If I didn't have a kid and had the specialized training, I would take him. I don't condone what he did AT ALL, but I also think prison is no place for a 12 year old. I think if he was removed from that environment, he could be rehabilitated. I have done different community service/mission efforts with foster kids that have had horrible backgrounds and that have done some pretty scary things (haven't seen a murderer yet, but kids that set fire to their parents bed, tortured animals, etc) The majority of the kids thrive so much better when they are removed from the abusive home and placed in a healthy environment with a strict routine and of course counseling services. The mother said they were wrestling when the baby's leg got broken the first time, it could have just been rough play, acting out wrestling moves and other things that kids do. Or it could have been malicious. I just really don't think life in prison makes sense here.
And yeah, the mother deserves any charges she gets fo letting the 12 year old keep the 2 year old. Fail all around on this one.