Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana schools to stop teaching cursive writing

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    This is why cursive has never made sense to me. So many people suck at it. Print is obviously preferable.
    But you have no idea how bad kids suck at print too!!!! That's my issue, like if they stop script, print is going to go to shit too. Why is being corrected in print different from being corrected in script?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    But you have no idea how bad kids suck at print too!!!! That's my issue, like if they stop script, print is going to go to shit too. Why is being corrected in print different from being corrected in script?
    Because it should be whatever is easiest for the kid to write in, not some archaic antique method of teaching them. The problem is forcing a system on a kid instead of working out what's best for them. I don't know anyone who writes better in script than handwriting and I certainly do think it's a waste of time to have that as something you set aside class time for, considering actual educational topics are being tossed out left and right.

How do we know what's easiest for them if they arent taught it? Im not trying to change your opinion, just hear me out when I explain that script is a helpful skill that they do utilize while they're in school (for now). Not everyone is good at it, but not everyone is good at spelling and we still teach that even though there is spell check and dictionaries.
    Not everyone is going to have a laptop in college. Not everything is on the computer, yet.
    I think they still need it.
    It's not ancient like learning math on the abbicus (did I spell that right, I didn't get a red squiggle). Lol.

I just want to add this story. I had a hard time with roman numerals. I was failing quizzes on roman numeral so my dad went in to talk to the teacher and ended up yelling at her because "why the hell does my kid have to learn roman numerals if the Romans are dead!! What so she can read the year at the end of a movie, or what number super bowl we're on!!!?!?".
    Are those even taught in school anymore? I don't even know.

I was not taught roman numerals. I am told that kids aren't even taught proofs anymore. Education is evolving: not all of it is becoming obsolete for no reason. Much like I understand the importance of teaching kids to organize, I still don't think it's the school's job to penalize them for messy desks, and I don't think handwriting is a tragic loss. If everyone learns to print in kindergarten, you'll have some kids who suck at it but they'll all be progressing over years and not forced to learn something new when they're finally comfortable. Like I said, how many people are great and have beautiful cursive that stink at printing?

I do not know any adult, besides my father (who writes in all capitals ffs) that prints. It's all cursive or the print/cursive hybrid that makes writing faster. I generally do the print/cursive hybrid. If you don't know what I'm talking about, oh well.

By the way, I have beautiful handwriting, and I am not Asian.

...and I hate being forced to print, like on legal documents. I feel like it takes an eternity.

I hate the way I print.

Oh and messy students penalize themselves because usually those kids can't find their notes, or have fucked up their notes and can't study. If they're taught early, to be organized, they get better grades. This is for sure. I see it year in and out.
    If I assign a project and it's turned in all sloppy, I def take points off. There is a difference between careless and incapable.

I think adults lose sight that kids don't know anything. They do have to be taught and corrected to become good at something. And just like every topic, not everyone is going to be good at it, but they woukdnt be AS good at it if they werent taught It
    Adults also project their feelings on their kids or kids in general. They assume that because they don't use it or whatever it's not necessary. I see so much fuckshittery, that this is just going to be something else that I'm going to have to deal with and get blamed on when shit goes sour.

My boyfriend has good handwriting, too, so obviously I tease him for having girly handwriting. I'm not used to boys that have legible handwriting.

I had a student that wrote in that bubble script and he was a boy. I wanted to poke fun at him so bad but I'm a teacher damn it!! Lol. At least he was neat.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I sucked at cursive writing and I still do- I hated learning it with the fiery passion of a thousand hells. Then again I also suck at print, especially taking notes but learning it didn't suck near as bad. I'm kinda sad that they aren't going to teach it anymore, but I'll admit if I was a kid in that school I would be celebrating.

When I was in fire academy, all our papers had to be in all-caps with a ruler, and it was the prettiest writing i've ever done, lol. I bring my laptop to class now and type like a fast little monkey because otherwise I read my notes later and I'm all WTF does that say? LOL. Seriously though when I hand wrote my notes I forgot the letter "I" in "fire" because I was in a hurry. Then I'd go back over it and be all WHAT THE HELL IS FRE?!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Also, the joke is on my teachers because I had childhood onset arthritis, so writing was really uncomfortable for me. hah eat a dick JERKKKKKSSSS

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    i have a few kids that dont use script, and they print their names to sign my learning contract, OR i have seen a couple that print their name, and connect the letters with lines. i facepalm everytime.

and on the math thing - there was a question on my Anatomy and Physiology final that was simply: how many times a day does the average heart beat a YEAR.
    Ok so, the thing is to get the student to recall from their notes, the average heart beats 100,000 a day. so by the time you are a senior, you should know that there is 365 days in a year.... so multiply the two, and you get 36,500,000 times a year. (all you really have to do is count the zeros and add them to the end of 365)

would you BELIEVE i had kids asking to use the calculator on that question during the final, i was like YOU ARE A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL, you can count right, you can multiply, right? do it in your head. ugh, i have no patience for no common sense.
    In their defense, I don't understand the question, either.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Wait, people have actual signatures that aren't just sloppy scribble?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    In their defense, I don't understand the question, either.
    I'm sorry. I was writting in bed, on my side, from my phone at 1am. The question is: how many times a year does the average heart beat.
    The answer is 36500000 Bc I taught them that it beats 100000 times a day.

