Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar Peeves and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    Southern, eh? I knew a southern girl that didn't plan - she'd "fix". As in, "I'm fixin' to go to the park". Her boyfriend, who was a New Yorker, would constantly correct her. I thought it was cute.

"Are" drives me batshit. As does "should of", "could of" . . .

It's fucking HAVE people! Could HAVE. OR, what you're really meaning to say - "Could've"
    my cousin says that all the time. Fixinta "I'm Fixin ta". also "come see" and "who dat is?"

Oh, not fixin'. Never.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

I say "I'm fixin' to" all the time. I would never date anyone who dared correct me. A lot of the things I say casually,I am perfectly aware are incorrect. Meh. Casual talk isn't meant for business dealings. I hate speaking to people who are consequently proper and expect me to be. WE are drinking a Guiness and ogling people and you expect proper grammar... fuck you.

"Grammer", how ever annoys the crap out of me. It is usually people correcting you that spell it that way. Asshats.

It's disgusting, not discusting.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    I say "I'm fixin' to" all the time. I would never date anyone who dared correct me. A lot of the things I say casually,I am perfectly aware are incorrect. Meh. Casual talk isn't meant for business dealings. I hate speaking to people who are consequently proper and expect me to be. WE are drinking a Guiness and ogling people and you expect proper grammar... fuck you.

"Grammer", how ever annoys the crap out of me. It is usually people correcting you that spell it that way. Asshats.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Oh, yeah, I would never correct anyone in real life. Particularly since I say "like" every four words.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I cannot stand that phrase, but I'd never correct someone. It's annoying, but it's their thing. I'm sure I use phrases that are annoying to some. My in-laws (lovely people) say 'fixin' all the time and my SO pokes fun at them which I think is a bit mean. He intentionally lost his accent when he moved out of TX, so he has issues with it I guess.
    Why not just be an adult and go forward with your life. You do know the reps aren't real money or anything right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    Oh, yeah, I would never correct anyone in real life. Particularly since I say "like" every four words.
    I had to work so hard to break that habit. I forced myself to kick it for the purpose of speeches/lectures. I'd record myself and it sounded awful. I still say it more than I should. It just has a nice ring to it.

ended up versus landed up
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    Whenever I'm typing really fast, I catch myself doing it phonetically. So I have been guilty of putting "are" instead of "our" even though I know the difference. I also use "is" and "are" incorrectly.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

There is software that can listen to speech and pick the correct form of all of those words. Surely people can do as well as software?

This is where accents come into it, because "our" and "are" sound completely different when I say them.

Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    This is where accents come into it, because "our" and "are" sound completely different when I say them.
    I try to say them differently when I speak but it's hard.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

me too. our and are. completely different.

Hour and our should sound alike even if you enunciate properly though, right? At least in Iowa. Not that people mix that one up, but software could. There, their, they're all sound alike.

How about dawn the time of day and Dawn the name? Same or different?

Wait. Don and Dawn as names. I don't think you could make dawn and dawn sound different.

I think Don and Dawn sound the same. Unless you say Dawn with a heavy accent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFavoriteDaughter View Post
    It was always the same to me, too, until I met someone named Dawn who had a husband who was extremely anal about how people pronounced her name. I still say it the same most of the time, though, because getting that 'w' sound in there is hard for me and it comes out sounding like a different name entirely.

Yeah they sound nothing alike when I say them. I'm definitely not saying I say anything the right way though, my accent is well known to you guys

The way I say Don rhymes with gone and the way I say Dawn rhymes with lawn. I wasn't aware there was another way to say them.

Also, I cannot STAND when people use then when they should be using than. It makes my blood boil.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    Stumps me too, and I type medical stuff where it's used all the time. The only time I'm positive is if they are talking about someone's AFFECT in a psychiatric sense. Otherwise, I use what feels right.
    Yeah, this has been an issue for me lately cause I started grad school for psych and it involves a lot of thing that affect people lol..but yeah, when they're talking about someone's affect, that one is easy.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    Hour and our should sound alike even if you enunciate properly though, right? At least in Iowa. Not that people mix that one up, but software could. There, their, they're all sound alike.

How about dawn the time of day and Dawn the name? Same or different?

Wait. Don and Dawn as names. I don't think you could make dawn and dawn sound different.
    If anyone was listening in on me right now, I'd sound crazier than usual. I'm saying all this shit aloud

RESULTS:
    1. Don and Dawn do not sound the same.
    2. Hour and our do not sound the same.
    3. Dawn and dawn definitely sound the same As do all the "there"s.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Amy's taste > Tara's

Quote Originally Posted by Tarren View Post
    The way I say Don rhymes with gone and the way I say Dawn rhymes with lawn. I wasn't aware there was another way to say them.

Also, I cannot STAND when people use then when they should be using than. It makes my blood boil.
    Lawn and gone sound the same to me.

Don and Ron rhyme. Ron does not rhyme with gone. NO.

This thread hurts my brain.

Amy's taste > Tara's

Maybe I'm British, or you're secretly from New York

Lawn and gone sound the same to me.
    HOW?!

Maybe I'm British, or you're secretly from New York

HOW?!
    How not?!

Thread Information