Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Mexico's solution to drunk driving: Urinal cakes!!

New Mexico's solution to drunk driving: Urinal cakes!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070214/ap_on_fe_st/dwi_urinals_1

SANTA FE, N.M. - New Mexico is taking its fight against drunken driving to men's restrooms around the state. The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.

"Hey there, big guy. Having a few drinks?" a female voice says a few seconds after an approaching male sets off a motion sensor in the device. "It's time to call a cab or ask a sober friend for a ride home."

Transportation Department spokesman S.U. Mahesh said the urinal cakes are a way to reach one group that's a target of state safety campaigns. Men commit about three times as many drunken-driving infractions as women.

The devices, manufactured by New York-based Healthquest Technologies Inc., were invented by Richard Deutsch. He said there's no other device like it on the market.

"The idea is based on the concept that there is no more captive audience than a guy standing at a urinal," Deutsch said. "You can't look right and you can't look left; you've got to look at the ad."

Public awareness campaigns in New York, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Australia have used the devices, as have commercial advertisers.

In New Mexico, the device uses the state DWI slogan "You drink, you drive, you lose."

Some Albuquerque bars installed the devices this week, and the state plans to distribute them to Santa Fe bars and restaurants as well as establishments in Farmington, Gallup and Las Cruces.

The state spent $21 for each talking urinal cake for the pilot program but will ask bars and restaurants to pay for future orders if the idea catch on, Mahesh said.

The cakes have enough battery power to last about three months.

tax $$ at work!! I would like one that screams in horror when peed upon, though :2angry:
    <br /><br />

Re: New Mexico's solution to drunk driving: Urinal cakes!!

I think this is great!! What a great way to stop drunk driving...have some urinal tell a man he's too shit-faced to drive. That would make me laugh like hell if I was drunk. I'd be showing all my friends.

[quote author=*peaches* link=topic=4853.msg189156#msg189156 date=1171498924]
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070214/ap_on_fe_st/dwi_urinals_1

SANTA FE, N.M. - New Mexico is taking its fight against drunken driving to men's restrooms around the state. The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.

&quot;Hey there, big guy. Having a few drinks?&quot; a female voice says a few seconds after an approaching male sets off a motion sensor in the device. &quot;It's time to call a cab or ask a sober friend for a ride home.&quot;

Transportation Department spokesman S.U. Mahesh said the urinal cakes are a way to reach one group that's a target of state safety campaigns. Men commit about three times as many drunken-driving infractions as women.

The devices, manufactured by New York-based Healthquest Technologies Inc., were invented by Richard Deutsch. He said there's no other device like it on the market.

&quot;The idea is based on the concept that there is no more captive audience than a guy standing at a urinal,&quot; Deutsch said. &quot;You can't look right and you can't look left; you've got to look at the ad.&quot;

Public awareness campaigns in New York, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Australia have used the devices, as have commercial advertisers.

In New Mexico, the device uses the state DWI slogan &quot;You drink, you drive, you lose.&quot;

Some Albuquerque bars installed the devices this week, and the state plans to distribute them to Santa Fe bars and restaurants as well as establishments in Farmington, Gallup and Las Cruces.

The state spent $21 for each talking urinal cake for the pilot program but will ask bars and restaurants to pay for future orders if the idea catch on, Mahesh said.

The cakes have enough battery power to last about three months.

tax $$ at work!! I would like one that screams in horror when peed upon, though :2angry:
    [/quote]

Looks like I'm going to have to visit my local bar this weekend to see if I can check one of these bad boys out! We have so many damn drunk driving accidents here that I think they're willing to do just about anything to try to deter people from driving drunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Fuckin LawChick, how does she work?

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=4853.msg189365#msg189365 date=1171509975]
    Looks like I'm going to have to visit my local bar this weekend to see if I can check one of these bad boys out! We have so many damn drunk driving accidents here that I think they're willing to do just about anything to try to deter people from driving drunk.
    [/quote]

Do you live in New Mexico?
    <br /><br />

Wouldn't it be lest costly to come out with talking toilets.&nbsp; That way both the women's and men's bathrooms can be monitored?

I so have this picture of a guy standing over the urinal yelling at it&nbsp; &nbsp; :lol:
    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

usually when a guy is drunk they dont go to a bathroom

they just pick a tree

[quote author=*peaches* link=topic=4853.msg190467#msg190467 date=1171584613]
    Do you live in New Mexico?
    [/quote]

Yes I do. I'm not sure how I'll make my way into the men's bathroom but I'm going to give it a shot.
    No one ever gets me. Where is Lawchick? We speak the same intellectual language.