I apologize.

I'm sorry. I was writting in bed, on my side, from my phone at 1am. The question is: how many times a year does the average heart beat.
    The answer is 36500000 Bc I taught them that it beats 100000 times a day.

I apologize.
    I figured, but I literally tried for about five minutes to answer it...ahaha

I figured, but I literally tried for about five minutes to answer it...ahaha
    I couldn't have been more confused over that, but she was already so mad at me because my handwriting teacher was a bitch that I wasn't about to ask. LOL

Sorry zo.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    I couldn't have been more confused over that, but she was already so mad at me because my handwriting teacher was a bitch that I wasn't about to ask. LOL

Sorry zo.
    lol
    i wasnt mad, i was just so surprised/disappointed that you guys had teachers that didnt know how to contructively correct children.
    i prolly came off mad because i was typing from my phone, in bed and in an awkward position - i was attempting to write just what i wanted to bring across matter of factly.

in the 3rd grade, i took a spelling test and the teach instructed us to write our numbers like this 1. 2. 3. ect, but i had seen my dad number a paper like this 1) 2) 3) and so i did it like that to be what i thought was "fancy", i got all my words correct but because i numbered my paper "incorrectly" she took off 5 points and i got a 95. She showed my paper to the class as an example of what not to do.
    My mom went in to argue my grade and the teacher wouldnt budge, she said that i didnt follow intructions and that i had to learn for the future to listen and follow instructions correctly. that she wanted all her students to be stars. my grade remained a 95. i was upset at the time, but i lived, i remember what happened, but i dont feel resentment over it. It did actually make me really listen to teachers when they were giving out the instructions for assignments.

My horrible experience didn't turn me against handwriting or make me think it isn't necessary, but since it was almost 50 years ago I'd say it had a lasting impact and not in a good way.

No matter how much she belittled me my handwriting was what it was. That's the difference. You can number differently. I can only write how I can write.

I switched schools when I started third grade, and those kids had already learned cursive in second grade. So I taught myself, and I have the best handwriting of all time, tyvm.

I switched schools when I started third grade, and those kids had already learned cursive in second grade. So I taught myself, and I have the best handwriting of all time, tyvm.
    Twat.

I'm going to get an old yearbook and find out my teacher's first name, which I can't recall then I'm going to track her down. I'm going to stalk her (should be easy, she's gotta be pretty old by now) and when the time is right I'm going to stab her with a pen and write TAKE THAT, BITCH in my horrible handwriting on her forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    My horrible experience didn't turn me against handwriting or make me think it isn't necessary, but since it was almost 50 years ago I'd say it had a lasting impact and not in a good way.

No matter how much she belittled me my handwriting was what it was. That's the difference. You can number differently. I can only write how I can write.
    exactly, and the point is that you write. Im sorry that you were belittled or feel like you were belittled. I feel bad for everyone that feels that way. but here's the thing, how does a teacher know how well you have the ability to write cursive, without asking of you to write cursive in a standard form.
    eventually everyone settles into their own handwritting, it isnt meant to be identical because look at signatures, those are unique to the individual. However, during instruction there is a standard to follow and a teacher's role is to attempt to bring that out of the child - now I dont mean to embarass or belittle a kid because their handwritting is shit, but if theyre having trouble with their R's and F's, well then, those letters are the ones they'll have to practice on by writting them repeatively as practice.
    the point is that no matter what, you HAVE handwritting. You have a way to quickly jot down your ideas when there is no computer, smartphone, iPad, or other keyboard device.
    as far as what bowie mentioned about who's signature isnt a jumble of letters, thats only because they were taught script in the first place, and after writing their name 1001 times or more in script, it becomes a signature, whether its legable or illegable. If someone is going to print their name as a signature, i think thats going to be easier to forge and just plain look unintelligent. (IMO)

In making plans for the weekend, i asked my friends if they had bad experiences learning script in school and only one had a story because theyre left handed. however, even my left handed SO said he learned it fine and his handwriting is decent.
    i should look through my papers and post some pics of the horrendous handwriting i get on papers from kids that are 17/18 yr old. you guys would be shocked, even you guys that THINK you have bad handwriting.

Your favorite what ever? I need this information before I can respond.

Thread Information