Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana schools to stop teaching cursive writing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Indiana schools to stop teaching cursive writing

Indiana schools to stop teaching cursive writing

INDIANAPOLIS—
    Starting this fall, schools in Indiana won't have to teach kids how to write in cursive.

Until now, kids started learning cursive handwriting in 2nd grade; but state education officials say computers and web books have made cursive a relic of the past; so it won't be required any more.

Local school districts can still teach it if they want; but the state says it's more important to teach kids good keyboard skills.
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/wgn...,7906916.story

Hmmm im not sure how I feel about this.
    How will these kids sign their names if they dont know cursive?
    I picture their signature to look like Krusty the Clowns

i fucking hate this.

so kids will never sign their name.

now i have to take time to write in print on the board because my student cant read script. its ridiculous. we're just fucking our schools. fuckit, why teach addition and subtraction, or multiplication or division... we got calculators bitches!!! what the fuck do we have to think anymore - GOOGLE FUCKERS!!!

this is a bad sign and a slippery slope.

i have a few kids that dont use script, and they print their names to sign my learning contract, OR i have seen a couple that print their name, and connect the letters with lines. i facepalm everytime.

and on the math thing - there was a question on my Anatomy and Physiology final that was simply: how many times a day does the average heart beat a YEAR.
    Ok so, the thing is to get the student to recall from their notes, the average heart beats 100,000 a day. so by the time you are a senior, you should know that there is 365 days in a year.... so multiply the two, and you get 36,500,000 times a year. (all you really have to do is count the zeros and add them to the end of 365)

would you BELIEVE i had kids asking to use the calculator on that question during the final, i was like YOU ARE A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL, you can count right, you can multiply, right? do it in your head. ugh, i have no patience for no common sense.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    i have a few kids that dont use script, and they print their names to sign my learning contract, OR i have seen a couple that print their name, and connect the letters with lines. i facepalm everytime.

and on the math thing - there was a question on my Anatomy and Physiology final that was simply: how many times a day does the average heart beat a YEAR.
    Ok so, the thing is to get the student to recall from their notes, the average heart beats 100,000 a day. so by the time you are a senior, you should know that there is 365 days in a year.... so multiply the two, and you get 36,500,000 times a year. (all you really have to do is count the zeros and add them to the end of 365)

would you BELIEVE i had kids asking to use the calculator on that question during the final, i was like YOU ARE A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL, you can count right, you can multiply, right? do it in your head. ugh, i have no patience for no common sense.
    In their defense, I don't understand the question, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    In their defense, I don't understand the question, either.
    I'm sorry. I was writting in bed, on my side, from my phone at 1am. The question is: how many times a year does the average heart beat.
    The answer is 36500000 Bc I taught them that it beats 100000 times a day.

I apologize.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I'm sorry. I was writting in bed, on my side, from my phone at 1am. The question is: how many times a year does the average heart beat.
    The answer is 36500000 Bc I taught them that it beats 100000 times a day.

I apologize.
    I figured, but I literally tried for about five minutes to answer it...ahaha
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I figured, but I literally tried for about five minutes to answer it...ahaha
    I couldn't have been more confused over that, but she was already so mad at me because my handwriting teacher was a bitch that I wasn't about to ask. LOL

Sorry zo.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar

I haveb't finished the thread so maybe this has been covered. But this makes no sense to me. Are you asking how many times does the average heart beat in a year? Because the day part is throwing me off.

ETA: Carry on
    Last edited by TheFavoriteDaughter; 07-03-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: I should read
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

this is probably not a big deal to most of you... but seriously, the united states educational system is in big trouble.

A local elementary school near me had such a problem getting kids to do their homework that they decided the best solution was to eliminate hw altogether.
    I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat; and then on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your home, and punch you in the face.

This is of interest to me because I think sometimes about how the decision is made to stop teaching outdated things. I would have never thought of cursive writing to be one of those, but what about making change?

