quickly cause it's quicker than printing.
    I'd write something but I'm far too lazy to upload it.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Thread Information