Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelby Armstrong (16) death by "Dusting"

Re: Shelby Armstrong (16) death by "Dusting"

Yenno....I don't know if this is a bad thing but sometimes when I can't sleep, I take a shot of some Nyquil to help me doze off.

[quote author=hester link=topic=5013.msg194952#msg194952 date=1172035518]
    it this like doing whip-its or poppers or nos?  are those all like doing the same thing?  i thought i was so up to date on the whole drug thing...  i remember i had a boyfriend once who used to drink cough syrup...  when we were together we just stuck to pot.  thank god i'm old!
    [/quote]

OLD???  Uh, no.  Enjoy your youth.  Please.  

[quote author=desireforfate link=topic=5013.msg194955#msg194955 date=1172036113]
    Yenno....I don't know if this is a bad thing but sometimes when I can't sleep, I take a shot of some Nyquil to help me doze off.
    [/quote]

Well I guess we'll be seeing you on here soon.  Make sure your MS is the way you want it.

[quote author=mm123 link=topic=5013.msg194956#msg194956 date=1172036138]
    OLD???  Uh, no.  Enjoy your youth.  Please.  
    [/quote]

well, i'm old on the inside.  plus i wear eyeglasses and cardigans...  also, i get grumpy when the musics too loud or i haven't had a nap.  that almost counts, no?

[quote author=hester link=topic=5013.msg194960#msg194960 date=1172036365]
    well, i'm old on the inside.  plus i wear eyeglasses and cardigans...  also, i get grumpy when the musics too loud or i haven't had a nap.  that almost counts, no?
    [/quote]

Ha!  Just wait - when you're my age you have to turn the music UP to hear it! 

Sounds like you're just grown up and responsible.  Good job!

my two cents.

i think it's lame that folks are quick to blame the mother for not doing anything to prevent her daughter's death.  you never know...she may have tried talking with her before hand or may have punished her, etc. have y'all seen the video accompanying the news article? her mother went on TV, blasted pictures of her daughter for the world to see in the hopes of raising awareness of the issues.  she could have easily just mourned for her daughter in private, instead she wanted to let other parents know that it could happen to their child.

i have much respect for her moms for turning a tragedy into a learning opportunity. 

she was in a bathtub. didnt drive in a car..

[quote author=knuckle-up link=topic=5013.msg195022#msg195022 date=1172041935]
    my two cents.

i think it's lame that folks are quick to blame the mother for not doing anything to prevent her daughter's death.  you never know...she may have tried talking with her before hand or may have punished her, etc. have y'all seen the video accompanying the news article? her mother went on TV, blasted pictures of her daughter for the world to see in the hopes of raising awareness of the issues.  she could have easily just mourned for her daughter in private, instead she wanted to let other parents know that it could happen to their child.

i have much respect for her moms for turning a tragedy into a learning opportunity. 
    [/quote]

But, the bottom line (for me) is that Shelby was SIXTEEN.  She was a CHILD. 
    Her MOTHER (and father, if he's in the picture) are ultimately responsible for her behavior!

Good for her for going on TV to "raise awareness," but where was she when her baby needed her?  There were blatant admissions of drug use all over her child's myspace page - and not just pot.

She had to have known even if she were only a marginally competent parent.

[quote author=CrAzY JaY link=topic=5013.msg194892#msg194892 date=1172030904]
    I CANT help it but say it again... HER MOM KNEW??? what the hell???  What a STUPID WAY TO GET HIGH!!! I think if i found my kid huffing or dusting or being a fuckin jackass, I think that I might actually buy them weed and say.. "HERE, you want to get high??? HERE, smoke a little weed, it'll last longer and you cant OD. you can thank me later!"
    :2tongue: :2tongue: :2tongue: :2tongue: :2tongue:

Mom should be arrested for stupidity while parenting.
    [/quote]

:lol: that was awesome...i agree
    I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between.
    ― Sylvia Plath

No. whippets or Nitrous Oxide Is laughing gas like the dentist uses, or to make your car go fast.

You can die from it, but not out of a whippet or whip creamed can. Takes a lot of it, and odds are you will be giggling your ass off too much.

I'm not sure what it's like.

Other bad things kids inhale or used too in the day.

White out correction fluid.
    Gold Paint
    Glue
    Lacquer Thinner.
    Gasoline.
    Pam.

[quote author=desireforfate link=topic=5013.msg194861#msg194861 date=1172029260]
    what gets me is...who the hell still takes baths now a day? I haven't tooken an actual bath in like...10 years.
    [/quote]
    Are you serious?  I take a bath every single day.  Gotta sit that monkey down in some water.  :2cool:

Yes!! I submitted this one afternoon and it's already on here!  It took me forever to find her cause of death because not ONE of her friends gave any hints as to what it was...and none of them seemed too shocked that it killed her.

She was such a pretty young thing...

Her and Michelle Williams could pass as twins.