I've heard people bitch (old people) that some young person they encountered can't make change. But the fact is, they don't have to know how to make change, even in retail situations. The cash register does it for them. It might be nice to know so that they don't get screwed themselves when getting change back, but I rarely count my change. I shove it in my purse or pocket. So they probably don't count their change either. What if the computer goes down or the power goes off? They close the store. It's just not the same world anymore as when I was a kid.

What about telling time? Kids always have access to digital clocks it seems. Why must they learn to tell time on an analog clock?

Those are just a couple of things that come to mind. I'm as horrified as anyone about not teaching any of this stuff, but that could just be because I'm old and I've needed this knowledge.

Zomy you say the educational system is in big trouble, but computers run everything anymore, so why must kids learn stuff that just isn't necessary? Is it really in big trouble, or does it just seem that way to us older folks?

I'm not pushing for not teaching kids. Like I said, I find it scary myself. But at some point they stopped teaching kids how to put the harness on the horse and crank the model T, ya know? Who decides what they just don't need to learn anymore?

ETA Wow that's really tl/dr.

My daughter is going into 8th grade this year. She has not been taught cursive.
    One of my sons is going into 3rd and they haven't started teaching him yet, either.

Meh, I fucking hate cursive. It was an antiquated means of rewarding kids for something retarded and penalizing/ostracizing others. I had shitty penmanship. So does like, pretty much every non-Asian genius. It was an arbitrary and stupid standard of separating 'good' kids from bad. Having crappy handwriting isn't the same as not speaking English properly or being able to spell. I'm incredibly fast typist.

And it was def. something sexist. It was never as important for boys to have neat cursive as it was for little girls, and if you weren't good at it, you somehow were less female. I mean, I'd get marked down if my s went over the line. That's fucking stupid. Spend that half hour on something actually educational. NO ONE uses cursive after elementary school except elderly people who write illegible greeting cards.

BTW my mom has unreadably bad handwriting too.

I remember once in I think maybe third grade my teacher humiliating me in front of the whole class talking about my shit handwriting. I hope she's dead now and died a slow death with many people sending her get well cards with crappy handwriting. Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    I remember once in I think maybe third grade my teacher humiliating me in front of the whole class talking about my shit handwriting. I hope she's dead now and died a slow death with many people sending her get well cards with crappy handwriting. Bitch.
    Oh, I see you also had Mrs. Bloom as a teacher. Feel better: I once hit her in the head with a bottle rocket. "By accident".

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Meh, I fucking hate cursive. It was an antiquated means of rewarding kids for something retarded and penalizing/ostracizing others. I had shitty penmanship. So does like, pretty much every non-Asian genius. It was an arbitrary and stupid standard of separating 'good' kids from bad. Having crappy handwriting isn't the same as not speaking English properly or being able to spell. I'm incredibly fast typist.

And it was def. something sexist. It was never as important for boys to have neat cursive as it was for little girls, and if you weren't good at it, you somehow were less female. I mean, I'd get marked down if my s went over the line. That's fucking stupid. Spend that half hour on something actually educational. NO ONE uses cursive after elementary school except elderly people who write illegible greeting cards.

BTW my mom has unreadably bad handwriting too.
    I never knew how horrible handwriting could get until I was older. What's with you people?
    It's like the way it's harder tOO TyPe LiiKe ThiiS than it is to type normally, being sloppy takes more effort (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    Haha, I used to have to read everything out loud in class cause I did it well. And my handwriting is stellar.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 07-03-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    I never knew how horrible handwriting could get until I was older. What's with you people?
    It's like the was it's harder tOO TyPe LiiKe ThiiS than it is to type normally, being sloppy takes more effort (in my opinion).

Haha, I used to have to read everything out loud in class cause I did it well. And my handwriting is stellar.
    I did other things well.

Holy crap, your last name is Reagan?

I guess in a few generations the fucking constitution is going to be considered hieroglyphics.

