Thread: Teenage model dies six months after anorexic sister

Teenage model dies six months after anorexic sister

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/two-sisters-both-models-die/2007/02/15/1171405328301.html

Family tragedy as two sisters, both models, die

Two sisters, both models, have died of apparent heart attacks within months of each other - a family tragedy that came as the fashion world debates how to protect the health of painfully thin runway models.

Eliana Ramos, 18, was found dead at her grandparent's home in the Uruguayan capital on Tuesday, officials said.

Her sister Luisel, 22, died shortly after stepping off a runway last August during a fashion show in Montevideo.

While no medical report was immediately released after Eliana's death, Judge Roberto Timbal told the online news outlet Observa that she died of a heart attack.

An autopsy on her sister found she died of a heart attack.

The judge told Observa that "nothing out of the ordinary" appeared to be involved in Eliana's death, but that an autopsy was conducted and final test results would be issued in a month.

Other models said neither sister suffered from an eating disorder.

However, the deaths drew widespread media attention in Latin America, where the fashion industry's treatment of young women has been the subject of debate since anorexia was blamed for the deaths of model Ana Carolina Reston and three other Brazilian women in December.

The Council of Fashion of Designers of America recently issued voluntary guidelines to curb the showcasing of too-thin models.

The recommendations include banning models younger than 16 and requiring those identified with eating disorders to get professional help.

In September, Madrid Fashion Week banned models with a body mass index of less than 18.

The standard accepted by the World Health Organisation is that anyone with an index under 18.5 is underweight.

In a December deal with the Italian fashion industry, designers there agreed not to hire models younger than 16, and to require all models to submit medical proof that they do not suffer from eating disorders.

Luis Ramos, father of the Ramos sisters, is a former soccer player for Uruguayan squad Nacional, and was reportedly vacationing with his wife elsewhere in the country at the time of Eliana's death.

Lucia Brocal, a model who shared the runway with Eliana, dismissed speculation that poor eating habits were linked to her death.

"I'm indignant," she said of some local reports speculating about the death. "She died for the same reasons her sister did."

Erika Fallen, another model, also rejected speculation that an eating disorder could have played a role.

"Whenever something happens, they try to relate it to eating problems. But she died just like her sister did," she said.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Re: Teenage model dies six months after anorexic sister

[quote author=brie star link=topic=4887.msg190314#msg190314 date=1171578598]
    "I'm indignant," she said of some local reports speculating about the death. "She died for the same reasons her sister did."

Erika Fallen, another model, also rejected speculation that an eating disorder could have played a role.

"Whenever something happens, they try to relate it to eating problems. But she died just like her sister did," she said.
    [/quote]

uhhh... what? how are they suggesting her sister died, then? what are these "reasons"?

yeah, she DID die for the same reasons her sister did; she did die just like her sister... why does that mean it wasn't from an eating disorder?
    [quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=4526.msg172502#msg172502 date=1170561506]<br />How can you have any lack of love for SG!?!?<br /><br />I tink shes more kewler then most!<br />[/quote]

I thought I read yesterday that they might have both died of heart trouble, but I don't know where.

I mean, she's not exactly robust, but I've seen thinner.&nbsp; Either way, this is awful for their family.&nbsp; I can't imagine if two of my kids died like so close together.

right but heart trouble is a direct result of both anorexia and bulemia.
    [quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=4526.msg172502#msg172502 date=1170561506]<br />How can you have any lack of love for SG!?!?<br /><br />I tink shes more kewler then most!<br />[/quote]

It's definitely possible that they both had heart problems to begin with, and then their eating disorders are what started their downhill descent.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/second-model-sister-dies-of-malnutrition/2007/02/14/1171405285731.html

A teenage Uruguayan model has died from apparent malnutrition, just six months after her elder model sister died from from heart failure caused by malnutrition.

The woman, identified as Eliana Ramos, 18, was found dead in her home in Montevideo by relatives, local television reported.

Preliminary examinations indicated sudden death caused by malnutrition, the report said.

Her sister, 22-year-old Luisel Ramos, died of heart failure in August while performing a catwalk show at a Montevideo hotel.

Her death sparked a new debate within the modelling industry over &quot;0-sized&quot; models.

Other deaths of models have been reported in Brazil, most recently in November.