I guess I don't see all the blatant admissions of drug use. I saw the 'acid on xmas' pic (but, it was not at her home btw, she was at a friends house) and the i'm 'gone' comment in her blog but I didn't see anything else....where are they?

Maybe the mom was trying to help her. Who knows, maybe she tried to or did put her in a drug program or in a rehab and she went back to it after. We just don't know if the mom was aware of her using currently and/or trying to prevent her from using. (Actually I'm not even sure if they would admit a kid in rehab for huffing cleaners, or taking acid a couple times unless it were like a compulsive or addiction type of problem.)

I hope the mom wasn't just looking the other way. I can't imagine the guilt she would have if that were the case. Her daughter could have built her trust back up after the accident, making all sorts of promises and then continued to do it but sneakily. I highly doubt the mom was just looking the other way, I guess I like to think that couldn't be the case! I would think the mom probably freaked in the fall after the accident, and she probably tried to teach her daughter the dangers of her behavior.

[quote author=CrAzY JaY link=topic=5013.msg194892#msg194892 date=1172030904]
    I think if i found my kid huffing or dusting or being a fuckin jackass, I think that I might actually buy them weed and say.. "HERE, you want to get high??? HERE, smoke a little weed, it'll last longer and you cant OD. you can thank me later!"
    Mom should be arrested for stupidity while parenting.
    [/quote]

I agree about the weed, quite a bit safer...but then mom could be charged for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. But, I think I'd rather be charged than to bury my child.

[quote author=kr1234 link=topic=5013.msg194887#msg194887 date=1172030641]
    a few weeks before her death, her friend tyler left her a comment:

Jan 18, 2007 5:33 PM
    i didn't know you were still alive

:2embarrassed:
    [/quote]

Damn

[quote author=knuckle-up link=topic=5013.msg195022#msg195022 date=1172041935]
    my two cents.

[/quote]

My 2 cents, the mom was aware of the what her daughter was doing.  Her daughter died from this.  If mom did not have her daughter forced into rehab (she was a minor, she would have no choice) then her mom is negligent and contributed to her daughter's death.
    It groovy that she wants to spread awareness NOW but how does she explain sticking her head in the sand while her daughter was killing herself?

This was preventable so I do not see it as a tragedy.  The learning opportunity provided here is to parent your child and not assume that they are mature level headed adults just because they think they are.

Actually, if they are over 15 yrs old they can refuse treatment. Unless they are in imminent danger of hurting themselves...as in suicidal, or if they are homicidal, then the parent or even someone else can admit them for a 72 hr hold. At least that is what I was told here in Oregon.

When my oldest daughter was 15 she had a really bad neck ache and fever and they wanted to do a spinal tap. They told me she could refuse it if she wanted to, I had to convince her of the importance of the test. Which they never could get any fluid and they gave her stuff to make her have an amnesia-like effect of the experience, it did nothing for the pain. The doctor said if it were his kid he would just treat it as if it were positive for meningitis so they didn't have to keep digging in her spine. It was very painful and she had maxed out on the meds, so to continue they needed to use xray to direct them but she wouldn't get anymore drugs...I said forget it, give her the antibiotics.

I guess you didn't need the whole story!   

Now she my friends is prolly the hottest death I have seen... R.I.P.

[quote author=death_roe link=topic=5013.msg195106#msg195106 date=1172068871]
    Actually, if they are over 15 yrs old they can refuse treatment. Unless they are in imminent danger of hurting themselves...as in suicidal, or if they are homicidal, then the parent or even someone else can admit them for a 72 hr hold. At least that is what I was told here in Oregon.

When my oldest daughter was 15 she had a really bad neck ache and fever and they wanted to do a spinal tap. They told me she could refuse it if she wanted to, I had to convince her of the importance of the test. Which they never could get any fluid and they gave her stuff to make her have an amnesia-like effect of the experience, it did nothing for the pain. The doctor said if it were his kid he would just treat it as if it were positive for meningitis so they didn't have to keep digging in her spine. It was very painful and she had maxed out on the meds, so to continue they needed to use xray to direct them but she wouldn't get anymore drugs...I said forget it, give her the antibiotics.

I guess you didn't need the whole story!   
    [/quote]

Perhaps I'm an evil parent but if I thought for one second that my kid could die to this behavior you better believe I'd tell the authorities that they are a danger to themselves or others to get them hospitalized.  72 hours is a good start, better than grounding them, seriously.  I'm not one to throw my hands up and say there is nothing I can do.  I couldn't have let my teenager go down like that without a fight.

Good story by the way, I would've done what you did. 

I agree that the mom could have done more, but really we don't know what she did to try to help her daughter.  Teenagers can be very good liars, and we don't know anything about the conversation that happened after the car accident.  The mother could have honestly thought that the accident taught her daughter a valuable lesson, and parents can't stop their kids from doing anything.  My mom was a very good mom, very involved and open, and very not interested in being my friend.  Parenting always came first.  But I tried dusting when I was young and stupid.  I tried alot of things when I was young and stupid.  My mom didn't know, or if she did, she was powerless to stop it.  At that point in my life, rehab would have just pissed me off and made me more rebellious when I got out.

