Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lauren Spierer- Missing since June 3, 2011

The family of a missing Indiana University student is hitting back at the New York residents who used posters of people who have disappeared as Halloween decorations.
    Hiker James Rankin was walking through Berkeley Jackson County Park, in Huntington, when he discovered a number of trees with posted signs featuring a number of missing people. A local resident told police they were Halloween decorations.
    One of the posters was of Lauren Spierer, the Indiana University student who went missing in 2011.
    'We have seen the video comprised of many missing persons' posters, including Lauren's, placed in the woods,' her family said in a Facebook post.
    'I cannot comprehend what would compel someone to find this amusing or entertaining. Clearly they are not a family member of a missing person.'
    Spierer, then 20, vanished after what friends called a night of hard-partying in Bloomington.
    Her disappearance led to massive searches in the city and made national headlines.

Rankin posted footage of his bizarre discovery on his Facebook page.
    Several of the trunks have sheets of white A4 paper attached to them, each with details of a real missing person's case.
    The clip also shows a pile of twigs built into a shape of what appears to be a ritualistic altar.

Initially, Rankin thought he may have stumbled across the dump site of a particularly active serial killer.
    Rankin asks on the video: 'Who the f*** does something like this?'
    In total, there were more than a dozen posters featuring both missing women and a handful of men

After 12 minutes inspecting the site he said: 'We've got to get out of here. We've got to get as far away as possible.'
    After returning to civilization, Rankin contacted Suffolk County deputies to report his suspicions.
    Two days after posting the original video, Rankin updated his followers.

'The police have told me that the homeowner of the adjacent property is claiming this was set up for a "Halloween party," and that it would be taken down after Halloween,' he wrote. 'They are not investigating further.
    'What I wanna know is, if these were "Halloween party" decorations, why have they been hanging there for weeks or months?
    'Because it was plainly obvious that the stuff had been there for quite a while, and not set up recently. That's clearly the case as seen in the videos. Seems to me they're just using the time of year as an excuse (just my opinion).'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4MOD9j0bC
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That's pretty rude. I wonder if they'd be as upset if they were fake missing people. Recently, the father of Kelley Thomas has been fighting Knotts Scary Farm over a virtual reality attraction in which you are strapped into a wheelchair in an asylum while an escaped patient kills everyone. Apparently, people are offended that they use mental illness to scare people when there are real people suffering from it. I'm having a hard time getting on board with that one because the attraction sounds fun and I like being scared.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    That's pretty rude. I wonder if they'd be as upset if they were fake missing people. Recently, the father of Kelley Thomas has been fighting Knotts Scary Farm over a virtual reality attraction in which you are strapped into a wheelchair in an asylum while an escaped patient kills everyone. Apparently, people are offended that they use mental illness to scare people when there are real people suffering from it. I'm having a hard time getting on board with that one because the attraction sounds fun and I like being scared.
    I think sometimes people look for things to be offended by. I think the scary crazy people escaping and killing people has been around for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I think sometimes people look for things to be offended by. I think the scary crazy people escaping and killing people has been around for thousands of years.
    Yeah, but an appeal to tradition isn't a sound argument. I mean, I like axe wielding maniacs as much as the next guy, but I suppose sometimes, what I like sometimes has to take a back seat. It's like all the arguments about accurate representation of people. If the only thing we see are images and stories of murderous psychos, we are more likely to assume that all people with mental health issues are murderous psychos, just like when all you see or read about are black gang members killing people, you begin to think all black people are gang members.

It's almost like, since some stupid people can't make the connection that fantasy is not reality, everyone has to give up some things to be sure the fantasy is not taken as truth. I don't like having to do it, but I will because the gains are more important than my wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I had a feeling one of the family members of the missing people, whose posters were strewn about in the woods, would be contacted by the media. I'm sure every time a new tip or story like this comes up, it reopens emotional wounds.

