Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Couponing! Old lady whatup

I admit that I, at times, sneak in a double or expired coupon because sometimes the cashier lets it slide. One time, I slipped in a $10 off coupon on a crockpot that was bigger than the size limit on the coupon. I'm sorry, HEB.
    Toodle Loo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    If you have a job that gives you a paycheck, you're good. Any job.

I never understand this. Why do you give a shit?

They get a set amount of money, it's not like if they spend all their $$ for the month the state calls you and tells you to buy them shit. Who cares if they spend it all on one BBQ and starve the next 3 weeks!?!? Lesson learned for them!
    Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeply shaded View Post
    Exactly!
    These are the same people that want to shut the "benefit" systems down cause a few people abuse it. People also counterfeit money, forge checks, and steal credit card numbers. Should we stop using those systems too? People are always trying to get over; I don't know why you let it get to you when someone uses their food stamps to buy potato chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Food stamps can be used on energy drinks, but not energy supplements. Meaning if the can says "Nutritional Facts," like Red Bull or Full Throttle, it's okie dokie. But if it says "Supplement Facts" like Rockstar or Monster, it's a no go. Half the clerks don't know the difference, though, so it's a free-for-all.

It bothers me because benefits are based on needs, and when people are blowing their dollars on convenience store energy drinks and chewing gum, they use up their benefits and complain about needing more. Enough people complain about being hungry and not being able to feed their kids, the state gives them more. It offends me that public-paid benefits are used irresponsibly, yes. Really, this "Who gives a shit?" attitude is where problems become bigger problems.

Misuse of coupons costs the retailer, not the manufacturer, which drives up retail prices.

Did I mention I'm bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleta View Post
    Food stamps can be used on energy drinks, but not energy supplements. Meaning if the can says "Nutritional Facts," like Red Bull or Full Throttle, it's okie dokie. But if it says "Supplement Facts" like Rockstar or Monster, it's a no go. Half the clerks don't know the difference, though, so it's a free-for-all.

It bothers me because benefits are based on needs, and when people are blowing their dollars on convenience store energy drinks and chewing gum, they use up their benefits and complain about needing more. Enough people complain about being hungry and not being able to feed their kids, the state gives them more. It offends me that public-paid benefits are used irresponsibly, yes. Really, this "Who gives a shit?" attitude is where problems become bigger problems.

Misuse of coupons costs the retailer, not the manufacturer, which drives up retail prices.

No they don't. And complaining does nothing. They get what they get, and some people just seem to like being angry about shit (I can understand this).

You get taxes taken out of your check whether they buy chips or apples.

And you ever notice the people who complain the most about their "taxes" usually don't make shit? I mean I'll listen to millionaires talk about how their taxes fund things, but if you make $35k a year, you don't supply every single family with food stamps, pay a cops salary and the rest of the shit these people bitch about. How much are they taking from your check anyway!?!?

Well, sometimes you need a boost of energy if you are working 16 hours a day with 2 shit jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    Well, sometimes you need a boost of energy if you are working 16 hours a day with 2 shit jobs?
    Not on my dime.

Clerks don't need to know shit in most stores. The registers know what can be paid with food stamps and what can't, even at the little convenience stores. I don't think bitching gets them more food stamps, but I don't really know. I just know that people who think food stamp users are living the high life must be smoking crack.

I disagree, and there's some seriously inaccurate and ignorant logic.
    I'm just saying it's a flawed system.

Clerks don't need to know shit in most stores. The registers know what can be paid with food stamps and what can't, even at the little convenience stores. I don't think bitching gets them more food stamps, but I don't really know. I just know that people who think food stamp users are living the high life must be smoking crack.
    First of all...it doesn't. I don't know why people think poor folks have such a powerful lobby. And the state increases their benefits occasionally, like the way minimum wage gets increased, but I guess that angers Fleta too.

And about the high life.

I disagree, and there's some seriously inaccurate and ignorant logic.
    I'm just saying it's a flawed system.
    All systems are flawed. But you don't take it away from everyone because a FEW abuse it.

Every system is going to be abused. As long as there is a way to get over, people will find it. It's human nature. And besides, buying an energy drink isn't abusing it. If you saw them buy beer with it, your head would probably explode!

But nothing is perfect; that's why I say "who gives a shit?" cause some people work the system. If it bothers you that much, then turn them in or work it yourself.

Also: what is inaccurate and ignorant?

Nothing is perfect, Fleta. Every system is flawed and every system has people who take advantage. Although everyone (except me apparently) knows someone on food stamps who drives a BMW and is dripping with diamonds and just had their nails done, most of them are driving dumpy cars that barely run and living in tiny, cramped apartments or houses or mobile homes that they rent while they barely make enough money to get by. That might just be my experience, I suppose.

and how much gum are these people buying anyway?

Nothing is perfect, Fleta. Every system is flawed and every system has people who take advantage. Although everyone (except me apparently) knows someone on food stamps who drives a BMW and is dripping with diamonds and just had their nails done, most of them are driving dumpy cars that barely run and living in tiny, cramped apartments or houses or mobile homes that they rent while they barely make enough money to get by. That might just be my experience, I suppose.
    Nah, I'm like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    and how much gum are these people buying anyway?
    If you buy some $2 pack of gum, it comes out of your stamps, right? So then when your stamps are out of $$ you have to spend your $2 later on anyway. So what fucking difference does it make if they spend it on the card, or say "no, I'm using cash for the gum." I do not understand the problem.....

