Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The body of Marie Joseph (36) was found 2 days after drowning in a Massachusetts public pool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The body of Marie Joseph (36) was found 2 days after drowning in a Massachusetts public pool

This whole article is WTF

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75T4VA20110630

The body of a woman who apparently drowned in a state-run swimming pool in Massachusetts remained in the water unnoticed for two days until passersby finally alerted police, authorities said on Thursday.

No one reported seeing Marie Joseph, 36, between Sunday and late on Tuesday, when police were called to Veterans Memorial Swimming Pool in a park in southeastern Massachusetts where they found her in the water, Fall River Police Lt. Roger LaFleur said on Thursday.

"There were some individuals who were in the park and who noticed there was a body in the pool and subsequently called police," LaFleur told Reuters.

Authorities said visitors to the recreational pool on Monday and Tuesday apparently didn't notice Joseph's body.

"Obviously, this situation is sort of unbelievable, and investigators are looking at every lead, every angle," he said.

Joseph, a resident of Fall River, a city about 50 miles south of Boston, was last seen at the pool on Sunday. Her belongings were later found there, but she had not been reported missing, police said.

Police Chief Daniel Racine told a news conference Joseph may have had an accident on a water slide at the pool, citing a 9-year-old boy whom she had been taking care of on Sunday.

The boy said Joseph accidentally went down the slide and landed on top of him, then went underwater and failed to resurface.

All state-operated deep-water pools were closed on Wednesday by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation until further notice.

The investigation is ongoing. An autopsy and interviews with Joseph's family members, pool employees and others who were at the pool on Sunday were expected to be completed soon.

Wow, she was with a really alert and caring group, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

lolwut?
    So the kid just left without his chaperone and no one was like "uh where is she?"
    I thought people would float when they drown. What an odd story.

I just saw this on our local news. You are not kidding----WTF!!! is right. Sad and nasty at the same time. I am interested to see what transpires with this one.

This can't be right. People were just swimming over a corpse for two days? I Googled some pictures of the pool, it's not like there was anything the body could have been hidden under - it's just a big "L" shaped pool. THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME!!!

I dont get how this happens either. Was the pool open Monday? Were people swimming with this lady in the pool?

Dotti, if the lungs fill up with water and you're a relatively thin person, you'll sink. Especially after a while and your cells take in more and more water, only when the body begin to decompose and the bacteria eating the corpse produces gases will the body float again.

I can't even imagine how this happened. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    I dont get how this happens either. Was the pool open Monday? Were people swimming with this lady in the pool?

Dotti, if the lungs fill up with water and you're a relatively thin person, you'll sink. Especially after a while and your cells take in more and more water, only when the body begin to decompose and the bacteria eating the corpse produces gases will the body float again.

I can't even imagine how this happened. Strange
    Wow! I remember there was a kid found at the bottom of our local swimming pool a few years ago, i thought something (like a filter or whatever sucks stuff in pools) must've sucked him down. But that makes sense. So people would've just been swimming over this body, no one noticed her at the bottom of the pool. Ugh scary!

A group of teenagers who allegedly broke into the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Pool in Fall River, Massachusetts, by scaling a fence for a late-night swim discovered the body of Marie Joseph about 10pm local time on Tuesday
    aack! This is like the beginning of a good horror movie

RIP poor lady, im sorry no one remembered to remember you

Every few years, people begin to forget what happened at Camp Crystal Lake. Every few years, someone reminds them.

I can't believe no one in the group bothered to look for her. Especially since she was acting as a chaperone to a kid. Then the pool staff finds her stuff and doesn't seem to investigate? I wouldn't think it's common for people to leave the pool without putting on their street clothes. And leaving her phone? OMG I would die without my phone!

You are right.. this whole situation is WTF!

What are the health risks of swimming with a dead body? This story has creeped me OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikro2 View Post
    What are the health risks of swimming with a dead body? This story has creeped me OUT!
    i would worry more about the throngs of nasty, dirty people who frequent public pools in the summer. who needs to bathe when you're going swimming anyone?

also, HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE A DEAD BODY SUBMERGED IN A SWIMMING POOL? like, no one saw her? there's something wrong with this story. (saying it is fishy seemed like bad taste)

This is crazy. I guess the water was murky. What public pool would stay open with the water murky anyways? I live right outside Boston and they closed down our local pool today. Not sure how long it will be closed for.

Her:

The Pool:

Police now are trying to determine if Joseph drowned on Sunday, if her body remained in the water from Sunday to Tuesday and how, if she was in the water, she was not seen.