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=4853.msg192853#msg192853 date=1171854421]
    Yes I do. I'm not sure how I'll make my way into the men's bathroom but I'm going to give it a shot.
    [/quote]

Go! Go! Go!
    <br /><br />

Is it weird that when I read the title I got hungry?&nbsp; :|
    &quot;Bullet in the brain pan, squish.&quot;

[quote author=Nowheregirl link=topic=4853.msg193537#msg193537 date=1171947009]
    Is it weird that when I read the title I got hungry?&nbsp; :|
    [/quote]

mmmm... cake :2tongue:
    <br /><br />

Next thing you know bar staff will be handing out cups for urine samples....
    &lt;----Cost effective

[quote author=Nowheregirl link=topic=4853.msg193542#msg193542 date=1171947624]
    Next thing you know bar staff will be handing out cups for urine samples....
    &lt;----Cost effective
    [/quote]

mmm.... samples :-P
    <br /><br />

[quote author=*peaches* link=topic=4853.msg193546#msg193546 date=1171947894]
    mmm.... samples :-P
    [/quote] :lol:

hmm

Does anyone else go to their local warehouse store when they're poor and hungry to eat all of the free samples or is that just me?&nbsp;

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=4853.msg195297#msg195297 date=1172074987]
    Does anyone else go to their local warehouse store when they're poor and hungry to eat all of the free samples or is that just me?&nbsp;
    [/quote]

haha yeah i go to costco and eat all their free samples

theyre actually pretty good

well at least when youre really hungy

[quote author=unknownperson516 link=topic=4853.msg195499#msg195499 date=1172082153]
    haha yeah i go to costco and eat all their free samples

theyre actually pretty good

well at least when youre really hungy
    [/quote]

You can also get a hotdog and a soda for like a dollar. That's some good stuff.

I pissed on one of these things right before I got my DWI.&nbsp; Its real affective let me tell you.

I love what my tax money goes for.

[quote author=Royal Pain link=topic=4853.msg195571#msg195571 date=1172084583]
    I pissed on one of these things right before I got my DWI.&nbsp; Its real affective let me tell you.

I love what my tax money goes for.
    [/quote]

What bar were you at? What did it say?

Fox and Hound, it had the &quot;you drink, you drive, you loose&quot; slogan on it.

I can't remember exactly what it said, but something like &quot;hey big fella, you probably had to many drinks to drive, time to call a cab&quot; or something to that affect.

[quote author=Royal Pain link=topic=4853.msg195591#msg195591 date=1172085675]
    Fox and Hound, it had the &quot;you drink, you drive, you loose&quot; slogan on it.

I can't remember exactly what it said, but something like &quot;hey big fella, you probably had to many drinks to drive, time to call a cab&quot; or something to that affect.
    [/quote]

That is hysterical! I especially enjoy the &quot;big fella&quot; part. As if a machine in a toilet flattering you will convince you not to drive home.&nbsp; :lol:

[quote author=LawChick link=topic=4853.msg195597#msg195597 date=1172085860]
    That is hysterical! I especially enjoy the &quot;big fella&quot; part. As if a machine in a toilet flattering you will convince you not to drive home.&nbsp; :lol:
    [/quote]

Yeah I know, I did enjoy pissing all over it though.&nbsp;

And it obviously didn't convince me to not drive home, instead I made it a few blocks, and the very friendly APD officers gave me a ride to jail instead.

DICKS!

[quote author=Royal Pain link=topic=4853.msg195613#msg195613 date=1172086267]
    Yeah I know, I did enjoy pissing all over it though.&nbsp;

And it obviously didn't convince me to not drive home, instead I made it a few blocks, and the very friendly APD officers gave me a ride to jail instead.

DICKS!
    [/quote]

That fucking sucks. I can't remember if you said you did a breathalizer or not.

Yeah I did, I blew a 0.11.

The cops had no reason to pull me over, and the field tests were conducted in that snow storm that we had last week, in the middle of jefferson, and they made me walk a curved line, not a straight one.

[quote author=Royal Pain link=topic=4853.msg195653#msg195653 date=1172087092]
    Yeah I did, I blew a 0.11.

The cops had no reason to pull me over, and the field tests were conducted in that snow storm that we had last week, in the middle of jefferson, and they made me walk a curved line, not a straight one.
    [/quote]

Who's your attorney? If you don't mind me asking....... It sounds like you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

DISCLAIMER: I AM IN NO WAY PROMOTING, ENDORSING, ENCOURAGING OR APPLAUDING DRIVING WHILE DRUNK. THANK YOU.

Thread Information