I have been approached inside a store to buy someones food stamps a couple times. When they switched food stamps from paper to a card, it changed nothing. That sucks when it is meant to feed kids.

And no, I didn't buy any. They did offer .50 cents on the dollar!

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post
    I have been approached inside a store to buy someones food stamps a couple times. When they switched food stamps from paper to a card, it changed nothing. That sucks when it is meant to feed kids.

I wish someone asked me.

I even have a bit of sympathy for people that are selling their food stamps... You can't buy tpaper, or advil, or diapers, or toothpaste. All things that you might find a need for. You can't use them to put gas in the 82 buick. I used to know a gal who was widowed and who got food stamps because she qualified for them and she desperately needed help but... she had food. She had a garden and grew much of what was needed, she could eat at her waitress job, and even bring leftovers home from the kitchen at the end of her shit. She kept chickens so she had eggs, etc., but paying the light bill and keeping the water on? and getting clothing on the kids and all of the rest of those things there was no money for. But her food stamps bought twice as much food as she and the kids really needed. So what do you do?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by poppy213 View Post

I know one thing it changed. They no longer get actual money back in change anymore that they can spend on whatever. When I worked at a convenience store there was a guy who came in and bought 5 cent pieces of bubble gum, each with a separate $1 food stamp, until he had enough change to buy cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I even have a bit of sympathy for people that are selling their food stamps... You can't buy tpaper, or advil, or diapers, or toothpaste. All things that you might find a need for. You can't use them to put gas in the 82 buick. I used to know a gal who was widowed and who got food stamps because she qualified for them and she desperately needed help but... she had food. She had a garden and grew much of what was needed, she could eat at her waitress job, and even bring leftovers home from the kitchen at the end of her shit. She kept chickens so she had eggs, etc., but paying the light bill and keeping the water on? and getting clothing on the kids and all of the rest of those things there was no money for. But her food stamps bought twice as much food as she and the kids really needed. So what do you do?

I started to post exactly this. Well not exactly, but exactly the same point. A thousand dollars worth of groceries don't mean shit if you can't pay the light bill or the rent.

I started to post exactly this. Well not exactly, but exactly the same point. A thousand dollars worth of groceries don't mean shit if you can't pay the light bill or the rent.
    well shit was Freudian. But fitting. She worked her butt off and had to steal toilet paper from work because she couldn't afford to buy any.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Sell the stamps and hope Fleta doesn't see you.

I know one thing it changed. They no longer get actual money back in change anymore that they can spend on whatever. When I worked at a convenience store there was a guy who came in and bought 5 cent pieces of bubble gum, each with a separate $1 food stamp, until he had enough change to buy cigarettes.
    That is insane, Kudos to him for putting the effort in though.
    They use an ATM card here, so unless you're all in someone's business you don't even know what is going on.

What I don't get about people being mad is that you don't know someone's circumstances. Like the girl Puzz mentioned. I mean if someone has a nice jacket and jewelry on, so what? It's not like when you lose your job your car turns back into a pumpkin. If someone has been out of work, and starting to deplete their savings, what's wrong with using benefits that you qualify for. Not to mention, some people are so vain that they will wear a tux if they have to use food stamps just to counter their shame factor.

I just don't get the looking at someone else at checkout and judging. It's not how I roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Sell the stamps and hope Fleta doesn't see you.

That is insane, Kudos to him for putting the effort in though.
    They use an ATM card here, so unless you're all in someone's business you don't even know what is going on.

What I don't get about people being mad is that you don't know someone's circumstances. Like the girl Puzz mentioned. I mean if someone has a nice jacket and jewelry on, so what? It's not like when you lose your job your car turns back into a pumpkin. If someone has been out of work, and starting to deplete their savings, what's wrong with using benefits that you qualify for. Not to mention, some people are so vain that they will wear a tux if they have to use food stamps just to counter their shame factor.

I just don't get the looking at someone else at checkout and judging. It's not how I roll.
    I love the people who apparently follow them out of the store because they know they are driving a really nice, expensive car. Are you kidding me? LOL Did you ask to see the registration? Did the car belong to them? Perhaps they have no car at all and they had to borrow one to come to the store. Did you ask how they got it? Maybe they have a nice relative who is better off and helped them out by giving them a not so junky car. Sometimes I go to ivillage and read the "welfare debate" board just to get my blood pumping. LOL Some people are unbelievable in the assumptions they make.

That's right! Alcoholic's would do that for beer. I know the homeless train hopper kids here would buy the big expensive olive oil on food stamps, and then return it to the store for wine money. I also remembering hearing about a pawnshop store that would buy the food stamp card. They had a way of scanning the card as if someone bought food at their store. They were a popular spot with the meth heads. I think that's what lead to them getting caught.

Corruption and scams is everywhere from politics all the way to welfare.

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Thread Information