Thread: Tornado kills 19

Tornado kills 19

The names haven't been released yet, so far as I can tell.  I heard a report on this on the news on the way home and apparently the parent's of the HS students were just notified.  I didn't even know they had tornadoes in Alabama.  Hurricanes are bad enough  :-(

U.S. tornadoes kill 19; school collapses

By Peggy Gargis and Verna Gates

BIRMINGHAM, Ala., March 1 (Reuters) - Tornadoes ripped across the Southern and Midwestern United States on Thursday and killed at least 19 people, most of whom had been taking shelter in a high school that collapsed in southern Alabama.

Seventeen people died in the southern Alabama town of Enterprise, where the school building was torn open by the twister, state Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Yasmie Richardson told the Montgomery Advertiser newspaper.

Gov. Bob Riley, who declared a state of emergency and sent 100 National Guard troops to the town, said there was at least one more death elsewhere in Alabama and rescue workers were still moving debris to search for survivors as night fell.

Another death was reported in Missouri.

Television news footage showed helicopters landing on the football field near wreckage of the school in Enterprise while ambulances came and went. The shredded building was surrounded by broken trees and overturned cars.

Emergency officials told local television that at least one teacher was among those killed at the school. CNN quoted an eyewitness as saying he carried the bodies of two young girls out of the building.

"Enterprise has suffered major and widespread damage," Riley said.

U.S. President George W. Bush, who earlier toured New Orleans and the Gulf Coast to assess the recovery from Hurricane Katrina, called the Alabama and Missouri governors to extend condolences and offer aid, the White House said.

Alabama state officials sent search and rescue teams, ambulances, generators and emergency lights to Enterprise to aid the search for survivors. Phone service and electricity were out through much of the area.

Doctors treated more than 50 people for lacerations, broken bones and other injuries, hospital CEO Jeff Brannon said. Most of them were hurt at the school.

Hospital workers had rushed to move patients away from the windows as sirens screamed out a warning moments before a dark funnel cloud roared past. Hospital windows burst and cars were pummeled in the hospital parking lot, Brannon said.

In the town of Caulfield in south-central Missouri, a tornado killed a girl in a mobile home and damaged six other homes and two gasoline stations, officials said.

Parts of several Midwestern states and regions as far south as the Gulf Coast to the Florida Panhandle had been under tornado watches or warnings most of the day.

In Chicago, more than 400 flights were canceled at O'Hare International Airport as gusty storms and fog rolled in.

"To the best of our knowledge there was at least one significant tornado that went through the city of Enterprise but we won't know if there was more than one before tomorrow when we send a team to conduct a storm survey of the affected area," said Tom Bradshaw, a meteorologist in Fort Worth, Texas, with the National Weather Service headquarters for the southern region.

"Several counties in Alabama and also Georgia are currently under tornado warnings," he said.

Thursday's storms came just a month after a tornado killed about 20 people in central Florida.

MSNBC Article

Re: Tornado kills 19

im getting sick of all these natural disasters. i wish theyd stop already.
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Mayor: "The students were safer in that hallway than they would have been had they gone home to a mobile home"

Way to debunk those stereotypes!

Edit

I put my reply in the wrong forum..

[quote author=Ren link=topic=5231.msg209371#msg209371 date=1172857513]
    Mayor: "The students were safer in that hallway than they would have been had they gone home to a mobile home"

Way to debunk those stereotypes!
    [/quote]He does have a point though - everyone knows mobile homes are tornado magnets!
    [quote author=red01angel link=topic=4917.msg191549#msg191549 date=1171663626]<br />-Clears throat-<br />[size=20pt]WHO CARES!![/size]<br />Thank you, have a nice day.[/quote]<br />Mandy is always right.<br />LawChick is unimaginably great, and she&#039;s beautiful

[quote author=lordstanleyd link=topic=5231.msg209393#msg209393 date=1172858474]
    He does have a point though - everyone knows mobile homes are tornado magnets!
    [/quote]

Do you know this from personal experience?&nbsp;
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=5231.msg209397#msg209397 date=1172858807]
    Do you know this from personal experience?&nbsp;
    [/quote]Yes, having lived in a part of the country that experiences frequent tornadoes.
    [quote author=red01angel link=topic=4917.msg191549#msg191549 date=1171663626]<br />-Clears throat-<br />[size=20pt]WHO CARES!![/size]<br />Thank you, have a nice day.[/quote]<br />Mandy is always right.<br />LawChick is unimaginably great, and she&#039;s beautiful

[quote author=lordstanleyd link=topic=5231.msg209406#msg209406 date=1172858913]
    Yes, having lived in a part of the country that experiences frequent tornadoes.
    [/quote]

8-)
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

Tornadoes are the reason I will never live in a mobile home. They can get picked up and carried for miles. If you check into deaths caused by tornadoes I guarantee most of the people who were killed were stupid and taking cover in their damn mobile home.
    &quot;I don&#039;t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.&quot;

^ thats your sole rationale for not living in a mobile home? :)

Ever notice that New Jersey never gets hit with natural disasters of any kind? I think it's pretty clear who is god's favorite.&nbsp;

"Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

God hates the midwest.&nbsp;
    &quot;I don&#039;t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying.&quot;

[quote author=unibrow link=topic=5231.msg209493#msg209493 date=1172862472]
    God hates the midwest.&nbsp;
    [/quote] Who doesn't? :)
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Damn those tornado watches&nbsp; were on all day yesterday.Last night the thunder and lightning scared the shit out of me I woke up today after I dreamt I was in a room with a bunch of people hiding from a tornado.....

Tornadoes are the sole reason i will never visit the midwest. It's my biggest fear in life

Tornadoes are only around in the spring. And if you stay away from mobile homes you're pretty safe.&nbsp;

Thread Information