Kids have shitty handwriting whether they print or script. But really? Getting rid of script just because people type IS like not teaching a kid to read a clock because "all" clocks are digital.
    And telling a kid that their s is messed up, or not on a line, is teaching them how to do it correctly. I'm sorry that many of you had old impatient teachers that made u feel shitty for having shitty handwriting but it should be done (not the feeling shitty, the hand writing). You still have to write in school.
    You still have to write essays in class, on a test, on lab reports, on the SATs and take notes, Not everything is on the computers yet. And even if it goes that way, do computers work Alllll the time? No. Should we be able to write things down quickly, yes.
    I just think that this is the beginning of the end of thinking.
    Geniuses will be geniuses, but those kids that need that extra nudge to think are going to be lost. Trust me I see it already. It's not too cool.

I don't see ANYTHING in common with script versus knowing how to read a fucking clock. You have to read a clock. There has literally never been a purpose in cursive. Men weren't even expected to learn it. It was a lady-like trait, like teaching girls to darn socks or something. You know what? My handwriting is shitty and I can't sew that fucking button on, and if my plane crashes in the wilderness, none of that shit will matter. All I'll need is a goddamn hatchet.

Hahaha ds mentioned it, not you bowmaster flex.

Well luckily I teach science so if you crash in the woods, some of what I teach is applicable. Hahahaha. My point is, if they deem script not important, think of all the other shit that could possibly be deemed "unimportant" as well.

Plus. When I write notes on the board theyre in script. I'm not a fucking kindergarten teacher to be writing shit out in print, takes too long. I had some kids tell me they can't read script and I said "well, it's a good time to learn.".

And you know what, they learned.

I don't understand not teaching cursive writing. But there ARE things that just get outmoded because of technology or whatever. That's what I think about. How do they decide hmm....people don't need to know this anymore.

I guess it's the school board. But if it's a state wide thing, it's gotta be the governor, maybe? I think it's too early to phase out cursive writing. Are all Indiana schools going to provide computers for their kids. I live in Bergen county which is reportedly one of the richest counties in the US (I don't see a dime of that money lol) and I have a few student who do not have a computer at home and handwrite their papers or labs.

I think they are jumping the gun a bit.
    My guy's daughter is going into third and she writes script. She also has begun memorizing her multiplication tables. She knows 1,2,5 and 10. But that's my doing ;)

But cursive is a fucking waste of time and literally just taught to find a way to arbitrate between who is 'good' and neat and who is 'bad' and messy. I mean, kids shouldn't be made to feel like crap about that because it's literally got no use whatsoever. When people stop growing baby toes, I'm going to be all noooo kill itttt kill itttt fuck you evolution.

If they were like, "Let's stop teaching math" I'd be like lolwut but actually I think this is some conservative, bullshit way of discriminating against kids for stupid things that don't matter. I mean, it's like how you can get a bad grade in PE because you suck at it rather than because you're not trying. That's fucking crap. So I suck at volley ball. So fucking what. If I try, isn't that what counts? Stupid. And yet some kid who didn't even read a book but makes a really cool shadow box will get an A.

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar
    3rd grade in New Mexico they taught cursive writing. I remember one long and painful night trying to get my words to line up neatly. Tried to give them the slant they wanted, the loops, stay on the lines, and "pretty" flow. I must have erased the paper ten times because it knew it was shit. I finally got it better than I ever had prior. Turned it in the next morning and, an hour later, the teacher plucked my paper out of the pile to share with the class. She called it ugly, too many eraser marks, and sloppy writing. She made exaggerated disgusted faces to convey to 3rd grade brains that my paper was the opposite of successful hand writing and neatness.

Fuck pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature Feature View Post
    3rd grade in New Mexico they taught cursive writing. I remember one long and painful night trying to get my words to line up neatly. Tried to give them the slant they wanted, the loops, stay on the lines, and "pretty" flow. I must have erased the paper ten times because it knew it was shit. I finally got it better than I ever had prior. Turned it in the next morning and, an hour later, the teacher plucked my paper out of the pile to share with the class. She called it ugly, too many eraser marks, and sloppy writing. She made exaggerated disgusted faces to convey to 3rd grade brains that my paper was the opposite of successful hand writing and neatness.

Fuck pretty.
    I feel your pain.

Bowie, I use cursive. Don't you use it to sign cards or sign your name or anything?

Thread Information