Edward Lambert Jr., the former Fall River mayor and current DCR commissioner, issued a statement Wednesday saying the pool's entire staff “has been placed on administrative leave.

The pool is surrounded by a 7-foot chain link fence. When a DCR pool is closed for the day, the pool staff order swimmers out of the water and perform a full inspection of the pool and the surrounding area before locking up the site for the night, DCR spokeswoman S.J. Port said. The search includes the bathrooms and changing areas

Also..the article said the pool under the water slide is 12 feet deep. Thats pretty deep

Hrmmm.

Health inspectors have been placed on leave after failing to notice a woman's body lay at the bottom of a public pool for two days while people swam in the water.

Marie Joseph, 36, drowned in the Fall River, Massachusetts pool on Sunday but her body was not discovered until Tuesday evening when youngsters jumped the fence to take an illicit evening swim.

The morbid discovery came just hours after to city health officials came to test the water - and overlooked the corpse on two separate occasions.

Incredibly, a nine-year-old boy who was with Mrs Joseph on Sunday went to tell a life guard she had fallen into the pool - but was reportedly ignored.

On Thursday, Fall River’s mayor Will Flanagan told CBSBoston.com 'that health inspectors from the city visited the pool on Monday and on Tuesday and inspected the facilities.'

According to officials, the inspectors tested the pool on Tuesday, and noted in a report that the water was 'cloudy.'

The workers, who were not named, have been placed on administrative leave, the mayor said.

The entire pool staff has also been placed on leave by the state.

Speaking to NBC 10 friends of Joseph said they did not understand how the body remained in the bottom of Veteran's Memorial Pool at Lafayette Park for two days unnoticed.

One woman said: 'People were swimming there with a body in there. They didn't find the body until [Tuesday night].

Another friend added: 'She can't swim. She told me this like two weeks ago. She can't swim.'

Despite being missing for two days, Friends of Mrs Joseph did not report her disappearance to the authorities.

According to the friends, they left Mrs Joseph on Sunday to watch the 9-year-old boy while he played on the slide.

Police said the woman somehow fell down the slide, landing on top of the boy shortly after he entered the water.

Police Chief Daniel Racine said: 'The boy stated that once he was in the water after coming down the slide, Marie unexpectedly slid down the slide landing on top of him.

'He further stated that she went under the water and did not surface.'

Mrs Joseph's friends added that the boy went to a lifeguard for help, but was ignored.
    The shocking revelations have led authorities to close all 30 state-run deep water public swimming pools in Massachusetts.

The Department of Conservation and Recreation says the move will enable officials to review safety and operational procedures.

The agency also suspended all workers at the pool.

'There are interviews going on right now.

'Exactly who that boy spoke to, and what that person did, and what happened next.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1QnZvF1Qm

Cloudy water? Isnt that a huge clue something is wrong
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Also the fact the kid went to get lifeguards attention and was ignored is totally lawsuit material

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    Cloudy water? Isnt that a huge clue something is wrong
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Also the fact the kid went to get lifeguards attention and was ignored is totally lawsuit material
    omgosh...every time I read more about this the more grossed out I get. Just like why I wont eat at food bars.YACK

Seriously, Was she stuck somewhere? Apparently so. They need some better protocol

Wut wuz dat black wimmen doin' in dat deep watah?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

This whole article is a giant bowl of what the fuck. If nobody noticed her for days during the daylight, how did some boys find her at night?? Or almost night anyway. And who did they boy tell after the lifeguard? Wow..
    Lurker checking in.

What the hell was she doing at the deep end of a pool if she couldn't swim?! I don't get anything about this story. The whole thing is just weird.

They obviously didn't test the water if they didn't see a corpse at the bottom of the pool.
    "Waters fine, oh except for that dead body over there..."

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Holy what the fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

i wonder if a freshly dead body would change the chemistry of the pool? and even if it did, they would probably make the adjustments needed to bring it back to what its supposed to be. They probably were not looking directly in the pool, what i cant get is how she was overlooked THE WHOLE day monday by patrons. no one bumped into her? no one jumped into the pool with goggles and saw something at the bottom of the pool?

my dad's pool has been balanced and it needed a day or two to become crystal clear - and there is no dead body in there.

This was the most read story on the BBC at one point this morning. After reading their version, it makes a tiny bit more sense to me how she wasn't seen - I guess the kids who broke in were just "lucky" to arrive after she surfaced? Even so, it's still all kinds of stupid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13986769

Thread Information