[quote author=XXXXXX link=topic=4887.msg190360#msg190360 date=1171580102]
    mean, she's not exactly robust, but I've seen thinner.
    [/quote]

How sad is it that I thought the same thing?&nbsp; But maybe she wasn't naturally thin.&nbsp; I always talk myself out of anorexia cause I could see myself dying because I'd be rejected from some eating disorder clinic cause I was a size 6 and they deemed me too fat to be in danger.

she's extremely thin.

She is thin, but this might be my own body dysmorphia coming into play here.&nbsp;
    To me, I wouldn't have looked at her and thought she was too thin.&nbsp;
    I would have seen what, to me, looked normal - like you, or Pandora.

But I've always been fat, so I'm not sure what 'normal' even looks like&nbsp; :|

i don't look at her and think &quot;that girl is dying,&quot; but i'd definitely say &quot;wow, she's skinny.&quot; i can tell you that i estimate she weighs 50 lbs less than me from this picture, so no matter whether we are fat, normal, OR skinny, we probably aren't in the same category.

:( i have raging issues about this too... body dysmorphia sucks. my response though is usually to get super defensive and condemn anybody skinny as having a problem to make myself feel better (i still honestly think this girl is very thin, though).

[quote author=saidgrace link=topic=4887.msg190492#msg190492 date=1171586002]
    i don't look at her and think &quot;that girl is dying,&quot; but i'd definitely say &quot;wow, she's skinny.&quot; i can tell you that i estimate she weighs 50 lbs less than me from this picture, so no matter whether we are fat, normal, OR skinny, we probably aren't in the same category.

:( i have raging issues about this too... body dysmorphia sucks. my response though is usually to get super defensive and condemn anybody skinny as having a problem to make myself feel better (i still honestly think this girl is very thin, though).
    [/quote]
    ahhh...
    Western beauty standards.
    I'm always astounded when pretty girls are affected by it, too.&nbsp; :-(

[quote author=saidgrace link=topic=4887.msg190492#msg190492 date=1171586002]
    i don't look at her and think &quot;that girl is dying,&quot; but i'd definitely say &quot;wow, she's skinny.&quot; [/quote]

Right, that's how I felt. &nbsp;I would have surely thought &quot;maybe she should have a ham sandwich&quot; but in that photo, she looks relatively healthy to me. &nbsp;I've been hospitalized with some pretty bad ED cases (hehe I was in a different section of the hospital obviously) and some of those chicks looked like they were on the brink &nbsp;of death in my eyes.

okay, okay... i guess 50 lbs is a little overboard on my part, depending on how tall she is... but it's gotta be at least 30.

You guys... just because she doesn't look anorexic in that picture doesn't mean she looked like that when she died.&nbsp; Ana Carolina Reston died with a BMI of 13.4, but in her modeling pictures she looks &quot;normal model-thin.&quot;
    Bisexual black female<br />in search of straight male<br />for love relationship<br />...long walks on the beach<br />...a good book in front of the fire<br />..and lots and lots of anal sex<br />--send photo--

word.

[quote author=saidgrace link=topic=4887.msg190523#msg190523 date=1171587830]
    word.
    [/quote]

[quote author=XXXXXX link=topic=4887.msg190360#msg190360 date=1171580102]
    I thought I read yesterday that they might have both died of heart trouble, but I don't know where.

I mean, she's not exactly robust, but I've seen thinner. Either way, this is awful for their family.&nbsp; I can't imagine if two of my kids died like so close together.
    [/quote] It's comments like this that make people want to be anorexic :) I know you didnt mean it like that..
    she doesn't look deadly thin, but look at her arms... thats normally where you can truly tell if someone is seriously thin.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

oh I remember when her sister died. The family and boyfriend denied anorexia as a cause because she ate Pizza the night before(lol). I guess the family got really upset because she supposedly had no prior problems with an ED.&nbsp;

Aside from that a lot of times when recovering from an ED the heart can not take it and it gives out, so many &quot;recovered anorexic's&quot; die like this.

SOAD

[quote author=brie star link=topic=4887.msg190314#msg190314 date=1171578598]

[/quote]

&quot;IM SO HUNGRY I COULD EAT A HORSE&quot;

surprised no-one else thought of that

:lol: :lol: @ SOAD!! classic...

Thread Information