Halloween is a ways away, and even if there was a "haunted woods" attraction, I don't see how these missing people posters would be part of the decor. They could have made fake posters easily that wouldn't offend anyone.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Yeah, but an appeal to tradition isn't a sound argument. I mean, I like axe wielding maniacs as much as the next guy, but I suppose sometimes, what I like sometimes has to take a back seat. It's like all the arguments about accurate representation of people. If the only thing we see are images and stories of murderous psychos, we are more likely to assume that all people with mental health issues are murderous psychos, just like when all you see or read about are black gang members killing people, you begin to think all black people are gang members.

It's almost like, since some stupid people can't make the connection that fantasy is not reality, everyone has to give up some things to be sure the fantasy is not taken as truth. I don't like having to do it, but I will because the gains are more important than my wants.
    I can see both sides of it. It doesn't help that too many straight out killers try the insanity defense. Being the sister of a girl who was murdered and raped by a black guy, I guess there are tons of things that could "bother" me if I claimed that "right," but I just think its a waste of time and energy. I think the father of the girl with the mental health issues knows that not everyone is going to feel that they're being used as props for people to make money and I can separate the fact that the black guy that murdered and raped my sister doesn't represent the majority of his people. I think we can make choices upon which platform we are going to make a stand.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I love Ron to death, you know that and I understand how some people would take offense to it but I'm not necessarily on his side with this one. I believe that Halloween is the ONE DAY out of the year where anything goes and if people are offended or dislike something, they don't partake in it. If we were to adhere to the same logic that he is using with that attraction, then nobody could put up a witch decoration because it's offensive toward a religion, no mummies because it's offensive toward Egyptian and other similar cultures etc etc.

I agree that the original name of the attraction using the "5150" term was a horrible move and if it were a year round thing, I'd side eye and not be on board. But it's Halloween and it's an attraction. We can't exactly ban all Horror films with escaped maniacs now, can we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

On the above, I think if you covered a forest in legit missing posters any day of the year, and wrote a meaningful note about how you can visually see the impact and sheer loss in numbers of the missing, it could actually be a very moving display.

I also think it DOES fit Halloween - as a kid nothing scared me more gab when missing persons stories flashed across my screen - it's a real horror. (Also I thought they were hiding in my house? Weird.) BUT if to use it in this way, you'd still have to use it in the function of showcasing loss and trying to get a greater point across. I'd also suggest using fake photos and names in this sense, because it IS for a one day 'holiday' and they're being 'used'.

If any of that made sense.

I am reading a book called American Predator about Israel Keyes and apparently a lot of investigators think he took Lauren. I didn't know that before.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I am reading a book called American Predator about Israel Keyes and apparently a lot of investigators think he took Lauren. I didn't know that before.
    Wow, really? That is not a theory I have heard before.

I don't know much about that guy. I'm assuming he was in the area that Lauren disappeared from, around that time?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I don't know much about that guy. I'm assuming he was in the area that Lauren disappeared from, around that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Wow, really? That is not a theory I have heard before.
    I hadn't really heard it either, other than maybe someone throwing out the name of every missing person ever and saying "maybe Israel Keyes killed this person". Now I've gone down the rabbit hole on it, and I see even the lead detective on her case supposedly thinks he did it.

This guy is the guy that haunts my nightmares (and only partially because he looks and acts like my ex business partner that I am convinced is a serial killer). I don't like to read up on him because it's the only killer that actually gets in my head when I read about him, but I'm fascinated by him too. I was thinking about him because of the recent book I read on Lollie Winans and Julie Williams. He liked to hunt in national parks, and I was just curious if anyone had ever tried to connect him to that murder. The FBI used his travel records https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/docu...s_timeline.pdf to try to pinpoint victims after he killed himself.

He would fly from him home to somewhere in the other part of the country (usually to visit family or go on a cruise) and then get in a car, turn off his cell phone, and drive thousands of miles to hunt people. He would bury kill kits in areas and then not come back for a year or so and then he would hunt. He was indiscriminate on who he would kill (men, women, kids), he killed the victims in multiple ways (strangulation, scalding, stabbing, shooting), he would do it where he had a tiny window of time, so that he could try to alibi himself, and then he would go back to a fun trip with his family. He never left any physical evidence of himself.