While there may have been more she could have done, let's not forget that this woman lost her daughter.  If that's not punishment enough for a bit of ignorance, I don't know what is.
    <br />[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=5761.msg240799#msg240799 date=1174358453]<br />I wish I could applaud Virginia more than 1 time &#039;per hours&#039; <br />[/quote]

OKAY, The way you do duster is not with the straw.&nbsp; You put the nozzle directly into your mouth and inhale.&nbsp; It's a really cheap and dirty version of a whip-it.&nbsp; If you take a little bit, it just makes you see weird colors and you feel like you're drunk while there's a &quot;wah-wah-wah&quot; noise in your head.&nbsp; If you take too much, you pass out.&nbsp; This is probably what happened to Shelby.&nbsp; Just like with anything else, you build up a tolerance, and have to take more and more....&nbsp; This is so dangerous.&nbsp; :hitwitrock:

I'm going to go ahead and bet that there's a good chance her friends will come here eventually...

[quote author=cjnenno link=topic=5013.msg195114#msg195114 date=1172069591]
    OKAY, The way you do duster is not with the straw.&nbsp; You put the nozzle directly into your mouth and inhale.&nbsp; It's a really cheap and dirty version of a whip-it.&nbsp; If you take a little bit, it just makes you see weird colors and you feel like you're drunk while there's a &quot;wah-wah-wah&quot; noise in your head.&nbsp; If you take too much, you pass out.&nbsp; This is probably what happened to Shelby.&nbsp; Just like with anything else, you build up a tolerance, and have to take more and more....&nbsp; This is so dangerous.&nbsp; &nbsp;:hitwitrock:
    [/quote]

Thanks for the directions...I will go try now. :2eyesbleed:

[quote author=Virginia link=topic=5013.msg195111#msg195111 date=1172069466]
    I agree that the mom could have done more, but really we don't know what she did to try to help her daughter.&nbsp; Teenagers can be very good liars, and we don't know anything about the conversation that happened after the car accident.&nbsp; The mother could have honestly thought that the accident taught her daughter a valuable lesson, and parents can't stop their kids from doing anything.&nbsp; My mom was a very good mom, very involved and open, and very not interested in being my friend.&nbsp; Parenting always came first.&nbsp; But I tried dusting when I was young and stupid.&nbsp; I tried alot of things when I was young and stupid.&nbsp; My mom didn't know, or if she did, she was powerless to stop it. At that point in my life, rehab would have just pissed me off and made me more rebellious when I got out.

While there may have been more she could have done, let's not forget that this woman lost her daughter.&nbsp; If that's not punishment enough for a bit of ignorance, I don't know what is.
    [/quote]

I felt that way too about my mom.&nbsp; You know what I think now about her?&nbsp; That she was selfish, only concerned about herself and obviously didn't give a shit about me.&nbsp; Hence the nosy, pain in the ass, always up in my business mom, yeah, that would be me.

[quote author=Virginia link=topic=5013.msg195111#msg195111 date=1172069466]
    I agree that the mom could have done more, but really we don't know what she did to try to help her daughter.&nbsp; Teenagers can be very good liars, and we don't know anything about the conversation that happened after the car accident.&nbsp; The mother could have honestly thought that the accident taught her daughter a valuable lesson, and parents can't stop their kids from doing anything.&nbsp; My mom was a very good mom, very involved and open, and very not interested in being my friend.&nbsp; Parenting always came first.&nbsp; But I tried dusting when I was young and stupid.&nbsp; I tried alot of things when I was young and stupid.&nbsp; My mom didn't know, or if she did, she was powerless to stop it.&nbsp; At that point in my life, rehab would have just pissed me off and made me more rebellious when I got out.

While there may have been more she could have done, let's not forget that this woman lost her daughter.&nbsp; If that's not punishment enough for a bit of ignorance, I don't know what is.
    [/quote]

*applaud*

I agree just because she is talking NOW about what she thinks contributed to her daughters death doesn't mean she knew all along and was derelict in her duty as parent... It's a real shame and good for her to share her experience, kids NEED to know that things like this can and do kill, even to beautiful invincible 16 year olds.

What a mom! she knew her daughter had a problem, yet did nothing. I can promise you this much, if my daughter had a wreck because of huffing and I knew this to be a fact, her little 16 year old ass would be in rehab. asap! &nbsp;Great job mom!! &nbsp;I guess she's one of those mothers that wanted to be her daughters best friend instead of a parent! &nbsp;Well, now she'll have to live with the fact that she never got her daughter any help, if she had maybe her young daughter would still be alive.

RIP Shelby

Thread Information