There is a guy who does a podcast (True Crime Bullshit) that covers all things Keyes. I don't love the way he does it. I am not a podcast person in general (would much rather read something), but I have attempted to listed to a few of them with interviews of Keyes. They talk about him a lot on Reddit. I am guessing that most of this came from him, but this is a pretty good summary of the Lauren/Keyes connection. https://www.reddit.com/r/LaurenSpier...ectly_linking/

Here is our thread on him: http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ighlight=keyes

And our thread on the kidnapping/murder that got him caught: http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...-she-worked-at

This is the book I read this weekend. It's not terribly long, but it's interesting: https://www.amazon.com/American-Pred.../dp/B07L2GMT7J
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-26-2024 at 10:46 AM.

I hadn't really heard it either, other than maybe someone throwing out the name of every missing person ever and saying "maybe Israel Keyes killed this person". Now I've gone down the rabbit hole on it, and I see even the lead detective on her case supposedly thinks he did it.

This guy is the guy that haunts my nightmares (and only partially because he looks and acts like my ex business partner that I am convinced is a serial killer). I don't like to read up on him because it's the only killer that actually gets in my head when I read about him, but I'm fascinated by him too. I was thinking about him because of the recent book I read on Lollie Winans and Julie Williams. He liked to hunt in national parks, and I was just curious if anyone had ever tried to connect him to that murder. The FBI used his travel records https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/docu...s_timeline.pdf to try to pinpoint victims after he killed himself.

He would fly from him home to somewhere in the other part of the country (usually to visit family or go on a cruise) and then get in a car, turn off his cell phone, and drive thousands of miles to hunt people. He would bury kill kits in areas and then not come back for a year or so and then he would hunt. He was indiscriminate on who he would kill (men, women, kids), he killed the victims in multiple ways (strangulation, scalding, stabbing, shooting), he would do it where he had a tiny window of time, so that he could try to alibi himself, and then he would go back to a fun trip with his family. He never left any physical evidence of himself.

There is a guy who does a podcast (True Crime Bullshit) that covers all things Keyes. I don't love the way he does it. I am not a podcast person in general (would much rather read something), but I have attempted to listed to a few of them with interviews of Keyes. They talk about him a lot on Reddit. I am guessing that most of this came from him, but this is a pretty good summary of the Lauren/Keyes connection. https://www.reddit.com/r/LaurenSpier...ectly_linking/
    He is the guy who abducted and killed that girl from the coffee shop, right? I watched some sort of special on ID but I don't remember much about him, other than he killed himself and I was disappointed because I was sure he had more victims he didn't mention.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

He is the guy who abducted and killed that girl from the coffee shop, right? I watched some sort of special on ID but I don't remember much about him, other than he killed himself and I was disappointed because I was sure he had more victims he didn't mention.
    Yes. I edited and linked her thread (and his separate one) above. He kidnapped her, raped and killed her and a few minutes later he and his daughter got a taxi to the airport and flew out for a cruise. After the cruise he visited family in the Dallas area and they think he killed a man there before he robbed a bank. He then returned to Alaska and had sex with her body, put makeup on her and fixed her hair (she was outside in a shed and it was cold so she was pretty preserved) and then sewed her eyes open and sent a 'proof of life' picture for a ransom. Then he cut her up and dumped her in a lake. He was one evil, sick fuck.

This is such an interesting link I never thought of, as soon as I can rep you I will. Amazing updates.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Yes. I edited and linked her thread (and his separate one) above. He kidnapped her, raped and killed her and a few minutes later he and his daughter got a taxi to the airport and flew out for a cruise. After the cruise he visited family in the Dallas area and they think he killed a man there before he robbed a bank. He then returned to Alaska and had sex with her body, put makeup on her and fixed her hair (she was outside in a shed and it was cold so she was pretty preserved) and then sewed her eyes open and sent a 'proof of life' picture for a ransom. Then he cut her up and dumped her in a lake. He was one evil, sick fuck.
    So evil. I think that is why he terrified so many. I am going to try to do a deep dive into the theory of him being involved in Lauren's death as soon as I can.

Thread Information